Carnation

Geek In The Pink

Taeyeon just couldn’t wait for Thursday. Thursday was the day when she would sign her contract and officially train as a member of the InnerPowerCore. In fact, she was so excited that she was already planning her look for that day.

“So I have two formal clothes here.” she told herself while holding a hanger in each hand with clothes on them. “One’s purple with a shade of pink and one’s carnation. Which one is more contract signing appropriate?” she wondered upon that thought.

If you wanna pretty, everyone a pretty…

Taeyeon set the clothes down and picked her phone up. As usual, it was Onew.

“Where were you yesterday? I was calling all day long!” Onew asked.

“I was having fun with my new stylist, BoA’s sister Jennifer Kwon. She, unlike the stylists you hired, is knowledgeable in fashion and has a unique sense of style. Jennifer knows what looks good on me and doesn’t compromise my fashion sense!”

“What did she do for you?”

“Oh I don’t know…she dolled me up and set me up for a photoshoot?” Taeyeon had a wicked smile on her face.

“YOU ALREADY HAD A PHOTOSHOOT?!” Onew asked, shocked.

“Why not? I mean, I am their talent now, right?”

“But trainees don’t get their photoshoots til after the training!” Onew insisted on the company rules.

“Guess I’m a special kind of trainee. What’s that word? Favorite?” Onew grunted.

“You? A favorite? After your famous on screen act they deemed you the favorite?!”

“Might I remind you that Kangin was impressed ith my audition and actually saw me as the all around star. So bring up my past all you want. It’ll never change the fact that I’m the most loved trainee right now.”
Onew grinned childishly and brought up ‘her past’.

“Oh really?”

“Yeah, really!” Taeyeon confidently said.

“So I can bring up your past all I want?” Onew grinned to himself like the Cheshire cat.

“Sure! Tell me whatever! Tell me how much I as a reporter. Tell me about how formal I was then. Tell me about how I walked out and flipped the entire nation on TV. Tell me-”

“About the time when you and Leeteuk were together!” Onew knew Taeyeon’s weakness and that was Leeteuk. It was obvious in her movements that she still loved Leeteuk and thought of him. Why would she be drinking and sleeping excessively lately, not to mention the 180 degree personality shift.

“Take back what you said.” Taeyeon said with a stern voice that was trying its best not to crack up in giddy laughter. Leeteuk still made her giddy.

“You said I could bring up your past!” Onew childishly played around with her. Taeyeon was messing her hair up and prancing around her room.

“Only certain parts!”

“You never said anything like that!”

“Well it doesn’t matter!” Taeyeon grunted angrily. “I’m gonna be a star and he’s still nothing! Leeteuk? Who is he? He’s nobody!”

“Okay, I wouldn’t jump into conclusions if I were you! First of all, Leeteuk is making loads of money. Second, Leeteuk is so handsome right now. So handsome that if I was a girl I’d marry him. Seriously. And third, you’re still jobless. How sure are you that you’re gonna get in. I mean, sure you did get in but how long do you think you’ll last?” Taeyeon felt insulted as though Onew was questioning her ability.

“The question is, why won’t I last?” Taeyeon hissed back. Onew cringed and chuckled.

“Why won’t you last?”

“Yeah. Why not? I mean, Kangin loved my audition. I’m a workaholic, I enjoy doing whatever is given to me. I have perfect work ethics. Plus, I’m not camera shy having worked on TV for quite some time. This ain’t no trouble for me. I’ll breeze through this, I’m telling you Jin Ki!”

“We’ll see about that. You’re gonna start training on Thursday.”

“I know. And I can’t wait.”

“Say, I gotta get some sleep. Talk to you tomorrow. Night!” Onew hung up on Taeyeon who didn’t respond. Taeyeon was just too excited to sleep but not wanting to have eyebags hanging below her eyes on the big day, she forced herself to sleep.

[COME THURSDAY]

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGGG!!!
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGGG!!!

Taeyeon’s alarm went of loudly. It woke her up instantly, making her jump out of bed. She grabbed the alarm clock and checked the time.

“OH MY GOD!” Taeyeon threw it on her bed and didn’t even bother to shut it up. She rushed to the shower and refreshed herself quickly. Without drying her hair and with only a towel on, she ran to her wardrobe and fished out a carnation ruffled top and matched it with butterfly belt and a black mini skirt.

I’m late again! I’m always late! Why can’t I wake up early?! I could do it before! Why have I become so lazy?! Taeyeon thought while drying her hair and going about her usual dressing habits. Once she was ready, she dried her hair using the blow dryer instead of the towel. Her now curly, now chesnut brown hair was starting to dry and once she decided it was good to go, she dashed out of her room and grabbed a cup of yogurt. Taeyeon entered her Cadillac swiftly and put it in ignition. The star-to-be drove down the same highway to their office building.

This was a time when Taeyeon had to be a multitasker. While driving, she was applying her mascara with an oatmeal cookie in .

If you wanna pretty, everyone a pretty…

Oh great! What do these people think I am? An octopus?!

This time it wasn’t Onew calling her. Taeyeon kept the mascara and removed the cookie from . She picked the phone up.

“Hello?”

“Kim Taeyeon? This is Kangin. Please come to work now. Your contract signing starts any minute now and you are nowhere to be found.”

“Yes, sir. I am on my way.” Taeyeon was now driving while eating while talking on the phone. The stop light came on and all the cars had to stop before the intersection, allowing Taeyeon some time to continue applying her makeup.

“If you want a decent job here, you have to learn how to come on time. Respect the schedule.” Kangin said sternly. You can tell there was no nonesense in his voice and he wasn’t playing around when he said that.

Looks like working here is a lot tougher than I thought. Back in my old place I’d come late and they never gave a !

“I’m sorry,sir.”

“Sorry won’t cut it next time. Hurry up!” Kangin hung up on Taeyeon. When the green light came on, Taeyeon dashed past the other cars and made a turn to the parking lot of the InnerPowerCore Building. She parked carelessly and exited her car with her pink purse and her paper bag of cookies. Her carnation pink stilettoes clacked with every step she made. The security guard who always stood at the front door greeted her with a smile, half-welcoming and half-ridiculing. Taeyeon still had her cookies in one hand and her mascara in the other. She was struggling to apply the mascara on her eyelashes without a mirror and almost poked her eye with the brush.

“!” she said. She swalloed the cookie and took a bite from another cookie.

If you wanna pretty, everyone a pretty…

Taeyeon struggled to reach for her phone with her cookie bag in her right hand. She was able to fish it out and answered the bothering call.

“Hello? Whoever is calling can you please let me-”

“This is Kangin. You are almost 10 minutes late. Come to the Conference Room on the 7th floor. Hurry up! You’re the only one we’re waiting for!” Kangin said. Taeyeon nodded though she knew Kangin wouldn’t be able to see her.

“Alright sir. I’m coming. I’m coming.” she said in between mouthfuls. Taeyeon ran for the elevator and she was lucky enough to catch the open one.

“EXCUSE ME COMING THROUGH!” she breezed her way through people and made it before the elevator could close. Taeyeon ate the last cookie and crumpled the paper bag. She kept it in her bag and fished out her lipstick. Taeyeon was done with her mascara and in her hurry, jammed it inside her bag without even closing in tightly.

In her panic, Taeyeon realized as the lighted buttons on the elevators started to go off one by one that she forgot to push the 7th floor button. Her eyes opened and she panicked, hurried to the front and pushed the 7th button.

But it was too late.

The elevator had gone up already. To the 12th floor.

Dammit! Just missed! Was that how long I had been staring into space? Taeyeon pushed the 7th floor button and waited for the elevator to go down. It did. Very slowly. Taeyeon pranced around alone in the elevator, biting her nails and slowly scraping the pink nail polish off. The elevator stopped on the 7th floor and Taeyeon immediately dashed out, ran on the said floor, cruising from left to right, not knowing where the Conference Room is. She was too afraid to call Kangin for fear that he might yell at her if she told him.

Taeyeon ran to the left and checked the nameplates of the doors. She looked for a conference room.

Room 756, 757,758...Goddammit! How am I supposed to find a conference room here when none of the 26 letters that I’m looking for can be seen!

Taeyeon continued to read the number plates one by one til she reached the end of the left wing. Exhausted from running and reading, she turned to the right and planned to do the same thing.

If it’s not on the left wing, definitely it’s on the right. I just have to sharpen my eyes this time. Taeyeon did the exact same thing and since her focus was on the room plates.

Which room is it? Everything here is basically numbers and I can’t seem to find anything that looks like a conference room! Without her knowing, she already passed the conference room and Kangin as well as the other executives saw her hunting for the room.

“Oh brother!” Kangin rolled his eyes and sighed. He got up and stepped out of the room. He saw Taeyeon walking on looking at the name plates and trying to find a ‘Conference Room’.

“Excuse me, Geek in the pink! In case you haven‘t noticed, the rooms here aren‘t labeled with words so you aren‘t going to find a ‘conference room‘ on any of the doors. I assume that‘s what you‘re looking for.” called Kangin. Taeyeon heard this and whipped around. She saw Kangin from a distance and gladly ran to him. She forgot that she was in stilletoes and tripped like crazy. Kangin rolled his eyes at her clumsiness and walked to her, held her by the shoulders. Taeyeon was taken aback by this gesture and begged to be released.

“Come inside. You are 15 minutes late.”

“I’m sorry. I can explain. The elevator went-”

“Let’s go. We’ll talk later.”

Taeyeon walked shyly behind Kangin into the conference room where her contract was. The other executives looked at her, some frowned at her for not coming on time. Her contract was presented to her and the terms and conditions were discussed.

“This is a 10 year contract you’re signing with InnerPower Core. In the 10 years that you’ll be staying here, a half a year will be alotted for your training and you will continue to train after your debut. You shall specialize in singing, dancing, acting, and hosting. You will receive voice lessons, dance lessons in hip hop and jazz, acting lessons, and public relation seminars. You will release albums, star in movies/TV shows, endorse products, and host talk shows/variety shows. Your contract will expire in 10 years. It is up to you if you want to renew it or terminate it.” Kangin continued to explain the terms of her contract and when he was done, he presented it to her and the other executives.

“Sign it.” Kangin said, noticing her stagnant state. He handed her a pen but she returned his pen and pulled out a pink gel pen from her bag. The other executives’ eyes widened in surprise.

“Sorry, but I prefer to stand out!” Taeyeon boldly proclaimed, signing the contract. Her signature was affixed in flirty fashion, looking like a butterfly with a heart. She smiled at Kangin and handed him the contract, going around to shake hands with the executives. They all gave her a wary look.

“This girl’s not gonna last long here.” whispered one to another.

“Judging by the way she carries herself, I think the trainers will give up on her on the first day.”

“Two weeks?”

“Two days.” the two executives snickered under their breaths.

Taeyeon overheard these and it dampened her spirit. She was normally carefree and independent but to have people on the first day say that you’ll only last for two days really lowered her self-esteem. Hurt, Taeyeon felt the tears forming in her eyes once again.

Great! It’s only contract igning days and I’m being bullied. Good luck to me trying to get even with Leeteuk! Might as well just accept defeat and tell ‘em, ‘Hey Leeteuk! It’s me your ex-girlfriend! Guess what? I’m broke and jobless while you’re a big millionaire with tons of girls on either arm!’ While I’m here, still in love with you, trying so hard to move on. Did I mention how I was a trainee for 2 days?’

“Poor work ethics won’t get her anywhere!” jeered one girl executive. Taeyeon felt the tear roll down her face so she turned the other way to wipe it, hiding her tears from her elders. Not wanting to leave without her word, Taeyeon faced them with a tear in her right eye and said,

“Thank you for your warm acceptance. I hope to enjoy my stay here.” Taeyeon said with a faint, weak smile and exited the conference room. She stepped out of the room and leaned on the wall. The executives inside acted like it was no big deal and even coldly reacted to it.

“What a cliché crybaby.” said one. Kangin, concerned about the emotional state of the rookie, dismmissed the executives just to have a one on one with Taeyeon.

“Session is over. You are dismissed.” everyone got up and left the room, not bothering to glance at Taeyeon who was on the brink of crying. Kangin let them all pass before inviting her into the room again.

“Good luck, Barbie!” said one executive to another. Taeyeon heard this and this only made her eyes heavier with tears.

“Have a seat.” Taeyeon sat down in one of the chairs and let her tears roll. She was gradually letting her emotions out.

“I’m sorry I was late. I was in a hurry that I didn’t realize that I forgot to press the button so the elevator went all the way up. I had to go down so-”

“I have no interest whatsoever in why you are late. I don’t care about your excuses.” Taeyeon’s tear fell harder when she heard ‘excuses’.

“I am not making this up!” she sobbed. “I really did get lost on my way!”

“I am not interested in whatever it is you have to say. I am not interested in your reasons.” That really hurt Taeyeon. “What I want you to know and understand is that we here at IPC do not tolerate people who do not know how to follow a given time frame. We value punctuality and responsibility, especially on our artists’ part. It’s part of training them to become professionals.” he noticed that Taeyeon was already sobbing. Her face was wet with tears and red. He pulled out a tissue from his pocket but she declined.

“I have my own. Go on with your speech.” Taeyeon pulled out a pink napkin and used this to wipe her tears. He smartened his tie and continued.

“It’s not enough that you’re talented. We can turn anyone into a singer or a dancer. Our trained teachers do that for us. But what we cannot train you to become is a responsible person. That should come from within you. I assume that you are mature enough to value your as well as other people’s time, judging that you have worked before.” Taeyeon couldn’t bring herself to tell Kangin that it wasn’t because she was immature. She was very punctual and responsible when she was a reporter. It’s just that…

I’m not irresponsible. I’m not immature. I was never late in my previous job. In fact, when I was a journalist, I was always the first reporter to arrive and the last to leave. I’m just heartbroken and depressed. I’ve been had. I’ve been replaced. That’s all. And it’s too much to bear. It’s like, when you’re hurting inside all you want to do is curl into a small ball, cover yourself with the sheets and sleep. Sleep and pray that you won’t wake up anymore so you won’t get to see what’ll happen next.

“As I’ve said, we can turn anyone into a star. But we cannot make responsible beings out of you. This is work, not school. When you come to work, responsibility is the first thing you should have. I mean, what are you? Nine?”

“I understand. And I’m sorry.”

“I know I shouldn’t tell you this but I think I should now. Just to give you a little wake up-call. You’re one lucky gal to have a friend who works here at IPC. I was just about to cancel the meeting because of your tardiness but then he called me up and told me to wait just a little while because he knew you were on your way. He had such great faith in you.” Kangin said. Taeyeon knew right then and there that he was pertaining to one man. Onew. “If it wasn’t for him, you wouldn’t have become an official member.”

“Lee Jin ki? He’s always there for me.”

“And I’m sure he always will be.”

“Your executives are mean.” she bluntly spoke. Kangin raised an eyebrow and looked at her.

“They aren’t mean.” he said. “They just don’t know how to have fun.” Taeyeon arched her eyebrow and furrowed them, a sign that she couldn’t understand what he said.

“They have never encountered a spirited and independent woman like you before. Our past artists were very formal on the contract signing day but you are different. They’re not used to that.”

“Well they’re gonna have to start getting used to it because when I debut, things are about to change.” Taeyeon said. Kangin looked at her and at his watch.

“Keep yourself grounded. Don’t let it all get to your head.” he stood up and left her alone in the room to contemplate about her future as an entertainer in this company.

If you wanna pretty, everyone a pretty…

“Hello?”

“How’d it go?!” Onew asked excitedly.

“Not very well.”

“What? Why not? Come to my office!” Taeyeon hugn up on him. She felt tears about to run down her cheeks as she walked out of the room and into the elevator. She made sure to push the 5th floor button this time. The elevator went two floors down and Taeyeon walked slowly out, looked for Onew’s office and found it. She slowly opened the door and saw Onew with a worried look on his face.

“Shut the door and sit down. Be sure to lock it by the way.” Taeyeon locked the door and walked slowly to the seat. Once seated, Taeyeon wept.

“God, what’s wrong with you? What happened?”

“They hate me!” Taeyeon cried out loud. “They ing hate me!”

“What? What made you say that?”

“The whole time they were talking behind my back, saying how I wouldn’t make it and that they’d give me two days.” Onew took out another box of tissue paper.

“And you should listen to what they say because?”

“Because it hurts, Onew! It ing hurts! Can you imagine being told that you wouldn’t last a day doing something you love so well?”Taeyeon said.

“Well don’t stop there!” Onew encouraged her. “Show them that you’re boss! Prove them wrong by giving your best every time you have the opportunity.”

“That’ll be the day. I’m starting to think that they’re right!”

“DON’T!” Onew pounded his table. “Do not think that! You’re lowering yourself! You’re letting them bully you around! You’re letting them prevent you from showing your full potential to the world!”

“Well if you think about it, it’s kinda true! I’m always late. I’m an emotional mess. I can’t do properly. And if I’m not mistaken Kangin was supposed to cancel the meeting but if it wasn’t for your intervention none of this signing would’ve happened! He talked to me about responsibility and called me immature. That’s my very onw boss calling me a screw-up! I blew it on the first day! I think he just staged everything and let me sign that contract in your favor. I bet he’s ripping it to shreds now!” Taeyeon exhaled deeply. Onew shook his head.

“You aren’t leaving this establishment without making a name for yourself, you understand me?”

“I have already made a name for myself! An immature Barbie who has no work ethics and low self-esteem. I don’t need no ing contract! If I’m not mistaken this is another job that I’ll screw up in two years time for sure! I’ll go on TV and flip my ex-boyfriend. I’ll release a CD that’s autotuned with my voice extremely enhanced that has about 10 f-bombs per line and I’ll release a movie that’s about a scorned woman murdering her husband in the ! I’m gonna create bad noise again, I can sense it! Why? Cause it’s what I’m good at. Messing things up!” Taeyeon bowed her head and cried. Onew comforted her by bringing out a pack of Chips Ahoy Chunky Cookies. Taeyeon heard the package being set on the table and looked up. Cookies (food in general) never failed to make her happy.

“You really know me, don’t you? I wouldn’t be surprised if a DNA test revealed that we were siblings.” Taeyeon said. She grabbed some cookies and ate. Cookie after cookie. Onew knew that she loved to eat when depressed.

“I would.” Onew said. “I couldn’t possibly be related to someone like you.”

“Is that an insult to bring yourself up or a compliment to put yourself down?”

 

“Compliment but not to down myself. I couldn’t possibly be related to you. I don’t know anyone as talented as you! You sing well, you dance well, you’re not half-bad as an actress. And you are a gifted writer and speaker, Taeyeon. I couldn’t possibly be related to someone as skilled as you!”

“Thanks. Kangin said you have such great faith in me. Is that true?”

“True as the sky is blue.” Onew smiled his signature smile. Taeyeon smiled and laughed.

“I’m glad that we aren’t related.” she joked. Onew knew this and laughed along with her.

“Just don’t listen to what they say, alright? You’re talented, you’re professional, you have star power, and you’re beautiful. Call me biased cause you’re my friend but it’s true. If they can’t see that, they must be really blind.”

“Well their eyes are always fixed to the front like the horses that pull carriages.” Taeyeon joked. She was still eating the cookies.

“You are evil. Drinks tonight?”

“Nah! I’d rather sleep!”

“When’s your training?”

“I think it’ll start tomorrow? I guess?”

“That’s good. “

“I gotta go now, Onew. I have to get up early tomorrow.”

“Learned your lesson?” he asked with a smirk.

“Learned from the Pig, I mean, Big Boss.” Taeyeon jeered.

“Evil. I’ll see you tomorrow!”

“See you too!” Taeyeon walked out of his office with a renewed sense of self. Her self-esteem went up a notch.

 


[AT HOME]

Taeyeon began to plan for her first day of training. She took out all her workout clothes and shoes. Most of them were, as you know by now, pink. Despite having so many clothes in her wardrobe, Taeyeon still had difficulty picking things to wear because to her, no matter how beautiful a particular dress’ design is, she still found it boring and bland. There was always something more.

“Which outfit should I wear? Pink top, white sweatpants? Blue top black shorts? Purple top, pink sweatpants?” Taeyeon had her newly curled and dyed hair up in a messy ponytail. She was wearing a pink cardigan, a white tee and loose shorts. “Screw it I’m bringing all three!” she packed all three sets in her bag along with extra shoes, toiletries, and food. There was one thing she never missed out on. Food.

“Got my cookies, my chips, Pringles or Lays? Both!” Taeyeon stuffed her bag with it. After packing, she decided to lie down in bed instead of going down to drink wine.

I think that if I just cut alcohol out of my life, it would run a tad bit smoother thatn it’s running now. Taeyeon stared at the ceiling. She thought of all the drama in her life. Taking her pink Macbook Air, she logged in to her Twitter account just to see what was going on in her (Leeteuk’s) life.

“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams”-Dr. Seuss.

And it was followed by a…

“A legal kiss is never as good as a stolen one…”

That did it. It broke Taeyeon’s heart. Broke it and shattered it and smashed it and splattered it. Taeyeon now knew what a heart attack felt like. Really painful.

“I could die of cardiac arrest right now.” she whispered. Tears slowly formed in her eyes-again and this time, with no hesitaion, she bawled her eyes out in front of the Mac, getting the keyboard wet. Since no one was around to make fun of her, or ask her, or judge her, she didn’t cover her face and just all-out sobbed in her room. Her shrieks and wails were so loud that she sounded as if she was being tortured.

If you wanna pretty, everyone a pretty…

Onew was calling Taeyeon. Taeyeon grabbed her phone and answered it.

“Jin Ki.” Taeyeon pouted and sobbed childishly. “Jin Ki Jin Ki Jin Ki Jin Ki Jin Ki…”
“Oh no! It’s the puppy dog sob again. What’s it about this time?” Taeyeon tried to come up with a pretty good excuse but failed. The heartbreak was just too much for her to take.

“HE’S IN LOVE WITH YOON EUN HYE!!!” she broke down and cried. Onew rolled his eyes and gave himself a facepalm.

“Oh no! Not this again.” he grunted.

“He tweeted love quotes and I know that they weren’t directed at me. He’s in love with Yoon Eun hye! It’s official!”

“Is that what you’re crying about right now? The same thing you told me several weeks ago?” Taeyeon couldn’t come up with a logical answer so she decided to keep silent.

“What did I tell you about ex-boyfriends? Past is past. Let go of things that happened already. Don’t dwell in the past. One way or another, he’s gonna fall in love with someone else. And you’re just gonna have to accept the fact that it’s not gonna be you this time.”

“That’s not what upsets me.”

“Then what are you crying about?”

“I know and have somewhat already accepted the fact that he will fall for another girl. But what makes me sad is that, this girl and him aren’t together and yet he spends a ot of time and effort on her whereas when we were together, I took most of the initiative. He never spent sleepless nights talking to me. In short, he’s more dedicated and vocal about this one than me.”

“Maybe that means he loves her more than he loved you.” Taeyeon teared up again.

“It’s not fair. It’s just not fair. They’re not even together.” Taeyeon cried bitter tears. Onew sighed and pitied his friend.

“You know what, instead of crying over this, why don’t you prove to him that you’re better.”

“Huh?”

“Yeah. Prove to him that you’re made of something. Prove to him that he was wrong when he let you go. Make him regret breaking up with you!”
“You know what, you’re right. I think it’s time for me to get a new-”

“That’s not what I meant.” Onew spoke ahead of her. “I don’t want you to go on a rebound. Rebound relationships are ! What I meant is that now that they’re about to launch your career, prove to him using your skill that you’re one of a kind. You’re remarkable.” Onew said.

“By being famous?”

“Yeah. Because nothing can make him feel more remorseful than having him see your face everyday, everywhere, everytime.” Taeyeon’s face lit up and she smiled a broken, hurt, yet hopeful smile.

“You’re absolutely right. I will make it good in this. I will prove to him that I’m bigger, I’m better, and I’m not one to mope around and cry over him.”

“That’s the spirit!” With one strong, happy smile, Taeyeon said with determination and pride,

“I’m gonna be a star.” With that, she hung up on Onew and retired for the night.