New Born Sins

Death Note ; Rebirth Of The Shinigami

The sun shone bright into the room and I struggled to open my eyes. Letting out a big yawn and stretching my body, I pushed myself off the bed, sliding the icons on my phone to switch off the alarm.

 

Like every other day, I changed into my clothes for school. Picking out a black tank top and bright red vest, I wore them over, matched with ripped skinny jeans and high cut red shoes. I tied my long brown hair into a ponytail, leaving my long fringe to cover one of my eyes. I walked out of my dormitory room and headed towards the café at the lobby for breakfast. I sat at the same corner as I sipped on a hot cup of Caramel Macchiato and munched on a piece of chicken sandwich, my gaze focused on the television that was broadcasting the early morning news.

 

“The suspect, Choi Hyangsuk, who was accused of murder and of the teenage girl last night, was reported dead while he was being detained in the police station. Reports concluded that he had died of a heart attack.”

 

Heart attack…

 

I retrieved my notebook from my bag as I scanned through the notes I had taken for the past few weeks. It had already been the 24th criminal to have been reported dead from a heart attack. Things were odd yet familiar and I just could not get it out of my head. I tried again and again to convince myself it was a coincidence but being a fan of my favourite movie and manga, I could not seem to be able to let it go down without letting my imaginations run wild. I shook my head, once again, ignoring the terribly perfect coincidence.

 

“Heeya!” a voice greeted me out of the blue, making me jump a bit. I looked up to see it was my best friend, before I calmed down a bit.

 

“Song Minho, don’t scare me like that.” I mock-glared him before closing my notebook and keeping it in my bag.

 

“Yah. Why do you always close that note book whenever I’m around? It’s that like your secret diary or something?” he teased, seemingly disappointed. It was true that I never let him see what’s in the book. Although he was my best friend, it did not mean that I trust that he would not judge about the weird things I’m doing.

 

“There’s nothing. Had your breakfast?” I asked, changing the subject easily. Minho nodded before tilting his head.

 

“Shall we go?” he asked with a grin and I nodded, smiling back at him as I grabbed my half-finished coffee and we headed towards class.

 

Degree of Crime Forensics and Investigations.

 

Ever since my parents died in the car crash, which I survived, I had been living on my own ever since then. The car crash left me with a scar across the top of my left eyebrow and a blind eye. With some help from some social workers, I made it out of the depression I had from losing my parents. They also helped me get a job as a simple waitress at a traditional Korean restaurant and the owner took good care of me as well.

 

My parents were both investigation officers in Korea and ever since I was little, they had always wanted me to become an investigation officer just like them. But not just any investigation officer, they wanted me to become the best of the best. Even if I have always detested the idea of becoming what they want me to become, I finally felt it was only right for me to repay them for taking care of me for 15 years. I grew to like what I’m studying not long after I started, thanks to the character that played the genius investigator in the Death Note series, L. Lawliet. He was my perfect role model and I wanted to become as smart as him. So, I studied hard and became one of the best of the best in campus.

 

“Kang Heeya, I would like to hear your deduction on this case scenario.” The lecturer called out my name. I stood up from my seat and analysis the scenario. He had used the case scenario from the crime committed last night. I gave my deduction but it was out of the textbook answers. The lecturer stared at me in shock. “As expected of Heeya, always giving an answer that is wrong, but yet solves the case.” The lecturer sighed, “It wouldn’t harm you to give me the right answer.”

 

I smiled to myself, ignoring my lecturer.

 

The school bell rang as I started to pack up my things, together with Minho. Someone tapped on my shoulder lightly. I looked up to see a girl with short black hair with red highlights, revealing her left ear, which was decorated with punkish ear studs. Dressed in a black tank top and leather jacket completed with leather pants and boots, the vibe that came out of her spelled chic and nothing else.

 

“May I help you?” I asked calmly.

 

“My name is Calia. New transfer student.” She introduced herself, “Great deduction on that case, by the way. It was the exact same answer I had in my head.” She commented as she smirked. “Looking forward with more classes with you around. This school is just getting slightly more interesting~” she said before strutting out of the classroom.

 

I watched as she walked out of the classroom and I just felt that I had this confused look on my face.

 

“When did she transfer here?” I turned to Minho, who simply shrugged at me. I felt this sense of competition within me and actually had quite a hard time getting it out of my system.