Accidental Friend

The K-Pop of Ages

Chapter 5 – Accidental Friend

 

Baekhyun

 

I’ve looked around everywhere; any nearby café I could find, any bars that were already open…nothing. They didn’t even spare me a second glance. Tao had left me a while ago now, it’s probably been an hour or more since and I’ve made literally no progress. What am I supposed to do?

 

I guess all I can really do is turn back around and wait for Tao to finish with his volunteer work. How great is that by the way? He teaches little kids how to defend themselves. Obviously I don’t condone violence; I’m more of the peaceful type. I guess that’s another tick off of my masculinity right? I can’t believe that brat; who does he think he is to call me girly…and what on earth did he mean when he said I was the sub to every dom? Do I really look that gay? I admit that I have always dressed a little more out there but I don’t see anything wrong with it. Skinny jeans work perfectly on my thighs. They’re not the most comfortable item of clothing, but growing up with a lot of girls for friends teach you that fashion is worth the pain and discomfort. Plus, they’ve always told me I look good like this. My guy friends never said anything about it either. Stupid Tao.   

 

   ‘Ahhh.’ I found myself on the gritty pavement of the park I had wondered into not too long ago. Someone ran into me. Why me? ‘Watch it!’ I shouted, but it came out more like a yelp as I was manhandled. I felt a strong wrist wrapped around my forearm and a strong arm around my waist; hoisting me back onto my feet as if I was a ragdoll. ‘Hey!’

   ‘Sorry man, I didn’t see you there.’ His breath was heavy against my cheek. He pulled away and let go of me once I stiffened in his grip. I staggered back once his grip on me was gone fully. He also stepped back and pulled his headphones out of his ear. ‘Are you alright?’ My heart stopped for a moment (Why heart, what’s wrong with you?) Getting no reply from me he leaned in close, looking to see for any damage caused to my face. I was so stunned by his actions as my heart sped up. Stop, what are you looking to achieve?  I mentally asked myself. *Click* I snapped out of it. He just clicked his fingers in front of my eyes. *Thump, thump, thump* the thrum of my heart took the blood away from my head. I clutched onto my head feeling the pang. Looking down i saw his body tense as his arms reached out for my shoulders.

   ‘Hey, come back to me.’ he led me to a nearby bench, my body following along as if my brain couldn’t fathom the mechanics of moving. He forced me down, looking panicked.

   ‘Water!’ he suddenly said, and out of nowhere pulled out a bottle, and handed it to me. I just looked at the transparent bottle, half full of the tasteless liquid. ‘Sorry, I haven’t got cooties or anything. It’s alright to drink.’ He smiled sheepishly.

   ‘Thanks.’ I managed to spit out, and then took a sip of the cool refreshing liquid. I felt better after that, getting water into my body and to my brain. Maybe now I can function a little better and my heart will stop spazzing. ‘Here.’ I handed it back to him and he reached out for it. His hand brushed mine as he took it back into his grasp, and I felt tingles spread through my fingers. Bloody tingles. What the heck? He smiled and sat down once he put the bottle away again.

   ‘I’m really sorry. I wasn’t paying attention to my surroundings.’ He scratched the back of his neck.’

   ‘Don’t worry about it.’ Yes worry about it! ‘I guess it’s partially my fault too…’ It’s your fault. ‘You know, for standing in the way.’  

   ‘Okay.’ He flashed a smile that reached his eyes, pearly white teeth showing in the process. That smile though… ‘I’m Jongin.’ He held out his hand for me to take. No, don’t do it, you’ll feel weird tingling feelings down your hand, as if there were little ants running along it… my brain was reasoning but I resisted it and took it anyway.

   ‘Baekhyun.’ I told him.

   ‘Nice to run in to you’ he laughed at his own pun

   ‘I guess.’ Why am I suddenly so shy? I’m great with talking to people!

   ‘So Baekhyun, why were you spacing out like that?’

   ‘Shouldn’t I be asking the same thing? You wouldn’t have knocked me over otherwise.’  

   ‘Touché. Seriously though, don’t do that, you could get badly injured.’ He gestured towards my head.

   ‘I’m alright, I just needed the water. I’ve been looking for work all morning and I can’t find anywhere that’ll take me…’

   ‘Is that what you were spacing out about?’

   ‘No, I was spacing out about how good my thighs look in these jeans.’ I said, lightening the mood up a little. It is partially the truth.

   ‘Well, you do look good in those jeans.’ I felt his gaze burn holes through the tough denim fabric. Not literally *roles eyes* ‘I don’t believe you though.’

   ‘You just agreed with me, what’s not to believe?’

   ‘No, I mean, that can’t be the only thing bothering you.’ His eyebrow quirked unbelievably.

   ‘Well, I am human; I have my own issues, though this one is more trivial than others. It’s not interesting in the very least.’

   ‘Try me.’ he smirked. *thump* *thump* *thump*

   ‘Well…’ I started, but stopped in my track. He smirked again, challenging me. ‘My friend said I look like a girl’ I spat out quietly, looking down at the ground; avoiding his tempting gaze. Looking up slightly I could see his expression, confused as he decoded what I had just said. Before I could hide my blush is saw his face light up and a loud chuckle erupted out of his plush looking lips. His eyes scrunched up into slits, evilly as I glared at him. ‘Shut up!’ I jumped up from the bench. ‘I shouldn’t even have to tell you what goes on in my head! I only just met you! I probably won’t even see you again!’ I let out my frustration of the situation on him.

   ‘So why do you care then?’ he asked once he finally calmed down. ‘If you won’t see me again then why does it bother you so much?’

   ‘I…I don’t know’ I huffed. Running my fingers through my tousled hair I carried on. ‘I don’t want to be seen as girly. First impressions are tough to change. If I already came across as girly to Tao and you then what is it going to be like when I start at university here? Or when I find work?’

   ‘Do you want to know what my first impression of was?’ he stood up in front of me and looked at me apologetically. All I could do was nod at him, the close vicinity between us heating my face p a little, distracting my brain from speaking in coherent English.

   ‘I thought you were pretty cute. You looked like a kicked puppy in need of attention.’ He smiled genuinely.

   ‘Thanks…I think.’ He shrugged.

   ‘It’s better than being called cute right?’

   ‘I guess so.’ Probably by one step, I thought.

   ‘Can I treat you to a drink?’ he suddenly asks. ‘As an apology’

   ‘O-okay. But it will have to be quick; I have to meet a friend in half an hour.’  

   ‘Awesome, I know a great place.’ His smile brightened and he grabbed me by the arm, dragging me until we reached out destination.

 

He had taken me into a bubble-tea café, claimed that one of his best friends, (he looked sad when he said it) had loved the place and he started going there out of habit.

   ‘Are you and you’re friend…’ I asked as we sat at a table, comfortably sipping the tea. He looked startled at the question but he answered it with a shake of his head.

   ‘We got into a few issues just before leaving high school.’ He frowned, but his faced turned normal again and his contagious eye smile returned. Issues? What kind of issues? I didn’t press any further than that though because he didn’t seem to want to carry on the conversation. Instead he asked me about myself, and why I was looking for work.

   ‘I’m going to be auditioning for SM Academy soon.’ I said with stars in my eyes, missing the surprised stare that was sent in my direction. I caught a glimpse of it but his face returned stoic.’

   ‘What are you auditioning with?’ he asked, looking interested at the thought of me having some kind of talent.

   ‘I sing.’ I answered simply, picking at the shortbread biscuits we bought. ‘What about you, what do you do?’

   ‘I dance.’ His answer, simple like mine.

   ‘You any good?’     

   ‘Of course.’ He almost looked offended by my question.

   ‘What about you?’

   ‘Of course.’ I grinned.

Our chatter carried on like that until we finished and I decided it was about time to go back and meet Tao. He walked me towards the park, to the space Tao and I decided would be our meeting place. I told him he didn’t need to but he said because it was getting dark he felt obligated to.  I don’t know if that was another crack to my more feminine side or what but I let him anyway since he treated me to a drink and has been pretty friendly so far…apart from laughing at my trivial problem.

   ‘I suppose I should say thank you.’ I told him when we finally got back to my place of meeting.

   ‘I suppose you should.’ He gave me an eye smile once he was stood in front of me; at a breathable length.

   ‘Thank you.’ My smile reached my eyes genuinely. ‘We probably won’t meet again so…’ I held out my hand, ‘it was nice bumping into you, having lunch with you, and having you walk me back here as if I was a little girl.’ I sneered at the last part.

   ‘No problem princess. We probably won’t meet again but it was nice.’

We stood there together as the street lights started to come on and the sun was going down, leaving the sky a bright tint of pink and orange.

   ‘I guess I should go now’ he said, sadly.

   ‘Yeah,’ I agreed.

He pivoted and started to walk away from me, but before completely leaving my vision, he stopped and said loudly, ‘I think we will see each other again.’ He sent me a wink ‘at least I hope we do.’ I faintly heard, and then he walked off and merged with the rest of the crowded street. He thinks we will meet again huh? It’s hard to say whether we will or not. It’s weird though; I only just came here and yet I’ve already made two friends. Admittedly I do hope I can meet Jongin again but it’s unlikely. Maybe we’ll both become stars and perform on the same stage, me singing and him dancing. I slapped my cheeks lightly. What am I thinking? I have to get into SMA first before I can even think about becoming a star. Getting into SMA alone is hard enough; imagine how hard it’ll be to get into the music industry. I looked up at the sky which was slowly changing to a dark glittery blue. What if I don’t make it? What if they don’t like my audition? Then what? All of this would be in vain. I came all the way out here for this…

   ‘Baek?’ I heard faintly. ‘Baek…’ it came a little louder. ‘Byun Baekhyun!’

   ‘What?’ I snapped back to earth.

   ‘Oh, you’re finally back from Baek-dreamland huh? What’s going on in that pretty little head of yours?’ Tao’s soft, sarcastic voice sounded. I looked up at his face, yes I have to look up at him, he looked amused at my state.

   ‘Nothing.’ I lied.

   ‘It’s obviously something…and as cute as you look zoning out looking up at the sky like a manga character, I can’t let you zone out on the street like this. We don’t want a repeat of what happened last night.’

   ‘Sorry.’ 

   ‘You should be. You can’t count on me to always be around.’ He ruffled my hair up until I slapped his hand away. He chuckled softly and decided it was time to stop teasing me. ‘So, any luck with the job hunting?’

   ‘Nope’ I shook my head. ‘But it’s not like I have to find a job right away is it?’ I shrugged. I am disappointed about not finding a job but if I’m being realistic, I won’t find one immediately. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

   ‘True, but if you’re going to be staying with me it would be nice to get some money pouring in. You know, since I’m going to have a second mouth to feed, more water wasted and such…’

   ‘I get it, I know. I will find a job soon. Hopefully you won’t even have to put up with me for much longer.’

   ‘What happened to Mr. Optimistic? You’ll get in’ he smiled genuinely at me. You don’t know that, I wanted to say. ‘Now come on, some of us do have a job to go to.’ He dragged me around the street.

 

Do I seriously look like a rag doll? Why do I keep on getting dragged around like this?
It’s nice I guess; reminds me of when I was a little kid and my dad would hold my hand and we’d walk around town all happy…and then he would take me to that club he always took me to…

 

 

   ‘We’re here!’ Tao let go of my shoulders as we stood outside a club, a building covered in posters and lights.

 

Whoa.