05. B A B Y S I T T I N G

A Hundred Ways to Love

Pairing; Heechul/Jessica [HeeSica]

Word Count; 2,010


Naturally, out of all the options Kim Heechul had to choose from to assist him in his chores today, he chose Jessica.

Jessica, out of all people, would have to aid that idiot in taking care of a child.

Doesn’t he know I’m horrible with kids? Jessica thought irritably to herself.

She walked a few more paces to a very familiar park that she often ventured off to as a child herself. A smile crept its way on to her face as she saw the same old trees, the same old benches, the same old people, even. Deeper in, the unmistakably vivid colors of a playground caught Jessica’s eye. She quickened her pace towards the red, yellow, and blue.

“Yah, Jessica!”

The brunette’s head snapped to the swings, and her pupils instantly registered the infamous smirk of Heechul. That, and his messy mop of black hair.

“Sorry I’m late,” Jessica murmured, stumbling over to the swings.

A little girl who looked to be around four years old was sitting in one of the baby swings. She was spinning herself around, rather than swinging, yet she was giggling.

Jessica cracked a smile and Heechul snorted. “Hey, looks like you are human.”

On any other occasion, she surely would have smacked him upside the head, but today was different. She bent down and smiled gently at the little girl. “So who’s this?”

The girl grinned back at Jessica with pearly white teeth. Heechul had to smile too, and he answered, “Her name’s Soohee.”

Jessica simply nodded, giving Soohee a little push on the swing.

“She’s Donghae’s niece.”

Jessica stood straight up again and realization dawned on her. “I thought she looked familiar...”

“You two have met?” Heechul raised an eyebrow.

“Sort of,” Jessica shrugged. “Why are you babysitting Donghae’s niece?”

“He’s ah, quote, busy,” Heechul rolled his eyes, and made air quotes, obviously not believing his dongsaeng’s lie.

“So why in the world did you call me, on my one free Saturday morning?” Jessica folded her arms impatiently and waited for a response.

“I knew it’d annoy you,” Heechul chuckled darkly.

“Of course,” Jessica huffed.

“Well, come on!” Heechul rose from his swing and lifted Soohee out of hers, setting her carefully down on the ground.

“Where are we going?” Jessica wondered aloud.

“Wherever she wants to go,” Heechul looked down at the seemingly innocent Soohee.

“Can we go to the fair?” Soohee piped up in her sweet, girlish voice.

Heechul opened his mouth for a retort, but Jessica cut him off. “Sure thing, Soohee-yah; Heechul-oppa will pay for anything.”

Heechul’s face scrunched up in irritation. “Yah, I’m not a bank, Jung Jessica.”

A bus ride later, the trio found themselves in a long line at the entrance.

“Unnie is so nice,” Soohee complimented, after Heechul unwillingly paid the admission fee.

“I’m making sure you have the best day ever, okay?” Jessica smiled kindly, patting the child’s head.

“And pretty too,” Soohee added with a giggle.

“Why are you so nice to her?” Heechul grunted.

“Shut up and buy her some cotton candy.” Jessica demanded forcefully.

Heechul found it useless to argue against the fierce brunette and just pulled out his wallet with a deep sigh. “Blue or pink?”

“Pink!” Soohee cheered.

“Maybe I should’ve called Taeyeon or something,” Heechul mumbled regretfully, handing over his money to the man at the cotton candy stand.

“What was that?” Jessica called, striding up to him, holding hands with Soohee.

“Nothing, nothing, get off my back, woman!”

Before Jessica could strangle the man in public, Donghae’s niece began to speak.

“Can we play some games?” Soohee asked with a mouth full of cotton.

 She pointed to the various booths with different types of games. The prizes all appeared to be tempting. There were giant stuffed animals, pandas and other creatures, in addition to real-life animals, like goldfish. Heechul’s eyes lighted up upon noticing that one of the booths had Super Junior plushies as prizes.

“We’re playing that one!” Heechul declared, seizing Jessica’s free hand and dragging the two girls to the booth.

“This game looks hard,” Jessica mused, putting a hand on her chin. “Are you sure you wanna try?”

“Oh, Sica, don’t doubt me now,” Heechul slapped a bill on the counter with a confident smirk.

“What do you have to do?” Soohee whispered to Jessica.

Jessica cupped her hand around Soohee’s ear and answered. “You get one ball to knock down all of those bottles.”

“But there’s,” Soohee paused to count quickly, “Ten bottles!”

“That’s what I’m saying,” Jessica shook her head at Heechul, who was cracking his knuckles and examining the ball carefully.

“Yah, ahjussi, you going anytime soon?”

“Be quiet, I’m trying to concentrate,” Heechul snapped back, narrowing his eyes at the difficult target.

The man at the booth yawned, clearly bored.

Like a bolt of lightning, the ball flew out of Heechul’s hands, bolting straight at the ten bottles stacked like a pyramid. The sound was sharp as all the bottles dead in the middle fell, and the rest went tumbling down. It was the greatest thing Jessica had ever witnessed, well, today, anyway. Soohee’s eyes grew round and wide and she giggled giddily.

The man raised an eyebrow, surprised. “Hey, not bad there! You can pick two things, any two you want, for winning.” he retreated to his seat and pulled out a magazine.

“Donghae!” Soohee pointed, getting on her tiptoes and stretching.

Jessica laughed at the girl’s attempt and told Heechul to get it for her. Heechul jumped and snagged the Donghae plushy, handing it to Soohee with one of his rare genuine smiles.

“Here, Soohee-yah,” he said.

“Gomawoyo, Heechul-oppa!” Soohee thanked, hugging his leg.

“Nice work, Heechul-oppa,” Jessica teased.

Heechul jumped again and his hand grabbed at a stuffed version of himself. When he landed back on the ground, he put the doll in Jessica’s hands, with a playful grin.

“W-Why are you giving this to me?” Jessica questioned, turning the soft, inanimate version of Heechul over in her hands.

He simply shrugged mysteriously. “Keep it, alright?”

Jessica simply nodded, not knowing what else to say.

The sun was beginning to set, as the sky was turning various warm shades of orange and gold. Jessica decided that the three of them would do one last thing before returning Soohee home. Heechul told Soohee to pick something for them to do. She chose the biggest, grandest thing present at the carnival--the Ferris wheel.

The line moved alarmingly quickly, and soon, the bunch found themselves at the front. The woman allowed the three of them to share a car together, since Soohee was very small. Their gleaming red car was slowly ascending to the top, and Soohee was babbling about how excited she was to see the view from a high point.

“So was today fun?” Heechul nudged Jessica’s knee with his.

“It was fun,” Jessica said finally, smiling.

“Then I didn’t waste your Saturday,” Heechul smirked.

“Congratulations, Kim Heechul,” Jessica sighed, putting her chin in the palm of her hand.

She was aware of Heechul sitting very close to her, and Soohee sitting across from them with her seatbelt buckled carefully. She was chewing some leftover cotton candy while making her Donghae toy dance, which was a very endearing sight to both Heechul and Jessica. Jessica turned her attention to the people below. She stared down and wondered what everyone else was doing, what was going on for them that day.

“Hey,” Heechul said, breaking the tranquil silence.

“Mm?” Jessica continued gazing out of the car; up at the vibrant sky, the colors were blending beautifully together, and it was truly a sight to behold.

“Do you and Donghae still...?” Heechul trailed off, growing quiet, which was unusual for him.

Jessica’s eyes tore away from the sky, and she frowned. “Donghae? We’re friends.”

Heechul nodded once, and began focusing on Soohee. “I was just wondering.”

“Right,” the brunette refused to believe a single thing this guy was saying.

“Heechul-oppa, Jessica-unnie,” Soohee spoke up.

“Yeah?”

“What’s wrong?”

Soohee’s eyebrows furrowed, like she was thinking deeply about something. “Are Heechul-oppa and Jessica-unnie together?”

Heechul and Jessica’s eyes widened to the size of saucers simultaneously.

“Together...” Jessica repeated.

“Hyuk-oppa and Hyo-unnie are dating. What about Heechul-oppa and Jessica-unnie?” Soohee persisted, curious.

“No, it’s nothing like that.” Heechul dismissed. “That would never happen.”

Perhaps she was feeling brave, stupid, tired, or a mixture of the three. Either way, Jessica was feeling quite irrational at the moment, because she blurted out, “And why would it never happen?”

Heechul looked taken aback and remained speechless.

“Why is it impossible,” Jessica continued, not knowing where she was going, “For us to be...”

“I just always thought...” Heechul laughed weirdly. “You never seemed to be...”

“You get on my nerves, you drive my up the wall, you’re rude and obnoxious, conceited, and aggressive, but...” Jessica almost laughed. “For some reason, those traits of yours have grown on me, I guess.”

“So what are you saying?” Heechul urged.

“Jessica-unnie loves Heechul-oppa?” Soohee inquired innocently, wearing a matching cherubic expression.

Jessica flushed. “Well, I don’t know if exactly--it’s kind of complicated, Soohee-yah--”

Heechul said nothing as Jessica babbled mindlessly. A small smile spread on his face, to his slight surprise.

On the way back to Donghae’s house, Soohee skipped ahead of the pair, humming a sweet, cute tune that she created on the bus ride home. It was honestly, a pointless tune, yet the way Soohee sang the song made it seem like the most important melody she knew.

“Soohee-yah, did you have fun?” Donghae asked with a grin, lifting the girl up in the air and setting her back down gently on both feet.

Soohee giggled and nodded. “Yes, Heechul-oppa and Jessica-unnie were very nice to me!”

Donghae smiled at Jessica and gazed at his hyung. His eyes lingered on Heechul for a moment longer, twinkling playfully, like they knew a secret. “That sounds great. Well, your daddy’s here now, so come in.”

Soohee waddled past Donghae into the house and Donghae smiled again at both Heechul and Jessica. “Hey, thanks for playing with her today, you guys.”

“No problem, it was fun,” Jessica responded first, nodding.

“Cute toy,” Donghae remarked with a wink.

Jessica looked down at her hands, which were cradling the stuffed Heechul doll from the carnival. Flushing, she stammered, “T-Thanks, but it’s--”

“Well, thanks again!”

Slam!

“What a rude dongsaeng,” Heechul rolled his eyes. “I’ll have to yell at that kid tomorrow and teach him some manners.”

“You and I both know you’d never yell at Donghae,” Jessica shook her head.

“You and I both know that I’m a bipolar person, Sica,” Heechul countered, removing his hands from his hoodie pockets.

“You and I both know that this argument is going nowhere, right?” Jessica smirked.

“Do you and I both know that I love you?”

Jessica’s jaw dropped a bit and her eyes rounded. “Eh, say that again?”

“I didn’t say anything,” Heechul whistled coolly, walking away from the house.

Jessica ran to catch up with him. “Hey, don’t lie to me, Kim Heechul!”

“It’s nothing important for now, Sica.”

The time isn’t right, right now. I don’t know when it will be...

“Kim Heechul, I have half a mind to kick you,” Jessica grumbled, interrupting his thoughts while walking grumpily at Heechul’s side, as their arms occasionally brushed up against each other.

“Do it, then,” Heechul taunted.

...

“OW!”

“I was serious.”

“I’m stupid.”

“You finally admitted it,” Jessica smiled teasingly.

The bizarre pair continued down the sidewalk, with only a centimeter between them. Heechul wondered if Jessica felt like her heart was leaping out of his throat too, as their arms touched every now and then. He’d never say it out loud; it was too cheesy and definitely not his style.

He’d say it someday though.

“Hey, Jessica?”

“Yeah?” Jessica tilted her head up to look at him.

Heechul froze, but shut his mouth, opening it after a few seconds.

“I’ll tell you later, okay?”

“Promise?”

“Promise.”


Wow, I truly .

I said I'd update the day after, but geez, school. >.>

So I'm 10 days late, but it's okay, right?

BECAUSE NEXT IS TAETEUK.

GET PSYCHED, EVERYONE.

IT'S WHAT YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR.

So be happy, okay? ^^

NOTE: These are the last replies I'm doing in a chapter. From now on, my replies will be in the comments.

COMMENT REPLIES

@StarryKelly: Nice to see you again, Kathy~ Updated, and TaeTeuk is next. :D

@AnotherAllegation: Sooyoung likes going overboard. x) Glad you enjoyed~

@StrawberryFantasy: I miss them too. T^T

@chinkyasian: Aww, thank you, Olivia! <3 You're one of my favorite readers. :D

@soshicharm: Don't worry, there's more SunSun to come. :)

@raisin: Aw, I'm so glad you think so! No, it's TaeTeuk~ SeoKyu is coming up shortly. ;)

@nerdscandy: Ah, I believe so, yesh~ SunSun IS really cute<3

@neesha_smiley13: Thanks so much! More SeoKyu is to come. ^^

@cheng15: SunSun? XD

@StarryNight99_: Aw, I'm glad you enjoyed them~ There are many more one-shots to go. :3

@milkytutu: Hope you liked the HeeSica here? TaeTeuk's soon~

@TiHae4ever: Yeah, one-shots here aren't too long. I'm happy you liked it, unnie. :)

@--ethereal: AREN'T THEY SO ADORABLE? <3 LOL, I adore your weirdness, Tammy~ TaeTeuk's next!

@lingericious: Right? <3

@minrin-shi: Coming soon~

@SuperSeoKyuShiDae: I'm glad~ And updated.

@OohShinyDistracted: It's fine, sugar is good. XD SUNSUN<3

@quietsk: Wow, thank you so much! I'm glad I can make other pairings grow on you. ^^ That's my job, hehe. :3 Thanks for reading~ More SeoKyu to come in the future~

UPCOMING LIST OF ONE-SHOTS:

6. TaeTeuk

7. YulSung/YeYul

8. YoonWon

9. TaeTeuk

10. SeoKyu

11. YoonHae

12. SooWook

13. SunSun

14. SeoKyu

15. HyoHyuk