Fate Ends, Fate Starts

Red Strings

"Kyungsoo?"
"Hmm?"

Luna wrapped her arms around my waist and leaned her cheek on my chest,

"What's your greatest fear?"

I returned the embrace and kissed the top of Luna's head, thinking hard of the right answer.

"I'm afraid to be alone." I finally answered. "But now that you're here with me, I am not scared anymore."
"You forgot something though. We're mere imaginations of our own creative minds." Luna pointed out.
"Not anymore." I shook my head. "And never will Luna."

 

I was running late for my last day of practicum. Nurses and doctors shook their heads disapprovingly at me as I hurried down the corridor.

"Excuse me! Oops - sorry!" I would occasionally say.

When I reached Luna's ward, I tried to flatten my hair first and breathe calmly. I knocked a few times and readied my clipboard just in time Dr. Kang, Luna's personal doctor, started his daily checkups.

"Overslept again Mr. Do?" Dr. Kang grunted without looking at me.
"I'm sorry doctor." I said.
"You know what to do." he replied and I started checking her stats. 

After the daily checkup was done, Dr. Kang ordered me to stay with the patient which I openly welcomed. I sat eagerly on the plastic chair and caressed Luna's cheeks. Even when she was sleeping for seven months now, the faint glow of her cheeks never left her beauty. This was the only thing that never left my impression between the dream-version of Luna and the real-life one.

My eyes landed on Luna's usual chapped lips. I quickly applied a small amount of chapstick on it which I started carrying since I noticed how dry her lips became before. 

To be honest, there was a part of me wishing that I'd feel those same, soft lips I kissed on my dreams once she wakes up. Fiery hope that Luna will wake up soon was burning ablaze within me. I needed to believe it if I want it to happen.

I studied the room cautiously to make sure that no one is watching. Then very slowly, I leaned my head and closed my eyes, inching to feel those lips in real life. My heart was beating like crazy I was sure it can jump straight to my Adam's apple. Our nose had touched... just a few more inches Kyungsoo. Just a few more....

"What do you think you're doing?!" someone from behind demanded.

I shot out from my chair and stared wildly at the woman in front of me, her hands on her hips.

"Well? Are you only going to stare at me like a ?"
"I- uhhh..."

The woman with hazelnut eyes and brunette hair strode towards me. She looked at my I.D and smiled.

"Do interns usually take advantage to comatosed patients like you?"
"You've got it wrong! No. I was just, uhh, checking her, uhh..."
"You know, you can't be a good liar with that kind of attitude. " the woman tsked. "So who are you really Mr. Do Kyungsoo?"
"I'm Luna's friend." I answered honestly. Well, technically.
"Her name is Sunyoung. Anyways, I don't know she has friends." she said. "I'm Victoria by the way, Sunyoung's step sister."
"Nice meeting you." I shook hands with her awkwardly. Apparently, she felt that too.
"There's no need to get giddy. I don't bite." she laughed. "Just don't let me catch you sneaking on her lips again or I swear."

I scratched my head and excused myself. Luna's step sister was weird, really.

 

"Can you promise me one thing Luna?"
"What is it?" she welcomed.
"Whatever happens, stay with me."

Luna snuggled closer to me and chuckled.

"I already did idiot."

 

I had my bags packed on our shuttle bus. I wanted to say my final good bye to Luna before I leave. I don't want to leave her at all, but it'll just be for a few months. 

"I promise I'll visit her more often after our finals." I told Victoria.
"I'm holding on that promise." she chortled. "Honestly, I was happy that you're here Kyungsoo. It's just that Sunyoung rarely has visitors because everyone in our family were just so busy. It was only these days I was able to visit her myself."
"I understand." I grinned. "I know you'd take care of her while I'm gone."
"Sometimes, the way you talked about Sunyoung makes me feel that you're his boyfriend or something. But that would be really creepy I guess."
"You talked a lot Victoria." I complained.
"Everyone says that." she smirked.

Silence followed after that. Victoria stood up and went straight towards the door.

"I'll leave you some time with her. Remember, no sneaky kisses!"
"Just go." I scowled.

When I was sure that Victoria really left us, I smiled down at Luna.

"I'll be back. I just need a month of continuous studying so I can get high marks for my finals exam. Once I got the top mark, I can finally have the opportunity to work full time here. With you."

I arranged Luna's blankets and something fell on the carpet with a thud. Picking it up, I realized that it was Luna's diary. I bit my lip as temptation of curiosity seeped in me. Should I open this or not? Should I, or should not?

After a minute of internal battle, I flipped its first pages.


Dear future:

I was feeling really down lately. Father said I need to quit studying so I can pursue our business. Really? What's the point in that? I hate numbers. I love music. Can't he understand that? I'm really grateful for Jongdae though. He appreciates my dream and -

I stopped reading, my heart thumping fast. Who's Jongdae? Is he her boyfriend? How dumb I was to not realize that? Of course, I only know Luna through my dreams. But I know little about her social life. Now this .

She promised me she'll stay with me though. Didn't she?

I was afraid to be alone. She knows that too, right?

Now what am I going to do if Luna also slips away from me?

And out of desperation, I leaned down and kissed Luna's lips. Warmth filled my insides as my own lips met hers. I want this feeling to never end, to never stop. I don't want to let her go. I don't care who the heck that Jongdae is. Luna is my moonlight, she alone is my source of light.

It only takes two blinks before I stopped kissing her. Two, slow blinks from the woman I love.

"L-luna." I faintly gasped, holding at the counter for support. She blinked blankly at me, opening . I waited with bated breath for her first words. Please Luna. Please say that you -

"Who are you?"

-remember me. She doesn't. I stared at her honest and curious eyes.  So is this the end of our seemingly fantasy love story? Does our fate halts itself here, where I was burdened with all the memories while she was fresh from the start? I gripped her diary tighter and answered my own doubts.

No. If I need  to court Luna everyday and every night just to get her remember her dreams... if I need to do extra work to find out the solution for forgetfulness... then I will do everything in my power. I, Do Kyungsoo, will never be alone again. Not when Luna's here. With me.
 

Besides, our story is just starting after all.

 

 

>The End<

 


Merry Christmas subbies! :) Yes, I ended my story here because it was just a one shot fic. I don't know if I'll do a sequel, I don't have concrete plot at the moment. Kkk~ thank you for those who continued their subscriptions despite of my slow updates! And the votes too! I love you all! Let's see each other in my other fics!