Chapter 8

The Sound of Your Heart

Baekho's POV

 

I sat quietly in the van as my manager brought me home. It wasn't the same home in the sense that I was used to; we weren't headed towards the mansion that I had once shared with DREAM. No, JB was taking me back to my parents' large, empty house. I didn't want to go back there, but where else did I have left to go? The company took everything back. All my money, clothes and all of my belongings, they were all gone. Why? Because they never belonged to me. They belonged to the company. Everything that I had bought from when I was in the trainee program and up until my very last day with DREAM, it was with Pledis' credit card. The illusion that the three of us were rich and lived grandiose lives was a facade. It wasn't real. Everything belonged to Pledis. It's what they 'invested' in us. Of course, having no real use for me anymore, they took it all back. I had nothing. I owned nothing. All of my true belongings I had left back in my parents house when I had moved out to start training with the company. That was back when I was nineteen. I was twenty-five years old now, returning to the room of my former teenage self. But even then none of that stuff was truly mine; it was my parents.

 

As soon as we pulled up in front of my parents mansion I climbed out, ignoring JB and stepping through the gate and opening the front door. I was forward focused and hadn't noticed it, but he had exited the van and followed me inside. Unable to hear him coming up from behind me, I jumped three feet in the air when I turned to shut the door and found myself standing face to face with my manager. I narrowed my eyes then turned my back to him, walking deeper inside the house and leaving the door open for him to close on his own. As I reached the foot of the staircase, I noticed he was still following me. I paused.

 

What do you want?!” I screeched at him.

 

JB remained silent. Or maybe he said something. I didn't know; my back was turned to him. I curled my hands into tight fists by my side.

 

You don't have to be here anymore, so stop sticking to my side like glue.”

 

Is that it?” He asked. I froze upon hearing him; JB had actually put in the effort to raise his voice to speak to me? I had expected for him to treat me like the others down at Pledis had, like yesterday's garbage.

 

Is what it?” I muttered.

 

I can't be the only one who thinks what Pledis is doing is wrong.”

 

I slowly turned to face him, raising a brow. “Look at you,” I said, talking down on him. “Acting as if you're not their spineless puppet.”

 

JB narrowed his eyes and glared at me. “I follow their orders because it's my job.

 

And?” I scoffed.

 

You don't bite the hand that feeds you.” He replied. I rolled my eyes and took a step forward, climbing the first stair. JB suddenly reached forward and grabbed me by my elbow, stopping me from going any further. “I'm not done speaking.”

 

I'm done listening.” My hearing was limited, apparently. I didn't want to waste any of my effort trying to listen if all JB had to talk about was Pledis, the company that chewed me up and spit me out like a worthless piece of gum. I shook his hand off of my arm and took another step forward, climbing another stair.

 

But in this case, it's an exception.”

 

I paused as his words reached my ears. I glanced back at him. “What...”

 

Baekho, I've watched you grow as an artist for years. Believe me when I tell you that you have a talent that's real.”

 

What's your point?” I snapped, growing irritated with him.

 

JB let his hand fall to his side. “You can still sing.” He replied, baffling me. I stared at him with wide eyes. Pledis might not believe in you, but I do.”

 

I paused for a brief moment before chuckling. As I calmed down, I flashed him an intimidating look. “They say the brain's the first thing to go as you age. You're crazy.” I turned my back to him again and began climbing the entire length of the staircase.

 

He stomped his foot down adamantly as I reached the top. I stopped and glanced back down at him, making eye contact. JB shook his head. “You can still sing!”

 

If you're going to keep insisting of filling my head with foolish thoughts, then get out. You're not amusing anyone here.”

 

But you can-”

 

I said leave!”

 

How do you know if you haven't even tried?!” He exclaimed. “Did you lose your voice? You can still sing, Baekho!”

 

Pledis will never take me back!” I screamed.

 

Then let me help you!” JB screamed back at me. I clenched my fists and spun around, looking down on him from the top of the banister.

 

You? Help me? Who do you think you are? You're a road manager; you're nothing but Pledis' dog.” I spat. A flash of hurt flickered over JB's face before he lowered his head. He went silent for a moment before lifting it back up and glancing at me with a serious look in his eyes.

 

Isn't it your dream to sing, Baekho?”

 

I paused. “I don't know what it is anymore.” I replied truthfully. I didn't know. I needed my hearing to be able to sing, and now that it was nearly gone, what else did I have left? Did I even deserve to dream anymore? I couldn't see past the present; I couldn't see a future for me. I was terrified. I didn't know what was going to become of me. Would I ever be able to live a normal, comfortable life again? The agitation that accompanied my hearing loss was pushing me over the edge. I knew what normal hearing sounded like. I knew this wasn't the way I normally heard the world. I knew something was wrong with my ears and it drove me insane that my hearing wouldn't go back to the way it was. I hated struggling having to hear what JB was saying, even though by the look on his face, I was quite sure he was screaming at me each time he spoke. If I missed whatever information he conveyed, my strong pride refused to allow me to ask for him to repeat himself. In my mentality, people who asked several questions were stupid. I wasn't stupid; I just couldn't hear... but the outside world didn't know that and I feared that judgment. How could I possibly go back and stand on stage once again like this? My fans... they wouldn't see me as the 'cool' Kang Baekho they once knew; they'd see me as a fool, as an idiot that has lost his senses.

 

Do you know what my dream is?”

 

I don't care.”

 

Although my words clearly hurt him, JB continued. Pledis' dog? Do you honest to god think that my dream is to remain there forever?”

 

Then what?” I asked. It was clear that JB had no intention of leaving anytime soon even though all I wanted was to be alone.

 

In order to to succeed in this world, you have to climb the ladder and learn in the process. I might be a road manager right now, but my true dream is to produce.”

 

Stop wasting my time and tell me whatever it is you have to say!”

 

Sign under me.”

 

I stared at him with wide eyes after hearing his bold proposition. “You would quit your high paying job at Pledis just to help me?” JB nodded. “Are you mad?”

 

I know talent when I see it. Baekho, I know you can still be successful, all we need to do is find you the right help-”

 

Who in the right world would sign under a no-name agent whose only experience is that of a road manager? To ask me to sign under you; ha, what an insult! Find me the right help? That would require telling people I have a hearing impairment and it only takes one person for gossip to spread like a wildfire! In order to be successful, I have to be perfect in all ways; I can't be an idol and have a hearing impairment!”

 

Who said it has to be that way?!” JB screamed at me, making me pause. “Screw what the media portrays as 'perfect'! You, Kang Baekho, you have the power, the popularity to change it!”

 

I HAVE NOTHING!!!” I screamed, collapsing down to my knees. I lifelessly stared down at JB through the bars of the banister. “My fans, Pledis, DREAM; everyone has abandoned me, so do me a favor and do the same! I don't need you or your help so get lost!” JB gave me a sullen look before turning his back to me and making his way to the front door of the mansion. As he reached for the handle he paused and glanced back up at me.

 

I will always be your manager; official or not. If there is anything you need at any time of day or night, you have my number. I won't let you become famous for becoming a wreck. I will let you grieve, but I won't let you become a danger to yourself. You still have friends; I still believe in you, DREAM still believes in you, and I know you're capable of doing great things even if you don't realize this yet. I'll be back; I'm not taking 'no' for an answer. Kang Baekho, you will stand on stage at least one more time. I'll see to it that you do.”

 

GET OUT!” I screamed, tears falling from the corners of my eyes as I remained hunched over on the floor. I didn't want to hear this. I just wanted to be left alone to rot in my own misery, regardless if that's what JB was trying to prevent. “Just get out... get out...” I pleaded, shifting my gaze down to the floor. Moments later when I glanced up, I hadn't heard the door open and close, but JB had listened to my request and left. My heart shook; I don't know why it hurt so much to see that he was gone now. After all, I had told him to leave, hadn't I? But even still... I didn't really expect for him to leave. And now here I was, all alone in this big empty house. I slammed my fist against the marble flooring and screamed.

 

I can't do this!” I don't want to do this. I shakily climbed back onto my feet with the help of the railing from the banister and messily made my way down the hall, knocking over picture frames and artworks from the walls as I passed them. I sloppily grabbed the door handle and tore into my old teenage room. Amidst my tears, I paused as I took a moment to glance around. I hadn't been home in years, and yet, my room was exactly the way I had left it. It was as if nineteen year old Baekho had suddenly got up and went outside just yesterday. Old comic books were laying around, some still spread out to the exact page I had left it open on. Various trophies lined the shelves and posters of my favorite singers were still hanging up on the walls. Several certificates I had received in vocal classes and even awards I had won from talent shows were still neatly lined up on the wall next to my trophy shelf. I narrowed my eyes and gripped my fists, madly marching my way over to the shelf and swinging my arms against it, sweeping all the trophies and throwing them angrily across the room.

 

I turned to my awards and tore each one of from the wall, slamming them down on the ground, their frames and glass fronting breaking into hundreds of pieces. I knelt down and removed the paper certificates from the debris and began to rip them into shreds in a frenzy. Tears still rolling down my face, I threw the tiny pieces pieces into the air and screamed amidst the rain of falling paper. I walked over to my bed and tore the pillows from my bed, throwing them wherever they landed, completely destroying my entire room. I approached my full length body mirror and turned it over, knocking it onto its side on the floor. I fell to my knees and began to sob into my hands after I realized what I had just done. I knelt over and started picking up the shreds of my certificates and placing them into a pile.

 

What have I done...? My awards... My only proof of ever being successful in something I loved before the accident... it was gone now... I leaned over and sobbed into the foot of my bed, staining my comforter with my wet tears. How am I supposed to live like this...? I can't... I don't want to... I can't be broken... I was perfect... I was at the top of the world and now I'm at the very bottom. I give up. I can't do this, I won't! I glanced down at the broken glass shards which lined my carpet and picked up a piece with a sharp edge. I stared at it for a moment, my hand shaking before I threw it across the room and returned to sobbing into the edge of my bed. I didn't even have the courage to end it.

 

My chest tightened and my breathing grew heavy. My tears dripped onto the floor. I'm so scared... I'm all alone... what am I supposed to do now? My world, it's over...they've all left me. Don't leave me... I don't want to be alone. I'm scared; please don't abandon me... don't forget me...

 

 

 

Minhyun's POV

 

My name is Jason; I'm your new dance choreographer.” I watched as he stretched his hand out to me. I glanced over at Aron who was watching us with the same blank expression written on his face as always. Hesitantly I took his hand and shook it.

 

Hwang Minhyun, lead vocal.” I replied, keeping our conversation short and sweet. Or at least tried to. This new Jason guy didn't seem to catch the memo. He smiled even wider at me, maintaining eye contact as he brought my hand up to his face and rubbed his cheek against it's surface, startling me. I immediately snatched my hand back and took a step away from him as chills ran down my spine. What the hell...?

 

Sorry, it looked so soft. I had to test it out for myself, heh.” He smirked. I gave him a wide eyed look. Was this guy serious? “You're so handsome, almost like a prince! How old are you?”

 

Excuse me?”

 

So I know how to address you, of course.” He bowed. I continued to stare at him. His mannerisms were quite strange... this guy, he wasn't from around here, was he?

 

25.”

 

Jason pouted. “You're too young for me.”

 

W-what?” I stuttered, shocked that anyone would say such a thing out loud.

 

Anyways,” His face lit up as he clapped his hands together. “Instead of Jason, just call me 'hyung'!” He declared boldly, placing both hands on his hips and puffing his chest out proudly.

 

I folded my arms across my chest and scoffed. “Don't be ridiculous; I don't even call Aron 'hyung.'” The nerve of this guy, wanting me to call him 'hyung.' We barely just met!

 

Jason gave me a judging look before shaking his head. “Shame on you.” He replied then turned his attention over towards Aron. “You poor thing; you must have it rough.” I glanced over at Aron who was nodding his head in agreement.

 

I really do.”

 

I knelt down and quickly removed my tennis shoe, about to chuck it at his head but stopped when Jason turned back around to face me. I immediately lowered it to my side and nervously laughed. Jason glanced down at the shoe then back up at me. “Put your shoe back on, Minion. We got some dancin' to do!” He exclaimed cheerfully then made his way to the front of the room.

 

It's Min-hyun.” I corrected.

 

Jason paused then blinked. “What did I say?”

 

Minion.”

 

He threw his head back and laughed. “Oh, I love those little yellow guys from that movie!”

 

My jaw dropped open. I extended my index finger and pointed at him, glancing over at Aron in shock. Was he going to let this guy mess around with me like this? I turned a pale shade of white when I realized Aron was snickering along while hiding behind his hand. “Stop it! Both of you!”

 

The two of them stopped. Jason bowed apologetically. “I'm just teasing you.”

 

Well don't! Aron's enough of a troll already; I don't need two of you guys around.”

 

Jason smiled. “Sorry, sorry. Now let's get to work, shall we? Like I said before, you can call me Jason or 'hyung.'. I hail from the beautiful Jeju island and have quite an impressive dance background so I know a thing or two about a thing or two.”

 

I blinked. I knew he wasn't from around here. “You're from Jeju? Why did you come all the way to Seoul then?” This was my nice way of saying 'go back.' But at the same time, I was skeptical. He had a strange accent when he spoke, like he wasn't from around here, or even Jeju, really.

 

For the beautiful men.” He replied, winking at Aron who was too busy fumbling with his phone to notice it. I turned even paler, if that were at all possible, seething from rage and jealousy. How dare he wink at him! Aron was taken; this guy needed to back off before I made him back off. As I was about to step forward and say something, Jason spoke back up. “Just kidding, but not really. Maybe. Actually, Pledis called me, said there was an opening and well, I had nothing better to do.” He shrugged.

 

I narrowed my eyes at him. “It's nice to know we're nothing but an extra-curricular activity you've taken on to amuse yourself with.” This Jason guy seemed absolutely bizarre. Friendly, maybe, but weird? Definitely. Not to mention he lacked a sense of manners. He reminded me of my first impression of Aron when Pledis had shipped him in from overseas and enrolled him into the trainee program. Of course, Aron barely spoke a word of Korean. The only words he did know were slang words and his actions were rather blunt and crude.

 

Jason shook his head. “Of course not; to be able to work with Pledis is an opportunity of a lifetime. Bossman called me in, asking for me to help transform 2DREAM into untouchable stars. That's why I'm here. I might be your typical lovable little rascal, but I come from the best of the best and I am determined to make you guys the greatest. You have my word.”

 

I don't like him. “I'll hold you to it then.” I forced a smiled on my face. Jason nodded then clapped his hands together and we got started with today's practice. He was determined to make us popular? We'll see about that. I'm just waiting for him to mess up. How dare he flirt with Aron, especially right in front of me. I was typically a nice guy, but I had put so much effort into Aron that I wasn't going down without a fight.

 

 

After about three hours of dancing and learning the beginning to a brand new routine to a song we had yet to even record, I learned that this prankster from Jeju was actually serious. When he got to work, he dropped the smiling look on his face and became deadly serious, chastising us for every mistake we made. Jason's work ethic was much different from JR's though; Jason seemed to be more strict, but he wasn't as insulting as JR was. In the past he would call us 'inept' or 'stupid' if we didn't perform up to his expectations. Jason refrained from the insults but would make us repeat the move we missed over a hundred times until we nailed it, making us drop to the floor in sweat and exhaustion. When practice was over, Jason shut off the musical score to our unrecorded song and smiled at us.

 

Good job! I hope you're not tired!” He laughed. I gave him a dirty look from up off the floor. “So where's home?”

 

I blinked. “Home?” I repeated, not quite sure what he meant.

 

Jason nodded. “I need a place to crash; you see, my bed's back in Jeju. It's a bit of a distance.” He replied, showing us the unit of distance between his index finger and thumb, holding it up to his face.

 

Wait, what? No. Didn't Pledis set you up with a place when they transferred you here?” I asked. No, he absolutely couldn't stay with us. That would spell disaster. No, no, no-

 

He smiled widely then nodded again. “Yup. With you guys.”

 

We have plenty of rooms.” Aron finally chimed in, standing up from the floor. Wrong, Aron! You're supposed to be on my side! Jason's face brightened at Aron's comment. He walked over and threw his arm around Aron's neck and shoulders.

 

You sure I wouldn't be putting anyone out? I could just share a room with you.” Jason closed in on him. Aron remained expressionless as ever. I screamed. Both of them glanced my way.

 

That's not necessary! Like he said, there's plenty of rooms.” I replied, walking over towards them and peeling Jason's arm from off my clueless boyfriend. Once he was off of him, I stepped in between them and wrapped my arms protectively around Aron's waist, glaring back at Jason. Aron is mine. Jason took a step back and blinked a couple of times before yet again another smile spread across his lips.

 

Let's get going then, shall we?”

 

 

 

When we arrived at the mansion, I led Jason through the halls, taking him to the room farthest away as possible from Aron's. I turned the knob and threw the door open. “This one's yours.” I replied then quickly turned my back to him, leaving him alone to explore his new room. He stepped inside curiously then disappeared. I made my way over to my own room and grabbed my things before entering the bathroom to quickly shower. On a normal basis I usually took rather long ones, but I didn't trust that red head alone with Aron for long. I quickly washed myself and stepped back out into the hallway where Aron and Jason had already convened. They seemed to be talking about something but stopped once they spotted me. I paused for a moment; how suspicious. Did they not want me to hear?

 

I walked up to them and stopped. “What's going on?”

 

We were just chatting.” Aron replied. I shot him a dirty look. Since when did Aron ever chat? The guy was as quiet as a mouse for the most part.

 

Really?”

 

Aron gave me a strange look. “Yeah.” He replied, “Is it my turn to shower?” I nodded.

 

Or we could conserve water and take one together.” Jason smirked at him, making the hairs on my neck raise with anger and jealousy. Wow, this guy didn't miss a beat! I stared at him with wide eyes. What the hell was that?!

 

Aron paused then blinked. “You're funny, hyung.”

 

HYUNG?!

 

Jason pouted in defeat. “Of course I am.”

 

We can talk more over pizza later.”

 

PIZZA?! Did they make plans to go out without me? Aron!

 

A smile spread across Jason's sullen face. “Alright! I look forward to it!” He replied then left the two of us standing alone in the long hallway. Once he was gone I gave Aron a hurt look. How could he keep me out of his plans? I was his boyfriend now, wasn't I? How could he not see that this Jason guy was after him? I knew Aron was dense, but not to this capacity. Aron must have sensed my discomfort and he placed a hand on my shoulder.

 

I didn't think you would want to go.”

 

I'm going.” I replied adamantly, surprising him. He seemed genuinely shocked that I would want to join in on their dinner plans, but happy. A small smile spread across his lips and he patted my back.

 

I'm glad.” He replied, removing his hand and slowly walking past me and into the bathroom. Once he had closed the door I bit my bottom lip nervously and glanced to the far corner down the hall where Jason's room was. Did I really have to be worried about those two? No... of course not! Don't be ridiculous, Minhyun! It's only coming from Jason's side. Aron loves me, doesn't he? I was the one he had asked to accept his heart after much effort on his part. Of course not, Aron would never leave me for that weirdo, right?

 

I stepped out of my room and joined Aron and Jason as they sat by the front door to the house, tying their shoes back on. Jason took notice of my presence and shot Aron a questioning glance, no doubt wondering as what I was doing there. Aron finished tying his laces and stood up, dusting imaginary dirt off from his hands. He pointed back at me over his shoulder with his thumb.

 

Min's joining us.”

 

A look of disappointment flashed across Jason's face briefly before he feigned a smile. “Ok!”

 

I rolled my eyes and glanced off to the side, scoffing. “Is it a problem? I'm his boyfriend after all.”

 

Jason paused for a moment before nervously laughing. “Why would it be?” He jumped up from the floor energetically. “Let's get going! I'm starving!” He said, changing the subject while being the first out of the door. When it was just the two of us left remaining in the house, Aron turned to me and gave me a 'what the hell was that' look. I bit my bottom lip and sheepishly shrugged my shoulders and hurried out after Jason, trying to play off what had just happened. Aron quickly followed after and the three of us climbed into my car that I had hardly been able to drive myself since joining with Pledis. It had been a long time since I had driven, and the short ride into town was almost nostalgic of the days I had rode around before my debut. In those days I was more free, but looking back at it, despite all that had happened recently, I wouldn't change it for the world. I wouldn't have met Aron if I hadn't come to Pledis under the pressure of my 'Stage Mom,' even though she didn't approve of him or rather any of the choices I made. But now this red headed devil was trying to sweep in and take what didn't belong to him...

 

JESUS, MIN! YELLOW MEANS 'SLOW DOWN,' NOT SPEED UP!” Aron screamed beside me from the passenger's seat. He had his hands and knees shielding his face as if he were preparing for impact. I shook out of my daze and hit the breaks as we came to a stoplight, the tires of my car screeching amongst the pavement as it struggled to come to a halt. I felt Jason hit the back of our seats with a forceful impact. Aron glanced over his shoulder. “Ever heard of a seat belt, buddy?” Jason wobbly got up and sat back down in his seat.

 

Woooow....” His voice trailed off. “Again! Let's do that again!” He slapped the back of my seat.

 

This isn't an amusement park ride!” I snapped at him. He immediately stopped and quieted down. I pressed down on the gas pedal as the light turned green again and took off further down the street, the entire time questioning the strange one's age. Aron called him 'hyung,' and Aron was 27. That meant that Jason had to be anywhere from 28 years and up. But judging by his character, he seemed far much younger. I stopped the car as we pulled up in front of a dine-in pizza restaurant. The three of us exited and entered the front of the establishment, immediately sitting down at a circular table inside. I took my spot next to Aron and picked up the menu, scanning through it even though there really wasn't anything that I wanted. I couldn't eat this even if I wanted to. I had just come to make sure Jason kept his distance from Aron. I glanced up from over the menu and realized that Jason had scooted his seat right beside him, their shoulders touching. I glared daggers over at him, silently seething with rage.

 

So Aron, you're from America?” Jason leaned forward on the table with his elbows, resting the side of his head against his hands as he struck up a conversation, purposely excluding me.

 

Aron nodded.

 

That's amazing! Can I practice my self-taught English skills?” He asked. Aron blinked then shrugged.

 

Uh, yeah, sure man, go for it.” Aron replied in English. I couldn't tell what he was saying but the tone in his voice sounded relieved. Outside from that radio show that he did, I'm sure it was rare that he ever got to practice his native tongue. Great... another thing Aron and Jason could bond over. I silently pouted behind my menu.

 

My name... is Jason. I am from... Jeju!” He said with a heavy accent.

 

The name's Aron; I came from LA.”

 

Ah, America! I know, I know!” He replied cheerfully before suddenly looking lost. “Um, um, um... here's my wallet!”

 

A strange look washed over Aron's face as I continued to watch the both of them, not having even the slightest clue as to what they were talking about. Judging by Aron's reaction, Jason probably said something off the wall again. “Um, what?” Aron continued in English.

 

Do not mug me!” Jason continued.

 

Yeah, ok, stop.” Aron replied back in Korean, placing his hand down on the surface of the table. Jason gave him a questioning look. “Just where did you learn your English?”

 

Online YouTube videos. Why?” Jason asked innocently, switching back to Korean.

 

Aron shook his head. “Never mind. Just... don't speak to another foreigner again. Ever.”

 

Why? Was it bad?”

 

Aron looked away, embarrassed. “I don't know you.” He finally glanced my way, as if remembering I was still here. By now I was shaking with anger. How could he just forget that I was here? Was I that insignificant to him? No, keep it together, Minhyun. Do not let jealousy get the best of you. As I was about to burst from rage, the waitress dropped by and took our order. Luckily the small distraction was enough to calm me down. I remained silent, staring down into the checkered table cloth. Jason finally looked my way.

 

You're awfully quiet. Tell me about yourself, Minhyun.”

 

I immediately glanced up at him, startled. “Me?” He nodded, smiling at me. “I'm from Busan. I came to Pledis at nineteen to train. I was the visual for DREAM and am now the lead vocal for 2DREAM...” My voice trailed off. I hated talking about myself. I didn't know what to tell others whenever they asked me that question. It also didn't help that I didn't like the person I was talking to. Jason suddenly extended his arm across the table.

 

Let's become good friends and help each other out. Deal?” He smiled, stilling holding his hand out. I stared down at it, not really wanting to accept his offer of friendship. After all, he was after my boyfriend, wasn't he? This guy was a conman, and a pretty good one. On the outside he was nice, cheerful and friendly, but on the inside he was a man stealer, wasn't he? He played it off as if he wasn't, but I knew better. I knew people like him. Alright, Jason. If you want to hide behind a mask, then two can play at that game.

 

I feigned a smile across my lips. “Deal.”

 

 

 

Ren's POV

 

After receiving Baekho's address from DREAM's manager, I didn't hesitate to make my way over there. I took the bus into town and then switched over to a taxi, riding it down into the residential area near Gangnam province, my heart racing the entire time. I was anxious to get to see him. I hadn't spoken to Baekho since the day of the accident; since then he had been unconscious. I had been heartbroken when I received the news that he had quickly checked out of the hospital and went into hiding shortly after waking back up. The taxi slowed in front of a rather large residence then came to a complete halt. The driver glanced back at me and informed me that we had arrived. I stared out of the window; this place was too grandiose to even be real. Was this really where Baekho had grew up? I had always had a feeling that he had come from a well-off family, but I didn't think that they were this well-off. I never would have imagined that Baekho was this rich. That explained his 'better-than-you' attitude he seemed to wear daily.

 

I paid the cab fare and immediately scrambled out of the car. The taxi drove off as soon as I slammed the door shut. I froze in my steps, staring up at the mansion that was far much bigger than the one DREAM, or rather, 2DREAM now, shared. I couldn't help but feel tiny and miniscule standing outside of it. I took a deep breath, gathering the courage to finally approach the front gate which to my surprise had been left wide open. I raised a brow but kept on walking, stopping once I reached the front door. I glanced off to the side and pressed the buzzer. No response.

 

Was Baekho not home...?

 

I shook my head. It hadn't been but fifteen minutes ago that I had spoken to their manager on the phone; he told me he had just left from Baekho's place and had given me his address. Baekho had to be home. I rang the buzzer again. Once again, silence. I pulled out my cell phone and pulled up Baekho's number, pausing before hitting the call button. Although he had finally accepted me as his friend, I knew our relationship was strained after that almost-kissing incident. Would he answer my phone call, or would he ignore me like old times? I had to find out. I pushed dial and the phone rang several times before finally being sent to voice mail. I hung up then sent him a text, waiting several minutes outside his door without a response. I stared blankly at the front door, beginning to feel defeated.

 

Baekho... are you mad at me?

 

I couldn't think of any possible reason he could be. After knowing Baekho during this relatively short time that I had been interning with Pledis, I realized one thing about him: his moods were rather bipolar. Baekho didn't really ever need a reason to be mad at me. Sometimes he was nice to me, others he had been snapping at me the entire day. Perhaps... was he mad because I wasn't there when he woke up? But that was beyond my control. Yes, I was his friend, but I still had my duty as a teacher to show up to class daily. There were no 'sick days' for educators. If this was the reason why he wasn't answering his phone and ignoring me, I couldn't let it be this way. I began to pound heavily on the door with my fists.

 

Baekho! Open up! Open the door! Please!” I begged, shouting at the top of my lungs. I must have stood out on his front porch for twenty minutes repeatedly banging on the door, only to be met without a response. My heart stung; Baekho, please, don't be this way... don't push me away. I pulled out my phone and called him one last time. No response. My hand fell to my side as I blankly stared at the front door of the house. I clenched my fists into a ball and shook them by my sides before marching angrily back down the walkway. I stopped once I had walked a distance, spinning back around and glaring at one of the several windows. I brought my hands up to my face and screamed out at him. “Ignore me all you want; I'll be back! Baekho, I'm not giving up! I'll be back!”

 

I dropped my hands back down and walked away, feeling broken-hearted that I had come all this way and didn't even get to see him. But I was determined; I needed to see with my own two eyes that he was okay. Until then, I wouldn't be able to rest. What kind of friend would I be if I did otherwise? A terrible one, one that didn't deserve to even be called a friend. I sighed then started to make my way back. I'd be back tomorrow, and the next day after that, and even the one after. I wouldn't stop coming until I finally met face to face with Baekho.

 

 

Later that evening I returned home empty-handed and sullen. As I stepped through the front door I glanced over into the living room to see Minhyun snuggling up against Aron on the couch as they watched a movie together. I smiled at them. It was nice to see them together and happy. At the same time it also made me slightly jealous and made me miss JR even more. JR was across the ocean. I couldn't snuggle, hug or kiss him whenever I wanted to anymore. I felt... lonely.

 

My attention was suddenly torn from them as I spotted movement coming out from the kitchen. I glanced over to see a red head standing in front of the open fridge, staring at its contents. Minhyun looked over the couch and back at him with an annoyed expression written over his face.

 

This is the fifth time you've checked already! Either pick something or don't! Something isn't going to just magically appear; if it would, it would have happened by now! Close the door!”

 

He fake sniffled, still standing in front of the open fridge. “Oh, the way you treat your hyung...”

 

I never called you hyung!” Minhyun replied defensively.

 

Heh, one day you will.” He replied then reached forward and grabbed an awfully familiar bottle of water, one that I had gotten into trouble for drinking out of (at Aron's expense) when I had first moved in. My eyes widened in horror and I dashed over to him, prying the bottle out from his hands. He gave me a wide eyed look.

 

You can't drink this; this is Baekho's-” I paused mid-sentence as I realized that this was probably the last trace of evidence of Baekho having ever been inside of this house. There was a strong tension in the air and I felt Minhyun and Aron's eyes on me. I'm sure it wasn't just me feeling this, but I was certain that we all missed that egotistical jerk.

 

The red head leaned in close to me. Whoever he was, apparently he didn't understand the concept of 'personal space.' He blinked. “Goddamn, you're beautiful.”

 

I immediately took a step back and turned a bright shade of red, not at all having expected that remark, especially from a complete stranger. “Uh, thank you?”

 

No prob! I call it as I see it!” He smiled. “Excuse me, miss, but who are you?”

 

My eye twitched. M-miss? I could hear Aron snickering in the background behind me, followed by a loud slapping sound, probably initiated by Minhyun, before it went quiet once again. I pursed my lips together in annoyance. “It's 'sir,' and I'm 2DREAM's stylist. I live here.”

 

His eyes lit up. “You're a guy?! That makes it even better.” He shot me a wink. I was completely stunned. Who was this strange man standing before me?

 

Who are you?!” I demanded, offended and still completely in shock by this person's strong sense of presence. He smiled then held his hand out.

 

Jason; I'm the new choreographer!” He exclaimed happily. My conversation with JR suddenly replayed back in my mind. So this was the new replacement he had asked about? I gave him an intimidating look-down. Quite normally I was nice and kindhearted towards meeting new people, but this person had already broken several of the unspoken laws of decent human communication. No wonder why Minhyun, generally a decent guy, had been acting so snappy towards him. Jason clasped his hands together and glanced up at the ceiling with stars in his eyes. “Oh, look at all the pretty men here! I knew coming to Seoul was the right thing to do!”

 

I scoffed. “Don't get your hopes up; I'm taken.” I warned, trying to shoot down his hopes before they were risen.

 

Happily?” He asked with a lowered tone and a serious expression written on his face, startling me.

 

W-what?”

 

Jason slapped me on the back roughly, making me wince in pain. “Looks like a 'no.' Aha, we're all going to get along just fine here!” He replied, leaving me standing alone in front of the fridge, frozen in shock. He joined the others inside of the living room and squeezed in a spot between Aron and the armrest to the couch, making room that otherwise wasn't there and forcing the two to scoot over to the side. I placed Baekho's water bottle back inside before shutting the door and spinning around, gripping my fists by my sides. I didn't know what it was about this guy that infuriated me so much, but I had already made up my mind that I didn't like him. How dare he! Who did he think he was to ask me such a personal question about my relationship? I angrily marched over to the front of the couch, blocking their view of the TV. “Heeey! We can't see!” Jason pouted.

 

I pointed my index finger at him. “Apologize, now.” I demanded.

 

Jason smirked then scoffed. “Apologizing just isn't my style.”

 

Well, make it your style. Apologize to me right now; what you did just now was very rude.”

 

I really thought you were a woman; excuse me for making the mix-up.” He replied, acting offended.

 

I laughed. “You think you're the first to make that mistake? I hardly care. I meant about making assumptions about my relationship. Do you know him? Do you know me? Do you know what we're like when we're together? Do you?!” I exclaimed, shaking. It was at this moment I realized something very crucial. Was I trying to convince Jason or myself about my strained, long distance relationship with JR? Jason seemed to take notice of my epiphany and darkly smirked.

 

You had to think about it, didn't you?” He asked. I stared at him with wide eyes before narrowing them.

 

Who are you to interfere?” I spat, both Minhyun and Aron watching me with wide eyes. Besides the times I argued with Baekho, neither of them had ever seen me so riled up before. It was a stark change from my kind, happy-go-lucky vibe I usually wore.

 

Jason stood up, digging his hands into his black jean pockets. “No one. Absolutely no one. Unless you want me to be.” He smirked.

 

What are you implying?” I asked. I had a good idea what he was referring to, but good god, I hoped I was wrong.

 

I sleep with my door unlocked.” He replied then walked past me, pausing once he reached the hall. He spun back around and glanced at Aron. “The offer extends to you as well.” Aron cluelessly blinked while Minhyun immediately shot up from off the couch and started to make his way towards him when I reached forward and locked my arms underneath his elbows, preventing him from going any further. Jason chuckled then disappeared into his room down the hall. Once he was gone I released Minhyun who angrily glared down at Aron, pointing at him.

 

From now on we're sharing a room!”

 

Huh...?”

 

You have ears; use them!” Minhyun scowled, whacking Aron on the side of the head. “He was flirting with you right in front of me!”

 

Aron rubbed his head. “Ow... why do you hit me so much?”

 

Aron!” Minhyun snapped.

 

You're overreacting; he knows we're together. He was just joking.”

 

Aron, he invited you into his room for !”

 

Aron angrily stood up from the couch and stared Minhyun in the eyes. “Who are you?” He asked, startling him. “This overly jealous and insecure person standing in front of me; who are you?”

 

Aron...” Minhyun took a step back, hurt. He shifted his gaze down to the floor, biting his bottom lip before glancing back up at him. He curled his right fist into a ball. “Fine, you big idiot,” he scoffed. “You broke my phone. Why don't you break my heart while you're at it?”

 

Min-” He reached for Minhyun's arm, Minhyun quickly shook him away.

 

Don't touch me. Just do whatever you want. Find your old girlfriend or find happiness with that man-eater; it's all the same to me.” He replied then angrily disappeared down the hall, slamming the door to his room shut behind him. Once he was gone I glanced at Aron, looking at him in disbelief.

 

It's not my place to say this, but my god, Aron, I've never seen such a case of denial. You need to make this right with him before you lose him forever.”

 

Lose...?

 

Aron, it takes two to make a relationship, not just one...” My voice trailed off as I made this painful realization. I went silent for a moment before forcing a smile on my lips and patting his shoulder. I sullenly made my way back to my room, making sure to lock the door behind me just in case that Jason guy got any strange ideas in the middle of the night. My heart ached; I was missing JR like crazy, but at the same time... at the same time my head was full of thoughts for Baekho. I shook my head; you're acting crazy, Ren! You're just worried about Baekho. You don't care for him like that... do you?

 

My phone vibrated in my pocket, startling me. I literally screamed and jumped three feet in the air before quickly pulling it out, having high hopes that it could possibly be Baekho returning one of my several missed calls. To my dismay, it was just my mother, who was requesting a face-time call. I hurried over to my desk and placed the phone standing up and answered her while sitting down in my chair. The screen lit up with her image; she looked dead tired. I raised a brow and lifted my hands up, getting ready to sign to her.

 

Mom, what's wrong? You look-”

 

Old? I feel old.” She didn't wait for me to finish signing before she began. I smiled.

 

You're still as beautiful as ever.”

 

Yeah, but you're prettier. Which isn't fair.”

 

Mom!”

 

Ren, dear, listen. Now don't overreact, but your father was in the hospital.”

 

I stared at her with wide eyes. “What?!” I signed energetically. How could she expect me not to overreact? She rolled her eyes and waved her hand.

 

Oh, it's no big deal. It's just a broken leg.”

 

What in the world happened?!”

 

The klutz fell down the stairs. How shocking. But you know how men are when they're sick; they revert back to big babies. Hun, your father is driving me insane. I can't take it anymore. I'm going to kill him.”

 

Mom!”

 

Ren, dear, I know you're busy with teaching, but if it's not too much trouble to ask, could you please come back home for a little bit to help me take care of that man-child I married? I can't possibly work, run the house and take care of him all by myself.”

 

I paused, thinking back to my internship. It had been written into my contract that I be required to live with DREAM, or rather, 2DREAM now. Moving out would violate one of the terms on my contract, possibly making the entire internship annul and making everything I had worked for, not to mention all the hell these children put me through, all for nothing. I loved my parents, but this was something that I couldn't risk. If it were something worse than a broken leg, of course I would leave in a heartbeat. But right now I had to stay put. Not to mention there was the issue regarding Baekho still pending.

 

Mom, right now isn't a good time. Can't you ask Minseok to do it?” I hesitated before bringing that name up. My mother glanced off to the side, the pain on her face evident.

 

Dear, you know how your brother feels about me... besides, I haven't heard from him since he left for America all those years ago. Your brother... he wants nothing more to do with me. He's always been ashamed of his deaf mother.”

 

Don't say that.” I scolded her.

 

She shook her head. “He would have called at least once, right?”

 

We don't know what his life over there is like. He could be really busy, for all we know. I haven't heard from him either since he left.”

 

Is that so?” She asked. I could see her mood start to lighten up as I continued to reassure her. “Well, dear, if you can get a hold of him and ask him to come home... I'd really appreciate it.”

 

I'll see what I can do, mom. In the mean time, don't kill dad. There's laws against that sort of thing.” My mom smirked then nodded before waving goodbye and ending our call. Once that was over, I turned to my computer and pulled open my e-mail inbox, selecting the last address I had known that belonged to my older brother. I had no idea if he still used it or had discarded it by now; it had been years since I last saw him, so there was no way of knowing. But even still, I had to try. I dropped him a couple of lines before hitting 'send' and closing the browser, tiredly standing up, stretching my arms in the air and collapsing into my bed face-forward.

 

 

 

Baekho's POV

 

I sat motionless on the floor amongst all the shards of glass I had created the other day. I had physically exhausted myself from crying, something which was odd even for me. I hadn't cried in years. The last time I literally had cried was when I had found out what U-ie had done to me, to us. Since then my eyes had remained dry. I guess it only took life-altering events to make the high and mighty Kang Baekho crumble down into a normal human being. Normal? Who was I kidding? I couldn't even call myself normal anymore. I wasn't normal. I was a step beneath that. Ha, could you believe that? I was a step beneath even the regular people of society! I was a handicap, a burden of the city.

 

Bright streaks of sunlight poured in from the blinds and into my room, making me squint. Realization suddenly struck me. How long had I been crying? I reached for my phone to check the time; apparently I had cried all night and into the morning. No wonder why my head was throbbing. As I turned it on, several notifications flashed across the screen, most of them from the same person: Ren. I stared at the phone with wide eyes. Ren had tried to contact me? But I didn't hear it... ha, of course I didn't hear it. Rather than even try to attempt to listen to the voice messages he had left me, I pulled open the string of text messages he had sent:

 

Kang Baekho, I know you hear me! Open the door!

 

Seriously, Baekho? Come on, don't ignore me.

 

Are you mad at me...?

 

Baekho, I'll be back again.

 

My entire body shook and tears filled my eyes once again as I read through Ren's missed text messages. The little punk had visited me? Who asked him to visit? Who asked him to check up on me? Hear? Ren, you know that I can hear you? I can't hear anything! I can't hear anything, dammit! How was I supposed to know... how was I supposed to know you were outside of my door? If I had known... If I had known you were out there, dammit, I would have answered it instead of feeling miserable and alone up here by myself... No, who was I kidding? I didn't want to see him. The last thing I needed was for anyone feeling sorry for me. I didn't need it. I didn't want it.

 

I glanced back down at my phone. Ha. No response from Minhyun. That bastard... he stole everything from me, and now he thinks he could just ignore me like this? After all that I had done for DREAM, for those two jerks, this is the thanks I get? They would be nowhere if it wasn't for me! I built DREAM up from the bottom! No, there's no way they'll be successful without me. They'll fall into ruin in no time. I suddenly laughed as I was reminded of JB's offer. Was he serious? Let him become my music agent? Where was his recording studio?Where was his equipment? Did he even know what producing really was? What an insult! But even still... the tiny, small part of me that hadn't given up hope yet wanted to jump on board with him and agree to his insane proposition. JB was probably my only real chance at getting back into the music scene; nobody else would even glance my way if they truly knew what was wrong with me.

 

I stood up and walked around the broken glass on the floor, exiting my room. I climbed down the stairs and made my way into the kitchen; I hadn't eaten since... well, I didn't exactly know when the last time was. Time had escaped from me ever since I heard my health results. As I entered the kitchen I glanced around; the house was completely empty. Apparently my parents had let the hired help go, leaving me to fend for myself. I opened the fridge and grimaced in disgust. That's right; the only food my parents ever ate was foreign, French food, something which I never understood. They only ate it to class up their image, otherwise I was sure they didn't like it anymore than I did. I ran my fingers through my hair. Dammit. I would have to go out.

 

I glanced over my shoulder and stared at the front door of the house for the longest time. I was unsure of myself. I was scared to go outside, especially by myself. What would happen if I couldn't hear everything that was going on around me? What if there was a saesang lurking the corners, waiting to hurt me, only, I wouldn't know? Going outside... it seemed dangerous. But I knew that the idea to stay inside and never leave my house was equally as ridiculous. I'd have to do it sooner or later. It'd be best to get a head start on it now. I returned to my room and rummaged through my closet, looking for clothes that quite possibly could still fit. I found some luck with an oversized black hoodie. I didn't even bother with the jeans; there's no way my old ones would have still fit. I pulled the hoodie on and kept my own jeans on then headed out the front door, grabbing the keys to one of my parent's spare cars. As I grabbed them, I rattled them, hoping to hear the familiar jingle. Nothing. I pursed my lips together tightly in disappointment and closed the door, heading over to the car and climbing inside. I quickly started it and sped like a bat out of hell down the street, not stopping until I pulled into the parking garage of a grocery store that had been built into the bottom of one of the several shopping malls. I exited the car and slammed the door shut behind me, making my way inside of the store and grabbing a shopping cart on my way.

 

I strolled down each of the isles slowly, leaning against the shopping cart. I winced in pain and frustration as the loud and extremely muffled sounds around me fought their way inside of my ear. But I couldn't understand any of it. It was too much information coming in all at once. My mind couldn't process any of it. It all sounded like one huge blur, making absolutely no sense whatsoever. Instead it pained me. It was like my ear drum was working overtime and couldn't take it anymore. It physically hurt. And it frustrated me, because no matter how hard I tried to focus on the incoming sounds, I couldn't understand any bit of it. I felt my heart start to race as a mini-anxiety attack came over me. My palms started to sweat and I began to feel dizzy. No, Baekho. You can't pass out here. There are too many people here who might recognize you. You can't let this end up on the internet or the media. Calm down, calm down. Tune it out. Just tune all of these indistinguishable noises out. Ignore it.

 

I took a deep breath and tried my best not to pay attention to the blur of sound rattling around in my ear. I continued to walk down each isle, shakily grabbing the things I needed and putting them in the cart as I made my rounds. After making my way down the last isle, as I was headed toward the front cash registers I paused when I noticed a sudden blonde blur behind me through the corner of my eyes.

 

Ren walked up to me with a relieved look on his face. I glanced down at his lips as it seemed like he was talking to me. But of course I didn't hear anything. I couldn't hear his voice. My heart started to race once again. I couldn't let Ren find out. I immediately glanced away, turning my back to him, pretending to ignore him. This sort of behavior shouldn't strike him as odd, should it? This wouldn't be the first time I dissed him. Apparently this move pissed him off and I felt the palm of his hand strike me in the shoulder from behind. I glared back at him. How dare he touch me, that little-

 

Baekho, asdfghjklqwergjbnk-” I couldn't make out the rest of his words. I lessened my gaze at him, a bit depressed that I couldn't understand him and then turned back to the front as it was my turn in line to pay. I gave the clerk my card and she swiped it quickly before handing it back. I placed it back inside of my wallet and shoved it into my back jean pocket. I pushed forward on the shopping car and exited the store, returning back into the parking lot where I stopped in front of my parents' car. I opened the trunk and quickly started putting my belongings inside, trying to hurry away from him. Ren, don't you get it? Don't you realize how uncomfortable you're making me, just by being here? Never mind my feelings for you. I just don't want you to know. It's embarrassing. It's humiliating. I'm supposed to be perfect in front of everyone. I can't let you know just how much of a broken man I really am now.

 

As I finished, I shoved the shopping cart down the parking lot, not caring where it went. I needed to get out of here. Ren was still at my side, pestering me. He was talking to me, but who knew what he was saying. I just couldn't let him catch on. As I returned to the driver's side, as I placed my hand on the door handle Ren reached forward and placed his hand on top of mine to stop me, making me jump. I immediately threw his hand off of me and turned to him angrily. I remained silent, just glaring at him for a moment before pulling open the car door and sliding inside in a hurry. I instantly locked the doors and started the engine, backing the car up in reverse and pulling out from the spot. As I pulled out, through the tinted windows I could see a hurt expression written over his face. I felt a slight flash of pain strike my heart, knowing that I was the one who had put it there. I pretended not to see it and started driving down the isle in the parking lot, a swirl of emotions overtaking me. I felt like a jerk. I felt like a cripple. I felt useless. I felt pathetic. I felt-

 

I don't know what possessed me to do this, but I glanced up into the rear view mirror. To my shock I spotted Ren running down the isle and after me. My eyes grew wide. That idiot! He's going to get himself killed! I immediately stopped the car. As I stopped, Ren stopped in his tracks and observed me. I stared down at the steering wheel, wondering what I should do. I came across a hasty decision and shifted the clutch into reverse, backing the car up and stopping by his side where he stood. I rolled down the window to see a heavily panting blonde silently watching me, waiting for me to speak.

 

Don't waste your time with me here. Didn't you get the news? I'm out.” I replied, keeping my gaze in front of me, refusing to look at him as I spoke these cruel, harsh words. I slightly glanced out of the corner of my eyes to see if he was responding. When I noticed his lips start to move, I cut him off. “What are you, a saesang? Did you follow me here? Instead of focusing on me, focus on those you have left. You and I, we are nothing to each other. Don't show up at my door again.”

 

Ren opened his lips to speak but I didn't want to even pretend to hear it. I rolled up the window and quickly drove off. As I drove forward I glanced back into the rear view mirror to see Ren running after the car again. I took a deep, shaky breath as I exited the parking garage, my heart breaking. Ren, I need for you to go away. Just leave me alone... everyone, please, just go away...

 

 

 

Minhyun's POV

 

I stood in front of the stove, staring off into space while watching water start to boil inside of a pot. I was so angry, so irritated with Aron. When I had stormed off last night, he didn't even go in to check on me or apologize for calling me 'jealous' and 'insecure.' I was only acting that way because he was giving me a reason to. Jason obviously didn't care if Aron was already in a relationship; he was just in it for the . He had even had so much the nerve to hit on Ren when he clearly said that he was in a relationship as well. That guy, he had no boundaries, did he? I shook my head. How could a person live that way in such a disregard to the people around them? I could never do something like try to steal someone else's boyfriend. And then there was Aron. Was he really that clueless? How could he not see something so clearly obvious right in front of him? Did Aron not care as much for me as I did about him? How could he do this to me?

 

I was beginning to grow fed up with his childish attitude. Jason was joking? Since when was a joke? Maybe it was to Aron, but to me it wasn't. Hell, we still had yet to sleep together, and I had a feeling he would be having with Jason first before I even got a chance. I clutched the bottom of my apron furiously. Did that even make sense? Aron was my boyfriend. The only person he should be sleeping with was me! Not to mention I was still angry at him for destroying my phone. I had been so busy lately with our schedule that I still hadn't gotten the chance to go out and buy a replacement. How annoying... Aron, you big jerk!

 

My attention was stolen by the sound of the front door opening and closing, followed by sobs. I immediately reached over and turned the stove off, turning around and dashing over to Ren who had sat down on the couch, sobbing into his hands. I sat down next to him and placed my hand on his back and rubbed it.

 

Ren, what's wrong???” I asked, startled.

 

Ren shook his head, still covering his face with his hands, his body shaking.

 

No, don't tell me nothing is wrong when there clearly is, now open up.”

 

Ren lifted his face out from his hands, looking at me with teary eyes. “I finally met with him today.”

 

I paused. “Baekho...?”

 

Ren nodded. “But he just ignored me like the jerk he is! He ignored me when I showed up at his house earlier this morning. I thought he was just joking around like old times, but he didn't stop.” Ren laughed. “I must be crazy. I even followed him to the grocery store, but he left me standing on the side of the road.”

 

You followed him?” I asked, stunned. That's right; he still didn't know about Baekho's hearing loss. Ren... Baekho, he wasn't ignoring you... but, it's not my place to say anything. I made a promise to him. As much as I'd like to tell you, seeing how much pain this is bringing you, I can't. I really, really can't. I must as a friend, don't I? Are you going to hate me too now?

 

Ren angrily stood, still in tears. “He told me to get lost. If that's the case, then that's what I'll do. I'm sorry I ever wasted time thinking I could change that scumbag!” He replied, taking a step forward when I suddenly reached out to him and grabbed the hem of his shirt, stopping him.

 

Wait!” I exclaimed. Ren paused and glanced back at me. “Don't... don't give up on him, Ren.”

 

What?” He asked, annoyed.

 

Don't leave him alone. That guy... he could really use a friend right now.”

 

He clearly pushed me away-”

 

Because that's what Baekho does!” I snapped. “Don't you know anything about him after living with him for such a time? When people get too close to him, he pushes them away because he's afraid they'll leave him, just like his parents did!”

 

Ren stared at me with wide eyes. “What...?”

 

Baekho... he has a fear of being forgotten. By anyone. It stems from his childhood. I'm sure he's told you this before; his parents were never around. He wasn't well-liked at the trainee academy either. His fans and you are all he has left... Who knows about his fans. But Ren, please, don't hurt him... he already feels like Aron and I betrayed him... don't hurt Baekho...” My voice trailed off. “Don't leave him too.”

 

I... I don't know what to say...” Ren replied, looking distraught.

 

I got down on my knees in front of him and begged. “Please!”

 

Ren sniffled. “Hey, stop, get up!” He replied uncomfortably. “That was just anger-talk. You know me; since when am I one to just give up because Baekho asked me to?” I froze before sitting back on the couch, a slight smile spreading across my face. That's right; I had forgotten that Ren could be as stubborn as Baekho at times. I giggled slightly.

 

Never.”

 

Ren smiled. “I'm not done with Baekho. If he's acting this way, obviously there's something else bothering him besides his removal from DREAM. I'm determined to find out what it is and help him, no matter what.”

 

I smiled back at him. “I'm glad.” Yes, Ren, don't give up. Help him...

 

RIIIIIIING~~~~~!

 

The sound of the gate buzzer rang throughout the house. The two of us exchanged strange glances; who could that possibly be? Our schedule was clear until this evening. It couldn't have been JB or anyone else affiliated with Pledis.

 

Jason suddenly came running out from the hall, his arms extended. “Oh, oh, I'll get it!” He said then pushed past us, stopping at the monitor hanging on the wall beside the front door. Aron slowly emerged from out of his room and joined the three of us, peering over our shoulders.

 

You don't even live here; why should you get it?” I snapped.

 

I do too!” He exclaimed.

 

Yeah, but you don't know anybody here in Seoul!”

 

I can't help it that I'm a people-person!” Jason fought back. The four of us peered up at the image of the person standing in front of the gate. Standing before us, well, I don't know how else to put it, but he looked like a movie star. He was tall, slender, had pale white skin and long brown hair that fell over his face, his eyes shielded by dark sunglasses. He wore a white dress shirt with long black jeans, leaving the first few buttons of his blouse left undone, revealing the silver cross and chain he wore around his neck and his slightly toned chest. The moment Jason and I locked eyes on him we were both starstruck.

 

Jason bit his knuckles. “My god, he's more beautiful than Aron...” His voice trailed off.

 

I snapped out of my daze of admiration and glared at him. “HEY!” I was about to lunge at him but he ducked down, avoiding my swing.

 

Ren's mouth draped open. “H-hyung...?!”

 

 

 

~

A/N: Sorry guys, don't mean to interrupt the story here. I don't usually tend to do footnotes as I find them a distraction from the story itself, but I always give credit where credit is due. I wanted to give a shout out to Chubbyface for helping me come up with the name for the new sub-unit, “2DREAM.” Many thanks! I hope you guys are enjoying 'The Sound of Your Heart' so far, and please, drop me a line for those of you who haven't already done so! ^^