08 Paradox

Bittersweet Capture

“…Still the same, aren’t they?” Daehyun chuckled as Sehun walked up beside him rubbing his eyes a bit.

“Huh?” Sehun blinked a couple of times, still half-asleep, “Ah, you mean hyung and Miyoung?”

Daehyun rolled his eyes a bit, replying in a teasing but sarcastic tone, “No. I mean you and me. Of course I meant Lu Han and Miyoung!”

Sehun’s lips formed a small frown at Daehyun’s remark. It wasn’t his fault that he had just woken up due to a long night with mild insomnia; he just needed a bit more time to fully wake up from his semi-long sleep.

The two boys glanced at the two standing before them, slowly grinning from ear-to-ear as the Lu Han they knew began to show some form of affection for the girl.

That, in itself, was quite the understatement of the century.

“What is this?” Miyoung frowned, glancing at the thing Lu Han had handed her.

Lu Han coughed a bit, clearing his throat, “…Wear that from now on. If guests come by, then it would embarrass my friends and I if you wore tattered clothing like that.”

Though Miyoung was clearly happy by the small gesture, she decided to hide it. It was their fault that she was stuck in such old clothes after all.

For her to turn annoyed then happy so quickly, she would then feel like she was just like their puppet. As a result, she decided to keep her cool.

It was just like her to do something like that.

“Wait! Missus!” a sudden voice came echoing down the hall, a voice Miyoung recognized to be the butler’s.

Miyoung and Lu Han turned towards the direction of the voice instinctively, only to be faced with the woman who had stopped by a couple of days ago. The smug facial expression that she had on when Lu Han was handing her the check had returned, confidence radiating from her noticeably.

Something devious was shown in her eyes, and it made Miyoung a bit unsure of the situation.

How nice,” were the first two words spoken by her, “Lu Han actually gave you some decent clothes, but don’t you think you look better in those rags? I mean, we both know why you’re really here.”

Genuine confusion ran across Miyoung’s mind as she looked at the woman in front of her, “…What are you talking about?”

But before Miyoung or Lu Han had the chance to say another word, the woman continued without a care in the world, “Lu Han, did you know how rich Miyoung’s family is?”

Though it was the first time Lu Han had heard of such a thing, he still had significant amounts of trust in the girl by his side. After all, Miyoung was the one who allowed his heart to open up, and she was the one that finally knocked some common sense into his mind.

“So what?” he replied, raising an eyebrow.

“…Just kidding,” the lady smirked, “Ah, did she not tell you anything about herself? Her family is covered in debts, you know. That girl, greedier than I, has come in search of marriage into wealth, you, of which, can provide her with.”

“…What are you trying to say?” Lu Han’s expression suddenly turned dead serious.

The woman ran her fingers through her hair, “Isn’t it obvious? She’s using you. She’s deceiving you.”

Time seemed to stop for both Miyoung and Lu Han. Both faced with the severity of reality, emotions ran all over the place. All the trust that Miyoung had spent building up in Lu Han was wiped away without a single drop of sweat.

It was unfair.

It was unfair because every word that the woman had stated was both true and untrue.

To tell Lu Han that it was all a lie would be a lie in itself while to tell Lu Han that it was the truth was a lie in itself as well.

Caught in a paradox, Miyoung felt numb.

“Is this true?” Lu Han asked, afraid to hear the answer that would be spoken from the girl.

After a small pause, Miyoung stated almost inaudibly, “…Yeah.”

And just like that, Lu Han grew silent.

Reaching for a drawer, he pulled out a single pearl necklace, snapping it in the process as it got caught in the handle. Pearls scattered everywhere and Lu Han, ever so carefully, exited the room, slamming the door behind him.

“Take what you want. Just don’t show your face in front of me again.”