Chapter Nine

Pinky Promise

Rain drops hit on Donghae's umbrella as he waited anxiously outside the cafe for his father to come. It was already dark after he bid Hyukjae farewell.

Under the same sky, but a different time. A night where Donghae's father also waited anxiously. 

[flashback of Donghae's dad]

"Ji Haek!!!" A young man with dark red hair ran through the street towards Ji Haek. Ji Haek waited by the dark corner around the street, pacing back and forth. Just by the voice, he could tell that it's his lover... Lee Yoon Sung. Yoon Sung had always been a little bit of a rebel, but that's what Ji Haek liked about him. The rain poured on Yoon Sung's newly dyed hair, the dye came off a little. The dripping dye was red wine running down his cheek, or it may have seemed like blood. 

Yoon Sung's terrified face got closer to Ji Haek. he whispered in a hushed voice, "Leave now!!" He tried to push Ji Haek away, "Run away before the police gets you!" 
"Then what about you? I'm not going anywhere without you!" Ji Haek screamed back with an unusual loud voice. 
Yoon Sung placed a kiss on Ji Haek that shut his voice out. 
"They already saw me, I told you, RUN!!" Yoon Sung continued, his voice battling with the sound of raindrops. 
"Then what about my son? Donghae is too young!" Ji Haek said worriedly. 
"I will take care of everything! I SAID, RUN!" Yoon Sung hollered at Ji Haek. 

[flashback ends, Donghae's dad begins to talk]

"It was then... because of my debts... I fought a lot with your mother. It was that one night that I.... that I.... wanted to leave her. Yoon Sung... " Donghae's father sobbed, Donghae stared at him with a solemn expression. "That night... Yoon Sung came back, and all I wanted to do was leave. I don't want to deal with all these problems anymore... And I told your mother that I don't wanna be with her anymore... but she loved me so much, she didn't want me to leave despite all these"

A distilled silence.

"Then, your mother took a knife. I was horrified.. I didn't know what to do, I never wanted it to end like this!!" Donghae's dad screamed in silence. " I struggled with her... It all happened too quickly.. I just.... then somehow, somehow... we were holding the knife and it stabbed in her chest.... Yoon Sung came over immediately. He pressed his hand onto the knife... and he called the cops. Then he made me run for my life." 

He said. "I owe you this. I owe you this..."

"H-ow?" Donghae's voice cracked. His dry lips opened up, barely making an audible sound.

"His parents... were the one who separated us. "

The night ended with their conversation.

Wet and drenched clothes and sneakers
I turn off and turn on the boiler
Whatever I do, it doesn’t dry
Is that how I feel or is it not?
A confusing set of questions and answers


" Babo Hyukjae... you think I would hate you for this? There's no need to leave.... come back..." Donghae whispered into the silent night as he walked back to his apartment.

A rush of cold air filled the apartment as Donghae opened the door, but it was nothing compared to the coldness felt in his heart. 
Because he is now alone.

Is this sound of the rain, your voice?
Is this a sound that calls to me? Am I the only one thinking of you?
Will this rain comfort me?
Do you know how I feel? I keep thinking of you