Chapter Eight

Pinky Promise

Hyukjae walked towards the funeral room. His heart is restless, he doesn't know what to feel anymore. He came to pay his respect, surprised to find that there are actually about eight people there when he thought there would be no one except for the "old friend" that organized this funeral. People that he had never seen before. Hyukjae looked around, his mom isn't there.

A guy stood in front of Hyukjae's dad's picture. Hyukjae feel his heart pounding against his chest when he approach that person. That person turned around, meeting Hyukjae's eyes, "You finally came." he said.

That person is the same one from the photo in the letter. Except now, his face is covered with wrinkles, his skin color darkened, and his hair now has strands of whiteness in between the black. These are traces of his maturity, traces of obstacles he overcame and traces of sadness he went through. 

"You are Hyukjae, right?" The middle aged man held out his hand to Hyukjae, "I'm Lee Ji Haek." 
Hyukjae shook his hand, his heart feels like it had been held on a thin string, "Do you know Lee Donghae?" 
"Yes. That's my son. Why?" 
Hyukjae felt the thin string snap, his heart fell right there.
Although he was pretty sure of it, it still hurt him unexpectedly when he has to face the truth. 

"Clock.. clockk...clockk.." The sound of leather shoes came around the corner from the hallway. Hyukjae turned, Donghae walked through the door in a black suit. Donghae was shocked to see Lee Hyukjae here. Shocked that the funeral his father told him to attend because it is someone important to his father... is Hyukjae's father's funeral. 

They stared at each other, not knowing what to say.
"Donghae... actually, the one who got my father in prison... was your dad." Hyukjae wanted to say this but he doesn't know how to begin.
"Why didn't you tell me about your father? Why is my father at your father's funeral?" Donghae wanted to know but doesnt know what to ask first.

**************************

Hyukjae recalled the conversation with Mr. Lee Soo Man from few days ago. 

"Hyukjae..., now I know you have endless capacity of talent. I contacted a famous dance teacher from the U.S, and I asked if he can teach one of my company's talented trainee. Going aboard to the U.S. for maybe a few years. Now, there are many runner ups behind you, many talented ones in this company. But in my heart, I know that you have the greatest potential. So I decided to ask you first, do you want to go? A bright future is right ahead of you, I will give you time to think, but I have faith in you that you wouldn't just let this chance slip away between your fingers. Tell me by the end of this week, okay?" Mr. Lee Soo Man patted Hyukjae on the shoulders. "Umm.. Thank you very much..." Hyukjae faked a smile on his face and bowed to Mr. Lee Soo Man. 

*****************************

Right now, with Donghae right in front of his face. Hyukjae took a deep breath and walked shakily towards him. He stopped right next to Donghae, their shoulders lined up but each facing opposite direction. He looked at Donghae's dad in the corner of the room and nodded. 

"Donghae... I'm sorry that I couldn't explain this to you earlier... I just found out not long ago. But it would be better for your dad to explain this to you. It's actually not my business to tell... And I've decided to go to the U.S for dance training for a few years maybe. I will be leaving tomorrow." He spoke quickly in one shot. 

"What?.... What are you talking about?!" Donghae's eyes widened in disbelief. He turned and grabbed Hyukjae's shoulder. "Why??? Why didn't you tell me earlier? I thought we said we would be together forever? Are those all lies? Why? Why are you abandoning me? I know you are not going because of the benefits, so why? Why.........." Donghae's tears hit on the hard wooden floor. 

Hyukjae didn't have the heart to hold Donghae anymore, he simply said, "You will know when you hear the story from your dad...Also... Don't hate me..." Hyukjae choked on his words, he walked away from Donghae, loosening Donghae's grip on his shoulder. Donghae lost his strand of hope, taking his dad's hand and screamed, "Dadddd!!! Tell me what's going on!!!!!" Sobbing with a broken voice, he cried out for an explanation. Donghae's father held Donghae by the shoulders tightly but calmly said, "Donghae. This is not the time for it now. Look around. This is not the time for this. You are grown up now, and you must know what's the right time to say anything. I promise you I will tell you tomorrow, okay?" Donghae felt his voice interrupted the solemness of the funeral, ashamed of his own yelling, he quietly sobbed and left the funeral.