Chapter 9

Second Chance

With the vandals in police custody, Andy was able to finish the new garden on time. Andy and his crew worked so hard during the humid heat of Jeju with little breaks, but they managed to finish everything. Nothing was overlooked, nothing was pulled together cheaply.

 

It was perfect.

 

Eric had seen the garden during the construction process, but seeing it when it was finished, with Andy showing him around and explaining the materials he had used, was something else. Andy took pride in his work and hearing him prattle on was endearing. It remind Eric of what Andy was like before. Sure, he always had a low self-esteem, but it wasn’t as bad as it now.

 

Andy obviously liked his work as a landscape designer. And no wonder he was good at it.

 

The work Andy had done on the garden, despite the horrid working circumstances, was the best Eric had ever seen. Now he knows next to nothing about landscaping, but even he could tell that a lot of effort was put into it.

 

If only he could make Andy care that much about himself.

 

As night fell, Eric had to get ready for the grand opening of the new garden, his family would arrive soon and he had to look his best for the occasion. The atmosphere was relaxed but professional. So he wore black pants and a dark blue shirt.

 

He managed to talk to Andy into wearing something similar.

 

Eric asked Andy to come to his VIP room, which he had arranged for this very occasion. He wanted to reintroduce Andy to his family. Eric didn’t tell him that Jiyeon was going to be there. Andy was nervous enough, imagine how would he be if he knew his tormentor was there?

 

Walking into the private room, Eric was pleased to see his mother there. He completely ignored Jiyeon as she sat at the corner of the room, looking rather bored. Instead, he smiled at his older sister, Inyoung. She was a few years older than him and had only just came back from a month long trip around Europe.

 

Eric knew that Inyoung had nothing to do with Andy’s torment. She adored Andy, gushed over him in a sisterly sort of way. And Andy never said anything bad about her. They got along well. Inyoung even helped Eric design Andy’s engagement ring, promising to draw up the wedding plans as soon as they decided the date.

 

She was absolutely gutted when Andy disappeared.

 

Eric pushed those thoughts aside when he greeted his mother, kissing her on the cheek.

 

“I’m sorry, your father couldn’t make it” Eric’s mother said. “He does send his regards, though.”

 

“It’s alright” Eric said in return. “He’s a busy man. How’s the contract coming?”

 

“Oh, wonderfully” mother said with a hint of pride. “He’s just finishing it off right now”

 

“That’s good” Eric said before he turned to his sister, allowing the older woman to give him an enthuasiatic hug. “Nuna, how was Europe?”

 

“It’s wonderful” Inyoung practically beamed at him, looking radiant. Spending a month with your husband would do that to you. Eric would have to try it sometimes. “You really should have come as well” said Inyoung.

 

“And be the third wheel with you and your husband? Not likely”

 

Inyoung simply laughed at him as she took a step back. It seemed that she assumed Eric would greet Jiyeon the same way he did to her, but look confused when Eric wouldn’t even look in Jiyeon’s direction.

 

Eric was pretty sure that Jiyeon was glaring at him. She could glare as much as she wanted, it wasn’t going to work.

 

“What did you want to talk to us in private, Eric?” Inyoung asked.

 

“In a second” Eric said in response to her question and the room fell into a momentarily silence. Then, there was a light knock at the door. Eric knew immediately who was on the other side.

 

“Ah, here he is” Eric said as he strode to the door and opened it. Andy stood out in the hallway, looking apprehensive, yet determined as well. He wanted to do this, to prove to Eric how much he wanted to be with him, how much he loved Eric.

 

“Don’t just stand there, come in”

 

Eric reached out his hand and Andy took it. There was an immediate stunned silence, the three women looking at Andy with shocked expressions. Andy tensed, stayed where he was. His gaze was looking down to the floor, not wanting to look at anyone.

 

Mother’s hand flew up to in shock. “Eric. Is that…?”

 

Inyoung said nothing. She simply stared wide-eyed at Andy, a look of disbelief on her face.

 

“Everyone, I have a few things I need to say” Eric said before anyone else had the chance to say anything, or worst, throw an accusation toward Andy. “Firstly, I’d like to introduce, or rather re-introduced Andy Lee; the designer or the new garden” He placed a hand on Andy’s back and pulled him closer. “And my fiancé”

 

The gasps can be heard. Well, two gasps of surprise, one of blatant disapproval and annoyance. It didn’t take a scientist to figure out who wasn’t happy.

 

Andy’s head snapped up at the disapproving hiss and immediately turned his attention to Eric, who had his hand on the small of his back, keeping him by his side. “Hyung? What are you doing?”

 

Eric chose to ignore that question for the time being, this time turning his piercing gaze directly at Jiyeon, for the first time that night and he allowed a sense of anger to seep into his tone. “Secondly, I’d like to direct this to my dear sister, Jiyeon. Who, for the past six years, has lied straight to my face”

 

Jiyeon tensed subtly, but managed to keep her expression impassive. “What do you mean?” She asked Eric, her eyes momentarily betraying her as she glared at Andy.

 

Mother, on the other hand, wasn’t all that impressed. “Eric, I certainly hope you aren’t-“

 

“Here” Eric suddenly said as he plunged his hand into his pocket and pulled out the crumbled photo. “Remember this picture?”

 

He threw the photo to floor. Jiyeon glanced down at it and did a double take, her face paling slightly in recognition.

 

“The one you took to convince Andy to leave?” Eric carried on, his words cutting deep, so deep that she winced. “From the look on your face, you do. I bet you also remember the lies you told Andy, hm? What were they again?

 

Eric turned to Andy, whom of which was trembling slightly, as if recalling what had occured during that moment. Eric didn’t want to hurt his fiancé, his lover by making him remember, but everyone had to know the vicious things Jiyeon had said to him.

 

Andy looked up at him, a sense of fear in his eyes. Eric knew what Andy felt, he gives a reassuring smile at Andy, prompting him to let it out. To say the things Jiyeon said, to release them as they weren’t  true.

 

Andy swallowed slightly and lowered his gaze at the floor again. “I’m under classed, worthless, useless and causes everyone especially the Mun’s nothing but trouble. I’m tarnishing their name and holding Eric hyung back from his full potential. I’m a pathetic person who can’t give the Mun’s grandchildren that they deserve. It would be of the family’s best interest if I just leave their lives completely. I shouldn’t be selfish as I don’t deserve to be happy. I’m-“

 

“That’s enough, baby” Eric whispered softly as he can see that tears were falling from Andy’s eyes. He didn’t want Andy to continue. Eric gritted his teeth, his jaw clenched tightly shut. Eric can imagined the pain Andy must have felt when he heard those words. And believe them. Eric Andy’s back gently, trying to calm the crying Andy.

 

It hurts Eric, to see Andy cry. Eric felt guilty toward Andy. He didn’t know that his cute little sister could turned into a evil monster.

 

Inyoung had her hand, which were trembling, over . She was near to tears as she shook her head in disbelief. “Oh, Andy…” She whispered, her voice thick with emotion.

 

She then walked over to Andy and hugged him. Eric smiled sadly as he let go of Andy, letting his older sister babble and cry, expressing her remorse and sadness.

 

“I’m…I’m sorry” Andy choked out.

 

“No no no!” Inyoung said as she pulled back, placing her hands on either side of his face, looking at him straight in the eye. “You have nothing to be sorry for. Nothing” She then turned away from him and looking to their mother, “Tell him, mom. Tell him”

 

Mother was sitting on a chair, with teary eyes. She then held out her arms toward Andy, pleading him to come forward. She wanted to hug him, to hold him.

 

Eric slightly pushed an unsteady Andy forward. She latched onto his arms and held on tight as she looked up at him, her bottom lip quivering.

 

Andy dropped down to his knees and hugged the woman that was like a mother to him. Andy started to sobbed when mother wrapped her arms around him, whispering motherly words of comfort and reassurance.

 

Eric had to swallow back his own emotions at the scene, while Inyoung still crying. It was so clear that Andy’s disappearance affected his family. However, Inyoung’s wiped her tears and looked at his sister, a look of pure rage on her usually bright and bubbly features.

 

“How could you?!” She practically yelled at her.

 

Jiyeon who had been quiet throughout the entire event so far, turned her gaze to her older sister and appeared to tremble for a moment. She looked positively guilty. But it didn’t last long. An expression of defiance soon appeared.

 

“I did it for Eric oppa!” She yelled back, pointing a somewhat accusing finger at Eric. “You see, there was no way he have rebuilt the Purple Hibiscus if he was married to Andy. It was for his benefit!”

 

It appeared that Jiyeon didn’t have a hint of remorse for what she had done. She even tried to pin it on Eric himself.

 

“For your benefit, you mean” Eric retorted sharply. “After all, with Andy out of the picture, you could have all the money you ever wanted”

 

A stunned silence fell over the room.

 

“What do you mean?” Andy asked as he pulled away from Eric’s mother, taking to his feet and hastily rubbing his eyes in order to wipe away his tears.

 

Eric immediately pulled Andy closer to him again, wrapping an arm around his waist. “When we were engaged, I arranged it in my will that if anything happen to me, you would inherit everything I owned. Everything.”

 

“What?” Andy spluttered, clearly surprise. “But-“

 

Eric placing a finger to Andy’s lips to silence him. “I don’t plan on dying anytime soon. I didn’t tell you because I knew you wouldn’t want it as you never desired any of my wealth. And I didn’t tell anyone for the fear that they would see you as a gold-digger.”

 

“But, that’s normal” Inyoung said

 

“Right” Eric nodded. “ But I seemed to have made the mistake by telling Jiyeon about it”

 

“…” Jiyeon opened to respond in some way, but nothing came out. There was nothing she could say. He was right.

 

“Wait, this was all over money?” Inyoung asked with a biting edge in her voice.

 

Eric’s family was rich, the richest on he entire island. But they didn’t want to be like other rich families. They didn’t want money to be the deciding factor in everything. They didn’t want to be like those families you hear of on the ‘Crime and Investigation’ channel where they commit crimes and murder in order to get their hands on more money. Their parents instill a sense of community and purpose in them, so they’d learn to value partnership and companionship of money.

 

They had made a promise never to fight over money.

 

Apparently, Jiyeon wasn’t being sincere.

 

“I should have suspected something was wrong when she was the one who told me that Andy left and why he left” Eric said. The younger man realizing that he was used and tricked in the worst way.

 

“I can’t believe it…” Inyoung muttered as she shook her head, the anger still flaring in her eyes. Her breathing quickened when she turned back to Jiyeon. “Over money?!”

 

“He isn’t good enough for you, Oppa!” Jiyeon exclaimed rather pitifully.

 

“Apparently, no one is” Eric snapped, turning his own hateful gaze at the girl, who he no longer thought of as his sister. “I see what you were doing. You wanted me stay a bachelor on fear that I might make someone else the next-of-kin and you would be left with nothing, you wanted to have everything without making an effort”

 

He had her all figured out. Oh, she was good at pulling people along, making them believe that she was sincere and good.

 

It made Eric felt disgusted.

 

“And to think about it, I actually gave you everything you wanted” Eric muttered bitterly. But, a smirk soon appeared on his lips. He was going to enjoy what he was about to say next. “Not anymore”

 

That made Jiyeon felt nervous. “What do you mean?”

 

“You tried to take away the one thing that are precious to me” Eric said as he took a moment to look down at Andy, smiling sweetly at him, before turning to smirk at Jiyeon again. “So, I will do the same to you”

 

“I’m going to take away your money. You won’t be seeing a cent of my money ever again. You are no longer welcomed to stay at the Purple Hibiscus, nor are you allowed to enter any of my lodgings ever again. Looks like you’re either going to create a career for yourself. Or snag a rich but stupid husband to pay for your social life”

 

That should hit her where it hurts the most.

 

“After you deal with the court proceedings, of course” Eric said, as an afterthought.

 

Jiyeon was scared now. “C-court proceedings?”

 

Eric chuckled humourlessly. “Did you really think the men you hired to trash the garden project and harass Andy wouldn’t squeal on you?”

 

Mother, who had managed to somewhat gather herself, turned to Jiyeon. Hearing that her youngest daughter was responsible for the break-up of Eric’s relationship and that she didn’t remorseful for it was bad enough. But to hear that she actually went off and hired some men to hurt Andy physically? It just couldn’t be true.

 

“Yeon ah, is this true?”

 

“W-what?” Jiyeon stuttered, her face draining of colour as she stumbled over her words. “I-I would never-“

 

“That’s not what they’ve been telling the police officer after they were arrested last night” Eric retorted coolly.

 

“H-how could you do this to your own sister?” Jiyeon suddenly wailed on him, turning to give Eric a deeply accusing and desperate look. “How could you choose him over me?!”

 

“You have no right to ask me any of those questions” Eric spat back, wrapping both arms around Andy and keeping him pressed against his chest. “After everything you’ve done, not only to me, but to Andy. For six years, you forced us apart for your own selfish reasons”

 

Just as Eric had finished saying those words, there was a knock at the door and Eric forced himself to calm down a little. The door opened and two uniformed police men and a detective, who flashed his badge, stepped into the room.

 

Eric nodded to them before he turned back to Jiyeon, giving her one last smirk. “Now, if you would excuse us, we have a party to attend to. And some catching up to do”

 

“Hyung, just a moment” Andy said as he pulled himself from Eric and walked to Jiyeon. There was something burning inside his eyes, there’s no more timid Andy infront of Jiyeon now. Jiyeon somehow felt nervous, scared to see Andy like this. And the next thing Andy did, surprise everyone in that room. Andy slapped Jiyeon hard on her face. That makes Jiyeon looked at him with wide and teary eyes while hold her cheek. Jiyeon can’t believe what just happened to her. In a blink of eyes, she had everything to nothing. In just a second, her life turn upside down. And to make it worse, she even got slapped by someone who she really hate.

 

Andy then gives a 90 degree bow to Mother and Inyoung. Eric wrapped an arm around Andy’s shoulder, lead him out of the room, leaving Jiyeon alone with his mother and sister, and the police men of course. He’s sure that his sister and mother have a few things they’d like to say to Jiyeon as well.

 

Outside the room, Eric and Andy walked side by side, hand by hand.

 

“Wow, my sweetie was so brave tonight” Eric said proudly as he patted the younger man head.

 

Andy just smiled at him. They stopped walking and just looked each other in the eyes, sincerely and lovingly. Seconds later, Andy started to has tears in his eyes again.

 

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Eric asked, concerned.

 

“Nothing. I’m just relieve everything is over. And I’m happy to have you back in my life” Andy replied.

 

“Yeah, me too” Eric planted a soft kiss on Andy’s forehead and hugged him tightly. Andy hugged him back. Eric then pulled away slightly just to wipe the tears with his thumb and kiss Andy’s lips. They were kissing for quite a long time before they both pulled back because the lacked of oxygen.

 

“How about Jiyeon now?” Andy asked.

 

“Hmm I don’t know about that. But what I know is that she would never be between us again. Maybe the police men would love to have a nice, long chat with her at the police station, right?”

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Fisrtly, I want to apologize to sue_erin, orangekath, and NikeIsCraZy because I already promised you guys to update this chapter last week. But because I'm too busy, so I don't made it. Sorry, okay? :D

Secondly, do you think that this chapter are the end, or should I make another chapter. Epilogue maybe?

Thirdly, like usual, don't forget to comment ^^