Mysterious Intent

Death Note ; Rebirth Of The Shinigami

Minho and I decided to take a walk outside of campus as we both did not have Taekwondo practices on that day. Visiting one of the nearby shopping malls, we walked around casually, conversation topics revolving around school, as usual. Minho and I had been friends for almost five years now. He was there for me when I had to work on my own and survive. Minho was the one who accompanied me through my lonely times as an orphan and a child with no relatives.

 

Choosing one of the Korean Barbeque restaurants to have our dinner at, we ate peacefully until I unknowingly glanced at the television on the wall. The evening news was broadcasting again and I frowned.

 

“…Suspect Park ShinTae committed suicide after finding out he was accused of the murder case... A note was written by him, admitting to the crime…”

 

Another death of a criminal.

 

I paused, not being able to focus on my food anymore.

 

“Heeya, are you okay? The food isn’t to your taste?” Minho asked softly. I shook my head lightly and forced out a smile as I nibbled on the food in my plate. Then, I felt someone staring at me. The aura was intent. I had no choice but to look up towards the direction of the glare,

 

At the corner of the restaurant, a guy sat there, eating alone as he glared at me. As our eyes came in contact, he smirked and then smiled to himself before continuing eating. I quirked an eyebrow before choosing to ignore it for he probably wasn’t even looking at me for that matter.

 

After dinner, Minho walked me back to my dormitory and we bid farewell.

 

Raising my hand, I took a look at the time before heading up to my dormitory and switched on the television. More reports of criminals’ death were being announced over the late night news broadcast.

 

“What the hell… What kind of coincidence is this?” I grumbled to myself as I took out my notebook and started recording the deaths once again. There were now a total of 27 deaths, of which majority died of…

 

“A heart attack.” I bit my lips as I refused to believe my eyes. I tried again and again to convince myself of this coincidence and I’m sure I’m not the only one who have realised this but since the deaths were pretty far apart, maybe people did not take notice of it.

 

“Student Investigator Kang Hee Ya.” I heard someone called out my name. Startled, I turned, in search of the owner of the voice.

 

“Who is there?” I called out. “Don’t be a coward.” I taunted, but before I knew it, I was pinned against the wall and was facing chocolate brown orbs. My eyes glanced up and down as I felt myself tremble under his hold. I wanted to counter him, but I simply couldn’t, and I didn’t know why. I just felt like I couldn’t go against him.

 

This guy had short spiky hair and shaved on the sides. He was dressed in a black long sleeve shirt and ripped denim skinny jeans matched with dark blue high cut sneakers.

 

He smirked at me and I instantly recalled who it was. It was the exact same guy I saw at the restaurant. Quickly, I collected myself and stayed calm as I spoke again.

 

“What do you want?” I managed to say in a firm tone.

 

“Nothing much, really…” he chuckled, letting go off me and sat down on my bed. My gaze followed him as I leaned against the wall. “But it’s really nice to finally meet you, Heeya~”

 

I gulped. How did this person know my name? I don’t think I have ever met him before.

 

“Get out of my room.” And I paused. How did he even get in here? I glanced towards my window and it was opened. I remembered that I didn’t like having my windows open as my air-conditioner is always on. I slowly walked towards the window and closed it, glaring in the guy’s direction. “My room is on the eleventh floor.” I grimaced, unable to figure it out, “How the hell did you get up here if you came through the window?”

 

I saw him smirked, seemingly happy that I couldn’t figure it out. “You are the investigator, you should know~” he taunted.

 

“Just get out. This is the girls’ dormitory.” I folded my arms, feeling more annoyed by the second.

 

“Oh? It doesn’t seem like you to leave things unsolved~” he casually walked towards my work desk and before I knew it, he was going to open up my notebook. Closing the book back down before he could the contents, I blocked my work desk protectively.

 

“Didn’t you hear me? I said get out.”

 

He leaned in towards me, and I found myself trapped in between him and my work desk.

 

“But what if I get caught, that wouldn’t be very nice.” He commented.

 

“Do I look like I care?” I rolled my eyes, hoping this guy would just get out of the room.

 

“You will regret, ever saying that.” He glared at me in the eyes, “My name is Kwon Ji Yong, by the way. You better remember it.” Jiyong pulled himself away from me and opened the window back up before jumping out of the window.

 

“Hey!” What the hell was the guy thinking? He can’t possibly have committed suicide because I said I did not care, right? I ran towards the window and looked down but he was alright and leaning against a lamp post. I saw him grinned against the light as he lit up a cigarette, taking a puff before walking away.