what's an idol?

a b2utiful engagement. {Hiatus}

 

Her POV

 

I chase my cereal around with my spoon. “Halapoji, when were you going to tell me about this?”

He folds his arms across his chest and looks at me sternly. “I decided to tell you now.”

I drop my face and look at the frosted O’s now too soggy to eat. “When did it happen?”

He braces himself against the table with his hands lifting himself up to a standing position. “It was something that your grandmother and I proposed at your birth.”

I flinch. Could he stop using that word?

“When do I leave for Korea?” I ask pushing the mush away.

“Three days.”

It takes just about everything I have not to get angry.

“As long as you remember everything that I’ve taught you, you’ll be fine. Not much has changed in the past forty years.”

“Halapoji, will she be there?”

He sighs. “Not in Seoul.”

I slump back into my chair. This doesn’t seem fair.

--

I exit the gate and look for anyone with a sign saying my name or possibly even loser. What’s that boy’s name again? Yang Tae Soon? …no that’s not it. Yang…Yang..

“ShinHee!” I look up at a girl waving her hands fiercely and running towards me.

“Annyohaseyo…who are you?”

She looks at me puzzled. It’s a simple question. Right? I mean, everyone has one…a name that is.

“Aigoo~ so sorry, I’m Yang HaeYeon. I’m going to be your sister-in-law.”

I let out a huge sigh. Don’t I have a say in the matter?

“Have you ever been to Korea?” HaeYeon asks walking me to the baggage claim.

“Anni, this is my first time out of the country.”

She claps her hands enthusiastically. “Omo, we should celebrate!”

I can’t help but smile, she’s too adorable. “Where is Oppa?” I know it’s too early to call him that, but seeing as I don’t remember his name…

“Oh, dongsaeng couldn’t make it. He got wrapped up with work, but you’ll meet him today,” she cheers.

I stop in the middle of the walkway. “…wait. You just said he was your younger brother.”

She nods, “His three years younger than me.”

I swallow. This girl can’t be older then nineteen. If he’s younger than her then we have a serious problem.

“Ah, I see what you’re getting at,” she laughs to herself. “I know this is hard to believe, but I’m twenty-four, dongsaeng is twenty-one.”

I grab her by the arm, “Jinjja?”

She bursts with laughter. “Dae, you know you look pretty young yourself.”

I laugh, she has a point. I’m always mistaken for a sixteen-year-old.

“How many bags do you have?” she asks and I look around trying to stop the grey striped luggage.

“Two.” I look at her and then everyone else. “Unni, is this how people usually dress?”

“What did you expect?” she giggles.

“Halapoji told me what to bring. Unni, other than what I’m wearing now, I only brought Hanboks.”

Her eyes widen, “you’re lying.”

I shake my head.

“Well,” she sighs placing her hands at her hips. “I guess we’re just going to have to take dongsaeng’s credit card and go shopping.”

I pick up one of my bags. “Anni, I have money.”

“Dongsaeng owes you a wedding present. A wardrobe is no problem.”

“Unni, it’s not that big of a deal, and please don’t talk about the wedding.”

“Nonsense, it’s not like he can’t afford it anyways, and besides you two are engaged.”

I cringe. “We’ll talk about the wedding and everything after we meet.”

She picks up the matching luggage and retracts the handle. “Kaja! Let’s go meet the prince.”

I take her hand and we sway our arms in unison. When I get this engagement thing straightened out, I think we can be close friends instead of in-laws.

--

“Unni, is this where you live?” I ask as she pulls up to a huge house.

“Anni, this is the family estate. I have an apartment in the city like dongsaeng. I’m going to be staying here for the most part while you’re in Korea.” She turns to me with an innocent grin. “You’re going to be my sister soon, so of course I want to spend as much time with you as possible.”

My smile slowly dissolves. I feel like I’m taking advantage of her kindness. I’m only in Seoul to break the engagement and possibly see my mom.

“ShinHee, kaja!”

“If you want you can take a shower once we get inside. I know it was a long plane ride.”

I drag my bags up walk way and try not to gawk at the mansion.

“That would be great.”

She shows me to the guest room and sets my luggage in the corner. “It’s so big,” I awe pushing my back to the wall.

“Yep, big enough for you and dongsaeng.”

I slowly turn my head. “I’m sorry, I think I misunderstood you.”

She shakes her head. “No, you heard me right. You and dongsaeng are sharing this room.”

I swallow and smack my hands on both sides of my face. “ShinHee, you’re not dreaming. It may seem like one, but you’re fully awake.”

My eyes find their way to her, “where’s the bathroom?”

--

I wrap my body in a towel and walk back to the guest room.

The room engulfs me, ceiling nearly two stories high and décor that looks straight from a Korean history book.

“Hyung, I told you, I’ve got everything under control. No, no.”

I look up at a boy maybe five six talking on his phone. His eyes look at me and he covers his face.

“Annyo! I’ll be leaving.” He turns around and slams the door after him.

I didn’t even get the change to scream or the chance to yell at him. He simply walked in and walked out. I guess that was my fiancé.

--

 

His POV

 

“Hyung, I’ll call you back,” I say ending DooJoon’s call.

Oh sh-t! I just walked in on her. Her! My fiancé! I was hoping to make a good first impression and now this? What are my grandparents going to say? Will she tell them? Aish~ this is all their fault anyways.

“Dongsaeng~” HaeYeon sings.

“Wae?”

“Did you see her yet? She’s so cute! And she’s really sweet,” Nuna squeals mixing batter for a cake.

“Anniyo, I didn’t exactly see her.” That’s right; I walked in, caught a glimpse and ran my out of there.

“Aigoo, you’ll like her,” she says pinching my cheek. “I think the two of you will get along.”

I sigh, “We better. If I don’t go through with the engagement I’ll never get Halapoji and Halmunee’s approval for being an idol.”

HaeYeon looks at me and snorts. “You shouldn’t be doing this for their sake. You need to explore the chance that you and this girl might actually have a connection, a greater propose in each other’s life!” she holds her spatula up into the air as if pointing to the sun.

“Nuna, I think you seriously need to see a doctor.”

She looks at me and waves the kitchen utensil, “You need to realize that you are and idol now and there is nothing our grandparents can do about it. You don’t have to live for them.”

She has a point. I mean this is who I am, but I just wish that they would support me even a little. HaeYeon is studying to become a doctor so they’re proud of her. I’m just their grandson who happens to sing and happens to be an idol.

“We’re home.”

Speak of the devils.

“Where is she?” Halmunee asks setting her purse down on the counter. “How does she look?”

“She just got out of the shower and is changing,” Nuna answers pouring the mix into a container.

“Have you seen her yet?” Halapoji asks patting me on the back.

I squirm. “Not exactly.”

“I can go get her. I think she should be ready by now,” Nuna volunteers closing the oven.

“Please do,” Halmunee grins with excitement.

HaeYeon leaves and comes back only seconds later.

“Halmunee, Halapoji, this is ShinHee.”

The girl appears in a light peach Hanbok and bows deeply to my grandparents.

“Annyohaseyo, Kim ShinHee eem ni da.”

They begin to clap and she looks up at them nervously.

I look at ShinHee’s face. She’s cute, which is actually an understatement. Her eyes are wide but set under mono lids, lips full and pink, skin pale and smooth.

“ShinHee you look so beautiful, just like your mother,” Halmunee says getting teared up.

ShinHee’s eyes widen and her lips tighten at the corners making her look alarmed and a little frightened.

“This is our grandson,” Halapoji says motioning to me.

Her eyes meet mine for the first time and she only stares. I brace myself for her to squeal or do something, but she merely blinks.

“You might have heard of my brother’s idol group, Beast,” Nuna says trying to break the tension.

Maybe ShinHee just can’t remember my face. There are plenty of idols out there right now, I’m sure it’d be easy to get confused.

“There are Gugak bands?” she asks furrowing her brow.

I laugh. She’s joking…right?

“Anni, I’m a singer for the idol group Beast.”

He looks at me puzzled. “What is an idol group? The word idol in English means a god-like figure. I don’t think it’s a perfect translation.”

“Dongsaeng is in a boy group,” Nuna says placing a hand at my shoulder.

I feel an arrow shot through my heart, way to kill my pride sis. You know I hate the term ‘boy band.’

“Anniyo, I’m sorry. I still don’t know what you’re talking about,” ShinHee apologizes.

HaeYeon starts to explain put I cover and bow to ShinHee.

“Annyohaseyo, Yang YoSeob eem ni da.”

This could be better than I expected.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

i've like B2St for a while but i've recently really started to get into their music. when i found out that Yoseob was older than me, i flipped out...i felt like a stupid nuna for the longest time too. *sighs* why don't asians age? i look like i'm sixteen, but that's only a few years off unlike a bunch of idols. gahhh....

I hope you liked the first chapter (i'm trying to keep this story relatively short)

much love,

meng.