04. G U M M Y B E A R S

A Hundred Ways to Love

Pairing; Sungmin/Sunny [SunSun]

Word Count; 1,445


A petite girl with her hair in a high ponytail adorned with a cute pink headband entered the colorful candy store with wide eyes.

Candies of all shapes, sizes, and colors were sorted in boxes around the large store. The candies were sorted by color, and the chocolates were in a section of their own. Paper bags with the store’s logo were placed by each type of candy, with a handy scooper hanging on small rack nearby.

Children were dragging their parents all over the shop, begging for more. Parents wore faces of exhausting and frustration as they pulled out their wallets and credit cards.

Sunny smiled. She shook her head, suddenly remembering why she came in the first place.

You’re here to get candy for your sisters, not yourself.

Letting out a big breath, she trooped around the store, filling bags with jellybeans, chocolate bunnies, and lollipops and ers, her sisters’ favorites. When her arms were almost full with all the candy, she passed by an almost-empty container of gummy bears.

She gasped and unconsciously picked up another bag, flipping the box’s lid open. Sunny reached for the scooper, when someone with faster reflexes snatched it up.

“Hey!” Sunny shouted, before realizing that the thief was a very handsome person.

The boy smiled, filling up his bag with the remaining gummy bears. “Hello.”

“Yah! I was here first,” Sunny pouted, hoping her aegyo would work.

He placed the scooper back and frowned. “Really? Sorry, I really like gummy bears.”

“Well, me too!” Sunny cried defiantly, forgetting about the aegyo.

Amused, the boy looked her straight in the eyes. “What’s your name?”

“You can call me Sunny,” she replied, refusing to tell him her real, old-fashioned name that she strongly disliked.

“Interesting,” he murmured, making his way to the front counter to pay for his candy.

“W-Wait!” Sunny caught up with him. “You didn’t tell me your name!”

“Meet me at the fountain in front of this mall in an hour, and I’ll tell you my name,” he grinned cutely and paid for his candy.

When it was Sunny’s turn to pay, she scowled. “Seems like a lot just to know someone’s name...”

“Miss?”

Sunny glanced up at the cashier, who was waiting to take her money. Sunny turned a little pink in the cheeks and quickly dug around in her purse for her wallet.

That stupid boy just had to distract her...

---

Sunny returned home and dropped the bags of candy on the kitchen counter. Of course, her parents were still at work, and her sisters weren’t home from ballet yet.

As usual, her best friend, Sooyoung, was lounging around in the usual living room, watching her usual variety shows and eating the usual unhealthy junk foods.

“Welcome home!” Sooyoung grinned from her usual spot on the floor.

Sunny slapped herself--almost. Her brain wasn’t working well at the moment, using the world usual a thousand times. Sunny plopped down next to Sooyoung and started off bluntly, “I’m leaving in an hour.”

Sooyoung muted the volume on the TV and raised an eyebrow curiously. “Leaving? Where are you going?”

“Just meeting someone,” Sunny answered quickly with a small smile.

Sooyoung began laughing obnoxiously. “Ohoho, I know that smile! IT’S A BOY! IT’S A DATE!”

“I don’t even know his name!” Sunny said pathetically, sighing.

“What? Does he know yours?” Sooyoung questioned, trying to pry further into Sunny’s usually uneventful love life.

Sunny was quiet. Sooyoung nudged her. “Come on, this is exciting! You barely ever go on dates and stuff.”

“Yeah, he knows mine,” Sunny responded finally.

“Where’d you meet him?” Sooyoung grinned moronically. “The park? The bookstore? You were just reaching for your favorite book, when he reached for it, too, and your eyes met...”

Sunny glared and threw a pillow at her friend. “No! Someone’s been watching too many dramas, clearly.”

Sooyoung scoffed, affronted. “I do not watch dramas, SoonKyu. Well, occasionally, I will watch only one drama, but it’s just because that Choi Siwon is so hot!”

Sunny rolled her eyes, and Sooyoung stuck her tongue out defensively, urging Sunny for more details. She explained her little encounter with the mysterious boy from the candy shop. She found herself smiling as she described what he looked like, and Sooyoung noticed immediately.

“You like him,” Sooyoung smirked.

Sunny gaped. “I barely know him!”

“Doesn’t matter. Kid, there’s a thing called, love at first sight, and you’ve found it.”

Sunny’s taller friend sighed jealously. “Wish I could find that...do you think Siwon--”

“First of all, I’m older than you,” Sunny put her index finger up, interrupting Sooyoung’s fantasies. “Second,” her middle finger rose, “It’s not love!”

“Sure, sure,” Sooyoung said airily, glancing at her perfect nails. “Now,” she stood and yanked Sunny up. “Let’s get you ready for your date!”

Sunny groaned. “Not a date...”

“Some people call it a meeting, others call it an outing; I call it a date.” Sooyoung grinned, dragging Sunny up the staircase.

“Let’s go!”

“Yah, stop pulling my arm!”

“Then come faster!”

“I can’t--your legs are longer than mine!”

“Aish, this again...?”

---

Sunny felt herself blushing as she walked down the streets, on her way back to the mall.

Everywhere she turned, pairs of eyes were watching her intently.

Sunny got a glimpse of her reflection in a shop’s display window, and she sighed deeply. She did not look like herself.

Sooyoung did her hair in two little pigtails that hung down at her shoulders, topped off with a cute hat. Sunny was wearing a strapless pink dress with white polka-dots and a belt with a light pink shade. It couldn’t have been more girly, pink, or eye-catching.

She moved her feet faster, almost sprinting now, while ignoring the numerous stares. She spotted the big fountain in the front of the mall where she had bought candy earlier. The boy she met was giving a little girl a coin to toss into the fountain. He demonstrated how to do it properly, and she followed suit. Sunny smiled and walked up to him nervously.

“Hi,” she greeted with a polite smile, removing her hat.

The boy’s eyes widened slightly. “Hey, Sunny. You look pretty.”

Sunny blushed and smiled cutely. “Thanks.”

He removed a small bag from behind his back, reached in, and pulled out an orange gummy bear. “Want some?”

Sunny nodded eagerly, and the two sat at the edge of the fountain, devouring the rest of the gummies in minutes.

“So,” Sunny started, once they were done eating. “You said you’d tell me your name.”

“I know,” he leaned back slightly and stared at the sky. Then he turned back to Sunny. “I wanna know more about you first!”

Sunny rolled her eyes. “Tcht. Stalker.”

He smiled innocently. “When’s your birthday?”

“May 15th; what a boring question...” Sunny commented, pouting slightly. “I should get to ask you some questions, too!”

“Okay, okay,” he agreed with a chuckle. “Anything but my name.”

“Mysterious much?” Sunny rolled her eyes, smiling.

Half an hour later, Sunny and her new companion were cracking up in fits of laughter. Sunny was laughing so hard that she had completely forgotten what they were laughing about to begin with.

Wiping a tear from her eye, she let out one last giggle. “Ah, my cheeks hurt.”

The boy pinched her cheeks. “Aigoo, so cute~”

“Yah!” Sunny moved her face away from him and slapped his hands. “Now, tell me your name!”

He sighed dramatically. “I don’t know...”

“Pleeeease?” Sunny begged, pouting adorably.

He smiled and stood up, gathering his things. “Sungmin.”

“What?”

“Sungmin,” he repeated, slinging his messenger bag over his shoulder.

“Sungmin,” Sunny recited, liking the way his name rolled off her tongue.

“Lee Sungmin. So, I’ll see you around, Sunny?” he asked.

Sunny nodded with a bright smile. “Same time, same place?"

Sungmin laughed and poked her cheeks. “Sure. It’s a date.”

Sunny smiled again and waved to him as he disappeared in the crowd of people.

“It’s love~” Sooyoung sang, once Sungmin was gone.

Sunny jumped back, startled. “Sooyoung--?! Where did you come from?”

“Behind that shrub,” Sooyoung pointed. “Oh my gosh; you guys are having another date!” she squealed loudly in Sunny’s ear.

Sunny groaned. “Stop, please...”

“My little Sunny’s in love.” Sooyoung sniffed, pretending to dab at her eyes.

“Yah, I told you that I’m older!” Sunny smacked her friend on the arm.

“Yeah, but you’re shorter.”

“Shut up.”

Sooyoung sighed dreamily. “Sungmin’s even like your perfect height and everything~”

“Stop saying creepy things like that.” Sunny blushed.

Only now did she notice that the sugary taste of gummy bears still lingered on her tongue.


Because I miss SunSun. :)

And I know you're all impatient for TaeTeuk, but no worries!

The next one-shot is going up TOMORROW, and then TaeTeuk follows shortly after. :D

Thanks for supporting this guys, and every comment means a lot!

After this update, I'll start replying to comments in the comment box.

I have like 80 subscribers, but most of you don't even comment. /sigh

See you next chapter~