Four

Dream Of Me

"Where's Jongin?" a tear-strained Kyungsoo rushed into the hospital after the program with all of their friends.

 

"He's still in the emergency room." Luhan answered, voice shaking.

 

"What happened?" Kyungsoo was soaking in tears and sweat.

 

"He collapsed after the performance, he can't breathe properly and says his chest hurts so much." Lay stated wiping his tears away.

 

"Is there something wrong with Jongin??" Chanyeol asked worriedly.

 

"I-I-I don't know." Luhan refused to look. “We still don’t have news about it.” Lay answered. Kyungsoo sat and bowed his head and cried silently. "Jongin, what are you doing??" he whispered.

 

Everyone was silent waiting for the news of Jongin's condition. Kyungsoo's heart kept on pounding quickly and nervously, unsure if he's ready to know the condition of his Jongin. And a crack on the door from the emergency room was heard and all of them stood up and gathered around the doctor.

 

"Uhm. May I know if any of you is his relative?" the doctor asked. And Junmyeon quickly raised his hand. "H-He's my cousin.."

 

"Would you mind if I talk to you first before everyone else?" Junmyeon looked at everyone and nodded, "Yes please."

 

The doctor and Junmyeon were about to walk away from others when Junmyeon called out Chanyeol and Kyungsoo.

 

Talking to the doctor, Kyungsoo fell on his knees and cried his hardest. The doctor talked about body, weak, cholesterol, shock, stress, food, and so much more but the only thing Kyungsoo was able to understand is. "He has rheumatic heart disease and the hole in his heart got bigger and his condition was--"

 

"What?!" Kyungsoo shouted, he didn't want to believe what the doctor said.

 

"It's a hereditary disease.. Does your clan have this kind of disease??" The doctor asked Junmyeon. Junmyeon ruffled his hair like crazy. "I-I-I don't know, I‘m sorry."

 

"I think he inherited what your folks had."

 

"What'll happen? To him?? What is happening??" Chanyeol asked, tears running from his eyes.

 

"He's fragile. , sorry to say,, we have a little hope for this kid to be alive at least half a year."

 

And the three of them was so shocked… "Why only now?!!! Why didn't you tell him?!!" Junmyeon said in gritted teeth, grabbing the doctor by his collar.

 

"N-No!! he got a medical check-up last month and I've warned him to eat the right kid of food, have a proper diet, not to stress himself, not to tire himself, and especially not to be depressed, because it will only worsen his condition." The doctor defended.

 

Kyungsoo stood there, letting the doctor's words sink in him and remembering the things that happened this month.. "I-I-It's my fault.." and tears fell endlessly from his eyes.

 

= = = = =

 

Jongin woke up and found himself in the hospital. He tried to sit up but he failed, his heart still hurt and he can't move his body that much.

 

"J-J-Jongin.." a voice called which made him cry and his voice to tremble.

 

Kyungsoo hugged him tightly. "H-H-Hyung.."

 

"Why Jongin, why?!" Kyungsoo asked choking at his words.

 

"So now, you know.." Jongin said coldly.

 

"J-Just yesterday.."

 

"So go…" Jongin patted Kyungsoo's back.

 

"I love you Jongin." Kyungsoo said, tears falling down his face, not wanting to let go of Jongin. "So I won't leave you alone.. I'll dream with you…" Kyungsoo assured.

 

"Go live your life hyung.. Let me go now.." Jongin smiled painfully.

 

"I won't... I'll stay. I won't leave you.." Kyungsoo choked at his words.

 

"No hyung, because one day you'll leave me too because I left you first."

 

"No, I know you'll never leave me.. You'll see me in your dreams.. You'll see in your dreams, right? Right??" Kyungsoo insisted.

 

"No hyung.." Jongin's tears started to fall as he shook his head again and again.

 

"Yes Jongin, you'll see me in your dreams.. You'll se-"

 

"I said no!!!" Jongin shouted that his heart stung.. "No,, because I can't dream in death. I will die.. No one can dream in death hyung.."

 

Kyungsoo cried in silent, but not turning away. "Let me go hyung.. I'm making this easy for you now.." Jongin said in between sobs. But Kyungsoo insisted, "No, I want you."

 

"No, you have to let me go. Because I need and.." Jongin paused and tears dropped from his eyes continuously.. "I want to go.." Jongin almost whispered.

 

"Y-Y-You want to go??"

 

"Y-yes hyung." Jongin lied. “I want to go so please, hyung,,, let me go…”

 

"Then,, see you in my dreams.." Kyungsoo smiled painfully.

 

"Goodnight hyung.." Jongin managed to say, without looking at his broken hyung.

 

"It will never be a goodnight, without you by my side." Kyungsoo said as he left the hospital with his heart breaking apart.

 

Jongin cursed himself for hurting Kyungsoo again but there's nothing he can do.. he have to let his hyung go,, so he would be happy. Maybe not now, not this time, but maybe in the future. He just hoped, in the future, his hyung will be able to love again.

 

= = = = =

 

One week passed.

Kyungsoos's not visiting Jongin anymore, but Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Luhan, Sehun, and Jongdae visit him every two days and Junmyeon visit him everyday to take care of him.

 

Jongin found himself in regret of what he said as well as satisfied with it.

 

"Hey Jongin.. Oh,, no one's here?" Junmyeon arrived.

 

"I am here." Jongin shouted from the bathroom. Junmyeon then put the fruits and flowers he bought for Jongin on the table.

 

"How's the medication going? How's your heart?" Junmyeon asked.

 

"It's still broken." Jongin joked but Junmyeon just smiled weakly. He knew the real emotion behind that smile and Junmyeon can't help but sigh.

 

"Mmm.. Does he vi---"

 

"No, not yet, or he will never again.." Jongin smiled and Junmyeon broke.

 

"Jongin why? Why did you let him go?" Junmyeon then sat beside Jongin's bed.

 

"So that he could move on. It would be easier for him."

 

"But you two still have time to be together, you'll just have to make the most of it. Create memories…"

 

"Why would we?? He'll just be broken if he remembers those after I leave."

 

"But you two are happy, and Jongin, we are here.. We are here for him. You're here for him. He knew that." Junmyeon pointed out. Jongin lowered his head. And then Junmyeon patted him on his shoulder, “Don’t let this chance pass, this maybe the last time Jongin. Don’t dream of him again.”

 

Jongin closed his eyes… his heart was beating so fast, his brain was bringing the memories they had together back, and he was seeing the heart-shaped smile of his hyung.

 

He then looked at his cousin and looked up to see the world, again. “I will forever dream of him Junmyeon hyung. But could you please teach me something and bring Luhan here?”

 

 

Another week passed and Jongin was starting to break down, his heart betraying him. He felt lonely when he's all alone. He also felt lonely when someone visits him, because it's not his hyung, it's not his dream.

 

"Kyungsoo hyung.." he mumbled, together with tears streaming down his face. "Dream of me." He always says before going to sleep.

 

Two days have passed and he smiled. He smiled after he finished it. He'll surely thank Junmyeon and Luhan for these.

 

= = = = =

 

It's late in the evening and he knew that no one's going to visit him anymore so he lied on the bed and closed his eyes, remembering the memories of Kyungsoo and him together and tears started falling down on his face.. "Kyungsoo hyung.." he mumbled…

 

And it broke Jongin as flashes of scenes of Kyungsoo with another man flashed at the back of his mind. "Be happy.."

 

The door opened and Jongin pulled a pillow up to cover his tear-strained face. He's embarrassed if other people see him crying and this was the sign for him to go to sleep, it was just a nurse…

 

But suddenly, someone hugged him tightly that he couldn't breathe properly..

 

"Goodnight Jongin, dream of me." The man said and tears welled up in his eyes again as he hugged the man of his dreams.

 

"Hyung!" he squeezed Kyungsoo.

 

"Jongin.." Kyungsoo choked.. "I'm sorry for letting you go.." Jongin shoved the pillow between them to hug his hyung properly. "No hyung.. I'm sorry, I let you go.."

 

Kyungsoo gave him a deep and longing kiss. They dreamt that the time would stop for the both of them forever so they could be together.

 

The two made up for the time they wasted for not being in each other's arms. They kissed, they hugged, they laughed, they cried together. "I am sleepy hyung." Jongin said.

 

"Hmm." Kyungsoo smiled and lied on the bed too. Jongin chuckled and snuggled to his hyung's side. Kyungsoo then placed a kiss on Jongin's lips and hugged the younger one tightly.

 

They slept and dreamt together.

 

= = = = =

 

"Don't lie to me anymore Jongin." Kyungsoo lightly pinched Jongin's arm.

 

"But I didn't lie to you hyung. I told you nothing about my condition so I didn't lie. Lying is different from not saying anything. And I'll never lie to you anymore."

 

Kyungsoo pouted in defeat but.. "How about the time when I asked you if you still love me? You-"

 

"Uh uh, I didn't answer that time hyung. I just bowed my head." Jongin chuckled.

 

When Kyungsoo realized it, he truly hit Jongin's arm. "You're so bad!! For tricking me!! And don't you now how much it hurt me??"K yungsoo pouted.

 

"That's why I am sorry… again, I wasted my time being with you. First, the long time I waited for nothing and dreamt of you in my dreams. Second, when I broke your heart and I'm sorry for that. and when I pushed you away learning my condition. But now, I'll savor each day, every hour, every minute and every remaining seconds of my life with you.. And sorry for being a fool."

 

"You're not a fool because you've realized first what I just realized when I saw and hang out with you.. I love you.. and I think I have to go to the bathroom because I need to pee. Excuse me." They both chuckled as Kyungsoo went to bathroom. But Kyungsoo lied.

 

He just cried.

 

= = =

 

"Oh my god Kyungsoo!!!!" Baekhyun shouted and hugged Kyungsoo when he saw Kyungsoo smiling and talking with Jongin.

 

"Baek.. Haha." Kyungsoo didn't know what to say.

 

"Yah Baek, why are you hugging him tightly? As if you're not meeting in school??" Jongin was jealous.

 

"Well, because he's here!! In the hospital!! With you!! I'm so happy for you guys!!!" Baekhyun happily stated.

 

"Ugh,, can I go to the other room??" Jongdae interrupted. And the others went silent and focused their attention to Jongdae who was blushing deeply.

 

"Why??" Chanyeol asked curiously.

 

"Well, I'll just visit someone." Jongdae said.

 

"Who? Why didn't you tell us?? You have a relative here?" Luhan asked. "Let's go! I'll go visit my mother too." Luhan then clung into Jongdae's arms. And Sehun gave Jongdae a look, but Jongdae ignored it.

 

"Kim Minseok.. he's not my relative but I saw him there weeks ago. And i visit him too whenever I visit you."

 

Everyone in the room smiled and let Jongdae go in his way to this Kim Minseok’s room. Luhan and Sehun went to Luhan’s mother 3 floors down. Chanyeol and Baekhyun were out buying foods for the people in the room.

 

They were happily conversing with each other when the doctor excused Kyungsoo and Junmyeon.

 

= = =

 

"The only option is a heart transplant. We have a patient who's willing to donate his heart." The doctor suggested.

 

"R-Really? W-who??" Their hopes rose up after what the doctor said.

 

"Kim Minseok. And his family also agreed with it but the only problem is Jongin. If he'll take the operation." The doctor explained and somehow, they were relieved, seeing a light that was once covered by the clouds.

 

"W-what will happen after the operation?" Kyungsoo asked nervously.

 

"I can't assure you anything. Jongin's condition is severe so he may or may not survive the operation. We have 50% chance that he'll live after this. And if it became successful, I assure you, you all will be happy." The doctor explained.

 

 

"What if the operation failed??" Junmyeon then asked.

 

"His life will be in danger or worse, he'll die.." Kyungsoo then sat on the chair, ruffling his hair in agony. "Why? Why of all people.. why Jongin??"

 

= = =

 

Kyungsoo told Jongin about the heart transplant. Now knowing his reality's answer, he didn't know if he'll be relieved or worried for Jongin not taking the operation.

 

"Why don't you take the surgery?" Kyungsoo asked.

 

"I don't want." Jongin answered childishly.

 

"But you'll live if you'll take this." Kyungsoo insisted.

 

"Yes I'll live.. but it will never be the same." Jongin looked at his dream.

 

"Why? Why?" Kyungsoo then sat beside Jongin's bed and held Jongin's hands.

 

"Because that's not my heart, that's Kim Minseok’s heart. If I'll take it, what if I can't remember you by heart? I don't want that to happen, and I'll love Jongdae, how about you? I don't want that to happen. I don't want you to be hurt. I want you. You're the only one I will love." Kyungsoo then gave Jongin a kiss.

 

"It's okay. It's okay to be hurt. As long as you're alive. As long as I see you. I'll be happy."

 

"I won't be happy because you're not and I-" Jongin hesitated to tell Kyungsoo that he has heard what the doctor told them,.. "What if the operation failed, then I'll leave you suddenly. I don't want that. But if I did not, we could spend more time together surely. Even if it would be shorter and shorter time after time." Kyungsoo smiled at Jongin lovingly.

 

"And I don't want to shorten Kim Minseok's life. He could still be happy with Jongdae. Spend his remaining hours with his loved ones. And we're not sure if I'll live if the operation failed, I don't want to die early not spending my time with you." Jongin smiled at Kyungsoo lovingly.

 

Kyungsoo again pecked him.

 

 

 

The doctor came the next day to know Jongin's decision, and the others were also there.

 

"I will take the risk…" Jongin said..

 

Kyungsoo was surprised,, I-I thought he won't take the operation. Kyungsoo then looked at Jongdae who's tears fell down his cheeks when he heard Jongin's decision. He maybe cursing Jongin now.

 

"So we can---"

 

"Even if a day would pass with my heart dying slowly and slowly. I won't surprise my heart. I'm not sure if I'll live or die so I won't take the operation, so I'll take the risk of living with Kyungsoo hyung, shortly but surely. And I don't want Jongdae's lovelife interrupted by my stupid heart." Jongin explained and smiled at Jongdae and ---

 

"Kyungsoo excused himself to go to the bathroom.."

 

= = = = =

 

Days passed by, they acted normal like they used to. They go to school and afterwards, go to Jongin's if not busy.

 

But they could see the weakening of Jongin. Jongin lost much weight and he tried his hardest to move to assure his family that he's fine.

 

"Jongin, are you awake?" Kyungsoo opened the door of Jongin's room gently.

 

"Yes hyung why?"

 

"Ah glad you're awake. I thought you're sleeping." Kyungsoo then put his things on the table. "Would you mind if I open the window?"

 

"It's cold hyung, especially, it's late in the evening." Jongin pouted at the craziness of his hyung.

 

"Hmm. let me get you a jacket." Kyungsoo then put the jacket on Jongin and opened the window. The cold wind gave him shivers in his spine.

 

"I told you hyung. Come here.” Kyungsoo then snuggled to Jongin's side. "What's your problem hyung?" Jongin chuckled. "That you want to open the windows, we're on the fourth floor and the cold wind is ki-"

 

Kyungsoo shut his lover's mouth by pressing his lips into the younger's. "Just watch." And Kyungsoo grinned.

 

Both of their eyes sparkled when a bunch of shooting stars started to fall. Jongin wanted to cry because of the overwhelming feelings his heart gave him. "It's really beautiful hyung." He then wiped the tears out of his face and closed his eyes.

 

Kyungsoo shifted his gaze to Jongin, whom he thought was sleeping. "You sleepy head. I was just wishing to be with you for a longer time and you left me to sleep." Kyungsoo chuckled and arranged Jongin's position to make him comfortable. “Goodnight, dream of me Jongin.”

 

He then decided to sleep holding the hands of Jongin and ready to dream of his reality again.

 

= = = = =

 

"See you in my dreams hyung." Kyungsoo lightly pressed his lips Jongin's, dreaming that the time would stop so Jongin won't leave him anymore.

 

"Goodnight. I love you." seeing Jongin's smile, "Wait, I'll just go to the bathroom.." and Kyungsoo ran to go to the bathroom.

 

Jongin could do nothing but to sigh and stop himself from crying because it would only worsen his condition and he didn't want to die early and leave his hyung. But knowing the truth behind these excuses, and because he loves Kyungsoo, so the tears came out.

 

= = = = =

 

Kyungsoo was crying. "Hyung don't cry.." Jongin embraced his hyung and patted his back.

 

"I won't cry if you don't go." Kyungsoo placed his ear on Jongin's chest and he could hear the younger one's heart.

 

Jongin chuckled, "Don't worry, it's still beating.. because of you and for you." Kyungsoo buried his face on Jongin's chest and sobbed once again.

 

"I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you…" Kyungsoo and Jongin repeated these three words endlessly, thinking that this maybe the last time…

 

= = = = =

 

Weeks passed. And Jongin managed to live a month and a half. But you could see that Jongin was getting worse each day. He can't move that much anymore and his heart is slowly dying.

 

He never wanted to close his eyes again, not wanting that he won't be able to see his hyung and family again. He breathed heavily, but thankful that his heart was still beating for the man of his dreams, who just arrived and a little soaked in the rain.

 

"Is it raining hyung?" he managed to ask.

 

"Ah yes, that's why I'm a little drenched." Kyungsoo smiled sheepishly at Jongin and Jongin smiled with teary eyes.

 

"L-L-Let's enjoy the rain??" Jongin managed to say.

 

Kyungsoo walked towards Jongin and smiled, his heart feeling heavy yet he didn't know why. "Together." Kyungsoo happily continued and smiled.

 

But that smile was changed into painful tears which welled up and fell from his eyes instantly when Jongin said these words, "For the last time…"

 

"Don't say that." Kyungsoo's voice trembled and his body was shaking. He held Jongin's hands.

 

Jongin smiled because he knew that Kyungsoo would give him his signature heart-shaped smile which captured his living.. and dreaming heart.. And Kyungsoo didn't disappoint him, he gave his heart-shaped smile to Jongin, and Jongin was so thankful that he saw the signature heart-shaped smile of his hyung… for the last time.

 

"I-I…I-I'll see you.. i-in my… d-d-dreams, hyung…" and Jongin slowly fell back asleep. His hand has dropped back on the bed.

 

"N-No.. Wake up sleepyhead…." Kyungsoo said as he leaned and caressed Jongin's cheeks. But Jongin didn't respond.

 

"Please wake up.. don't sleep Jongin please!!!!" Kyungsoo yelled at Jongin and started hitting him in his chest.

 

Then the doctors and nurses rushed into the room and pulled Kyungsoo to the side. Kyungsoo just watched the doctors struggled to keep Jongin awake.

 

He loves Jongin… "S-stop.."

 

He loves Jongin… "I need to go hyung…"

 

He loves Jongin… "S-STOP!!" he shouted and the doctors and nurses were surprised.

 

Kyungsoo walked near Jongin's bed and hugged his reality… "Goodnight Jongin. Dream of me… See you in my dreams.." and gave his lover a goodnight kiss with his tears.