Chapter 4: Welcome Home

You're Too Beautiful

“Let’s go! Let’s go!” Chan Joon Samchon sang as he got out of the car.

 

I followed suit and received my hand carry and a luggage from him as he took care of the rest. We left the garage and walked out to the front door since Samchon wanted my first entrance to my new home to be beautiful or whatever. He rang the doorbell and seconds later it opened, revealing the face of tall, skinny, handsome young man in a black dress suit and tie. His skin was white and milky. His short and shiny black hair was gelled up. The man had a round face with a sharp jawline. His mono-eyelided eyes looked sharp and serious while talking to Samchon, but soon turned into a bright eye-smiling duo as he showed his pearly whites to me. His words were inaudible as I was busy studying who this stranger was. After a while, Samchon and I were welcomed inside and were left at the front of the foyer.

 

“Psst. Samchon,” I whisper.

 

He bends down to my height and whispers back,”What’s up Jin Ae?”    

 

“Who was that man at the door?” I ask.

 

“You really don’t know?” He questions.

 

“Nope, that’s why I’m asking you Samchon,” I reply.

 

“Well, that’s your Woo Jin Oppa,” he says.

 

“Him?! Jinja?! We look nothing alike!” I loudly whisper.

 

“That’s what I thought. You must take after your mother a lot.”

 

“Samchon! Jin Ae! Dinner is ready!” Woo Jin says as he returns from wherever.

 

“What about my bags?” I ask.

 

“Oh, we’ll have the maids take your belongings to your room,” Woo Jin Oppa replies.

 

I followed the two older men into the dining room and two strangers that I am assuming are Appa and his wife, were already seated at the head of the table. They both stood up at our entrance and I bowed to greet them.

 

“Annyeongasaeyo. Han Jin Ae-imida,” I said.

 

“Jin Ae, welcome home,” My father says as he comes over to hug me.

 

I stood there motionless as he wrapped his arms around me. I wasn’t sure how to react. This is the man who left my mother and I when I was two, without contact for 14 years. I can’t just allow him to walk back into my life. To describe what Appa looks like, he was pretty tall, I’m assuming 6’1. His black hair was combed to the right and patches of gray hairs were scattered around his head. He had a chubby and round face with a few stretch marks and wrinkles here and there as a sign of aging. He had mono eyelided smiling eyes like Oppa, except his sat on top faint eye bags from lack of sleep I guess. These smiling eyes seem to be genetic. He did have a pot belly, but it was hidden a bit from his business suit that he wore.

 

“This your stepmother, Lee Mi Sook,” he gestured to the lady next to him.

 

“Ah, Jin Ae, pleased to meet you. You’re as beautiful as your father claimed you were.  Just call me Omonim or Omma. Whichever one suits your liking,” She squeezes me so tight that her perfume plugged my nose.

 

Gross. She smells like she dumped the whole bottle on her clothes mixed with cigarettes. Ugh, she smokes too?! The stench reeks. Anyways about Appa’s wife’s appearance (I still refuse to call her Omma right now), she was probably 5’6. She had short brown wavy hair that reached the tips of her shoulders. She was as pale as a ghost, or maybe that was from the heavy amount of foundation that caked her face. She had small double eyelids that also sat on top of bags. Her face was also covered in a few wrinkles here and there. Her cheeks looked very stiff as she smiled at me. Botox. I knew it. She still looks old, so obviously that plastic surgeon didn’t do such a good job. Anyways, she had a very thin figure. Maybe because of her tall height compared to mine, but I think I was chubbier than her.

 

We all took our seats at the table and my father started talking while the food was being served.

 

“Thank you Chan Joon for bringing my daughter home safely from the airport,” he said.

 

“Aye, no problem Chan Ho Hyung. It was my pleasure. Jin Ae and I were able to become quite close, haven’t we Jin Ae?” He turns to me and anticipates my answer.

 

“Yeaaaaaaah Samchon. We have,” I laugh as I reply.

 

“Assa!” He raises his hand up for a high five.

 

I respond back to his high five while laughing. I noticed Woo Jin Oppa was giggling at our antics, but we earned glares from Appa and his wife.

 

“Jweseonghmida Hyung-nim,” Chan Joon Samchon slightly bows.

 

“All is forgiven Chan Joon,” Appa replies.

 

“Now,  Jin Ae,” Appa turns to face me,”I know this is a bit of a rush, but you’ll be starting school tomorrow at Whimoon High School. It’s nearby the office so you have easy access to get us when needed, and vise versa. They hold quite a very nice reputation, and I am very close with the staff and faculty of the school. The principal should be willing to help you adjust to the new school and assist you to getting to your classes. Understand?”

 

“Nae Appa,” I answered.

 

“Also, this is Jung Hee. She’s one of the ladies here who help around the house, and I have now appointed her to be in charge of you. She shall be the one who attends to your needs here in the house if none of us are available,” he says as he points to the middle aged lady who walked into the dining room.

 

I stood up and bowed to her,”Annyeongasaeyo. Han Jin Ae-imida.”

 

“Ahh, Jin Ae, nice to meet you. Call me your imo, or if that makes you feel uncomfortable, call me Mrs. Choi,” she replied.

 

“Now Jin Ae, finish up dinner and get ready for bed. You need to wake up early for school,” Appa instructed.

 

“What about unpacking my belongings Appa?” I asked.

 

“Just unpack the necessities I suppose. Jung Hee can help you and tomorrow after school, you two can finish up,” he said.

 

I just nodded and rushed to finish my food.

 

“Jin Ae, don’t eat your food too quickly. We don’t want you to choke,” Woo Jin Oppa told me with a worried expression.

 

“Mianhae Oppa,” I said with a mouthful of rice in my mouth. Awwwh, he cares. How kind.

 

“Omo omo omo, look at that Yeobo! She talks with her mouthful! How disgusting and improper! Yah Jin Ae! Were you not taught any table manners by your mother at home?!” Mi Sook, or should I say Omonim exclaims.

 

And with just that, I was boiled. Yeah, I have a short temper. But not only did she insult me, she insulted my mother about how she raised me. Who does she think she is?! Just because she’s married to my father doesn’t mean she will automatically fill in the mother position, especially if she’s just going to say rude things like that on first meeting. I immediately pushed my chair back and stood up. Everyone’s eyes were fixed on me to see what my next move would be.

 

“I’m done,” I said with my mouth full once again just to piss of stepmom. Her expression seemed furious. She looked as if she wanted to complain about me more, but I bet her to the next move. I dropped my spoon on my plate and walked up the stairs of the foyer to go find my room. The dining table was swept with silence except for the clatter of the spoon still spazzing around on the plate.

 

Mrs. Choi followed me up the stairs immediately and showed me to my room. The space was really big actually. I had my own bathroom and a walk in closet with a full body mirror on the inside door and outside door and another one at the end of the closet. The walls were painted a cream color and beautiful crystal chandelier hung in the center of the room. The king sized bed stood at the back in the middle which was parallel to the flat screen television that hung against the wall. It had pink, blue and black pillows placed on it with a splatter print comforter covering itself. A large black and white vanity table to do my makeup (if i actually used makeup) was set off to the side parallel to the entrance of my bathroom. Now, that I think about it, all the furniture in this room was black and white except for the bed. The couches switched off with each cushion and the coffee table was checkerboard print as well. On the left side of bed, was my desk. Probably where I will spend most of my time sleeping for future assignments to procrastinate on and whatnot. On the right side, I had a tiny nightstand with a cute lamp and an empty photo frame to put a future photo in. The nightstand also had a telephone and list of everyone’s mobile numbers and shortcut contacts around the house. Seems pretty convenient so I wouldn’t have to shout around everywhere. I walked into the bathroom which seemed very spacious as well. Lights surrounded the widespread mirror above the sink and it had containers for me to place whatever facial cleansing products I used, if I actually did use those type of products. There was a bathtub and a separate shower area for well showers obviously. The flooring was made up of black and white tiles which I guess ties up the whole entire black and white concept. After observing everything, I went back to my room and started to unpack a couple basic things with the help of Mrs. Choi.

 

“Jin Ae?” Mrs Choi calls.

 

“Yes Mrs. Choi?” I reply.

 

“About earlier with your stepmother, are you okay? We all know she came off a little bit harsh on you with what she said.”

 

“Ohhh. I’m fine Mrs. Choi. I kind of forgot about what happened. It’s whatever now I guess.”

 

“Okay. I understand. Well, I think we finished up packing whatever will be need until tomorrow. I shall head off to my room now, if that’s fine with you.”

 

“Wait! Mrs. Choi! Where’s my rose painting?!” I instantly panicked since I have not seen it since I have arrived in Korea yet.

 

“Relax dear, I set it on the coffee table over there. Do you need help putting it up anywhere?” She asked.

 

“Oh no, thank you Mrs. Choi. You made head off to bed now. I’m just going to clean up and go to bed. Good night,” I said.

 

“Good night my dea-”

 

My door bursted open and my stepmother barged into my room looking furious,”You!” she pointed towards me,”We need to talk. NOW. Jung Hee, get out of the room.”

 

Mrs. Choi left the room at once which left Omonim and I alone in my room.

 

“There’s a door, have you not heard of knocking before?” I said as I was pinning up Mama’s painting nearby my bed.

 

“And every door has a door knob for anyone to open it. Now listen little one. I don’t know how highly you think of yourself in the house, but someone is going to have to take of your crown. You are in my house, my rules. You have to respect me at all times. I am in charge here and you have to do whatever I say,” Omonim says.

 

“Well, technically, this is my Appa’s house. So, he’s in charge, not you,” I mumbled under my breath.

 

“What did you just say to me?!”

 

“Appa is in charge! Not you! Get out of my room right now! Just because you’re married to my father doesn’t mean anything! Now leave!” I yelled.

 

She drew her hand back and slapped my face.

 

“That nasty attitude of yours, we’re going to fix that,” she said as she moved closer to my face.

 

As once as I she moved close enough, I blew in her face which caused her to shriek in disgust.

 

“You are unbelievable! Your mother obviously did an awful job raising you,” she began her way out the door but turned around once more,”By the way, that painting of yours, it’s hideous. Why would you ever want to keep something like that. Well I guess that awful personality of yours had to come with awful taste. Good night Jin Ae, and welcome home.” She shut my lights off without my permission and slammed the door once again. Her high pitched cackles could be heard outside my door and it was utterly annoying. Samchon was right. I hate her. I already can’t stand her. Omma. Gross. Does she really think I’m actually going to call her that?! A tear slipped past my eye followed by many many more.

 

Flashback (3rd person)

 

“Rainabow, I’m going to teach you a valuable lesson right now, so listen up!”

 

“What is it Aunt Jo?” A seven year old Raina asked.

 

“Whenever a person’s face you don’t like comes up too close to you,” she began.

 

“Like this Aunt Jo?” Raina demonstrated by moving closer to her but still a few inches away.

 

“No, Sweetie. Like this.” she moved in even closer to the point where the two were head butting.

 

“Okay, and so?” Little Raina asked.

 

“Blow your breath in their face and they’ll go away,” Aunt Jo said.

 

Raina did as her aunt told her to and they both ended up giggling.

 

“Just like that Rainabow! Good job!” Aunt Jo cheered her on.

 

“Thanks Aunt Jo! But why do I have to do that?” she asked puzzled.

 

“You see Rainabow, your breath stinks. That’s why.”

 

Flashback End

 


AUTHOR'S NOTE

 

Hi hi! I'm back with a new chapter! This one was a bit long, sorry. I couldn't really find a plae to break it off. Hopefully you guys weren't too bored reading. More characters will be introduced in the next chapter as it's Jin Ae's first day at school! Whooooo! Anyways, please leave comments guys. It would be really nice. Happy reading!