Chapter Four

The Red String

"Okay, so let me get this straight," Kris began.

The boys had taken me to their secret base. It was an abandonded warehouse near the highway that was located on the south side of the city. I tilted my head up to take in my surroundings. The high ceiling held several lights. Metal beams ran across and through eachother to support the weight of the warehouse, making sure it didn't fall over. The beams were probably wide enough for someone to walk across. The whole house was a rotten, rusty brown color, but you could still see that some silver pieces of metal managed to last. The place wasn't shabby, overall. They did as much as the could to shape up the area. A worn-out and broken in leather couch was placed in the middle of the vast area and a table in front of it. Love seats and single chairs surrounded the other side of the table, and several empty pizza boxes and soda cans were scattered all over the floor and table. 

In the corner, there was a refridgerator and a table with a microwave on it. A cooler on the floor next to the fridge housed several cans of beer and coco-cola. Turning my head, I noticed two different doors. The one on the right must've been the bathroom, because there was a huge stack of toilet paper next to the door. The other door... I wasn't sure. But a dubious warning sign dangled from the doorknob.

And lastly several sleeping bags and mattresses were placed in different random locations. One bed even had a teddy bear in the midst of the messy sheets. I let a small smile curl my lips at the small finding. I was sure to keep it at the back of my head.

"and that's why you're here?" he finished as I zoned back in.

Blinking twice, I realized that he was talking to me. I nodded my head slowly. 

Chen threw a nearby pillow at Tao. "Dude! How could you let your guard down like that? Now she knows who we are," he scolded, pointing an accusing finger at him.

My eyes were stuck on Tao. He was the masked person from that day. Now that I had a better look at him, he was actually quite handsome. If I didn't know any better, I would have thrown myself at him. I shook my head, feeling myself blush slightly. As I raised my head to look back at him, I jumped slightly seeing that he was already looking at me. "What are you looking at?" he snapped.

I averted my eyes. "Nothing, sorry."

"Whatever, what's done is done. It's not like we can erase her memory. We'll just have to deal with it," Kris said, letting out a loud sigh as he walked over to the couch. I frowned. Deal with it? Was I just some burden to them? Listen, I wasn't the wise- who blew your cover, unlike someone, was what I wanted to say. But I knew better. I leaned back in my chair and crossed my arms. "What's EXO-K going to say about this? Suho..." Luhan said, casting a glance in my direction.

"No. They're not going to find out about anything. This is going to stay our secret. Got it?" Tao said, looking at everyone in the room, except for me. EXO-M nodded, going about their business once the conversation was over. Tao walked over to me, his sharp eyes piercing mine. A shiver ran down my spine and I couldn't help but lean back in my chair as he kept coming closer. "And you," he said, his voice as cold as ice.

"Don't let this get to your head. I'm not your friend. Neither of us are," he mumbled before walking away. I sat in my seat speechless, watching the demon as he walked into the mystery door, slamming it shut so hard that the sign almost fell off of the doorknob. I bit my lip as I felt myself become tense. I was honestly so stupid. Of course they didn't want me here. I was just some burden to them now. And imagine, I wanted to look for them by myself? What kind of genuine idiot was I?

I let out a small sigh, my head dropping in shame. I suddenly wished to be back in my room studying.

Noticing my gloominess one of the boys, Xiumin, grabbed my hand and pulled me up from the chair. "Don't feel upset! Everyone's just a little bit shaken up by things. We've been having a lot of problems lately with the city and all, so having a pretty girl like you here is getting everyone uptight," he said, adding a wink to his statement. I let out a small laugh, my eyes dropping to the floor as my face turned beet red. That didn't even make any sense! I bet he was just looking for an excuse to compliment me.

Lay came over and slung an arm around my shoulder. "Yah! Don't listen to this guy, Yujin. He likes to flirt with anything that has s," Lay teased, sticking his tongue out at Xiumin. They both laughed as Xiumin reached over to punch Lay in the arm. I lightened up. At least some people were nice and welcoming, it made me feel a little better.

"Also," Xiumin began once more, "don't worry about Tao. He's probably feeling guilty that it's his fault or something."

Lay made a noise of agreement. "Yeah, just give him some time. He's a nice guy when you get to know him. He'll open up to you eventually."

I rubbed my arms as a chilling foreboding sensation took place at the bottom of my stomach. "Yeah... I'm sure he will," I said, my voice trailing off.


***sorry for the short chapter! please enjoy <3 ^^