Chapter 5: Introductions

You're Too Beautiful

A sudden ringing noise woke up my senses. I look at the clock from my nightstand and it was flashing the time. 6AM. What’s today? Monday. Ughh, I start school today. Can’t I go back to sleep?! With that thought, I dragged my lazy self to the bathroom to go shower and get ready for school. After the shower, I walked into my closet to try on my uniform. It was pretty easy to find since it was the only outfit in the closet hung up and on display. It was a white button up with a navy blue collar and a navy blue a line skirt that reached above the tip of the knees. I looked at myself in the mirror one last time, and there were some cuts on my legs that were extremely visible compared to others and some were just dark brown scars to be healed. I needed some white high knee socks real bad. Hopefully that’s allowed there.

“Mrs. Choi!” I called out. I waited for a little bit, but she never came inside. Oh wait! I can call her on the telephone. I quickly searched her number up and called her to come to my room immediately.

 

She knocked on the door and I told her she could just come inside.

 

“You were looking for me dear?” she asked.

 

“Oh yes, Mrs. Choi I was,” I replied.

 

“What is it dear?” she said.

 

“Well, I was wondering if there are any white knee high socks I can borrow for my legs.”

 

“Well what’s wrong with them?”

 

“I have a lot of cuts.”


“They might not be that bad. Let me have a look.”

 

I turned around to face her properly.

 

“Oh dear! What did you do in America?!”

 

“Uhhh, I just played outdoors often. I’m a klutz so I got hurt a lot.” Gosh, hopefully she bought that lie.

 

“Oh poor you sweetheart. Let’s see, I placed the socks in the dresser over there along with the other things for uniform.”

 

“Thank you Mrs. Choi!” I walked over to to the dresser and found exactly what was needed.

 

“If you’re finished, let’s head out to breakfast?”

 

“Oh yes, yes. I’m coming!”

 

We both headed downstairs to the dining room where Appa, his wife and Woo Jin Oppa were already seated at the table eating breakfast.

 

“Good morning  Jin Ae,” my brother said as soon as I sat down.

 

“Morning Oppa,” I said as I searched for what to eat at the table.

 

“Jin Ae,” Appa said as he lowered his squared frames towards my direction. I’ll take that as a greeting I guess.

 

“Good morning to you too Appa,” I replied.

 

I started to eat breakfast in peace after greeting everyone.

 

"Jin Ae? Aren't you going to greet your mother?" Appa asked.

 

"Mom is still at work Appa," I answered.

 

"Not your mother in America, your mother right here," Appa corrected.

 

I look towards his direction and I see my wicked stepmother anticipating a greeting from me. Before I could get scolded any further, I quickly greeted her and she replied back with a bitter smile.

 

“I’m assuming that the two of you made up from your little incident during last night’s dinner?” Appa asked.

 

Before I could answer his question properly, Omonim replies,”Of course yeobo,” she tightly grasped his arm,”It took a while, she had to slap me in the face too. Omo yeobo, it hurt so much! But I stayed strong, and kindly disciplined her. Only then did she apologize for her wrongdoings.”

 

“You did what?!” Appa looked like he was starting to boil up as he dropped his fork and clenched his fist.

 

“I didn’t slap her! I-I didn’t even touch her! Appa you have to believe me!” I said as I stood up from my seat.

 

“Omo omo ya, yeobo! Look at her, lying to you! I was right about what I said last night. Her mother has taught her no manners! No wonder you wanted her to live here. She needs to learn the proper way to respect others,” Omonim said as she clenched onto Appa.

 

“You know what?!” I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before I continued, “I-”

 

“ Will be late if I don’t leave for school in two minutes,” Woo Jin Oppa butted in,”that’s what Jin Ae meant to say. Aren’t I right Jin Ae?”

 

I looked at the time and it was 7:38. It took 10 minutes to get to school, and I needed to get there at least 10 minutes before school started so I can be introduced to the principal and get a tour of the campus.

 

“Umm, right Oppa,” I stuttered a bit,”If you will excuse me, I need to finish getting ready.” I immediately fled the dining room and headed back to my room before I could hear anyone else try and pull me back to the scene. After I brushed my teeth, I put on my shoes and head back downstairs.

 

“I’m ready!” I said,”Who’s is going to take me to school?”

 

“I will,” Oppa stood up from the couch,”I have to head out to the company soon anyways.”

 

“Are you sure Woo Jin-ah? I was just about to have the driver prepare the car to take Jin Ae to school,” Appa said as looked up from his phone.

 

“No worries Appa. I’ll take her to school. It’s Jin Ae’s first day. In fact, I wanted to say hello to Sun Chang Songsaengnim,” Woo Jin Oppa replied.

 

“Well then, please do extend my regards to him. Good luck on your first day of school Jin Ae,” he came over to me and gave me a hug,” I’ve missed you Princess.”

 

“I’ve missed you too Appa,” I hugged him back tightly and walked into the garage with Woo Jin Oppa.

 

We got inside his white Maserati GranTurismo Convertible and left for school.

It was awkwardly silent in the car. The only thing heard was the running of the engine and other cars running outside. We stopped at a red light and I was about to say something, but Oppa beat me to it,”What Omonim said, wasn’t true, was it?”

 

I face down and shook my head. I was afraid that he was going to react like how Appa did earlier.

 

“It’s okay, I believe you,” he said as he patted my head. The light turned green and he returned both hands back to the wheel and proceeded driving.

 

“You do?” I asked as I looked up at him.

 

“Of course. I always had a bad feeling about her ever since Appa introduced me to her. She was fake to me too around him when I was younger. I worried that she would do the same thing to you, and I was right.”

 

“Chan Joon Samchon did say something about her. I just didn’t want to believe it was true.”

 

“Well, sadly, she’s just two-faced. It’ll be really tough to get used to being with her. Trust me, I’m still not used to it, and I’ve been around her for 14 years. That’s why I was glad to finally get an apartment of my own.”

 

“Are you saying I have to live with her and Appa alone?!”

 

“No. Well, not really. More like, Omonim, and the house staff. Appa and I are mostly at the company. We usually come home around dinner time or shortly after that. I have the apartment because it’s much closer to the company and if I need some alone time.”

 

“Ohhh, so like a man cave?”

 

“Yeah, like that. A man cave I guess you can say.”

 

“A man cave to do fun manly things?”

 

“Yes! Exactly! Fun manly things! Spot on Jin Ae!”

 

“Oh god Oppa. I didn’t know that you were like that. Awkward. Well I guess it’s okay, you are an adult.”

 

“Mwoh?” He asked confused,”Yah-yah-yah! Jin Ae! Not what you’re thinking! I’m not that kind of person!”

 

“It’s okay Oppa, your secret is safe with me. Yaksokae!”

 

“Back to the subject earlier, Although Appa and I aren’t home often, you can always call me on my cell phone if you need someone else to talk to. I’ll do my best to answer, unless it’s busy at the company.”

 

“Thanks Oppa, you’re not as bad as I thought you would be.”

 

“Well, we’re here! Whimoon High School!” Oppa said as he drove into the parking lot.

 

We got out of the car simultaneously and he led me to the office to meet the principal.

 

“Ahaha, Han Woo Jin? Is that you?” A short round man opened the door with a big smile on his face.

 

“Yes Songsaenim. It’s been a while,” Woo Jin Oppa bowed to him in respect of the man in charge. We followed suit and entered his office.

 

“How have you been doing these days?” he asks.

 

“I’ve been well. The company has been continuing its success. And you Kim Songsaengnim?” Oppa says.

 

“I’m still the same as I’ve been before. Well what brings you here?”

 

“I’m here to introduce you to my dongsaeng, Han Jin Ae,”Oppa introduces us,”Jin Ae, this is your principal, Kim Sun Chang Songsaengnim.”

 

I noticed as the principal’s eyes moved from Oppa to mine. His big round eyes became larger as he saw me,”Well, nice to meet you, Han Jin Ae,” he said in English.

 

“The pleasure is mine Sir,” I replied back in Korean as I bowed.

 

‘Wah, your dongsaeng can speak Korean Woo Jin?” he asked shocked. I guess my “foreign” features threw him off.

 

“Yes Songsaengnim. Fluently as well,” Oppa answered.

 

“Well, well, well then. I guess we won’t have any problems communicating. Now I do remember your father calling me and making sure that everything is well set for your arrival at the school. I have your schedule and handbook here.” He handed me a folder with the contents contained inside.

 

‘Thank you Songsaengnim,” I said.

 

“C’mon, let’s go outside so I can give you a tour of the campus and show where your classes are,” Kim Saem brought us out the door and around the campus. A few minutes passed and into our tour, the bell rang to head to first period. Kim Saem led Oppa and I to where my first period was, which was Korean Language.

 

“Here it is, room 125. Korean Language with Lee Songsaengnim,” Kim Saem said.

 

“I’ll see you at home tonight Jin Ae. Hwaiting!” Oppa gave me a hug before leaving with Kim Saem.

 

“I’ll walk you into class Jin Ae.”

 

I nodded as an okay signal and he opened the door. 29 other heads of high school students turned towards our direction as well as the teacher’s.

 

“Lee Saem, no need to look scared. I’m here to drop off our new student, Han Jin Ae. She’s the daughter of Han Chan Ho of Han Travels,” Kim Saem said.

 

“Ohhh, I see. Jin Ae, it’s a great pleasure to meet you. Please introduce yourself to the class.” Lee Songsaengnim told me.

 

“Um Annyeong. I’m Han Jin Ae. I’m 17 years old. I’m from California and I hope that we’ll get along well,” I shyly muttered. As a reply, all I got were blank and wide eyed stares from my peers. Well it looks like it’s going to be tough to adjust here as well.

 

“Well, welcome to Whimoon High School Jin Ae. Please do take the empty seat next to that young man over there. He will be your partner for all group assignments in this class,” Lee Saem pointed to the seat where I assigned to. “Well, now let’s carry on with the lesson shall we.”

 

I placed my backpack down and shyly smiled at my new seat partner. He smiled back at me revealing pearly whites and a crescent moon eye smile. He seemed quite taller than me, considering that I was only 5 feet and ½ inches. Yes, the half inch counts. He had quite long locks for a guy that reached up to his shoulders and his skin was probably as pale as the paper in my notebook. Okay, I take that back, that’s exaggerating, but he was very lightskinned. As the period went on, I felt pairs of eyes watching my every move, and discreet whispers following immediately afterwards. I turn around and check my surroundings, but everyone else was focused on the lesson, or so it seemed. Later on, the mini side conversations got slightly loud enough for me to hear them.

 

“New student? A foreigner? No way.”

 

“She isn’t going to last long here.”

 

“There’s no way that she’s Han Chan Ho’s daughter.”

 

“Illegitimate child maybe?”

 

“Maybe she’s here to steal money from her father. He is one of the most successful businessmen here.”

 

“If she thinks she can pass without doing any work, and using her family name, then she’s wrong.”

 

“She probably try and up to the male teachers by doing them some favors, if you know what I mean.”

 

“Look at her, she wouldn’t use those curves for nothing.”

 

They were all feeding into my brain. All at once. It’s only the first period of the day. The weight of all the talk brought my head down and tears out of my eyes. The bell suddenly rang and class was dismissed to go to the next class. Everyone was packing up quickly and heading out to their second period.

 

“Do you need help going to your next class?” I looked up and it was my seat partner who asked the question. I’m assuming he noticed my flushed face and swollen features from crying as he panicked,”Are you okay? Did something happen suddenly?”

 

“I’m okay,” I silently replied,”It was a tough morning.” Another tear slipped my eye.

 

He reached out and wiped my tear away from my face,”Don’t cry. Girls don’t look pretty crying. You’re too beautiful to cry. I’ll help get to your next class. Where is it?”


Thank you,” I tried to smile at him to seem a bit more cheerful,”it’s Calculus with Kim Songsaengnim. Room 342.”

 

“I know where that is! It’s on the way to my next period. I’ll show you,” he offered.

 

The guy led me to my class and dropped me off right in front of the door, “Here it is. Room 342.”

 

“Thank you so much for your help. You won’t be late will you?” I ask.

 

“Nope. My class is just a few doors down the hall. I can always tell Saem that I was helping you get to class.”

 

“Oh.. I see. Well thank you once again. I never got your name by the way.” I said.

 

“It’s -” he said.

 


AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hi guys! Back again! My laptop had this crazy virus that took over and I haven't gotten it cleaned until recently and now it's back and running! Yay! Also, I just started school again around a month ago, and there has been so much going on, it's insane. I tried squeezing in time to write though from here and there. So please be patient with me. It's pretty late where I live so I'll go over and edit everything tomorrow. I just wanted to lay out another installment of the story before I procrastinate on it once again. Hopefully you guys are enjoying it so far. I'll try and update a bit more frequently but no promises! Take care everyone and happy reading!