Hugs and Kisses

You're My XOXO

Kaisoo in Kai's POV.

"No! NO! GET AWAY!" Kyungsoo screamed, breaking free from Jongin's grasp. Tears ran down his face in rivers, his plump heart-shaped lips curled as if he had been hit. And his eyes...

"I don't want to hurt you," Jongin whispered. He didn't dare look up. His arms were still outstretched in a hug, only he was holding nothing but air.

"You've...you've done too much." Kyungsoo turned away and tried not to choke on a sob. "I-I can't see you anymore." His footsteps echoed on the pavement as he started walking in the opposite direction. He threw the last words over his shoulder without bothering to look back. "Goodbye, Jongin. This is the last you'll ever see of me. I hope."

Jongin swallowed and turned away to look out at the window. His Adam's apple bobbed and it hurt to breathe. He wiped irritably at the wetness forming in the corner of his eyes with his hand.

Raindrops slid slowly down the glass of the window outside, leaving trails like tears would on cheeks. Unthinkingly, he raised a finger and gently touched the glass, tracing the small path one drop had made. He watched the window fog up around his hand, trying hard not to think about anything else.

"Um, Kai-ssi?" The waitress touched his shoulder gently, a small smile on her face. Jongin turned around, dipping his head numbly to acknowledge her. She gestured to the coffeepot in her hand. "Would you like some more?"

He just nodded, lowering his head and nudging his coffee mug towards the girl the way a drunk man might do at a bar. His throat was too dry to speak. He didn't have anything to say anyway.

"Kai-ssi..." The girl began, obviously attempting a conversation as she poured his drink. She looked down at him with something like concern in her expression. Or maybe it was pity.

Either way, Jongin hated it. And he hated her calling him Kai. What right did she have to care for him, or call him his nickname?

"I don't want to talk," Jongin muttered bluntly, looking back out the window. His tongue felt swollen and dry with all the coffee he'd drunk. The thought just came to him that maybe he should know the waitress's name—after all, she had been the one that served him every day since he started coming here, chugging down mugs of coffee. She even treated him to an entire pot once. But he didn't know her name and decided not to.

"But. The boy you told me to look out for..."

Jongin immediately turned toward her, suddenly giving her all his attention. Even she seemed surprised by his reaction. "Yes?"

Her lips straightened into a tight line and she shook her head. "He passed a few days ago. I'm sorry, Kai-ssi."

Jongin stood up abruptly, his chair tipping back and landing onto the floor with a thud. His heart sped. "Really? What did he order? And when? At what time? What day? Thursday? But I was here all day Thursday—"

He broke off, noticing the waitress's dismayed expression. His eyes, still urgent, darted everywhere. They flickered down to her name tag. Kim Misoo. So that was her name.

Kim Misoo shook her head again, more rapidly. Her face scrunched up as if she were about to cry. "No, no Kai-ssi. You've misunderstood. He passed away. The Do Kyungsoo you were looking for...he passed away. It was in the obituaries."

Jongin's heart stopped.

"...What?" He heard the raspy sound coming from his mouth, but he didn't ever remember saying it out loud.

Goodbye, Jongin. This is the last you'll ever see of me. I hope.

"I'm really sorry, Kai-ssi. They say it was an overdose on sleeping pills. I—"

"No, no no no, this can't be true, this can't be true..." Jongin began to mutter to himself, unable to hear anything. It couldn't be.

Goodbye, Jongin.

Kyungsoo had just been saying that to scare him. Jongin wasn't actually going to never see him again. That's why he frequented this cafe so much—it was Kyungsoo's favorite coffee shop. Jongin looked to the door, already imagining the short sweet boy with the most beautiful smile strolling in.

He couldn't be dead. No. That was impossible. How could he be dead?

"You're lying," Jongin said hoarsely, staring at his clenched fists. The waitress was lying. Kim Misoo was lying. She had to be. A ing liar.

"No, Kai-ssi, I'm sorry but—"

"YOU'RE LYING!" Jongin screamed, throwing his fallen chair aside. The girl flinched and automatically lifted the notebook she used to take orders with to her face, her eyes wide with fear. All the other customers were staring.

"Don't lie to me. He's not dead." He strode over to the door, yanking it open with much more force than needed.

"Kai-ssi—"

"And don't call me that. Ever." Jongin let his long legs carry him out of the small dim cafe, transitioning into a sprint as he took off down the alley.

Kyungsoo is fine. He's fine. Why does everyone want to lie about this?

He stopped at the nearest newspaper stand inside a dingy souvenir shop, grabbing one off the rack and hurriedly flipping through the pages. The waitress had said the article reported Kyungsoo having died a few days ago. The obituary column of this newspaper ran recent deaths for up to a week.

If whichever idiot that had sent in Kyungsoo's obituary left his name at the bottom, Jongin would hunt him down and rip him apart for such a stupid and bastardly prank.

Because it was a prank. It was.

His fingers trembled as they went down the line of obituaries, suddenly stopping when his brain registered a name.

Do Kyungsoo.

Do Kyungsoo's body was found Tuesday in the kitchen of the Do residence with an empty bottle labeled 'sleeping pills' in his hand. Further research is needed for a complete report on his death, but it is currently assumed that this was a successful attempt at suicide, with the overdose of over-the-counter Ambien. A wonderful, popular and sweet boy since youth, Do Kyungsoo...

Jongin stopped reading. The submission was under the category of PD for Police Department, where they officially entered obituaries of people who didn't have obituaries already.

But Kyungsoo couldn't be dead. He just couldn't.

Jongin looked up numbly, his eyes focusing on a small white flower dangling above his head. It was pretty, with soft wide petals tinged with pink near the center.

And he couldn't help but smile, even as tears started to trickle down his face.

Because it reminded him of Kyungsoo.

 

It was in the middle of January, a cold mid-January night where Jongin and Kyungsoo huddled together on the bridge. Jongin looked out into the darkness over the river. The moon was hidden behind a single cloud. He was crying.

Kyungsoo was by his side, not saying anything. Jongin was grateful for his company.

"It's okay that he didn't show up, right?" Jongin started to babble. "Doesn't that mean he doesn't want to see me anymore? But that's okay, right? I'll find someone else, right Kyungie? I'll find someone better than him. I can't believe he stood me up, but that's because he's a douchebag. I'll find someone better, I'll—"

"Kai-ah." Kyungsoo interrupted, turning to him with his large owlish eyes reflecting the dim streetlight and heart-shaped lips curved in a soft smile. His hands, so small yet so strong, reached up to wipe away the rivers flowing down Jongin's cheeks. "Stop."

Jongin nodded rapidly, pulling away to scrub at his face. "Right. Right. You're right, Kyungie. I'll stop. I'll be a better person. I'm usually the one that breaks hearts, not the heartbroken, I'll find a way to become my old self, I'll—"

"No, stop talking." Kyungsoo gently pulled Jongin lower so they were now the same height, face-to-face. He had an earnest soft look in his eyes. Rummaging through his pocket, the shorter pulled out something small and white and held it out for the two to examine.

"This is a white hibiscus flower. It's not mistletoe by any means, and Christmas passed a long time ago." Kyungsoo paused, glancing down almost in embarrassment. If it hadn't been so dark, Jongin might have noticed that his friend's cheeks were flushed.

"But it doesn't have to be Christmastime for mistletoe to have its effect, and this flower doesn't have to be mistletoe for me to still hang it over us." He smiled again and dangled it above the two of them.

And then he leaned in and gently brushed his lips against Jongin's.

Jongin froze. His entire body was shaking, his lips trembling slightly. Kyungsoo pulled back just enough to kiss the tears on his cheeks, smiling his heartwarming smile between each kiss.

Then Kyungsoo grabbed him and pulled him into a tight hug, his small frame leaning into Jongin and sharing their warmth. "I won't let anyone ever stand you up again," he said, muffled in Jongin's clothes. "If you need comfort, I'll always be here. If you need someone to talk to, I'm always here for you. Don't ever worry about anyone hurting you again, because I'll make sure they won't."

Kyungsoo tiptoed to whisper into Jongin's ear. "And don't believe that you have to change for people to love you. You just have to look at things in a different perspective. I viewed that flower to be like mistletoe. So just look at the people who already do love you. Just look at me.

"For now, I'll give you one hug, and one kiss. In the future, if you need me I'll give you infinite hugs and infinite kisses."

 

When Jongin pulled himself out of the haunting memories, he found himself leaning against the shop wall with newspapers crumpled in his hand, the newspaper stand knocked over, tears flooding his cheeks, and the flower ripped off the shop's doorway and crushed on the ground.

Not to mention a very angry shopkeeper charging towards him and yelling at him to pay for the damage and the "lucky" flower that he ruined.

"A very wonderful sweet gentleman gave that flower to me, and it's given me much luck with the shop ever since!" The old lady was shrieking. "You filthy boy, where are your manners!"

Jongin froze, panting hard. A wonderful sweet gentleman. He stared at the wilting flower on the ground again. A white hibiscus with a pink center.

This was too much.

Jongin threw the newspapers he was holding to the ground and leapt over the fallen items, sprinting down a dingy little alleyway as fast as his legs could take him. He didn't know where he was going, and the shopkeeper's voice was still echoing after him. But he didn't care. Not anymore.

He had to see Kyungsoo.

He emerged from the alleyway and ran down a busy sidewalk without breaking a sweat, passersby staring irritably back at him when he bumped into them. Nothing mattered now. Kyungsoo had promised him infinite hugs and kisses.

The tears in Jongin's eyes were blurring his vision. He wiped them away hurriedly, but they kept on coming. Why was he crying? It was impossible that Kyungsoo was dead. It was a mistake. He was going to Kyungsoo right now, to be comforted by the smaller boy's warmth. He would go to the police department and tell them after. He would—

Jongin had sprinted straight into the middle of one of the busiest intersections of the city. He stopped in his tracks, his heart suddenly jumping into overdrive as the people on the sidewalk turned to watch him in alarm and horror. Some of them were pointing frantically and yelling at him to move out of the way. Others covered their eyes, as if they already predicted his fate.

He turned to see the bus, a double-decker tour bus with an equally terrified driver inside trying his hardest to slam on the brakes. Apparently the emergency brake wasn't working, and the bus itself was slow to react.

The headlights were blinding.

But Jongin suddenly felt a strange calm. Because Kyungsoo was walking towards him in the light, and he was reaching his hands out and smiling. He was glowing with a healthy light of his own, and he laughed. I love you. I forgive you.

Kyungsoo was there.

Everything was fine.

Jongin smiled through his tears and reached his arms out too. Kyungsoo forgave him.

I'm sorry. I love you too, Kyungie. One hug and one kiss, that was all I needed.

That's all I need now. Hugs and kisses.


 

A/N: Yay I've finally updated! So sorry for going on hiatus for like, a month and a half. Writer's block is death =_= but I hope you enjoyed!

And I don't know why all my oneshots have been so angsty. Listening to ballads and watching sad videos where someone always dies and reading angsty fics from amazing authors is just... WHY  //(TT_TT)//