Chapter Three

The Red String

Finding out who EXO was and what they were doing was going to take a lot of research. Luckily for me, research was what I was best at. Although, there's a trick to research. It honestly depends on what you're looking for. For example, if you're going for a more traditional topic such as a certain time period in history or a type of object, then your best approach leans towards books and textual evidence. Cultural influences were hard to research by the books however,  so I decided to take a more logical approach; the internet.

It took me some time before I found anything useful. If I simply looked up the name in the search engine, out came irrelevant results. It was more logical to search it up on a social media site, such as Facebook or Twitter. Unfortunately, I wasn't signed up to any social media sites.

I decided to take a more direct approach instead.

"Excuse me," I said hesitantly, tapping the girl on her shoulder in a feeble attempt to catch her attention.  I was riding the same train as last time, hoping that I would at least see one of the girls that I eavsdropped on last time. I was lucky enough to see the third girl.

She looked up from her phone, a bit phazed by my presence. "Yes?" she asked in a small voice. I noticed that she wasn't as energetic as she was with her friends. So she's that kind of person, huh.

"...um," I began, trying to collect my thoughts and force sentences to form in my head. "I just-- from last time... ah..." I cleared my throat awkwardly.

"Are you okay?" she asked me, both of her eyebrows raised.

"Do you know anything about EXO?" I asked hesitantly.

She stared at me for a moment. She's probably thinking I'm some kind of freak. Damn, why did I even bother to ask her? I could always just ask someone at school or whatever--

"I do," she finally replied. I blinked at the sudden turn of events. She now had this freakishly vast smile on her face. "I'm a part of the fanclub at my school! If you're interested in EXO, you've come to the right girl," she replied, giving me a small wink.

I didn't expect that to be easy. Actually, I didn't expect her to be that easy.

"EXO is basically a group of twelve guys," she began, lowing her voice slightly, "who fight off other criminals or bad elements in this city. However, some of the things that they do go aganist the rules, like trespassing. They do a lot of unauthorized things also, like owning weapons and stuff." She paused, letting that last part sink in with a slow nod. "So they're against the police too. They're just as wanted as every other bad guy, but they aren't bad themselves. Just badass." She giggled.

I smiled. "So they're like the police, but they aren't with the police, right?" I asked once more.

She nodded. "Also, no one knows who they really are. But some people who've seen them say that they're all young. Probably in their senior years of highschool or just beginning college."

"Wait. You said that there was twelve of them right? How come I only sa-- How come I heard that there's only five or six of them?" I said, hoping she didn't catch my slip-up.

"That's because they're split into two groups. EXO-K protects the north side of the city, and EXO-M protects the south."

I nodded. I got all the information that I needed. "Thanks," I said, giving the girl a small smile. "My stop is next. It was nice talking to you."

She returned the grin, giving me a curt nod as she did so. "No problem. I'm Heehyeon, by the way," she introduced.

"Yujin," I replied, stepping near the doors as the train pulled to a stop. "I'll see you around!" I called off, being forced out of the car by other passengers.


How was I going to approach them anyway? It wasn't like I could just walk up to them if I see them and ask if I could meet them. That'd be unheard of. I spent the whole afternoon trying to come up with a plan to meet them, or an explanation to what sort of business I had with them.

It was hard. I had no relationship with them. I didn't know them or about their existence before the incident. I was only a witness. Even though one of them talked to me, it didn't necessarily mean that I knew them or anything. But...

One of them knew me now. That had to mean something, right?

That was the only logical explanation to give them (if we did meet, somehow.) Technically, I'm not a stranger to them. 

I was about to let my thoughts run wild once more before I violently got shoved foward from behind. I screamed as hot liquid scorched my back, biting my lip in the process. Various 'ooo's and 'oh my's filled the cafe before it turned dead silent. 

"Yah, you've done it now hyung!" said a familiar voice. 

I turned around, aggravated. There was a tall boy holding a cup, his mouth agape. His other friends were seated at their table, their mouths hanging open also. But then...

"You!" I gasped, pointing at the boy who I recognized as the masked stranger and the person on the train.

His eyes widened and he suddenly forced himself up from the table. ", Yujin!" The other members of EXO stood up with him. 

"Run!" screamed the tall boy who was holding the cup, and within seconds the six of them dashed out of the cafe.

Without thinking, I dashed after them. I didn't even pay attention to the coffee that was streaming down my back. The only thing I wanted to do was catch them and ask them all the millions of questions that were circulating in my mind. 

I'm not an athletic person. Running this much was beginning to tire me out. However, my keen eyesight helped me keep an eye on the boys who were trying to lose me in the massive crowd. I understood why they were leading me into such a heavily populated area; they were trying to throw me off by hiding themselves in the sea of people. 

I may not have been the best at running, but I was good at directing myself away from people. 

Under. Left. Right. I continued to dodge people until I slowly caught up to them. In a matter of seconds, cup boy was only a feet away from my grasp.

Come on!

With the last surge of energy that I had, I grabbed onto cup boy's body, pulling him to a stop as I planted both of my feet into the ground. He let out a sound of surprise, trying to squirm out of my grasp, but I had latched onto his waist in the confusion which gave me a better grip on his body. "Wait, guys!" he called out to his friends. I watched them as they turned back to look at us. "Luhan, you're so stupid! How could you let yourself get caught?" one of them said. Luhan groaned, trying to struggle free once more.

"Give me an explanation!" I exclaimed, tightening my grip on Luhan. 

"Listen, I'm sorry for spilling my coffee on you, so you can let go no--" 

"No! I'm talking about that time in the park." I said, staring straight at the boy who knew my name. He was staring at me with an unreadable expression. "I know who you guys really are. You guys are EX---?!"

Luhan's firm hand was clamped over my mouth. "Sh!" he whispered harshly. He sighed, turning to one of the other boys in the group. "Kris?" 

Kris nodded. "Alright. Come with us."