My heartbeat is improvised

Gold digging Heart breaking Money making
‘Let’s go over these once again’ Junjin said having spread all materials on the bedroom floor, the mattress pushed against the wall to free more space for his files. There sprawled out on the floor right in front of them lay a news agency in its own -  hand written notes, maps with addresses, pictures, cut-out newspaper and magazine articles- the room had been turned into a paperlandfill in a matter of minutes. An onlooker would find only chaos here but for Junjin there to was an order, a system. Hyesung had found a safe place on the bed while Dongwan sat close to the wardrobe, both reluctant to move in fear of messing something up.
 
‘Let’s start with Eric Mun’ Junjin found a folder hidden underneath a pile of papers and opened it. He seemed to find delight in having arranged and rearranged and labeled all his papers, rarely having the chance to show them off.
 
'Real name: Mun Jung-Hyuk. Studied abroad, adopted the name Eric there
Age: 25, born February 16
Blood type: B
Family: Both parents dead. Mother Miyoung Lim, a popular actress in her younger days, died when Mun was only ten years old. Father Junghoo Mun passed away four years ago in a car accident leaving his son as the sole heir of the family fortune
Occupation: President of the Mun company Shinhwa. Under his father’s name the company dealt in finances while his son's interest lies in the entertainment business. He's opened three clubs catering towards celebrities and is
already hailed by the press as the young prince of the business world
Appearance: Tall, dark and handsome'
 
‘Ey, Junjin,’ Hyesung interrupted, his tone of voice hardly amused ‘tall, dark and handsome is not a real description. Did you really write that down?’ instead of waiting he took the folder out of the younger’s hands, scanning it over.
 
‘I don’t believe this’ he muttered, shaking his head in disapproval. Junjin protested, trying to explain that it was not an official document as he snatched the folder back, cradling it to his chest like a newborn he'd birthed himself.

‘And it’s not like we don’t need all the additional information we can get’ Hyesung let out a snarky remark, turning to Dongwan and awaiting his agreement. The short man only shrugged not particularly keen on taking sides in a lost battle.

'It is a pretty accurate description and-’ he picked up a picture from the floor ‘there’s like a gazillion photos of him anyway. It’s not like he’s a secret spy from a far away land who never appears in public. Look at him. Look!’ he shoved the photo in Hyesung’s face, making smooching noises. He didn't have anything against detailed descriptions but Hyesung’s nagging was upsetting Jinny. The other's temper got to him as he jumped up and grabbed Dongwan by collar, his fist raised up in a threath

‘Everybody calm down’ Junjin's voice caught Hyesung's attention as he tugged at his sleeve, just like a child demanding attention from his mother, ‘I’m going to continue now’ Junjin managed before Hyesung had started protesting.
 
'Relationships: Rarely seen going out yet famous for his affairs with younger female actresses and idols. None of his relationships last longer than a few months. Unconfirmed rumors say he’s been seen spending time with young male idols either’
 
‘Yeah, unconfirmed’ Hyesung stressed the word, sitting back down after he’d gathered some photos from the floor ‘and thanks to that Andy guy there’s no way we can confirm it now. I don’t get why the guy doesn’t go clubbing. It's practically his job’ he looked through the photos one by one, throwing them back on the floor, ‘fine, he does. sometimes. But only on official events. Or goes somewhere no one in seven hells knows’. He held up a picture of Eric together with his shorter friend. ‘And are we really sure this Minwoo guy is not his lover?’
 
‘Absolutely. It's out of question’ Dongwan reached over to take the picture away from Hyesung, pointing at it in an attempt to stress his point, ‘Minwoo is like this super family childhood friend and his business partner but they’re nothing more than that'

Hyesung scowled in return and retrieved the photo after a brief moment of silence.

‘Look who’s talking’ he threw Dongwan a nasty glance ‘who died and made you the resident expert on Mun's private life? One night of drinking together? Tell, tell what did you two talk about?’ he started looking for other pictures of the two men together, picking them off the floor with great care. Junjin observed the scene unraveling with unrest before he took another folder and silently opened it.

‘But we do know that Minwoo is a childhood friend, hyung’ he looked at page one ‘It’s all over the media'

Real name: Lee Min-Woo. Likes to call himself M for undisclosed reasons
Age: 25, born July 28
Family: Related to Eric Mun as his 2nd cousin
Occupation: Works at the Shinhwa company as co-CEO
Hobbies: Clubbing, dancing, spending time exclusively in male company
Appearance: Short, cute and stylish.
 

‘Junjin-ah!’ Hyesung snatched the file looking it over. The next words he spoke were said slowly, resulting from the disbelief in finding the exactly same words Junjin had said written on paper ‘it really says short, cute and stylish…’ he drew it out waiting for an explanation.

‘It’s accurate' Dongwan added in a sad attempt to save the other from answering 'you could also say that he’s sweet, good-looking, has an amazing sense of style and a perfect smile’

Both Junjin and Hyesung gave him the look, taking some time to process the newly provided information before responding appropriately. Junjin was the first to go, carefully testing the depth of the waters. ‘So- something did happen while drinking together?’
 
There were times when Dongwan knew he should keep him mouth shut. Like when he had called the bullies out all those years back or like when he had told his co-workers off for drinking at work and got them fired or like now when he was digging himself a deeper grave than there was a need for. His cheeks were turning crimson while he prepared himself for the challenge of defending his honor. He considered covering his face with his palms and sobbing shamelessly yet deemed that option somewhat too ridiculous. Instead he coughed, uncomfortable with the sudden attention.
 
‘You slept with him or something?’ Hyesung deadpanned, making Dongwan color the shade of a tomato.
 
'What are you thinking' he shook his head in disbelief, ‘we talked! Just talked. He said I’m good looking, asked if I want to go drinking again and we sang some songs and he complimented my voice. I complimented him... that’s it’. He could feel the burn despite having done nothing to be ashamed of. At least in theory. He had enjoyed himself yesterday, let go and that was all.
 
‘Sounds like flirting to me’ Hyesung commented, getting up to flex his legs. He started gathering the papers around without saying much all while Dongwan’s heart was beating wildly. Ok, so maybe he had been too excited, had enjoyed himself too much. This was a job, it was dangerous to feel happy or excited. He'd been too caught up.
 
‘But it’s good,’ Hyesung turned to him as he dumped the papers in front of Junjin and went to put the mattress back into its place ‘-that he wants to meet up. Maybe it's our second chance to get to know who this Andy guy is. If he’s that important he's bound to come up at one point. I mean, if Kangta didn’t have any information about him-’
 

‘Then maybe-' Dongwan stood up, his face still oddly discolored but the beating of his heart rhythmical now, ‘Kangta is not as reliable as you think?’ 

Despite knowing that he will anger Hyesung by mentioning Kangta, Dongwan felt the strange need to persist on his rights of hating the guy. He was a friend of Hyesung. And they had met him while at the lowest possible point of their lives which may or may not have added to Dongwan's instant repulsion of the man. He was a valuable information source and they had known him for years yet Dongwan couldn't find one likeable characteristic about him. Kangta seemed like one of those people you just couldn't trust. He never talked about where he got his information from and Hyesung never asked. A feeling that Kangta would have no problem selling them out never left Dongwan. And the way he looked at Hyesung made him want to punch the bastard straight in his face.

‘Kangta’s always been accurate. I barely have any reasons to distrust him’

Also, Hyesung trusted him which left Dongwan at a complete loss. ‘Then why don't you go and ask him about Andy?’ he couldn’t hide the bitterness seeping in his voice.

Hyesung, still in the process of rearranging their room back to normal, had brought their mattress back to its place. He dumped it on the floor unceremoniously and his peeved look told Dongwan that he would have to sleep on the floor tonight. ‘I don’t have the money’ was all Hyesung said before sitting down on the soft surface.

Junjin looked at them from his papers, his eyes begging for both to stop this conversation and all Dongwan could do was to groan to himself, annoyed at their pathetic state. They desperately needed the money but he couldn’t afford to physically take upon another job. He was struggling to meet ends so they could not back out of this scheme. They needed the money or they would be sleeping on the street by next month.
 
‘Let’s just improvise’ Junjin spoke up, putting his folders away ‘you call Minwoo and ask him if he has time, then ask him if your friend can join too. Suggest going drinking and ask if Eric doesn’t want to come along’

Dongwan’s face grew longer, him not liking he idea of having to drag Minwoo into this. Minwoo was just a friend of Eric's and not their target at all. And he- he was just the chauffeur who was gathering information and shouldn’t care. After all, Hyesung had deemed him too sensitive for other jobs, telling him to back off when he had offered to do them. Why was he completely ok with it now? What did he miss? What had changed?

‘We could try that’ Hyesung agreed, turning to look at his friend standing there at complete loss. Dongwan circled his neck a few times, hearing it crack on every second round, wondering why had he ever agreed on them taking on something so big.

But, oh right, the money. They needed it. Just- needed.

He knew he was stalling but he wasn't sure what for. Junjin was absolutely right. He should call and ask the guy out. He barely knew him, and there was only so much time he could buy. Minwoo was sweet but not all that different, - except that he was young and y, and had a clear, thrilling laugh, and a killer smile-

Dongwan dug into his back pocket, taking out his old mobile and looking at the number saved there. It read M. Just M without anything added to it. Won't I seem desperate if I call now he wondered as his thumb ghosted over the green button.

Hyesung pursued his lips, yawning in an exaggerated manner, feigning his ignorance. He hadn't said much but when he did it was a command.

‘Just call him’

The phone lay in Dongwan's hand like an old acquaintance. There in his palm it felt comfortable, familiar, yet the feeling was like that of a loaded gun. It was time to jump the bullet. If he called, there would be no turning back. If Minwoo answered and agreed -there would still be no way back. If he refused to call - no way he could afford that.

‘Don’t tell me you’re having second-thoughts now’ Hyesung raised an eyebrow, looking at him in half-surprise, half-confusion. Dongwan could tell from his tone that he was angry but his eyes were clear, devoid of any compassion. This wasn’t his usual anger when he yelled or hit him. No, this was silent, seething anger that destroyed one from inside. Hyesung hated when things didn’t go his way and right now they were left with only a skeleton of the plan they had at the start.

What the hell, it's just one guy, Dongwan thought as he pressed the call button, leveling the device to his ear. This was just one call and Minwoo was just a regular guy. Hardly anything to be worried about.

Don’t answer, don’t answer, he silently prayed while waiting, anticipating the answer as much as he feared it. 

'Hey’ the same cheerful voice from yesterday picked up and greeted him after the sixth ring.

‘Hey’ Dongwan smiled, his heart rate picking up again ‘I was wondering about what you said yesterday-’


 

tbc

 
  

A/N: Woodong makes their appearance first! *brings out party hats* Ah, but they are probably going to end up hating each other so there’s no need to celebrate *throws the hats away*

Also, I was away for so long. It's just... I have so little time... And I had to start watching Supernatural... because- reasons?

Thank you everyone who's sticking around and reading. I have found out that reading does make you a better writer... contrarily to my own stubborn opinion... So I am actually trying to improve here. It just takes loads of time. But hey, THANK YOU.