Chapter 7 – The Answer

He's Gone

Donghae’s POV

                Minutes passed. I still have my eyes closed and Hyukjae still hasn’t said anything. God. What if he hates me now? I can’t take that. He can ignore me or even reject me but please, not hate me. I don’t want Hyukjae to hate me.

                I was busy with my thoughts that I got startled when I felt hands on my face. I opened my eyes and found Hyukjae cupping my face with his hands. He looked me in the eyes and I feel like he’s reading my mind.

                “I never realized I’m hurting you. I’m sorry, Hae. I didn’t know.” He looks regretful. I don’t like that. It’s not even his fault.

                “Don’t apologize, Hyuk. It’s not your fault. I chose to hide it from you.” I held his hands that are still cupping my face.

                He looked me in the eyes again. I think he’s trying to read my emotions. He caressed my cheeks with his thumbs and sat down again.

                “Hae, you know I can’t return your feelings.” He started. He looked hesitant in his next words when I cut him out. “I’m not asking you to return my feelings. I just wanted you to know. I don’t want to make you feel guilty either. I know very well that you hate commitments.” I smiled at him.

                He smiled back but his smile doesn’t reach his eyes. I reached out and caressed his cheek.

                “Come on, Hyuk. Don’t feel bad now. I’m happy that I finally told you what I’ve been keeping all these years.”

                He held my hand and looked at me again. “But I want you to know that I’m happy you told me. I don’t want you hurt, Hae-ah.” With that said and the soft look in his eyes, my eyes began to tear.

                I feel warm inside. He rejected me but at least he accepted my feelings for him. He acknowledged and that’s all I want. I just want to let him know so that I won’t hold myself back, afraid that he might read my actions. Now, I can freely show him how much I love him.

                I smiled at him and told him that we should finish our dinner so we can relax for the rest of the night.

Third Person’s POV

                After dinner, Hyukjae and Donghae decided to watch movies for the rest of the night. They watched Donghae’s favourite movies, Finding Nemo and Titanic. Hyukjae’s not really a fan of animated movies and romantic movies but he can’t do anything because it’s Donghae we’re talking about here, the forever stubborn fish who’ll sulk to get his way with things.

                In the midst of watching Titanic, Hyukjae felt something heavy fell on his shoulder. He looked over and saw that Donghae fell asleep.

                ‘Aish, this fish. Insisting to watch this movie then falling asleep over it.’ He thought.

                He continued to watch over Donghae’s features. Several thoughts about Donghae’s confession ran around his head.

Hyukjae’s POV

                I never noticed his feelings. Was I that dumb or am I that insensitive? I didn’t even know that I’m hurting him unknowingly. I feel so guilty over those but what can I do? I can’t bring myself to accept him. I know he already has a place in my heart but it’s nothing more than friendship and I don’t want commitments. Relationship and commitments just bring problems. I have enough to think about. I don’t need any addition.

                I caressed his hair and kissed his temple.

                “Sorry, Hae. Someday you’ll find someone who’ll return your feelings. That someone’s just not me.”

                I picked him up then walked to his room. I laid him down on the bed and covered him with the blanket.

                “Goodnight, Hae. Sweet dreams.”

Third Person’s POV

                The next morning, Donghae woke up with a smile on his face. He took his shower happily, taking his time. He brushed his teeth longer than the usual time he does. He chose his clothes for almost an hour, making himself presentable enough for Hyukjae. Well, they aren’t going anywhere. Donghae just wanted to be presentable in front of Hyukjae.

                After preparing for the morning, Donghae started to cook their breakfast. He also prepared a lunch box for Hyukjae. It wasn’t the first time he prepared a lunchbox for Hyukjae but he doesn’t do it often. He just prepares it when he felt like it. Weird, right?

                As Donghae was busy with what he’s doing, he didn’t notice Hyukjae enter the kitchen. He got startled when Hyukjae pulled a chair that he jumped and his fingers touched the pan.

                “Oh, ! ! ! It hurts.” He quickly put his hand under the faucet and let the water soothe his fingers.

                Hyukjae was also startled by Donghae’s reaction, he didn’t even realize that Donghae’s fingers got burned. He was staring wide eyed at Donghae when Donghae suddenly shouted at him.

                “Yah, Hyukjae! You shouldn’t scare me like that when I’m cooking. Look what happened. My poor fingers.” He looked sadly at his fingers under the tap.

                “Sorry. I didn’t know you weren’t paying any attention to your surroundings.” Hyukjae answered and went to Donghae. “Does it hurt that bad? Let me see.”

                When Hyukjae got to Donghae, he saw Donghae’s teary eyes. He wiped Donghae’s tears away and kissed his forehead.

                “I’m sorry, Hae. I won’t do it again. Now, let me just get the ointment from the first aid kit. Put your hand under the tap until I return, okay?” Hyukjae rushed to the bathroom for the ointment.

                Without Hyukjae’s knowledge, Donghae was smiling widely after Hyukjae left. Donghae wasn’t lying that his fingers are hurt. He’s just overwhelmed with Hyukjae’s concern.

                Hyukjae returned in no time. He quickly attended to Donghae’s fingers then he continued that Donghae was doing.

                When Hyukjae was finished preparing everything, they started eating in silence.

                “I’m finished. I’ll go to work now. Don’t wait for me. I might come home late.” Hyukjae said as he stood up and picked up his things.

                Donghae quickly got up and sent Hyukjae to the door.

                “Bye, Hyuk. Take care.” Donghae waved goodbye as Hyukjae entered his car and drove away.

                Donghae closed the door with a smile on his face. At least he can show his care for Hyukjae without any restrains.

                While Hyukjae ...

                Hyukjae drove away with a heavy heart and the thought of making Donghae hate him.


It's christmas break, everyone! :> I'll try to update again before the resume of classes. 

Comments are much appreciated, guys. Thank you. :)

Love lots, yfishy <3