Moonlight's Beauty

Red Strings

November 17, 2013.
08:12:00 p.m.

I sat alone on our usual waiting bench. My class ended at 07:00 p.m. and if Sulli went on a date with her boyfriend Kai, we meet up in this place and go home together. But before going home, we always pay a visit on a dukkbokki stand nearby.

My sister was unusually late tonight. I made it crystal clear to both her and Kai that I want them here on or before 08:00 p.m. Neither of them were answering their phones though, and it frustrated me a lot. Sulli meant the world to me. Maybe it was because she was the only family I've got that I became so strict to her. I knew that she understood my reason but apparently, Kai doesn't.

I called her again. After seven rings, Sulli finally picked up.

"Oppa." her sweet voice greeted my ear.
"Where are you?" I asked.
"I'm in the car right now, Kai is driving but..." Sulli faltered. I can imagine her looking uncertainly to Kai.
"Is there something wrong?"

Hesitation oozed from Sulli's silence. I opened my mouth to ask something again but what comes next made my heart dropped.

A loud honk, an eerie screech of the tires, Sulli and Kai's scream, and everything went black.

 

09:23:02 p.m.

It was surprising how my knees managed to support myself all the way towards the hospital. Sulli and Kai were inside the ICU for almost an hour now. I've been praying hard for almost an hour as well.

Suho, my best pal, handed me a small cup of coffee. My hands were badly shaking as I received it, its brown contents spilling from its rim.

"Here, let me help you." Suho offered. He took the cup from my hands and ushered it carefully into my mouth. I drank the coffee while Suho held it for me. I emptied it as long as possible so if the doctor came out of the emergency room, my stomach still had its warmth within me. I knew I badly need heat... because I was feeling cold - outside and mostly inside.

But I had drained the coffee until its last drop with still no doctor coming out. 

"I think you need to rest Kyungsoo." Suho suggested. He supported my arms and walked me towards a plastic seat. I just let my feet follow Suho's lead, not really caring what am I doing at this moment. I sat down, leaned my head on the wall, closed my eyes, and waited.

10:57:45 p.m.

Kai's parents had arrived. They ranted questions at me but nothing they asked registered on my mind. I was feeling really tired. I did not cry, but I was still tired. My heart - which was too used to these kinds of situations - was weary.

11:12:00 p.m.

After Suho answered all of Mr. and Mrs. Kim's questions, he excused himself and said that he'll get everyone another tray of coffee. I nodded absentmindedly and let my eyes drop. If only I can forget this numbness I'm feeling...

11:13:07 p.m.

I officially drifted into sleep.

When I opened my eyes, everything around me was red. Red roses, red leaves, red butterflies, and strings. Yes, there were lots of red strings around me. Some of them glistened under my feet while some floated above my head. There was not a single object in this unknown place I'm in that was not in color red. At some point, I want to run away and never look back. Somehow, this color reminded me of blood.

I walked straight ahead and stopped at one particular red string that caught my eyes. It was just as ordinary as every strings around me but it's slightly curved shaped interested me. It was a loop that resembled a pigtail, and it was strikingly attractive in my opinion. Without hesitation, I pulled it out.

Now I was standing in a meadow surrounded by grasses taller than me. I weaved it out of my way as I walked forward, never really knowing where I was going. Or maybe I do, because I was unintentionally following the trail of red string which I was certain as the same one I pulled out earlier.

As I walked on, the grass grew thinner and smaller. I can distinctively hear the hums of nightingales along with a soft voice that complemented the birds' melody. I scrambled to get out of the last remains of the grass and found myself staring in front of the shining, yellowish moon.

Under this heavenly body was a river calmly flowing through its quiet currents. The river's clear water reflected the moon's beam while the moon itself gave spotlight to a woman with her back facing me. Her porcelain skin glowed enticingly through the moonlight's gleam; the woman lowered her hands and scoop water from the river, splashing herself after doing so.

Butterflies in my stomach fluttered instantly - like I was a human balloon floating freely in midair. The woman's actions were played like in a slow motion to me, wherein I paid attention even with the simplest swish of her hair from the wind.

The woman turned around and I instantly turned my back from her. I can feel my cheeks burning from embarrassment. I never meant to be a ert. I did not intentionally watched her on purpose. Really.

"Who are you?" she asked.

I don't know why I smiled. Maybe it was because I welcomed this new situation on me, or just that I was captivated by her melodic voice.

"I'm sorry. I don't mean to interrupt your bath. I was -"
"Who are you?" she repeated. She didn't sound angry to me. In fact, her tone was calm -an unusual reaction for a girl who just caught a man watching her bath.
"My name is Do Kyungsoo." I answered, my back still facing her.
"Turn around Kyungsoo. I already wore clothes." she said.

Reluctantly, I obliged. My round eyes met her almond-shaped ones. We stared each other for a fraction of a second before the woman in front of me smiled.

"Nice meeting you Kyungsoo." she said.
"Me too." I waited for her to say her name but she continued on smiling at me. So I took the initiative and asked her myself. "How about you? What's your name?"
"I don't know." she laughed. "I have no name."

I frowned at her.

"We all have names." I argued.
"Not everyone." she reasoned out. 

I think our conversation will lead us to nowhere. I sighed, and looked upwards. The yellowish moon shone directly above me. As I stared into its cracked surfaces, an idea popped in my head.

"I know! Then I should give you a name."

The woman beamed at me. 

"Really?" she asked eagerly.
"Mm-hm. I'll call you Luna. Because we met under the moon."
"I like Luna."
"I like that name too." I agreed.

Then the earth shook. Luna lost her balance and I caught her just in time before she fall. 

"What the -"
"Kyungsoo!"

An uknown man suddenly appeared in front of us. He was breathing heavily, his brows drenched with cold sweat. Who the heck is this guy?

"Who are you?" I asked him blankly.
"Let's go!" he said, tugging my arms.
"But -"
"We don't have time!"
"Luna!"

I turned around but Luna was nowhere else to be found.The earth was shaking too badly; the calm river currents earlier turned to a savage surge; the moonlight disappeared and cracks slowly rose because of the overlapping faults. The stranger and I ran while the earth chased us. We were practically running for our lives! I slowed down and tried to catch my breath - then I fell at the endless and darkest pit.

"Help!!!" I screamed. My chest tightened from the thought of dying on the coldest part of the Earth. I don't want to die alone. Unwanted. Forgotten. Unloved. This was never a part of my plans. 

I woke up with my heart beating nervously, like I was really running in real life. The hospital's corridor was empty except for me. I wiped the sweat on my forehead and pondered over my last night's dream. It felt so real. Even the butterflies in my stomach seemed true.

It took me a while before I remembered where I was and why am I here. I looked to my right where the double doors of ICU were and hopefully waited for a good news. I can hear slow footsteps behind me but I did not turn around. I still waited for the doors to open and the doctor to announce that Sulli was safe.

But I can't help but notice that the ICU's nameplate was not glowing in alarming red anymore. I can't hear any commotion inside the room as well, and it was already five hours since the incident happened.

Suho sat next to me but he did not say a word. We both know that at times like this, silence was the best form of condolence.