Chapter One

The Red String

Wake up. Eat. Go to school. Come straight home. Study. Eat. Shower. Use the bathroom if I needed to. Sleep.

That's my super amazing spectacular life that I live everyday. 

Except for the weekends of course. Then it's studying and going to church.

I wasn't one for friends, or for hanging out, or for doing anything outdoors. I honestly don't know why, to be honest. But I just didn't feel the need to socialize or waste any of my time on tedious things like loving someone. Don't get me wrong, I love my family with all of my heart. Otherwise, no one else really seemed to come on to my list of people I cared about.

I had three goals I wanted to accomplish in my life: 1) Get a job. 2) Buy a house. 3) Die peacefully in my sleep.

Getting to goal three, meant I had to accomplish goal two, which can only come true if I accomplish goal one, which can only be accomplished by studying and doing well in school.

So tell me, why was I stuck here in the middle of the park? And without any academic material to study with for that matter?

My mind flashed back to this morning.

I removed my headphones from my ears and my mom entered through the my door, carrying a tray of ordervs with her. My stomach growled in approval at the divine smell. I always loved my mom's snacks since she was a culinary artist. Her food was always amaing, whether it was a gourmet dinner dish, or a plate of cookies.

"Thanks mom," I say, giving her a smile before dropping my head back to my science textbook. I waited to hear a resounding, 'You're welcome sweetie!' and a click of my door, but it never came. I glanced back up, surprised to see that she was still standing in my room. 

"Are you okay mom? You look kind of upset..." My voice trailed off as she perched herself on my bed. 

"You know Yujin, you're almost seventeen now," she started.

I put down my mechanical pencil and shut off my desk light before turning my chair to face her. "Well yeah, that would seem to be the case."

"--but you know, I've never seen you do anything but study." 

I raised my eyebrows. "So I can't study?"

"No! That's not what I'm saying," she said, holding up both of her hands. She sighed before continuing. "Listen, sweetheart. I'm so, so, so very proud of you. You do so amazing in school. You've been on the honor roll every year since the second grade, and you were valedictorian in middle school. But... don't you have any hobbies? Don't you ever want to hang out with some friends afterschool or on the weekends? Don't you want a boyfriend?"

I bit my lip at that last sentence.

"I get that you want to be successful in life. But it's just that there's a balance between work and fun. And you haven't been balancing the amount of fun that you need. You're young! You're in high school. You should be going out into the world and trying new things!" She stood up, her eyes sparkling bright. "I kept my mouth shut and didn't want to say anything, but don't you want to let loose once in a while?"

I cracked a sarcastic smile at her. "Hey, you know what's fun? Writing this history paper," I said, turning around and reaching for my notebook. 

I squeal as she dragged my computer chair out of my room and into the hallway. "You need to get outside young lady!" she singsonged, closing my bedroom door as she reached for her wallet. "That's an order and not a plea." She shoved a handful of money into my pocket. "Now go spend that on some new clothes for yourself, or on anything you like, and don't come back until you have had some fun!" she pestered, pushing me out of the house and slamming the front door behind me.

I groaned, leaning my head back against the bench I was sitting on. From this angle, all I could see was the clear blue sky. There wasn't even a single cloud in it. I sat back upright again, fixing my posture before inhaling and exhaling deeply. Mom was right and I was just denying it. Fresh air was nice once in a while. 

Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Little kids chased each other around the playset, and mothers chatted away with one another. Some families and couples were on picnics. I turned my head to the right and enjoyed the sight of a boy and his father throwing a football back an forth to one another. 

It all seemed a little too perfect. 

"Hey! Get your hands off of me!" a female voice cried out. 

People nearby, including me, turned around to see what all of the commotion was about.

A young girl who appeared to be around her early twenties was being assaulted by a group of middle aged men. I cringed at the sight. Men are disgusting​. "C'mon! Just hang with us for a little bit," one of them cooed, slinging his fat arm around her shoulder. I could see the panic in her eyes. Suddenly everything wasn't so perfect anymore.

I stood up from the bench, becoming a little frightened. Other families and couples started to walk away from the scene. Everyone else was too afraid to do anything. "Oh god, what to do..." I bit my lip. What were you supposed to do in situations like these? I had to call the police. I mentally slapped myself as I reached into my pocket only to find it empty. "! I must've left it on my desk," I cursed. What else was I supposed to do? I couldn't walk in on the situation alone and unarmed. That'd be putting myself in danger too. However I couldn't walk away from the situation.

They began to drag her away against her will. Most of the crowd left the park. I started to freak out. Seeing no other option, I inhaled a shaky breath before stepping foward.

A hand stopped me. I turned around, surprised to see a boy in a hoodie and ski mask stop me. "I wouldn't do that if I were you," he warned, his voice a little smug. Even though I should've screamed for my life and ran away from the masked stranger, I didn't. I was too worried about the lady to care. 

"But what about that girl?!" I asked, my arms pressed to my chest. 

He nodded back in their direction. "Don't worry. My friends just arrived," he replied with a wink.

"What..?" I turned back to the scene, my eyes widening at the sight.

Five other guys ran into the situation, all of them wearing ski masks. One of the boys grabbed the girl while the other four began to take on the three men. The girl ran away screaming and crying, out of the park and out of sight. "God, I hope she's okay," I mumbled to myself, feeling the guilt wash over me. I wasn't able to do anything to save her.

The boys seemed to know karate, or a form of self-defence. The expertly dodged the attackers' sloppy and messy punches. One of the hooded boys uppercutted the tallest man, sending him crashing to the floor. At this point police sirens could be heard wailing in the distance. Everyone engaged in the fight stopped moving, alarmed.

"! I'm out of here!" one of the attackers screamed, fleeing from the scene. His friend followed before glancing back at their comrade who was passed out on the grass. The five boys all laughed before running off in the opposite direction.

Forgetting one of them stood next to me, I turned around, only surprised to see that he wasn't standing there. Turning back to them, he was running far behind them because of the late start he had.

"Wait!" I called, sprinting after him until he stopped running to turn back at me. "--Thank you! I would have gotten myself involved if you and your friends hadn't showed up."

He smiled. Oh god.

"What's your name?" he asked me, pulling up his hood as he did so. 

"Yujin."

"Yujin," he hummed. The boy winked. "I'll remember that." 

With that, he left me standing there. Suddenly, my life wasn't so normal anymore.