Unrequited Love.

Learning How To Fly

 A/N: Angsty chapter is finally done. I hope it was good and angsty enough. haha Hope you guys enjoy the story. ^_^ Maybe I should do a part 2 but in Chanyeol's P.O.V?

 

The hardest thing is seeing the one you love, loving someone else.

 

For the longest time Sunyoung had this huge crush on her best friend: Chanyeol. It was one of the hardest thing she ever had to cope with. Slowly her upbeat, lively and bubbly personality made place for someone who always felt sad, tired and empty. She was merely a shell of the person she once was. She had tried to pretend being just his best friend was enough, but by doing so she had no time to get over him and move on. It really didn’t help to make her feel any better when he talked about his girlfriends or when he complains why they couldn’t just take him as he is and always wanting more from him. Somehow he always managed to get girlfriends that were high maintenance and pretty y. Times like that she wanted to scream at him how he can be so blind for not seeing there is someone who always loved him just the way he is and would do anything to make him happy. Her. He just saw her as a friend. A close one, but that’s as far as she could go with him and it hurts. There were not enough words to describe how much she was hurting inside.

“Unnie, you don’t need anyone that doesn’t need you or want you!” Soojung said while chewing on her rice during lunch break.

It was nice of her to say these things and in the beginning she told herself the same things. Just to make herself feel better and strong. She had been strong for too long though and now she had fallen in this deep black hole and couldn’t seem to find her way out.

She smiled up at her friend though. “You’re right about that, but…” “No buts! You deserve better than this.” Jinri spoke up after swallowing her food.

And she did. She really did, but something in her didn’t want to let go or couldn’t let him go. She let out a deep sigh while poking in her food.

“I don’t really know what to do…” Victoria who had been quiet for quite some time cleared . She was the oldest and had the most experience with things like this. All eyes were focused on the oldest girl as she spoke. “Sun young, we as your friends can’t see you suffer like this anymore. How long is it like this? I think all in all about a year. It’s not your fault. Friendship with a guy can be a dangerous thing. There’s always a chance you fall for him. The best thing you can do right now is take some distance from him.”

Sunyoung nodded. It was hard to stay away from him. Not only because they were best friends, but they actually lived right across from each other. Fate could be cruel like that. There was just no escape from him. At least she wasn’t in the same class as him and during breaks they didn’t always were sitting at the same table either. It was almost as if she was only his friend when his guy friends were not around. She knew that wasn’t true, even thinking badly about him was impossible. ————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————— Sunyoung sat in her windowsill, one of her favorite places. She could overlook the street and the sky was nicely visible on this spot. She had been sitting there for quite some time looking at the moon and the stars. It was nice not having to think off anything for a moment and just sit there, quietly in the dark. She jumped slightly when she heard the buzzing of her phone, picking it up to see who it was. Chanyeol oppa read the screen of her phone. She hesitated for a slight second before picking it up.

“Hello?” “What are you looking at all this time?” So, he had been watching her all this time? Her stomach made a leap of joy before she quickly brought herself down by the face that he probably just saw her through his window. Friends watch each other too. Nothing special about that.

“Oh… The moon and stars. Pretty aren’t they?”

“Yeah, they are.”

“My dad used to always tell me this sto—“ “Sunyoung, hold on for a moment. My girlfriend is calling me on the other line.”

And gone he was. She felt tears burning inside her eyes, but she refused to let them fall. Why would he even call her if he knew his girlfriend was going to call. She was not there for his entertainment when he feels bored or something. She hung up her phone and closed her curtains. Letting herself fall on the bed with an annoyed huff. Maybe being mad at him did help to make her want to distance herself from him. Just so she could get over him, move on and be his best friend again without being bothered by him dating someone else. She didn’t know when she drifted off, but the sudden buzz of her phone woke her up. Without looking she picked up her phone, keeping her eyes closed.

“Hello?” It stayed quiet for a while at the other end of the line.

“Sunyoung.” His voice sounded hoarse like he had been crying.

She sat up straight. “What’s wrong, oppa?” Her voice filled with worry. “She broke up with me.”

She let herself fall back down. Of course. How could she think there would be anything else the matter? It’s always these girls that made him feel sad and hurt. And the funny thing off all of this is that she knew how he felt and he was the one who was making her feel like this and he didn’t have a single clue. He— like most guys could not get subtle hints which makes them realize “Oh this girl really likes me.” No, of course not. Or maybe he chose to ignore it, making her believe he didn’t know anything and kept treating her like a friend thinking her feelings for him will just disappear. She wasn’t sure which one of it was. She sighed softly. She had to listen to his usual complaints like he always had when he had broken up. Why can’t I find a nice girl? Why can’t they take me as I am? Why can’t I also have time for my friends? She had answers for all of that, but she chose to keep shut and just say comforting things like; Things will be okay again. I’m sorry she did that to you. You will find a girl like that one day. —————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————The next morning Sunyoung met up with her friends on their local spot where they would all come together every morning to walk to school the last bit.

“Good morning!” She was greeted cheerfully by her friends which made her smile.

She wasn’t sure anymore if it was a genuine smile or one of her fake ones she put up most of the time. “Did you stay up late again?” Amber asked her as they were starting to walk to school. “

He called me last night.” She hadn’t to say his name. They all knew who she was talking about.

“His girlfriend broke up with him”

“Ohmygod, is he even able to keep a girl?” Soojung said while making a face, which resulted into getting an angry look from Sunyoung.

“Sorry, I just mean. You know. I’m worried that maybe there is something wrong with him and you only deserve the best!” Sun young smiled. This time she knew it was a genuine one.

Only these four girls still knew how to make her smile even when she didn’t feel like smiling at all. “It’s just that these girls never appreciate him. They only think of themselves and he only needs to satisfy heir needs. It sounds like he is their slave more than their boyfriend.” “

Yeah, that guy somehow always picks these girls. I think because they are older too ya know. Thinking they can order him around and he walks after them like a puppy.”

Amber knew what she was talking about. She was one of his classmate and also a friend of his. The day almost seemed to have no end, but the final bell rang and Sunyoung couldn’t be more happier. She just wanted to go home, have a cup of tea and read a book. Everything was just getting tiresome and she needed a break from school badly. Thankfully Summer break was coming up. First there was this stupid school dance thing at the end of the week. She already decided she wasn’t going to go. No one asked her anyway except for her friends. As she was walking out the building she heard someone yell her name before she could even react she felt an arm wrap around her shoulders. It was Chanyeol.

“What’s going on, oppa?” She forced herself to let out a laugh.

“I’ve been looking for you.”

“Oh, you have? Why?” “I wanted to ask you something… I have no one to go to the school dance with and I wanted to ask if you wanted to go with me?” She should have been happy when being asked by him, but she wasn’t. She knew she was just some last resort so he had someone to go with. She wanted to slap herself when she heard herself say Yes. Her friends are going to flip for her being this stupid. Especially after she promised Victoria to take her advice and distance herself from him. He dropped her off in front of her door step and waved at her as he walked over to his own door. As soon as she got inside her house she called Victoria.

“Unnie! Unnie, I give you permission to slap me. I’m so stupid.”

“Eh? What did you do?”

“He asked me to that dance and I said yes.”

There was along sigh than silence for a while. “What about that distance you were going to take from him? Sunyoung, you need to stop doing this to yourself. Promise me something.” “Anything, unnie.” “After this dance if anything happens that makes you cry, feel sad or anything like that you distance yourself from him. For real this time.” “I promise.” “Because if not I will drag you away from him by your ear. I’m not even kidding.”

Sunyoung let out a chuckle. “I got it, unnie!” —————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————The week was over before she knew it and the time for the dance was coming closer and closer. Chanyeol said he would pick her up like the real gentleman he was. Really, there was nothing bad to say about him which pissed her off, because it just made everything so much harder. She just wanted to feel like herself again. Her old self and not having to fake most of her smiles and laughs just to seem like everything was normal and okay. She was happy on one hand that he asked her to the dance on the other hand she worried about his motives. She was sure nothing was going to happen so she had already told herself not to get her hopes up, though a small part of her was still hoping for something. She was brought back to her senses when she heard the doorbell ringing.

She let her mother open the door for her. She took a last look into the mirror before heading down the stairs, carefully with her high heels on and her pink satin dress. Her hair nicely put up in a knot. This wasn’t how she normally would dress. She felt more comfortable in pants and occasionally she would put on a dress or skirt— mostly when she was being nagged by one of her friends to wear something like that.

Chanyeol was having a polite conversation with her mother as she made her way down and took a deep breath before putting up her smile again. She could see his eyes growing a little bigger in surprise.

“Whoa, Sunyoung. You look nice.”

“Thank you, oppa. You look nice yourself as well.”

They said their goodbyes to her mom and walked out. Needless to say she felt kinda nervous now that they were all alone. Thankfully her friends were going to be at the party so she had some support. The ride to the school was mostly quiet. He seemed to be nervous as well. She wasn’t sure about what exactly, but she was pretty sure it had nothing to do with her. She was okay with the quietness though. Strangely enough it wasn’t an awkward silence.They soon arrived at the school dance and were greeted by the sound of loud music pumping through the room. She would have enjoyed this a lot more if she wasn’t feeling bad, but she was going to make the best out of everything.

“Hey, you wanna dance?”

She blinked a few times at his question before she nodded slowly. “Okay.”

He led her to the dance floor. Dancing was something she enjoyed doing so it didn’t take her long before she started to feel the beat and started to dance along with it. And she smiled while doing so. For a moment she could lose herself in the music and forget about hardships and just have fun. He placed his hands on her waist to pull her closer to him. She froze on her spot for a moment. What was he doing exactly? She didn’t know what to think of this, but before she could ask he leaned in closer to whisper something in her ear.

“Sunyoung, you have to help me. Actually the reason I asked you to the dance is, you see Baekhyun said that I should make my ex jealous with another girl so she will want me back. Coming to think of it my other ex was jealous of you. Crazy huh? I’m sorry I didn’t say anything before.”

Why did this not surprise her at all? She had been stupid again into thinking he would ask her for any other reason. Even if it was only as a friend that would have been a hundred times better than this. She wanted to get mad at him, but she held it in and just nodded. She didn’t want to cause a scene with so many people around. “I think I’m going to find my friends for a moment.” She broke free from his grip and walked away. This really was too much. She never thought he would be this selfish. What kind of advice is it to give someone to make someone else jealous. In’t that childish?

She felt tears welling up, but she really didn’t want to cry right in front of people.

“Unnie… unnie you were right! I’m so stupid. He just used me to make his ex jealous.” She bursted out as soon as she found her friends near the bar.

Victoria pulled her away from the large crowd and into the hallway. Most people were inside so they were practically alone.

“I’m sorry. I don’t want to ruin your night. You’re right though. I should have distanced myself sooner, but I feel like a bad friend all this time for wanting to do so. And in the end I get even more hurt than I already was.” By this time Soojung, Amber and Jinri joined them in the hallway.

“What did he do? Do I have to go beat him up?” Soojung asked.

“He just used me to make his ex jealous. I can’t believe he actually did that to me…”

“That’s it! I’m beating him up.” Amber grabbed her by the arm as soon as she made way to walk over to Chanyeol.

“I think I just should go home. Summer break is starting. I think I will go visit my aunt and help her at the farm. It will give me some time to get over him.” She nodded with a sigh. Her friends nodded.

“Do you want me to take you home?” Amber asked.

She shook her head though. “You guys shouldn’t let your night be ruined because of me. I will just go alone. It’s no problem.”

She wanted to be alone anyway. Just as she was about to say bye to her friends Chanyeol walked in. He seemed a little confused about the death stares he got from most of the girls.

“What’s going on here? Girl talk huh? I just wanted to ask if you were okay to go home alone or get another ride? Baekhyun’s plan worked.” He said with a grin. Oh, how she wanted to smack that grin right off his face.

“Oh yeah sure. Actually oppa, before you go I have something to tell you.” She looked at her friends who nodded before leaving the two alone.

“What do you nee—“

“Oppa, how could you do this to me? I never thought you could be this selfish. Have you ever considered my feelings? Am I some play toy? What kind of friend only thinks of himself? Actually coming to think of it… You haven’t been my friend in a long time. ever since you got a girlfriend I’m not important enough anymore. Only when you need to vent about something then I need to make all the time in the world to listen to you. And I do. Every single time. Why do you let them walk all over you and treat you this way? You deserve so much better than that. Why could you be this blind to overlook someone that always been there for you and takes you the way you are. Not only as a friend, but as a man as well. You’ve never seen me as more have you?”

“Sunyoung… I—“

“I don’t want to hear it. Whatever it is that you have to say. I don’t want to hear it. I’m done. We are no longer friends. We’re nothing!”