'Cause love is shellfish and I'm a fisherman, baby

Gold digging Heart breaking Money making

What day was it? How long had he been asleep?

Junjin opened his eyes blinking the darkness out of them. He listened carefully to see if anyone was around and then he heard them, Hyesung and Dongwan, talking in the kitchen. He remembered now.

Since yesterday Hyesung had been unbearable, finding fault in everything he did and Junjin couldn’t quite decide if he hated the days he spent in the apartment alone or the days he spent with Hyesung in the apartment more.

He loved the older to bits but he had some major shortcomings.

'And what do we do about this Andy?’ Hyesung’s voice rang out loud, freezing Junjin in his spot. The door was left ajar, the yellow glow coming from the kitchen the only source of light in the darkness. Junjin shifted, looking at the phone he’d been holding close to his heart, his mind frantically searching for answers. He could hear Dongwan saying something in return but it wasn't clear. He could make out ‘of course' 'I understand' 'a friend’ 'it's a job' but only because Dongwan's voice changed its pitch at the parts, gaining a comically high tone.

He shifted again, pressing his cheek to the pillow which now felt rough and unpleasant to touch, and stared at the wall.

How many people with the name Andy could there be in Seoul? How many of them had photos of Eric Mun casually posing on the beach? How many of them had a best friend named Minwoo? There had to be at least two of those, right? This had to be a mere coincidence.

Junjin pressed the phone even closer to his chest, not daring to breath when the door opened, the light from the kitchen illuminating him.

‘He’s sleeping’ Hyesung declared as he closed the door, leaving Junjin in complete darkness.

There was silence but not for long and the same voices appeared again, this time closer to the door and talking about him. Junjin's knuckles had started turning white from how tightly he was clutching the phone.

‘He’s been sleeping a lot lately. I honestly don't know what's wrong with him now. Since he skipped the last appointment he’s been acting weird. He's also refusing to make the next one’

‘It’s probably nothing. Just a phase’ Dongwan's voice was calm, confident, and retaining that same optimistic tone that gave people hope and made them like him. It was a real honest voice and Junjin bit his lip. His heart was beating wild because Dongwan was lying. Lying to Hyesung for his sake.

Leave, he thought.

The distinct sound of dishes clattering in the sink indicated that they had finished eating.

Just leave already, Junjin squeezed his eyes shut and prayed. Why didn't they just leave?

'If this doesn’t work can we stop wasting our time and money on this?’ Hyesung’s voice was further away.

They were at the door now. They had to leave but Dongwan wasn't replying. Did he nod? Would they leave now? They had to leave, had to go to work and meetings and live their lives outside these walls. They had to.

Few more agonizing minutes passed before the door clicked and darkness and silence surrounded the apartment.

Finally.

Junjin jumped out of the bed, fully dressed and ready to go. He dialed Andy’s number and it didn’t take long for the other to answer.

'Hey' his voice made Junjin’s heart fluter in excitement. His knees felt weak and the smile didn't want to leave his face.

‘I’ll be down in a minute’ he mumbled pressing the end button immediately. He feared that if he were to talk any longer his heart would burst and his legs turn to jelly. He wasn't afraid, which was weird, just nervous. And there was also something else, something heavy and warm and unbearable.

Junjin quickly put on his shoes, taking a close look at the clock on the wall.

Seven thirty.

Dongwan was meeting up with Minwoo, Hyesung would spend at least two hours trying to be friendly with Eric... he had time until ten. That was not nearly enough but had to suffice. He couldn't risk returning home late again. Dongwan may not have told on him yet but it was risky and he felt bad.

Without hesitating any longer Junjin grabbed his keys and rushed out, stopping dead in his tracks when he saw Dongwan standing there with a look of utter disappointment on his face.

‘Thought as much' he frowned, arms crossed in front, 'now care to explain?’

He was using his most serious voice on Junjin which made his heart sink somewhere to his stomach and his hands uselessly dropped to his sides.

Caught. He was caught.

What to do now?

Andy will be sad and he won't see that smile on his lips and the thought of not seeing him all of sudden seemed more unbearable than any punishment he could think of. He had to at least try.

'If you let me go,' Junjin bit his lip, looking at the floor, 'I promise to tell you everything. Just later’

If Dongwan let him go now he would hold that promise. But if Dongwan told him he hated him and sent him back to his room that would be fine either. Or fair, not fine. He wouldn’t be fine but that’s what he deserved. Dongwan trusted him but all he had ever done in return was bother and worry him. He was a bad human being to begin with, a rotten thing, and now he shamelessly was lying to the only two people who actually cared and protected him. 

Tears stung his eyes but he couldn't cry now. He was not that weak. He wanted to be strong, or stronger. At least for Andy.

'Ok’ Dongwan said and stepped aside, indicating that he was letting Junjin go.

Confused and euphoric from the stress relief Junjin opened his mouth but seeing Dongwan's face he better closed it, dashing past him instead and not daring to look back. He would tell him everything but now he had to meet Andy, even if that meant the last time he would see him.

Junjin rushed down the stairs and stopped at the door out of breath, hesitant, his heart wavering. He hadn't gone outside alone for such a long time. But outside was Andy who was waiting for him in the car and there was safety and warmth and, well, Andy.

And with that Junjin's heart was steady again.

---

Hyesung stood outside the Art House shivering in the cold air. His coat was not suited for this type of weather but it was the best he could do. The days leading to  the winter were getting less rainy, becoming clearer, and the air cooler. The trees had lost all of their green, colors of autumn adorning them instead, giving the city a sentimentally romantic touch.

A strange feeling of deja vu overcame Hyesung as a cold breeze hit his face.

He looked at the watch which indicated ten past eight and knew-

Eric's not going to show up. Bastard.

He had somehow figured out their plans and he was putting an end to this all. They had to stop before it was too late because Eric had been too different, too difficult from the very beginning. Too out there. An uneasy, unfamiliar feeling overcame Hyesung whenever he was around that guy, urging him to pay more attention to his gut feeling. It was almost like fear yet he wasn't afraid of him. It was something else, something more dangerous.

Their plan was meant to fail and he was going to jail.

Hyesung looked at the beautifully lit Opera where a constant stream of people flowed inside and his common sense (which had been on vacation for several days now) finally kicked in.

I didn't tell Eric where exactly to meet up

Now that was stupid.

Angry, Hyesung hit his own forehead in a punishment and turned a full circle. What to do now? Even if Eric came here there was no way he could find him among all these people. He was too ordinary, nothing about him stood out- 

But Eric was tall and impressive and could be spotted easily. Maybe he could find him?

He did another 360° turn but in vain.

Maybe Eric had gone somewhere else?

Hyesung rushed to the other side of the complex, frantically looking around. Wouldn't this place be even less logical? Had he even mentioned the time? All of sudden he couldn't remember.

He grabber to feel inside of his pocket just to remember that his phone was lost. 

.

What bad timing. This was really the worst.

Wherever he looked the place was devoid of tall and handsome guys or any guys at all so that meant that Eric hadn't come. And why should he? 

Tired and cold Hyesung kneeled down, letting out a loud and exhausted sigh.

Why was he feeling so depressed? He had complained to Dongwan so much and for so long and yet- had he actually been looking forward to the meeting? No, that couldn't be. This was just another job and he should give up just about now. This was pathetic, he was pathetic and this was him giving up.

Dongwan would be disappointed and they would have to move but it couldn’t be helped. They would find some place, any place, and return to their old habits. Starting from ruins once again, so to say. A dream of not having to live this life was a nice one but it was just that- a dream. He should have given up the first time he met Eric.

Looking up at the clear beautiful sky Hyesung frowned. In a real drama there would be clouds and rain and maybe a nice thunderstorm but the weatherman had said that evening would be nice and if he had to believe someone he chose to at least believe the weatherman.

Even rain didn't want to take pity on him and drench away his misery.

Go home

Hyesung cradled his head in his hands not wanting to listen to his own voice of reason. Yes, he should go home but he didn't want to. Maybe he could stay here forever but, then again, he did not really want to stay here forever. His head was pounding and he rubbed his temples to relieve some of the pressure. How would he explain this whole mess to Dongwan?

Just, go home, man

Yes. He sluggishly stood up and turned to leave- just to run into the tall man standing behind him. He followed the collision with yelling ‘For 's sake, what are you doing here!’ immediately.

Eric, as calm and collected as he had never been seen before, looked at Hyesung with a mild surprise and mixed in amusement. His super fancy bag and more-than-Hyesungs-life worth wrist watch were screaming money. The dark long coat looked soft to touch and the suit underneath was perfectly tailored to his form. Everything about Eric oozed royalty, indicating a social status Hyesung never even dreamed of achieving.

'If I'm not wrong, Mr. Hyesung’ and Eric tapped his watch with his ring finger, 'this is the place you told me to meet you and I'm almost on time’

Hyesung sneered at how silly Eric sounded saying that. They had a very upright teacher back in the orphanage who used to call him mister all the time. Sometimes he wondered what had happened to the guy as he had been one of the better ones, having the decency to treat him like an equal human beings.

Of course, Eric put the teacher to shame in every category.

‘I was looking for you for more than twenty minutes’ Eric added and all thought of the teacher vanished from Hyesung's mind.

He blinked, confused.

Eric had looked for him? 

Why?

'You seriously came here and looked for me just because I asked?'

Hyesung was at loss. He had just ran around like a chicken with its head chopped off but that was something different. Imagining Eric Mun doing the same was unthinkable. He had all the rights to questioning this behavior. 

'We barely know each other' he added, confused at what point was he trying to make.

 But really.

Eric was not supposed to show up. Eric was supposed to have stopped caring a long time ago because friends could not be made in hours or days, and love was only an illusion, and the only real feelings that urged people on were raw, animalistic desires. Looking at Eric now Hyesung felt like this was the first time he actually saw him. Really saw him instead of frowning, scowling or yelling at him. Eric Mun, despite all that glamor and money added to his name, suddenly seemed nothing more than a really humble human being. A human being who was approachable and childish and maybe also really lonely. 

The taller scratched the back of his head, seemingly confused at life before uttering a simple ‘uh'.

What intelligence. He really was just an overgrown baby.

'Yes, but-’

Hyesung was looking at him expecting something more than yes,but so Eric added a 'aren't we friends?'

They weren't, really, because friendship wasn't built in a day and it took years, sometimes even forever to trust someone. 

'You’re weird’

'You think?'

And with that they fell into an uncomfortable silence. 

For a while Hyesung stared at Eric, trying to figure out what the catch was with this man but he grew tired, deciding that for this one evening he could as well pretend that they were friends and that Eric was from a different planet. He had lost his fighting spirit somewhere so he grabbed Eric's arm and dragged him to the front of the building where he pulled with down on the a nice spot he had found on the stairs.

'Sit'

Eric looked at him in confusion and mouthed a quiet ‘Aren't we going inside?’ but received no answer. He should probably be used to that but Hyesung was sitting beside him calm and with his eyes closed and that was something Eric could not get used to because he had never experienced it before. 

Scolding himself for staring, he looked at the building instead, deciding soon after that it was not that interesting to look at.

Why were they sitting here? Who knew. But he didn't.

He’d worn his best suit, tried to look smart yet casual and hoped for a somewhat decent date- well - a totally friendly date, that is, but Hyesung had proved to be completely unpredictable and Eric was stressed. He needed a cigarette. 

He looked at Hyesung once again but he hadn't moved from his spot so Eric couldn't just start smoking now. The only thin left was to sit there and accept his fait. 

Some leaves from the trees fell to his feet and a light breeze danced in his hair and actually this was kind of nice. A soft noise filled the air and Eric turned to look at Hyesung who seemed content, concentrating on listening to the sound. 

Did he often come here to listen to opera like this? Eric wondered and it was weird but- he couldn't ask Hyesung because even with his eyes closed and nody relaxed he still managed to look like the last person Eric could ever dare to ask anything. 

Left with nothing else to do, Eric gave in and closed his eyes as well.

Slowly, the buzzing of his overworked mind settled down, soon replaced by nothing else but the feeling of here and now and the soft humming in the air.

It was cold but the heat radiating from the body beside him was hot and oddly relaxed.

Eric let his mind wander, it carrying him back to his younger, less complicated self. He saw his mother, alive and well, and his father, happily laughing, and himself, smiling like he didn't have a single worry in the world.

It could have been an hour, it could have been two days but Eric was completely lost in his own world when someone beside him moved and nudged him in his side. He opened his eyes and saw Hyesung leaning above him, looking a bit comically with some shadows playing on his face. The lights shone bright and everything was enchanted, more vivid and surreal and Eric reached for Hyesung in a daze, only realizing what he was doing when the other's strong hand curled around his wrist and hauled him to his feet.

He may not look it but Hyesung surely was strong.

‘It's cold' were the first words Eric heard as the other nonchalantly brushed off his clothes from the dust, 'and the second act is not my favorite anyway’

And with that he walked away, leaving the other dumbfounded.

'Hey! Wait' Eric yelled once he realized that he was not going to stop or explain anything that had just happened. The best Eric could do was to run after him.

'Why do you always make my life so difficult?' he complained and fell in the same rhythm as Hyesung, both men walked unhurriedly down the brightly lit road.


tbc

 

A/N: Here comes the classical two chapters update after months of silence. I see a pattern here.

Also, the second part is stupid. I don't like it. I hated it when I wrote it and I hated it when I rewrote it and I absolutely murdered it when I edited it. It's just so lame. And why does chapter 7 has so many views? I don't get it. It's as crappy as the rest of them. Is it because of woodong? Is it? Should I get a clue? *stamps on party hats* 

Apart from that, once again I am grateful and amazed at those (still) reading and commenting on the story. I love you all.

 

 

 

*es on Jaejoong in the meantime* ooh, baby, why you so pretty, my queen