CH27

The Best Friend Zone 2

(Chen)

 

I was frozen. I didn’t know what to do after hearing that. I just watched Hani walked away while my hands were holding on to her gift, my hands were trembling.

 

I was too late.

 

Why is life like this? The moment you want to tell someone you feel you find out that they’re already taken. It hurts. Why is life like this?

 

BZZT!! BZZT!! BZZT!!

 

1 New Message

 

From: Yura

Baby where are you? Lunch is almost over.

 

I read the message and I didn’t know why but I wanted to cry out. How am I gonna get through this!? I wish I didn’t fall in love with my best friend. how am I gonna tell Yura about this??

 

We were together for one year and it’s just gonna break apart all because of me…

 

I wish I made decisions faster…

 

--

 

“yo man what took you so long?” Chanyeol greeted as I walked into the cafeteria to their table. Kyungsoo, Kai and Hani weren’t around.

 

“something happened.” Sehun said and I was frozen. This guy, he always talks during times like these.

 

“what happened?” Baekhyun asked

 

“nothing. forget it.” I mumbled and sat down.

 

“you’re not gonna eat?” Yura asked me worriedly

 

“I’m too tired to eat.” I replied with a dull tone. I could pull off a Sehun.

 

“how can you be tired of eating?” Luhan asked but I just slumped on the desk and played with the gift in my hands. Come to think of it.. what is this?

 

“isn’t that Hani’s gift? She’s been showing to us since this morning and she looked really excited to give it to you.” Baekhyun said and I sat up. What was in this box?

 

I ripped open the wrapper on it and quickly opened it.

 

“what is it?” Chanyeol asked as he looked over. It was….

 

“a guitar pick made into a necklace.” Luhan said as I took out the gift.

 

There’s a story behind this guitar pick…

 

*flashback*

 

“come on!! teach me how to play guitar!!” Hani said. She was 13 and I was 14. I wasn’t really that good in playing guitar but I played anyway.

 

“alright alright. Geez. Come on.” I smiled and she cheered like the kid she was before sitting next to me and holding the guitar.

 

After a few hours of lessons she whined…

 

“my hands hurt… Jongdae…” she pouted and I laughed before pinching her cheeks. She looks so cute!!

 

“aigoo, uhm… wait here…” I said and went in the house to find my lucky guitar pick. It had a galaxy design that’s why I liked it so much.

 

“here.” I said and walked over to her to place it in her hand.

 

“whenever you’re hurt when trying. Always use this. Imagine that it’s me… protecting you from harm.” I smiled and she looked down at it.

 

“wow!! It’s cute!! Thanks!” she smiled at that and gave me a hug.

 

*end of flashback*

 

“baby? Are you okay?” Yura asked as soon as I finished remembering the incident.

 

“y-yeah… I just remembered something.” I said with a soft smile.

 

That’s right. I promised Hani that she can look to me whenever she is hurt… but why am I the one hurting her?

 

--

 

It’s been a week… Hani and I aren’t talking to each other. I would glance at her but she would never look at me. I can’t do this. I cannot not be with my best friend.

 

“yo man.” Kai greeted me with a cheeky grin

 

“hey.” I said softly

 

“what’s got your hair in a knot?” he asked and I sighed before looking over at Hani who was talking with Sehun and Luhan.

 

“oh. Well, I guess you know huh?” Kai said and I glanced at him before nodding.

 

“I was too late. Guess I deserved it… it took me long enough to realize my feelings.” I said

 

“I’m sorry man. But like I said, I’m not really on your side or Kyungsoo’s. Hani is happy where she is right now so… as her knight I’m not really gonna do anything to hinder that.” Kai said

 

“I understand. But thanks anyway, for the warnings.” I said and he nodded with a smile. Just then…

 

“knock knock.” Baekhyun walked in with a smile that looked like he was about to burst into flames if he didn’t say what he was about to say.

 

“what’s up Baek?” Kai made a lame “what’s up doc?” pun and I saw Hani roll her eyes. Cute.

 

“have you heard? There’s a talent show this year!” Baekhyun said and waved the waver in front of Hani’s face.

 

“really? I didn’t know this school had those kinds of stuff.” Hani admitted and looked at the waver. A talent show?

 

“so I was thinking… let’s join!!” Baekhyun cheered and Hani’s eyes went wide.

 

“what? Baek are you nuts?!” Hani asked

 

“nope. And not you, I was referring to Luhan, Sehun, Kai, Chen, Kyungsoo  and Chanyeol over here.” Baekhyun said and Hani looked at me. for the first time in a week she looked at me and I felt like smiling, my heart fluttered like some gay butterfly but then she looked away.

 

“no thanks.” Kai and Sehun said in unison

 

“whaaaaaat?? But it’ll be fun!!” Baekhyun pouted

 

“no thanks.” Sehun said again and Baekhyun knows he’s not gonna win this round.

 

“fine. Luhan can sing with me! and maybe ChenChen?” Baekhyun looked from Luhan to me and I froze. I don’t really sing… well I do sing and my parents say I have a nice voice but… I don’t want to sing. What was I supposed to sing?

 

“sorry Baek. I’ll pass.” I said shyly to Baekhyun who frowned

 

“awwww. Whyyyyy??” he whined and Luhan laughed

 

“I’ll sing with you!” Luhan smiled and finally, Baekhyun cheered.

 

“wait a minute… Chanyeol sings?? Isn’t your voice deep like a manhole?” Kai asked Chanyeol, thus making the giant hit him.

 

“what about Kyungsoo? Did you ask him already? I think he’ll say no.” Hani said and I froze there.

 

“I haven’t asked him yet. But we have a card that’ll make him say yes.” Baekhyun grinned

 

“what? What card?” Hani asked. The breakfast duo looked at each other with a grin.

 

“THE HANI CARD!!!” they cheered and I sank. I knew it.

 

“what? What Hani card???” Hani looked shocked but she was blushing.

 

“the if you don’t sing then Hani will be sad so you have to sing for her card.” Baekhyun grinned and then an idea popped in my mind…

 

Sing for her huh?

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so... how's your New Year? ^_^