Chapter Five

얼음꽃 (Frost Flower)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

| Chapter Five |

Pulling into her usual parking space that morning, Jessica noticed an unfamiliar red Lexus in one of the spots. She immediately checked her watch, realizing that it was only half past seven. Either Im Yoona was early, or somebody in the office just got a new car. The second theory seemed highly improbable, however.

 

She grabbed her bag and got out of the white BMW, locking it before heading towards the lift lobby. Whipping out her iPad on the way, she opened up various news applications and studied the headlines, getting her daily dose of updates. As she was immersing herself in a particularly interesting article revolving around an unsettled murder case, a voice broke the air of silence, “Lovely dress.”

 

It was obvious who it was. Looking up from the device, she was hardly surprised when she saw Yoona grinning at her. The girl was dressed way more appropriately this time and actually looked pretty good. Grey was obviously her color. She also seemed to be in a more serious state of mind.

 

“Lunchtime must mean a lot to you.” Reaching for the ‘up’ button, Jessica hit it a few times more in the hopes that the elevator would arrive faster. It just felt awkward and uncomfortable being in the same vicinity as the girl.

 

“I came early for you. Impressed?” Okay, forget the part about her being in a serious state of mind.

 

“Barely,” Jessica turned away instantly. It was so easy for this girl to irritate her for some reason. Jessica was convinced that nothing proper was ever going to come out of that mouth of hers.​

 

With a light laugh, the girl replied, “Thought so. What about my outfit, though? I couldn’t help but notice your eyes checking me out.”

 

“I actually look at people when I talk to them because it’s only polite. Can’t be helped if you choose to see it your way.” Thank goodness the lift showed up with a ding, and Yoona allowed the woman to enter before she did.

 

One… two… three… Jessica tapped her foot impatiently, silently cursing the office for being on the twelfth floor.

 

“So, boss…”

 

“Don’t call me that.”

 

“Okay… no Jessica, no boss. Duly noted. What about gorgeous? I’m sure you’d like that.”

 

“You’re really asking to be ignored.”

 

“Fine, Miss Jung. Jeez, I feel like a student all over again.”

 

Silence.

 

“Do you really have to be colder than the weather outside, Miss Jung? Because I’m getting the chills despite having such a thick jacket on.”

 

“Only towards specific people.”

 

“Okay, this is the second time you’re making me go ‘ouch’. I think my poor heart’s gonna be all tattered and torn by the time we’re through.”

 

They eventually reached their level and Jessica almost sprinted out. She certainly did not want to be stuck in an elevator with her again. She would climb all twelve flights of stairs in six-inch stilettos if she needed to.

 

“Wait up, not so fast!” Yoona called from behind.

 

“Keep it down. What is it now?” She swerved around, annoyance written all over her face.

 

“Well, it’s my first day at work and since I’m supposed to report to you, don’t you think you should show me the ropes or at least take me through some basic stuff?”

 

For once she actually made some sense. Exhaling softly, Jessica nodded, “Fine. You’ll meet the team that’s under you. Follow me.” And she sped off once more. She walked pretty quickly for somebody her height.

 

A series of ‘Good morning, Miss Jung’s rang out as they moved through the office and it only amazed Yoona further at this woman’s authority. She wished people were half that respectful of her. She somewhat understood at that point what her father meant when he said people her age were accomplishing great things.

 

There was a whole lot of noise coming from the pantry but it all died down when Jessica entered with Yoona.

 

“You, you, you, you, and you. Party’s over. Let’s go.” Singling out five faces foreign to Yoona, she gestured for them to follow her before moving off again.​

 

“Dammit, are we in trouble?” Yoona could hear one of them whispering.

 

“How would I know? It’s all your fault! Did you really have to laugh that loudly?” Another replied in an agitated tone.

 

---

 

“We’re sorry, Miss Jung. We didn’t mean to make so much noise,” one of the girls spoke up the moment they entered an empty seminar room. Yoona inwardly snickered at how frightened they all looked. It was like watching a scene of some Principal’s office back in school.​

 

“Please grab a seat each,” Jessica announced and they all did so quietly, still looking fretful.

 

“This is Miss Im,” she continued, motioning towards the girl beside her. “You will be reporting to her from today onwards. She’s the new head of your department. I expect nothing but full cooperation from each and every one of you. Understood?”​

 

“Yes, Miss Jung.” It was not as if any other answer was acceptable.

 

Turning to Yoona, she added, “They’re all yours. Get acquainted. I’ll be in my office if you have any problems.”

 

As soon as she was out of the room, one of the guys said, “You were checking her out, weren’t ya?” He had a playful smirk on his face as he spoke. Upon noticing the girl’s expression turning grave, he zipped up and looked away.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter