Chapter 4 – The First Night

He's Gone

Hyukjae’s POV

                The reception was just finished and we are now on our way to our new house. Our parents bought us a house as a wedding gift.

                You may be wondering why I didn’t put up a fight regarding this arranged marriage thingy.

                My parents have always been the ones who are making decisions for me. Ever since I was a child, that’s how it goes. I can’t choose my friends. I can’t even choose my toys and even my food. They will always be the one to decide. I never get to have a say in anything, in everything.

                To be honest, my own will died since I was a kid. I just go with what they want. I tried going against them lots of times before but nothing worked. I tried rebelling. I tried to reason. I even tried running away from home and cutting myself hoping that they’d be scared to lose me and let me have my own will. But nothing worked. They got scared, yes, but in the end, I always get yelled at.

                They always say that everything they are doing is for me but I don’t see it. What I see is that they are controlling my life and I can’t do anything about it because I always lose to them. I always follow them because even though I became cold because of them, they are still my parents. I still have a soft spot for them and I don’t want to disappoint them.

                How ironic my life is. I want to get away from them but at the same time, I want to please them.

                Now, back to the present.

                Donghae has always been quiet since we got in the car. He never said a word to me and he looks uncomfortable. He keeps looking on the window, playing with his fingers or just looking down at his lap. I took the time to observe him.

                Honestly, I know Donghae, really. I bet he doesn’t know that I know him but come on, we attend the same school. It’s not possible not to know him because we belong to the same class of students. I mean, we’re both considered as a prince in our school, right? I may act like I don’t care but I observe my surroundings. I take note of what’s happening around me. I just show that I care about nothing.

                Observing him, I notice how his skin looks smooth and soft. I want to touch but I’m afraid I might scare him. We never really get to talk properly since our first meeting.

                I also notice his long lashes, his thin lips, his cute nose and his brown eyes. I didn’t know he’s this handsome.

                He suddenly raised his view.

                . He caught me. What to doooo?

                “Hyukjae-ssi, is there something on my face?” He asked.

                “Uhm. Nope, nothing.” I answered.

                “Okay.”

                Then he looked at the window again.

                Sigh.

                I looked at him again and noticed his pink cheeks.

                Is he blushing? Cute.

                I smiled secretly and looked away.

                We were silent after that, too awkward to even talk to each other.

                When we got to our new house, I decided to talk to Donghae about our arrangement.

                I sat on the sofa and called to Donghae, “Donghae-ssi, sit here. We need to talk and decide on how things are going to be.”

                He slowly walked towards the sofa and sat next to me.

                “Is there anything you want to tell me? Like rules or something?” I asked.

                I honestly don’t know what I want to do. I need to know what he wants first before thinking about mine.

                “Nothing really. Just ... Can we be friends? I mean, I know there’s no feelings involved that’s why we can’t act like a couple when we’re alone. So, can we act as friends?” He shyly said.

                “Okay, then. We can be friends but we need to act like a couple when we’re around other people.” I smiled at him.

                “How about you? Are there any restrictions between us?”

                “Hmm. Since we agreed to be friends, I guess, nothing then?” I answered slowly, still thinking if I want us to have limitations as friends.

                He offered his hands for a handshake and I gladly took it. We smiled to each other then I walked to explore the house.

                The living room is spacious. The dining room is just enough for the two of us. There are three bedrooms and four bathrooms, one on each of the bedrooms and another one near the dining room.

                I walked back to the living room and saw Donghae quietly sitting there.

                “Donghae, I’m going to sleep now. There are two more bedrooms. Just choose which one you want to use. Goodnight!” I called to him.

                “Goodnight, Hyukjae-ssi.” He answered.

                “Drop the ssi. We’re friends now, right?” I smiled at him then entered the bedroom.

                Ah~ what a tiring day. Weddings sure are tiring.

                I changed to my pyjamas then lied down on the bed.

                Yep, there are clothes here because our parents thought that it would be a good idea if the house came with clothes and other needs.

                I closed my eyes and soon, sleep took me.

Donghae’s POV

                I was still sitting on the sofa minutes after Hyukjae entered his bedroom. I still can’t believe what just happened. I can’t believe that Hyukjae and I are friends now. Imagine being friends with your long time crush and first love.

                I was shocked when he agreed to be friends with me. I thought he’d turn me down. I didn’t expect such reaction from him knowing his cold personality at school.

                Slapping my face and pulling myself together, I stood up and went to one of the bedrooms.

                I was tired from the wedding and I need to rest early so I can prepare breakfast for Hyukjae like a good wife.

                I blushed and giggled at that thought.

                For Hyukjae, we may not be a married couple. But for me, I’ll do everything I can to be the best wife Hyukjae can have.

                I took a shower before going to bed to relax my mind.

                Everything that happened today caused me to be out of this world. It’s just too good to be true. Being friends with him is more than enough for me. At least he let me be by his side and that’s all I want. To take care of him, to pamper him, to give him everything I can.

                With being a perfect wife in mind, I lied on my bed, thought of everything I want to do with Hyukjae, and fell asleep.


Sorry, I took long in updating chapter 4 :(

So we can see here that Hyukjae's not that cold. He just uses that as a mask so that his parents won't see him as someone easy. The same reason applies to why he plays the cold person at school. He doesn't want students to bother him and he doesn't want anything to do with any of them either.

Just ask if you get confused. :)

Love lots,

yfishy <3