Chapter 1

Second Chance

Andy couldn’t  believe his luck. He had been working as a Landscaper and Landscape Designer for the past five years, working his off with his uncle's son, Lee Minwoo who owned Grandeur Garden Designs. It was a hard slog, those five years, but it was proving to be worth it.

For now they managed to score a job at a five star hotel on the Jeju Island.

The best part for this 32 years old was he going to be the one who was creating the design for the new outdoor lounge/garden. He had done multiple jobs before, but it was a first for him to create and build design for a high-class hotel. Not just any hotel, but the newly renovated Purple Hibiscus. A hotel famous for its serenity and scenery.

So, he was understandably nervous. He has sweated over his drawings and sketchings for the whole week after Minwoo informed him of their new job. He was excited about the job, but he also held a sense of nervourness about returning to Jeju.

Andy hadn’t been to Jeju for six years. And, well, he never thought he’d return after what happened six years ago either. It was beautiful and the people were friendly in this island. He even fell in love for the very first time here. And he thought back then that he would make a life for himself here. Everything was perfect.

But..

He couldn’t stay. He…

Andy physically slapped himself on the cheek before running a hand through his short, brown hair. Now wasn’t the time to think about that.

“Andy, are you nervous?”

Turning to the older man beside him. Minwoo who was accompany him on the interview with the client. Andy gave him a reasurring smile “Yeah, but I’m also excited. I hope he’ll like the designs I created.”

“They’ll love them” Minwoo said readily in a form of reassurance, even giving him a pat on the back as they stepped into the grand foyer of the hotel. Immediately, they are greeted by a man.

“Are you the men from Grandeur Garden Design?” he asked them. And when he received an affirmative, he smiled and offered his hand to greeting. “ I’m Shin Hyesung.”

So that was Shin Hyesung. Minwoo had told him about him after they spoke over the phone about the job.

“Andy Lee” Andy introduced himself as he shook the man’s hand firmly, giving him a bright smile.

“We saw in your resume that you had in lived this area before. We preffered to work with those people who had lived here. We like to keep things authentic, if you understand what I means?”

“No worries.” Andy replied. He had figured out that, so he made sure that most of his designs incorporated the Island’s natural beauty.

“Andy has been working for us for the past five years and had nothing but good reports of his work” Minwoo said as Hyesung led them to a room where they could converse in private.

‘Hyesung seemed cheerful and helpful enough. So working on this project shouldn’t be difficult. It should be fun, actually,’ Andy thought.

But that optimism faded away quickly when Hyesung showed them into an office… and there was someone already there. Waiting for them. The owner.

The sketches and design plans fell from Andy’s hand as he watched at the man before him. He couldn’t believe it. Handsome and tall. He knew this man when he lived here six years ago and he was handsome as ever.

But his gazed was never this piercing before. He looked professional and fierce unlike the carefree but stubborn man he once knew. And loved.

This man was Eric Mun.

“Andy”

“E-Eric?”

Both Minwoo and Hyesung seemed surprise that Andy and Eric knew each other. Hyesung looked intrigued as he turned his attention to Eric, while Minwoo looked concern, nudging Andy on the side to pull him out of his shock.

“Ah yes, This is Eric Mun, the owner of this hotel” Hyesung explained.

While Minwoo was able to give a proper greeting. Andy was unable to find his voice and just stared at Eric.

“It’s been a while” Eric said, but there wasn’t a remote of sense of nostalgia in his voice. It was terse, abrupt, merely making a statement. And it made Andy wince visibly as a lump of emotion appeared in his throat.

“Y-yeah” His voice was shaky, tight with surprise. As well as a sense of fear and guilt.

Eric? Eric was the owner of the Purple Hibiscus?

“Andy” Minwoo said as he nudged him on the side again. “ The plans?”

“O-oh right” Andy stuttered and managed to pull himself together and half-heartedly smiled, bending down to he floor and picked up the scattered papers. “ Sorry, I was just surprised”

Quickly Andy placed the sketches and plans onto the table that had been provided for such a purpose, fanning them out so it was easier to glance over them. He then subconsciously took a step back when Eric stepped forward to the table, pulling out a chair and sit down. Hyesung stood beside Eric, waiting for him to make his decision as he meticulously looked through each draft.

Waiting for a client to make his/her decision always a nerve-wrecking moment for Andy, but right now it was gut-wrecking. Would Eric terminate their work because of him? Would he like any of his design?

And most important out of all, did he.. Did he hate him now?

“This design will do” Eric said suddenly as he picked up the third design Andy created before he leaned back on his seat. Put his elbow on the arm of the chair. And he made no further contact with Andy.

His heart was torn between feeling delighted that Eric choose one of his designs or crushed that Eric was so (understandably) cold towards him. Andy wanted to ask Eric why he was willing to work with him, allow him to become a employee of his. But he held his tongue and let Hyesung and Minwoo do the rest of the negotiating and finalizing.

It was going to be hard working with someone who you left before. But he was a professional now. They both were. They were going to work together, never mind the fact of what Andy had already done to Eric…the fact that Eric was

The man who was the one he fell in love with…

The man who was his ex-fiance…

The man who he left at the altar six years ago!

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First chapter is done!! What do you guys think? Feel free to comment. I would love that.