This Love: Red Light

Gold digging Heart breaking Money making

*a week ago*

 

Eric was sitting in his office, a neat pile of papers Minwoo had left there still untouched. In his hand he was twirling the old mobile phone, the color of which was hard to identify, the screen scratched and broken. He hadn’t figured out yet what to do with it. Hyesung had no idea it was still in his possession, making him guilty about having hidden it for so long. He had given Hyesung a new phone some time ago but what if this one had a special meaning in his heart? He had seemed very distraught when he had ‘lost’ it, having been quiet all the way back home from their fishing trip. Eric didn’t like to remember the trip, it barely held any fond memories for him.

But Hyesung had changed, becoming softer towards him afterwards, quickly earning a place in his heart Eric didn’t know existed there for him. Minwoo had been right after all when he had told him that gender didn’t really matter. If his heart decided to like a man he was content with liking a man.

He should just tell Hyesung about the phone now that their relationship was going well. What wrong could it do? Not like Hyesung would hate him afterwards, right? That would be silly.

‘I need help’ the CEO leaned on the table, his work forgotten and his head full with worry. He wanted Hyesung to like him. He felt content just watching him play video games at his place, or reading a book. He looked so peaceful, like a kitten having drunk its mother’s milk and having fallen asleep after playing with its favorite toys.

‘Not that image’ he grumbled, his cheek connecting with the wooden surface. The last thing he needed was to imagine Hyesung as a cute kitten.

The phone came to life, causing Eric to jump in shock. He watched in defeat as it clattered to the ground once again, another crack appearing in its display, making it look beyond sad.

With a tired sigh he went over to pick it up, looking at the caller id.

‘Kangta’ he read, a pout forming on his face. Who was this Kangta and why didn’t he know about him? Not that he had a monopoly on Hyesung’s private life but a feeling of jealousy still swelled up in his chest. If this was a friend of Hyesung, he felt like he had a right to know.

Minwoo had come earlier and snooped through his papers to find Dongwan’s application with his birth date. He would be throwing him a birthday party yet Eric didn’t even know when Hyesung’s birthday was. If he asked he would get into trouble because Hyesung hated whenever he asked him anything personal. And who was this Kangta anyway? If he was a friend of Hyesung, he would know things about him and Eric wanted to know things about him.

‘Hello’ he pressed the answer button, putting the device to his ear. If he was Hyesung’s friend, he could be Eric’s friend as well.

‘Well’ a sleek voice answered on the other side, instantly making Eric dislike him ‘you don’t sound like Hyesung at all’

‘It’s because I’m not Hyesung. I’m Eric’

There was a moment of silence and then a short chuckle. It was an unpleasant sound, a sound of gloating and cruel happiness.

‘Well well, Eric, I wonder how you got to this phone. Did you catch him?’

Catch? What was the guy talking about? Why would Hyesung be friends with someone so unpleasant? Whatever the reason, he needed to find out now.

‘Ok, I don’t know who you are but I want to know your connection with Hyesung’

Eric had a bad feeling he would regret ever having asked when the other let out a long laugh before he resumed talking.

‘Fine. You can know that but it’s going to cost you’

Cost him? Eric blinked, taken aback by the ridiculous suggestion. Was Hyesung in debt to this guy? Had he loaned him some money? He could take care of that if that was the case.

‘Fine’ he agreed, expecting a laugh or something as unpleasant as that. Instead, the guy sounded serious.

‘It’s not going to be cheap’

‘I can pay’

‘Now I know you can’

Eric swallowed, suddenly feeling nervous. This was getting more serious and he was not even sure what he was getting himself into. His legs had become weak, a troubled feeling taking over his body so he walked back to his desk, sitting down in his chair and waiting for the other to continue.

It was not long before the voice informed him that they needed to meet.

‘Where?’ Eric took a pen, tapping it against the table, waiting for an address to be named.

‘I’ll come to your office instead’ the guy replied, letting out a giggle this time. Eric could feel the rage in him rising, realizing that the guy found this nothing more than a game. If he thought he was just a little helpless mouse lost in a maze he was dead wrong. He was Eric Mun and he had dealt with worse types than this one.

‘Fine, I’ll be waiting’ he said, cutting the conversation short and glaring at the phone. He should have drowned it in the lake when he had the chance, it seemed like a troublesome device. Probably he would contact a demon if he tried calling one of the numbers saved on it. Made him wonder what exactly did Hyesung do in his free time.

But now he had to wait for this guy without knowing how he looked or when he would come. He should have asked him more questions but now his pride was too hurt to call again. He would not give into this games of his.

‘Please inform the security that they should let in a man by the name of Kangta. Bring him to me as soon as he arrives’ he informed his secretary, leaning back in the chair and looking at the clock. He didn’t have to go out tonight. Hyesung had told him to give him a rest and Minwoo had told him to work. He took a look at the pile of papers, deciding it would be a good way of passing time.

Immersed in his work, he stopped only when his secretary called, informing him that Kangta had arrived. Eric took a look at the clock, an hour and twenty minutes had passed since he had talked to him.

‘Let him in’ he said, putting the papers away, his cold business-like expression appearing on his face instead.

The guy entering his cabinet was not what he had expected. Instead of a tough loan shark, a good looking young man came inside, reminding him of some of the idols Minwoo used to bring home before he’d fallen for Dongwan and entered forced celibacy.

‘Ok, I admit, not what I expected’ he said, motioning for the other to take a seat, leaning back in his chair and observing him carefully. He had nice features and a sharp, observant look, his clothes not something one would casually wear on the street. He looked like he’d just come out of a club which maybe was exactly the case.

‘Also, I have a feeling you know what I want to know better than I do myself so cut the crap and get to the business. I will pay what you ask and you tell me what I want to hear’

Eric was sure the other could not tell his nervousness from just looking at him but he had inkling he could feel it. Even so, he just nodded, leaning back in his chair as well, emitting an aura that screamed confidence and -appeal. If they had been in a club, a guy like him would have caught Eric’s attention; but their meeting was not in a pleasant place like that, the atmosphere turning dreary.   

‘Sure. Listen. I’ll give you a freebee. Then, you decide how much the rest of it is worth’

Involuntary, Eric felt goosebumps form on his skin yet the expression on his face didn’t change, staying as cold and devoid of emotions as it had been when the other had entered.

Without giving Eric more time to mentally prepare himself for what was to come, Kangta started talking.

‘The man that you know is not Hyesung by his real name. His real name is Jung Pilkyo and he is a petty little trash who scams erted men out of their money by sleeping with them. There’s nothing honest about him and whatever he’s told you so far has been nothing but an act. He’s a bad actor but he can turn up his charm when needed, act polite and sweet once he sees the benefit of the affair. I know, you see-’ Kangta let out another short laugh, it dripping like poison on Eric’s wounded heart ‘because I was also such a trash just like him. Well, not anymore. I’ve worked up my ranks so I sell information and that’s what I’m doing now so… If you want to hear more’ he got up from his seat, going over to Eric and leaning in ‘it’s going to cost you some pretty penny’

Eric scrunched his face in disgust, leaning away from the other’s touch. What he was saying was hard to believe - he should not be trusting such a shady type like him.

‘Ah’ the other let out a fake sound of surprise as he sat on the table, crossing his legs ‘seem like you don’t believe me. Well, let me convince you then’ he leaned even closer, making Eric retreat even more.

‘He’s after the necklace you keep in the safe at home. He has a buyer for it and it’s a good deal’ Kangta whispered, his eyes drilling through Eric’s, forcing his mind to accept that what he was telling him was no lies.

 

*present*

 

The moment Hyesung dragged Dongwan away from the room, Eric looked at Minwoo who seemed too shocked to protest. He had to tell him what he was planning and he had to be brief and convincing.

‘Minwoo, sit down’ he said, tearing the shorter out of his daze ‘I’m going to tell you things you’re not going to like but you have to promise to listen to me’.

Minwoo was looking at him curiously, his eyes betraying his confusion. He hadn’t seen such a serious expression on Eric’s face since him mother’s death.

‘I have a feeling I’m really not going to like this’ he murmured when he sat down.

‘You’re really not going to like it’ Eric nodded.

 

tbc

 

 

a/n: WOOOO!! I actually like this chapter! Also, the comments from new readers and the ones picking it back up are really sweet. And I still get subscribers and upvotes? I really didn't expect any. Thank you!

...

and the next one is where they have oO