Fated Ties

The K-Pop of Ages

Chapter 8 – Fated Ties

 

Baekhyun

 

   ‘We’re finally done’ I flopped down onto the bar stool across from Tao. He was busy finishing up cleaning the surface of the black sleek bar trims.

   ‘Not yet’ he pulled out two small glasses from underneath the bar surface and filled them both with vodka. ‘Do you want coke with that or do you…’ he mimicked knocking it back, ‘drink it dry?’

   ‘Coke, a lot please; but why? We just finished cleaning, that’s nothing to be excited about.’ I shrugged, but looked around the room anyway. I guess it is kind of an achievement though, this place is huge!

   ‘This…’ he placed my glass of vodka and coke in front of me, ‘is because I believe fate has brought you here, to me.’

   ‘Ugh, don’t you boys get all lovey-dovey on me in here, save it for the bedroom!’ Minseok sighed loudly over my shoulder. ‘And Tao, that’s coming right out of your pay check.’ Tao had just placed another glass of vodka on the table for him, straight without anything tracing it. ‘And this one.’ Minseok took it and downed it all in one go. ‘Don’t forget to lock up okay,’ he patted Tao lightly on the face, ‘and no funny business’ he warned again and left the building.

   ‘Anyway, before he rudely interrupted us…’ Tao started, calling his boss rude names that I wouldn’t even dare to repeat…instead, I watched after Minseok.

Tao and Minseok seem to have a complicated work relationship, yet they seem like they’d totally be really good friends away from work. Minseok doesn’t look like the kind of guy that would shout; drink straight up liquor and all that…

   ‘Baek! Are you even listening to me?

   ‘What?’

   ‘We were fated to find each other; doesn’t that mean anything to you?’

   ‘Tao, I think you’re being a little too dramatic…’ I turned my attention back to him.

   ‘Yeah but come on, how come no one else was around to help you, and how come it was you who was in trouble with those y guys?’

   ‘It could have happened to anyone,’ I brushed it off.

   ‘Only the pretty ones…’ he took a sip of his drink… ‘And you’re one of the pretty ones.’

   ‘Can we please not start with that again?’ I tried to hit him over the counter but he dodged it.

   ‘I can’t help it, you’re just sooooo pretty’ he teased. That’s it! I lurched forward, ready to throw myself over the bar but his cat-like skills helped him slide away with ease. Time flew by with me running after him, trying to throw punches whenever I could.

   ‘You might as well give up now; I’m so much more skilled than you.’ He flew over the bar breathlessly, leaving me to lag behind him.

   ‘No way Cat Boy!’

   ‘Ooh burn,’ he cat walked slowly away in a teasing matter.

This is my chance; he’s not getting away from me now. I stalked up to him and before he could even second guess what I was doing I jumped onto his back. He almost fell forward but regained his balance within a heartbeat.

    ‘Oh! You wanna play? Kitty can scratch!’

 

 

 

Tao

   ‘You’re pretty good.’ I turned to Baekhyun.

We finally settled down, poured another drink and sat down in the middle of the stage.

   ‘I told you, I’m a Hapkido master.’ A smug voice came from below. Baekhyun had been lying down on the floor; guess I tired him out. ‘Of course I’m good.’ He kicked himself off the floor, rolling backwards but ending in a failed flop. The results ended in me rolling onto my back along-side him, laughing till my stomach was in stiches.

   ‘Shut it, I’m amazing’ he sat up, flipping his too long fringe (“bangs” if you’re American) in a fashionable manner.

   ‘Of course you are.’ He settled down again and we lay down in silence on the cold wood of the stage. I shifted my attention away from the cool feeling and instead looked at Baekhyun’s side profile. He’s been acting strangely since he got here; I wonder why. Even now he’s just staring up at the ceiling, looking lost.

   ‘This place is impressive looking; even the ceiling is so detailed, right down to the last star.’ He randomly pointed up towards a tiny star in the left wing.’

   ‘It’s the closest thing we get to stars; in the city the stars hide, but the ones that shine the brightest are the ones that try to be seen…’ I paused, feeling tired eyes on me; but he didn’t say anything. ‘Don’t you think so?’ I asked him, but I didn’t get a reply out of him. ‘Baek?’ Still nothing, just starry eyed Baekhyunnie staring straight at me. ‘Baekhyunnie’ I cooed at him, inching closer to him. Bad choice.

   ‘Tao Tao’ he lurched towards me and clung on to my side.

   ‘Uh…’ I started, but he hung on to me harder, ‘Baek…’ I tried to free up some breathing space. ‘Why the sudden affection?’ I questioned once I could properly breathe.

   ‘I just wanted to thank you.’ He nuzzled into chest, like a happy puppy would (I had to make a puppy reference, he just looks too cute like this)

   ‘For what?’

   ‘So much’ his face was pretty much hidden, I guess from embarrassment. Cute. I figured that was the most I was going to get so I just enjoyed the warmth of the embrace and let him take his time.

After a few more drinks (Minseokkie doesn’t have to know) I decided it was a good idea to stop drinking, besides, I think we may have finished the bottle…oops. Baekhyun was still clinging onto my side, as if he thought I’d just leave him there to fend for himself. He really was cute. Groggily, I stared at my watch to see what time it was; 2:38! You’ve got to be kidding me. ‘Baekkie?’ I nudged him a little but all I got was a little sigh. ‘Baekkie…I don’t know how we’re going to get home’ I frowned. Still no reply. He was leaning against my now numb arm, light puffs of sound leaving his mouth every so often…right against my sensitive ear. I craned my neck to look at him; it wasn’t difficult to tell that he had fallen asleep. His breathing was laboured and his eyes lightly closed as if he didn’t have a care in the world… his lips slightly parted and moist……oh my god where the hell is my mind running to! My body jolted forward, with Baekhyun almost falling right off me.

     ‘Baek…’ My voice was quiet, knowing he wasn’t going to wake. If my body jolting didn’t wake him it’s obvious my voice wouldn’t either. Alright, looks like I’m going to have to carry you princess style. Gently I laid him back a little so that I could compose myself. The two glasses were still there, empty, but I had bigger priorities; getting Baekhyun to a bed or somewhere more comfortable. I really wish I had a car. Do buses still run around this hour; I’m sure they do, but what if they don’t. I’ll have to carry him all the way home. I’m strong but my coordination at the moment isn’t. How much did I even drink, how much did we drink? I looked around as much as I could: on my side there was an empty bottle of vodka and my glass and on Baekhyun’s side was his glass along with an almost empty bottle of coke. How are you such a light weight? You literally drowned your vodka in coke…wait, that doesn’t sound right…I gave up on my thoughts, my brain too boggled by the liquid poison and instead I thought of what to do. What’s the best way to go without me dropping Baekkie or me falling over myself? The front? No, that involved a tricky doorknob and locks and allsorts…The back door? Nah, I’ll probably end up tumbling down the steps before we’re even out of the building. I got up and looked for the best route of escape; wait! That’s it! Just like that a light bulb lit up inside my head. The fire escape by the dressing rooms; easy access, and no problem locking behind me. Win-win. Right then; I stretched my arms and torso up to the stars and let them swing down loosely before I picked sleeping beauty up princess style. Right Tao Tao, stay level with the walls and the ground. I walked out of the main hall, attempting to turn the light off with arm and elbow before giving up. Everywhere else was dark until I stepped into the hallway leading to the dressing rooms. The automatic lights flashed on, fluorescent yellow burning my eyes due to the flickering. The corridor seemed never ending, as if I was reaching for something out of reach; but the end came. The star on the door with a black name printed on it signalled that. Kris. I have bigger problems, bigger than your head right now, I thought to myself as I passed it. I have a puppy to take care of. I met the door and the green man running above the door. For a second it looked like it was moving but I shook my head of that image. With my back now against the wall I tried to use my backside to push open the bar. I succeeded and slowly, making sure not to have any part of Baekhyun’s body hit the door frame, I made it out of the building. Success!

      ‘Well this feels like de-ja vu’ I said aloud; not that anybody would hear me. It was just me and Baekhyun standing in the alleyway next to the building I work in. It was dark, even the usual colour of the red brick wall of the next building was darkened, dreary and muted. The light from street lamps barely found its way to the dark corner which meant the only source of light came from the moody clouded sky. Squinting my eyes from the lack of light, I could see boxed and black bags on the pathway along with some scattered beer cans and bottles. I wonder how much money Minseok uses on alcohol…Now’s not the time! I carefully made my way out of the alley way, making sure not to tread or slip on any of the debris in the way. There was light, thank goodness, giving a path along the roadside which eventually lead to a bus stop. I almost threw Baekhyun onto the bench, anxious to find out what time the next bus was coming; if there was another bus coming.
     ‘Aigoo, we’re so lucky Baekkie,’ the next bus is estimated to come in another 20 minutes or so. Now all we got to do is wait. I sat back down next to Baekhyun and immediately he leaned against my shoulder, still sleeping. I leaned back against the cold plastic, resisting the heavy temptation of sleep. No, we can’t miss this bus. The next bus would be another 40 minutes to an hour, due to the night bus not being so frequent. Baekhyun’s soft hair was tickling my cheek as the soft cold breeze. Chills ran down my body; I don’t know if it was from the cold or because Baekhyun was still pressed against me, lightly snoring. I shook that thought from my mind though. I’m just tired, that’s all. My eyes closed without my consent and darkness took over.

A screeching halt brought me back to consciousness; a car skidded in the road at a red light but as soon as the lights turned green it screeched to a start and took off again. Hooligans! Stupid underage drunken teenagers; I scoffed. No sense of responsibility, no sense of being a decent human being; breaking the law and causing unnecessary problems for the rest of the world. Thinking of responsibility…the bus hasn’t come yet has it? I looked at my watch, and then the digital display. Three minutes. Carefully pushing Baekhyun off my side I stood up and stretched my legs; shaking them off to loosen the muscles. I looked along the empty road, looking for any sign of movement. A minute later our bus came round the corner and approached the bus stop. Knowing that if I didn’t signal the bus would probably just pass by without a care, so I stuck my arm out into the road, waving it up and down. The bus signalled its arrival and I turned to try and wake Baekhyun up. His eyebrows furrowed and his eyes squinted at the street lights. He looked around him and rubbed his eyes. Cute.
      ‘Our bus is here’ I told him before helping him up to get on the bus. He stumbled in and before he could hit the ground I caught him and hoisted him back to my side.
      ‘I’m sorry about this’ I laughed nervously as I paid for both our fairs and then pulled Baek down to the closest seat I could before I lost control of him. He dropped himself into the window seat and knocked his head against the window
      ‘Where would you be without me’
      ‘Home’ he mumbled before knocking out again. I don’t know if he actually heard me or if he’s dreaming of being home. Oh well. I slumped down next to him and rested my eyes until I heard the bell for our stop. It’s not too far away.

*Beep beep* the bus slowed to a stop. I tapped Baek’s shoulder but he didn’t respond, so I hauled him up with me and made my way out of the bus; not forgetting to thank the bus driver. ‘Okay Baekkie, you’re going to be this way? Fine.’ I felt as if I was talking to myself. I hauled him up over my shoulder this time and navigated myself through the building my apartment was situated. It wasn’t too hard, at least the elevator has been fixed. I would have died carrying Baekkie up all those stairs. The elevator chimed and I stepped in; I put Baekhyun down and leaned him against the wall so I could catch my bearings, but he slid down the wall.
     ‘God; why the hell are you such a light weight?’ I just left him there and slid down the wall next to him. Maybe he’s just been tired? He has been through a considerable change. Who wouldn’t be tired if they had been attacked the moment they got into the city? Or been taken in by a stranger? Even the job hunt must be tiring. It is only his second day in the city though. I thought. Boy is he going to be tired by the end of it all, whether it’s SMU or if Minseokkie gives him the job or not… *ding* the elevator stopped.
     ‘Alright you, let’s get you inside and in to bed.’ I hauled him up again and over my shoulder; it made it easier to reach for my keys to open the door to my apartment. I struggled with my lack of coordination but I got the key in the hole and made it inside. I didn’t bother turning the lights on, I’ve had more than enough escapades to know where to go without bumping into things…yup, I’ve made mistakes; preferably named Kris.

Finally, the comfort of my own bedroom. ‘We made it Baek…well, I made it. I threw him onto the bed and laid down next to him. Well this is a familiar scene. I guess the next step is to undress him so he wouldn’t be uncomfortable. Don’t be a Tao. Reluctantly I got back up to undress and put my sweat pants on. My next job was to attempt to change Baekhyun. Pulling his skinny jeans off was a task; his jeans were stuck to him like a second skin and he wasn’t making it any easier. He rolled over onto his front and kicked his legs in the process, almost making me fall off the bed. ‘Yah, Baekkie; just let me get your jeans off.’ I yanked hard and they finally came off. Baek curled up into a ball making it impossible for me to do anything else so I gave up and climbed into bed next to him.
     ‘You are one stubborn pup’ was the last thing I said before flinging the blanket over both of us and falling into slumber.

 

*Ring ring*

……*Ring Ring*

Ugh. Let me sleep. I pulled my pillow over my head to block out the sunlight. The phone stopped ringing.

…*Ring ring*

Ugh, leave me alone. I thought I could ignore it but it just kept on ringing. Baek slept through all of it. It just stopped and started again.

*Ring ring*

FINE! You win. I rolled out of bed and staggered to the living room to grab the land line. I didn’t bother to check the caller ID and answered it, waiting for the impatient person on the other line to say something. There was a lack of sound before a voice bombarded through the phone.

    ‘Tao! You better get you and your boyfriend’s down here right now! Or else you’re FIRED.’

Well .

 

 

 


A/N

First things first

a lot went wrong with this.
first i thought i finished this chapter but it turns out either i didn't or the full version got left behind on my school or uni account and not my laptop.
Either way i don't have access to it so i had to rewrite the ending to this chapter -_-
My laptop is also malfunctioning so after writing almost 800 words my laptop shut itself down without auto saving the progress i made but at this point it doesn't matter because when i rewrote it it turned out better than before.

Secondly, the next two chapters have also been left behind and because i'm not back at uni until mid september i don't have access to them either but i think i'm gonna wait the story line out before sending Baekkie off to his audition. so look forward to the added story :D

thirdly, this chap because i still haven't come out of my writers block and i'm kind of just forcing myself to write this. It's taken a long time but i got it done for now. Uni drained my inspiration to write and now that i'm off without the exam period to take over i have time to do stuff so ima try and post weekly on a friday but don't hold me to it :L

i promise i will try but life gets busy

 

for now i'll start working on the next chapter >.<