01. S M I L E

A Hundred Ways to Love

Pairing; Seohyun/Kyuhyun [SeoKyu]

Word Count; 1,505


Seo Joohyun is mostly a quiet, reserved, composed person.

She’s not wildly hilarious like Hyoyeon, or constantly hungry like Sooyoung, or dorky like Taeyeon, or trying to be overly-cute like Sunny. Her laugh isn’t obnoxious like Yoona’s, and she’s not harsh like Jessica. She doesn’t act flirty like Tiffany, and Seohyun is definitely not as strange as Yuri.

Seohyun is Seohyun.

She’s the most interesting out of all the girls, to me.

She’s the maknae, but she’s mature. She’s smart and wise and probably knows more than she lets on. She’s the person that her older friends would come to for advice, just because she’s probably more knowledgeable. And most of the time, Seohyun has a calm expression on her face. She’s the only one in the group not bursting out in fits of laughter over some stupid gag. I like that she’s able to keep her calm, but I guess that makes her come off as a bit cold and standoffish to other people who don’t know her as well.

But when she smiles...

I swear; it’s the most beautiful thing in the world.

Whoa, that was extremely corny. Did that just come out of my mouth? I must be ill or something. What did I eat for dinner last night? Hm, it was Leeteuk-hyung who cooked, wasn’t it?

My stomach lurched, remembering. Of course, Leeteuk cooked...

“Kyuhyun-ah, are you talking to yourself?”

I glanced up and saw Sungmin standing in front of me with a raised eyebrow. “Uh...no.” I said, my lie faltering slightly.

He smirked. “Right.” his face then turned into one of shock, or surprise, or maybe both. “A-Are you reading?”

I looked down at the novel in my hands and looked back up at Sungmin, turning my answer into a question. “Yes...?”

“A book?!” Sungmin continued in disbelief.

I closed the book and tossed it aside lazily. “And why do you sound so shocked?”

“Because CHO KYUHYUN is READING!” he exclaimed, flapping his arms awkwardly.

Was reading,” I corrected in my normal bored, too-cool-to-care manner.

“Kyuhyun’s reading?” Heechul shouted from somewhere in the dorm.

“What the--?” Yesung gave me a weird look. Then again, all of his looks are weird anyways.

Leeteuk came bursting out of the kitchen (what the heck was he doing in there?) and put a hand to my forehead. “Do you have a fever? The flu? The measles?”

I stared at him in annoyance, trying to move away from his hand, but to no avail. The guy had a strong grip and hold on you when he was deeply concerned.

“It was probably your cooking.” Heechul snickered, sauntering into the room, probably thinking he looked so cool when he did that.

Leeteuk tossed a glare in Heechul’s direction. “There’s nothing wrong with my cooking.”

“Okay, you’re all overreacting. Just because I choose to read a book doesn’t mean I’m sick.” I grumbled at them, growing more irritated by the second.

“At this late hour, wouldn’t you rather be playing Starcraft?” Ryeowook asked skeptically, joining the growing conversation.

“I didn’t feel like it.”

Simultaneous gasps came from the large group. I rolled my eyes. Freaking drama queens, all of them were.

“Okay, he’s definitely sick.” Leeteuk confirmed, sure of himself.

“Where’s the nearest hospital?” Shindong cried out desperately. Sheesh, how many dramas have these people been watching...?

Siwon stared intently at his phone, probably on the Internet. “There’s one a few miles from here. It’s only a few minutes--”

“I’ll drive!” Eunhyuk and Donghae volunteered at the same time, pulling out their keys, the metal jingling in the air.

Oh, goody. I’d probably die before I even made it to the hospital with those baboons taking the wheel.

“WAIT!” Sungmin shouted, as the other members froze in their positions. He grinned at me.

I frowned back at him. “What?”

“I know what’s up~” Sungmin responded in a sing-song voice.

“Stop with the girlishness already.” I ordered in a commanding tone.

What did he know? Nothing was up.

Well, except for the ceiling, sky, heaven--maybe birds...

“It’s so obvious.” Sungmin continued, being secretive about the whole ordeal.

“I wanna know!” Donghae whined.

“Tell us first!” Ryeowook insisted.

Sungmin gathered everyone in a big huddle in a corner of the living room farthest from me. I cocked an eyebrow suspiciously at them. At some points, some of them turned back to look at me, making sure I wasn’t snooping on them.

Weirdos.

Then Heechul laughed his usual hyena-like laugh and left the room. I could still hear his laughs echoing down the hallway, and I rolled my eyes at him, even though he couldn’t see me.

The huddle broke and they all closed in on me. Now, everyone was wearing ridiculously idiotic grins and nudging me, poking me, and just plain annoying the heck out of me.

“Alright, what?” I asked, smacking away their touchy hands.

Eunhyuk, Ryeowook, and Sungmin giggled in high-pitched voices. Shindong looked like his face was about to burst and Yesung looked around casually, not looking at me. Donghae was grinning like a kid on Christmas morning and Siwon just kept shrugging nonchalantly.

Leeteuk put a hand on my shoulder and said, “I never thought this day would come, Kyuhyun-ah.”

I gave him a look of bewilderment, confusion, and anger. “What day?”

“YOU’RE IN LOVE!” Ryeowook blurted out.

Eunhyuk, Yesung, and Siwon tackled him and shoved their hands over his mouth, like it would make a difference.

I chuckled coolly. “You guys are funny--I’m not in love.”

“It’s not good to lie, you know...” Sungmin smiled.

I ignored the jeers and comments from the members and the TV, hoping for a distraction.

A recap of SNSD’s last concert in Japan was playing. The camera went to Seohyun, who was smiling brightly and beautifully as always.

“IT’S HER! IT’S HER!” they all shouted triumphantly, jumping up and down and pointing.

“I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT!” Sungmin cried above the others, pumping his fist in the air victoriously.

Heechul poked his head back into the room, said, “Wasn’t that obvious from the start?” and he disappeared once again.

My eyes widened.

Me? In love? With Seohyun?

No.

No.

“You guys have got it all wrong.” I told them, folding my arms stubbornly.

“You were blushing at the TV screen!” Donghae exclaimed, tackling me.

“It’s just hot in here.” I denied, shoving him off roughly.

“That’s gotta be your worst excuse ever.” Siwon shook his head, looking at me with an amused expression. “Come on, Kyu.”

“Admit it.” Eunhyuk grinned devilishly.

“We’ll keep it a secret.” Leeteuk assured. Psh, secret, my .

Sungmin glanced at Ryeowook pointedly. “Well, some of us will.”

Ryeowook smiled apologetically, biting his lip. “I’m sorry?”

I pressed my lips tightly together.

I thought for a long, burning moment. Seohyun--the more I thought about her and the more I saw her face in my head, the more it seemed right, that I should like her. As I kept imagining, the longer Seohyun lingered in my mind and the more I suddenly despised Yonghwa for ever getting close to her. The more I suddenly wished I had excuses to see her, and the more I wanted to sing duets with her.

Was I really just denying it this whole time, like Sungmin thought?

“Fine. You guys got me.” I mumbled at last, sighing.

“YES!”

“FINALLY!”

“When’s the wedding?” Sungmin began poking me in the arm incessantly. I groaned, throwing a pillow at his face, missing by mere centimeters.

“Aw, hey, I was being serious!” he pouted.

“Hey, your girlfriend’s talking!” Shindong told me, pointing madly to the TV.

Everyone’s eyes jumped to the screen. I innocently turned my attention to the TV as well. Seohyun was talking about the girls’ emotions during their last concert in Japan. She went on about how the other members were so happy to be able to meet their fans, do the tour...

Then she thanked the fans and smiled.

God; why was she so adorable?

Later on, the guys told me that I had been smiling while watching the recap.

“Tcht, whatever,” I mumbled to myself, continuing my usual game of Starcraft.

“Oh, he’s smiling again...”

“He’s probably thinking about her!”

“Why are you guys hiding behind that wall?” I shouted at them, irritated. I heard noises of things being knocked to the ground and feet pounding noisily on the floor, disappearing quickly down the hallway.

I chuckled, smiling to myself, taking a quick glance at the TV. Seohyun was no longer there, but the beautiful smile on her face had been implanted permanently in my head, and I could still see it, ever so radiant.

He’s smiling to himself again, guys!

I know; he looks so creepy.”

What a ert...

I glared at the wall that could easily hide all the members and allow them to peek on me. They never learned. Why were my hyungs such complete idiots?

“I hear you.” I said in a dangerously low voice.

“RUN!”


The banner is made by my lovely sister, StrawberryFantasy. :) She's like my official/unofficial graphic designer, and she'll be making all the banners for each one-shot. Isn't she so amazing?!

I really hope this one-shot was okay. Was Kyuhyun in-character? Did you guys like this? Hate it? [ Kyuhyun's my bias, so I'm like overly-self-conscious, hehe. ] If this , I need to know, okay? xP

Wow, 30 subscribers already, and I didn't even have anything up yet--I LOVE YOU GUYS! ♥

Comment Replies:

@StrawberryFantasy: I know right? :) Yes, the advantages of being the author's sis, hehe.

@mc_cwiss: Ahah, awwwh, thank ya, bb. :D Thanks so much; yeah, I love the Foreword! RAMEN is our one-shot, specially dedicated to you. :) Uwahh, thanks so much, Chrissy! <3

@kyufever: Aw, thanks, Fitri~ Actually, I changed that one, since I re-wrote that one-shot. Thank you so, so much! :D

@QueeeenB: Updated~

@YesungJjang: They will all be in this. :) I think you'll like this^^

@danshinchoding: Thanks^^ Updated!

@chococcino30: Omo, my top three pairings! :D

@surrealthoughts: Wahh, thanks, Shin! :D Yes, it is awesome, neh? :)

@Nilam-: Thank you! Actually, I'll open requesting later on in the story. :)

@seokykyu: Whoa, you guessed it right. :D <3

@chinkyasian: Aw, thanks, Olivia. :) Yup, that's correct^^

@lingericious: Hehe, thank you! :)

@SuGenLover: Thanks, unnie! :D <3

@Tikatikolala: Thank you, Tika-unnie~ and you're right, Taeyeon IS in 09. :)

@--ethereal: TAMMY! :D I love your guesses, hehe. You're right about 02, 04, 06, and 09. And you're half right about 03 and 07--you're a really good guesser. xD Thank you so much, Tammy~ <3

@moonGY: They'll definitely be in this, no worries. :)

@Taengoo09: Started~ And yes, they are. :]