Memories

Rain Dance

Can't be... Nam Soon? Min Ki was confused and slightly shocked, to say the least. He was still haunted by the memories of that night, seven years ago, when his best friend since before kindergarten was killed by a misplaced iron pipe. Just as he was about to rush out of the restaurant to stop the two men, he was called by a customer who wanted more pork stew. When he finally flung the door open and stepped out on the street, Heung Soo and the guy that looked like Nam Soon had turned a corner and disappeared. Running his fingers through his hair in frustration, he kicked a pebble before returning to his customers, cursing his luck, and the fact that he didn't have a clue as to where Heung Soo lived or worked now. He had been in the same football team as Heung Soo in high school, but they hadn't been extremely close, and when Heung Soo was scouted by the city's pro team in their senior year and started training with them instead, they had no more reason to interact, since they were in different classes.


Early next morning, on his day off, Min Ki found himself going up to the graveyard to visit Nam Soon's grave. He hadn't been able to sleep all night, only thinking about Nam Soon, and a small part of him wished that it had all been a dream and that his friend was living happily somewhere.

Min Ki kneeled before the gravestone to brush away some early snow. He let out a sigh and looked up at the photograph in the yellow frame, showing a smiling Nam Soon, mischievous yet kind, as he always was. - Winter is finally here, huh? Min Ki said, thinking about how quickly the years had gone by since the death of his friend. - Sorry I haven't been here in a while, but you know how it is with work and stuff, Min Ki spoke again, to break the depressing silence. Part of him felt silly talking to a picture, and part of him hoped for an answer. - Has your dad been here? Of course not... Don't be too hard on him... After you died, he started drinking even more, and nowadays I wouldn't be surprised if he's drowned even the memory of his own name. I guess losing both you and your mom became too much for him... Min Ki sighed. Nam Soon's dad had never been Parent-of-the-Year material, but at least he loved his son. Min Ki sat silent for a moment, before he started speaking again.

- I saw someone yesterday. He was walking with Heung Soo. You know, the guy from the football team I used to tell you about? That guy looked just like you. Well, the way you would have looked today, anyway... He looked about the same age as well... You didn't come back somehow, did you? Who am I kidding... It can't have been you... You would have come to me first, you punk! Min Ki added, forcing a smile. He had promised himself to always smile at least once whenever he visited the grave, to let Nam Soon know that he was doing okay, or at least to fool himself that he was.

feather.jpg

In another part of the city, in the kitchen of a certain apartment, a certain angel's ears began itching for no apparent reason. - Someone must be thinking about you, Heung Soo joked, secretly hoping that it wasn't Jung Ho and his idiot friends.

feather.jpg

A week passed since Min Ki visited the grave, and he hadn't seen either of his old friends again. His heart heavy from re-woken memories, he walked with tired steps through the city. On a small, cozy back-street, Min Ki passed a café, and in the corner of his eye he saw the person behind the counter. Heung Soo... Determined to set things straight, he entered the café and walked up to the counter, clearing his throat to announce his presence to the person who had his back to him.

- Welcome, how may I he- Min Ki? Is that you?

- Yeah... Long time no see, Min Ki smiled awkwardly, not really knowing how to bring up his theory about his dead friend and the man he thought was Heung Soo's boyfriend.

- How have you been? Heung Soo asked, walking out from behind the counter to sit down with Min Ki at one of the tables for a catch-up chat.

- Good, good... I work at a restaurant now.

Silence soon fell over them, since they really didn't have anything more in common than football, and having heard about Heung Soo's knee, Min Ki suspected it might be a sensitive subject. When the silence became unbearable, Min Ki decided to stop being such a wuss and say what he wanted.

- So, uhh, this is going to sound really weird, but please hear me out, okay?

- Sure.

- Okay... So about a week ago, I was working the evening shift at the restaurant, and I saw you walk past. You were with a guy who was carrying a panda plushie, remember?

- Who, Nam Soon? Yeah, I remember. Why? he added as he saw the expression on Min Ki's face, almost as ashen as that of Jung Ho and his friends when they had met the angel.

- His name is Nam Soon?

When Heung Soo nodded, Min Ki let out a breath he wasn't even aware he'd been holding.

- What is this about? You're starting to worry me.

- Do you remember me talking about my childhood friend? The one Jung Ho killed in middle school?

- Yeah? Heung Soo wasn't sure he liked where this conversation was going.

- His name was Go Nam Soon, remember? The thing is, your Nam Soon seemed to look just like "my" Nam Soon. The reason I'm bringing this up — this is gonna sound crazy, I know — is because part of me wonders if "my" Nam Soon may have lived after all, or maybe come back. I'm sorry for asking this, I know it's weird, but did "your" Nam Soon ever mention me? Or an accident?

Heung Soo hesitated for a while before answering. He was feeling very possessive all of a sudden, not sure if he was comfortable with how many people knew Nam Soon from when he was human.

- He mentioned that he may have been in an accident, but he doesn't remember anything about it, or anything before it, Heung Soo said, trying not to answer too quickly. Even though he wasn't lying, he still felt a little guilty, for reasons he didn't understand.

- Oh. Min Ki was unable to hide the disappointment in his voice, and Heung Soo pretended he didn't hear it.

- Can I say something? Heung Soo asked after a moment's silence.

- Sure...

- I know this is going to sound harsh, but... don't you think it's time to move on? It's been seven years.

- Yeah, well... Try telling that to my heart, Min Ki answered with a bitter-sweet smile.

feather.jpg

When he came home that evening, Heung Soo had an inexplicable desire to hug Nam Soon tighter than usual. Maybe it was jealousy, maybe it was because he was reminded that the angel had in fact died and now he wanted to provide whatever comfort and consolation he could, or maybe he just wanted to cuddle, he couldn't tell. But he did know that he needed that hug more that anything, and he was grateful when Nam Soon didn't ask him about it, and just silently hugged him back.


A/N

Hello again, my lovelies

March was a really busy month, but now I'm back for business again

Now that this chap is out of my system, I'll try to get the requests out, before I continue on the other stories

About the chap:

This is pretty much Min Ki centred, it felt necessary to have his memories in here too

And is that the green monster of jealousy I see in Heung Soo?

He'd better keep an eye on that...

Until next time: *3*

Please comment and upvote and tell me what you think