The Song

Just a Typical Love Story (Xiuhan/Lumin Fanfic)

~Chapter 3- The Song~

Luhans apartment. It smells like him. Minseok isn't sure when he memorized what Luhan smells like, but apparently he has. Minseok shoves a pillow into his face and inhales the sweet scent. It's not quite as wonderful as Luhan himself, but it's still wonderful.

An amused voice startles Minseok into dropping the Luhan-scented item, "You uh... Like my pillow?"
Luhan laughs at the other boys surprised expression and walks over to join him where he's sitting on the floor of the small apartment.
Minseok doesn't reply, partly because of embarrassment, and partly because his attention has been drawn to the guitar that Luhan is carrying. It's the same one that he's seen almost every day, perched in the delicate boys lap as he sings along to its sweet melody. Luhan pulls a folded sheet of paper out of his pocket, and smooths it out on the floor in front of him. It's creased in many places, as if the page has been folded and re-folded many times. It must be important.
Minseok watches silently as Luhan positions his fingers on the guitar, and begins to play. The song is slow and emotional, even without any words. It continues for a few beautiful moments before Luhans voice joins in with the notes. His eyes are closed as he sings, and his expression is calm and thoughtful. It's a different expression from the one that he usually displays in front of his street audience. Minseok finds himself entranced. Both with the song and with the boys expression. He's so used to seeing Luhan with an ever-present smile, winking and blowing kisses at his audience. That's his performer face, Minseok now realizes, and what he's witnessing now is the natural Luhan. He isn't smiling confidently, and he isn't glowing with passion, he's just... Normal. Concentrated. The music flowing from him naturally. And that's what makes it so wonderful to Minseok. He's finally seeing the side of Luhan that he's always imagined was there. He feels creepy to think it, but he finally thinks that all of those minutes spent watching, thinking about, and obsessing over Luhan in an attempt to better understand him, were all worth it.
Luhan ceases his wonderous music, and opens his eyes. He smiles now, somewhat shyly, and pushes the paper towards Minseok.

"It's actually a duet. I just couldn't find the right person to sing it with me." His dark eyes stare into Minseoks soul. They pierce through him, taking hold of his emotions and twisting them into a complicated mess. Somehow, Minseok gets the feeling that Luhan is expecting something from him.

He picks up the paper and studies it. It's filled with line after line of hand written music notes and lyrics. Luhan must have written this.

Is he going to ask me to sing it with him? But... I'm not talented.
Does he think I'm 'the right person'? I'm not special though... What if he doesn't really mean it, and I'm just twisting his intentions to fit what I want? He surely doesn't know how much he means to me... How much I care about what he thinks about me.
Maybe I'm over-thinking things? He told me that he likes me. That he wants to be with me. What more evidence do I need? I should be happy. I am happy. I just... Can't afford to get hurt.

Minseok avoids Luhans gaze. He can't face the angelic boys expectant eyes with so many doubtful thoughts running through his head. It doesn't seem fair to him, since he's being so open.

Luhans voice sounds in his ear, "I've been wanting to sing it when I perform. And now that I've met you I think I can. Will you sing it with me?"

Minseoks breath catches in his throat at those words. He had been expecting them, yet also had not.

No, I'm not special enough.

The soft voice invades Minseoks thoughts again, "Please?"

Luhan's earlier words come back to him: "Minseok. I officially announce that I, Luhan, have an insatiable hunger to be with you."

Yes, that's right. He said that. Those ridiculous and amazing words were meant for me.

Minseok swallows, forcing all of his uncertainty deep within him, "Yes. Yes of course." He finally replies, conviction clear in his voice.
He looks up at a beaming Luhan, "Great! Thanks Baozi! This'll be so much fun!" He slides across the floor, and tackles Minseok with a warm embrace.

"Thank you." He says again, softer this time. The pleasantly surprised Baozi slowly wraps his arms around the other boy and tucks his face against his soft hair, marveling at how thin he is. And how good he smells. They're like opposites; Thin, and not so thin, bubbly, and reserved, unbelievably talented, and unbelievably normal.

I'm in a fairy tale indeed... Minseok thinks idly.

Then, as if to prove him right, his stomach growls, interrupting the sweet moment. It's so cliche that Minseok laughs out loud, before he pulls back, embarrassed. He hasn't really eaten all day. He's been way too nervous to have any type of appetite. But now that he's relaxed, he's starving.

Luhan looks at him knowingly. "How about we go have that soup now?" Minseok nods, and lets Luhan pull him to his feet. Before they step out the door, Luhan scoops the song up off of the floor and folds it carefully, following the already made creases. He holds it out to Minseok.
He seems reluctant to let it go, but he puts it in Minseoks hand and closes his fingers around it.
His mouth lifts in a small smile. It reaches his eyes, making them shine in the dim afternoon light that streams through the door as he opens it.
"Memorize the lyrics tonight and we'll sing it tomorrow, at my usual spot."
Minseoks eyes widen involuntarily. Singing. In public. With Luhan. It's a lot to take in. He's getting nervous just thinking about it.

The fangirls might just kill me out of jealousy...

Luhan doesn't notice Minseoks little moment of fear, so he continues, "I'll kill you if you lose this though! It's important to me." His smile wavers.

"I'll take good care of it." Minseok reassures him, and plants a kiss on the paper to prove it. This makes the visibly worried boys smile expand to show off his straight, white teeth, and his fingers to link with Minseoks. They leave through the already opened door, and head back the way they came, to the chicken soup restaurant.

Minseok catches a glimpse of a tall figure with rainbow hair moving through the crowd. It looks like Sehun, because of the hair. But that's impossible since Minseok knows for a fact that Sehun is at work, and that he couldn't possibly have known where Luhan was taking him.

It must be somebody else with the same crazy sense of style. Minseok decides.

The person disappears, and Minseok forgets all about it. Instead he focuses on the fact that he can feel Luhan staring at him. He pretends not to notice, because he likes it. Luhan is paying attention to him, and he's loving it, even though he knows that seems very self-centered.

It's 3:30 by the time they arrive at their destination, an odd time to eat, but it doesn't matter. This is just an excuse to spend more time with Luhan. Plus he's actually starving.

The soup is delicious, and Luhan is beautiful. They talk constantly, sharing stories and information about themselves. They're really nothing alike, except for the fact that they both love soccer, but Minseok doesn't mind. He finds Luhan utterly fascinating! They exhange phone numbers, and Minseok has a feeling that when he gets home he won't be able to stop staring at the entrancing new name in his contact list.

When they finish their food and leave, they just walk aimlessly around the streets, not wanting to go their separate ways.
It's all so perfect.
That is, until Luhans phone rings. He looks at the caller I.D and frowns. He presses the end button, halting the insistent ringtone.

Minseok is amused by the fact that its a very girly sounding k-pop song. It suits Luhan though.

Still frowning, he looks at Minseok sadly, "I have to go. I'm sorry."

Minseok forces a smile, and nods. He's afraid that if he speaks he'll end up begging Luhan to stay.

Is he going to meet that person who called? Why didn't he answer?

The questions invade Minseok, shoving their way to the front of his mind. He's curious; He desperately wants to voice these questions, but it's none of his business.

Minseok finally finds the will to speak, "Okay, I'll see you tomorrow then?" He hopes that Luhan hasn't forgotten already about the song, and their singing it together.

Luhans sudden angelic smile answers that question for Minseok. "Yes! Memorize the song, okay? And meet me at my usual spot whenever is convenient for you. I'll wait as long as I have to, so don't worry about rushing."

Agh so considerate! But I'll rush, no doubt... I might not even sleep...

"Okay." Minseok says simply, not knowing how else to reply, and not wanting to say goodbye quite yet. Luhans phone rings again, singing out in a high pitched voice. He stares at it menacingly before ending it once again. He shoves the phone into his jacket pocket and reaches his arms out to Minseok, who steps into them eagerly. They wrap their arms around each other, creating their own little bubble of warmth in the cold evening. He looks up at Luhan, wanting desperately to kiss the boys bright pink lips. But he doesn't. Their relationship has progressed unnaturally quickly already, so he doesn't want it to end today just because there's nowhere else for it to go. Odd logic, but it's coming from a person who is always worried and paranoid.

This is weird. He likes me, but didn't we just meet this morning?

Minseok is surprised with himself for not wondering this before now. It's probably the first question he should have asked. It's important.
He's afraid of the answer that he might receive, but he knows that he'll never be able to relax without knowing.

"Luhan, how the hell could you decide that you like me so quickly? We just met this morning." Minseoks voice shakes; He's so nervous.

Luhan just tilts his head to the side curiously as he looks at Minseoks scared face, "I could ask the same thing of you. After all, you're the one who confessed first. How did you decide that you liked me so quickly?"

Shock jolts through Minseok. He hadn't thought of it like that... Since he has been secretly in love with Luhan for so long already, it just felt natural.
Natural. Yes that's the perfect word.

Not being able to think of anything more suitable, he uses that thought as his answer, "It just feels natural to me." He tells Luhan. He debates whether or not to tell the whole truth... The fact that he's actually been in love with him since the first day that he saw him perform, and the fact that his feelings had grown stronger each time he had seen the blonde boy.

No, that's too creepy...

He stays silent, relying on his short answer.

Luhan seems satisfied because he smiles warmly and removes an arm from Minseoks waist so that he can hold one of his hands. Minseok is self conscious about the fact that his hand had been shaking, but he gratefully accepts Luhans warm fingers between his.

"Me too. That's exactly it. It's natural." The wind blows through Luhans fluffy blonde hair as he speaks, adding an interesting dramatic effect to the moment.
Luhan continues in a softer tone, "I've learned not to deny myself the things that make me happy. It's just... Not right to live with regret for not doing something, you know?" He seems confident, and Minseok envies his conviction. He wishes that he could be so sure about what he wants, and how he wants to live.

Maybe today is the start of that kind of life?

The thought floats around dreamily in the back of his mind.

He finds himself smiling uncontrollably. He's completely satisfied with the outcome of his questioning. He can leave without feeling uncertain about where he stands with Luhan. The happy Baozi gives Luhans hand a squeeze, and runs his thumb along the soft skin in a random act of contentment.

The girly ringtone suddenly bursts out from Luhans pocket, ruining the sweet moment with its too-sweet melody. Luhans soft expression turns cold as he removes his other arm from its natural place around Minseok, and roughly grabs the phone to look at the screen. This time it's a text, which he reads with angry eyes. He sighs loudly, taking a step away from his new boyfriend.

"I have to go. I'll see you soon! I can't wait!" Luhans smile is back as he begins to walk away from Minseok, who forces a smile and waves in return. They stretch their arms out as far as they'll go before they're forced to let go.

Until tomorrow.

Not wanting to watch the perfect boy walk away, Minseok turns around abruptly and walks quickly in the opposite direction. He doesn't really pay attention to where he's going because he's lost in thought.

I'm so lucky. Jongdae was right. I'm a lucky bastard.

He grins like a fool.

Oh that's right, Jongdae will want to hear what happened.

Minseokis actually excited to tell his best friend about his day with Luhan. His eagerness kind of makes him feel like a silly teenage girl, but that's okay. He's way too happy to care.

He takes note of his surroundings, trying to figure out the best way to get to Jongdaes apartment. Somehow he's ended up in a dark street, with very few people. The shadows are long, seeming to reach out to try to swallow Minseok into them. It kind of creeps him out, so he turns around to retrace his steps out onto the bright main street. Out of the corner of his eye he catches a glimpse of movement in an alley off to the side. He ignores it and keeps walking, but his spine prickles with unease. He just wants to get out of here.

Suddenly he can't breathe as a crushing weight slams into his stomach, accompanied by a piercing pain. He gasps for air and doubles over. Something slams into him again, pushing him over so he falls hard onto the cold pavement.

Am I being jumped? Robbed?

He quickly recovers from the initial shock, and rolls over to get up before whoever, or whatever, attacked him can take advantage of his vulnerable position. He may be small and appear to he weak, but he's actually pretty strong. And he's fast. He jumps up from the ground and locates a figure charging towards him. He dodges, and grabs the persons arm, twisting it behind their back before flipping them to the ground. A classic move.
He quickly pins the person beneath him, using his full weight. The person is a guy, around the same age as him probably, that much Minseok can tell.

He's angry, "What the hell?? Who are you?" Minseok demands, twisting the struggling boys arm even more. It's not an attempt to hurt him, just an attempt to keep him immobile. Minseok hates fighting, but he's glad now that he had learned how.

The boy just growls in rage and struggles even more. He manages to throw Minseok off, and tackles him once again. Minseoks face ignites with a hot flame of pain as a fist makes contact with his cheek. He retaliates with a punch of his own, hitting his attacker square in the nose. He feels hot liquid on his knuckles and realizes that he's made the guys nose bleed. That makes him satisfied, if not a little bit sickened, and boosts his confidence a bit. He pushes the guy off of him again, and scrambles to his feet. He runs. He's not even going to bother continuing this fight. He'll probably lose anyway, and it's not worth it even if he wins.
Minseok runs all the way to Jongdaes place, his original destination. His face and stomach ache from where he's been hit, and his lungs are burning with a need for oxygen. He doesn't even have the energy to go up the stairs, so he just lays down at the bottom of them. He's not sure how long he stays there, but soon he can breathe a bit better. He still hurts all over though.

Footsteps echo above him, and a female form comes around the corner of the stairway. She gasps at the sight of Minseok laying there, and clatters in her high heels to his side. She helps him sit up, talking to him in a rushed voice, asking if he's okay, and what happened.
Minseok assures her that he's fine, and he sits up all the way. His surroundings spin at the sudden movement. The girl is still freaking out. He tries to focus his eyes on her face but it take a while since he's still lightheaded. Once his eyes are obeying him again he realizes that this is Jongdaes girlfriend.

"Oh hey, it's you. Would you mind getting Jongdae for me?" Minseok asks his best friends girlfriend. She nods and rushes back up the stairs. He can't remember her name, he only knows that it's her because Jongdae showed him a picture once. Jongdae has had so many girlfriends that he can never keep up with them all. He feels kind of bad though since he knows that Jongdae is actually really serious about this girl, and they've been together for more than two months now. A record. He makes a mental note to discover her name.

In a matter of moments, Jongdae is suddenly at his side, freaking out over him, much like his girlfriend had.

"What happened to you? Did you get beat up? Do you need me to go kill somebody for you?" Jongdae fires off one question after another.
They start to get ridiculous, "Was it Luhan?? Did he beat you up? Is he actually a mobster??" He gasps at his own crazy (and very wrong) conclusion.

Minseok rolls his eyes. "No it most definitely was not Luhan! I don't know who it was. I think they were trying to rob me."

He pokes his throbbing cheek and grimaces. "It was not pleasant...." He states. "Also I have stuff to tell you."

Despite his recent incident, he's still excited to tell Jongdae everything that happened with Luhan.

Jongdae grins, "Aah the date? I knew you would. Okay, get on!" He bends down, his back facing Minseok, who takes the hint and struggles to stand and climb onto his friends back.

They slowly proceed up the stairs. The apartment is 8 floors up, and by the time Jongdae trudges into it and drops Minseok down on the couch, he's almost in the same condition as his beat up friend. Minseok laughs as Jongdae collapses beside him with an exhausted huff.

His girlfriends heels click on the hardwood floor as she hurries into the room with two glasses of water for the boys. Minseok finally gets a good look at her. Jongdae was right, she's really hot. He's done well with this one...

Her eyes are big, kind of like Luhans, but not as unbelievably adorable. Her lips are the same bright pink as Luhans, but Minseok suspects that their colour is the result of lipstick.

This feels so wrong. Why am I comparing Luhan to a girl, and finding him more beautiful...?

Minseok already knows the answer, which is that Luhan is more beautiful. Without a doubt. He's the most beautiful person that Minseok has ever laid eyes on.

And now he's mine.

Minseok grins like an idiot at this thought. He feels guilty for comparing this girl to his perfect boyfriend, but he can't help it.
He also feels weird to think that he has a boyfriend. The word is not a normal part of his vocabulary. But, since the word pretty much just means that Luhan is his, he adds it to his mental dictionary.

Both boys gratefully chug their water, before Minseoks story begins.

"Alright." Jongdae says as he sets his glass down, "Start from the beginning."

So Minseok does. Every little detail flows out from him in a giant waterfall of words. He can't help it. There's so much to tell, and he desperately wants to know what Jongdae thinks about it all. Jongdae listens intently, surprisingly staying silent the whole time.

"I love him." Minseok finishes with a simple yet powerful statement.

Suddenly Jongdaes girlfriend has her arms around Minseok, "Oh my god. You are adorable. Jongdae, If he wasn't taken, I'd be leaving you for you're friend." She snuggles her head against Minseoks shoulder, causing Jongdae to stare at them in horror.

She looks up and winks at Minseok, letting him know that she's joking, but Jongdae doesn't see it, so he pouts and whines, like a pitiful puppy.

"SoHee, baby... I'm adorable too! Watch!" He proceeds to do aegyo.

Minseok rolls his eyes, and imprints the girls name into to his mind. SoHee. He'll remember that!

SoHee giggles and leaves Minseok to sit in Jongdaes lap, giving him a quick kiss before she turns back to talk to Minseok.

"Honestly though, that was the most adorable thing I've ever heard. Hold onto this boy. He sounds amazing. And you absolutely deserve him! I only just met you today as well, and I already love you too!" She smiles encouragingly, and it actually does encourage Minseok. She's so sweet. He gives her a quick hug and a thank you before saying to Jongdae, "I think I like your girlfriend more than I like you."

His friend gasps in mock hurt, "Minseok! After all the hard times I've gotten you through, this is how I'm repaid!?"

Minseok scoffs and plays along, "Right, remind me again who that wonderful person is that helps you through all of your breakups? I'd like to meet him and ask him how difficult that job must be."

Jongdae just glares in response, and SoHee laughs at him.
He shoves her gently before returning his attention to his best friend, "Okay, back on topic. I have only one critical question."

Minseok nods, grateful that his friend is giving feedback.

"Why the hell didn't you kiss him?? You were in his freaking apartment! Alone! In his arms, no doubt, and you didn't take advantage of that??" Jongdae shakes his head in disbelief, and SoHee joins in.

"I have to agree." She adds.

Minseok stares at them blankly, embarrassed that they're both being so blunt about it. Embarrassed that even the thought of kissing Luhan makes his body heat up and his hands shake in excited anticipation.

"I just.... Thought that..." Minseok sighs defeatedly at what he's about to admit to them, "I thought that it would be bad if every single step of our relationship occurred in one day. I don't want Luhan to get bored with me..." He looks down at his lap sadly.

SoHee coos, "Awwww, again, you are adorable! Okay, you're forgiven!"

This does nothing to lessen Minseoks embarrassment, but it helps him feel better about his decision. Suddenly he remembers something. Something very important.

The song. I have to start practicing Luhans song.

He reaches into his pocket to pull out the precious folded paper.... But his pocket is empty. He checks the other pocket, only to find a few coins and an old receipt for banana milk.
No song..

. ...

Minseok isn't a person who uses swear words lightly. He saves them for the times when he really feels like his life is falling apart.

"!" Minseok shouts in desperation, bolting off the couch and fumbling to check his back pockets. Nothing. He switches to his jacket, which he throws down in rage when he finds it empty as well. He can't find Luhans song. He had promised not to lose it. He had kissed the damn thing! He has to find it, he needs to.

"I... I have to go." He says to Jongdae and SoHee, who are looking at him with wide eyes. Without waiting for a reply, he bolts out of the apartment, ignoring his protesting body.

I'm so stupid. I can't believe I'd lose something so important! You're worthless after all, Kim Minseok, and now even Luhan will think so. He's going to hate you.

Tears spill onto Minseoks flushed cheeks, blurring his vision. He runs, retracing his steps, scanning every inch of the ground for anything that resembles the precious item. He curses the damn tears that keep him from seeing properly, but that just makes him cry harder. It's dark out by now, and with the night comes the cold, and he's suddenly aware that he had left his jacket at Jongdaes. It doesn't matter though. He's numb on the inside anyways, so freezing on the outside won't matter.

Soon, Minseok reaches the dark alley where the mysterious person had attacked him. He's wary of the shadows now. He studies each corner for signs of the person. Who knows, he might still be here, lurking, waiting to attack and rob other poor strangers like Minseok.

Wait. Rob? Maybe that guy stole the song!

His panic intensifies. Great. So now, not only has he lost it, but it's most likely in the hands of some random thief. Just great.
Minseok is overwhelmed. All of the wonderful confidence that had built up in him throughout the day is now crashing down around him. Crumbling, and dropping into the endless dark pit that is his despair.

Luhan is going to hate me. But I have to tell him. I can't live with the guilt until... I may as well get it over with now.

Minseok turns around, and walks stiffly in the direction of Luhans apartment. He's memorized the route, even after only going there once. The walk seems to fly by in a blur of freezing wind and hot tears. A mixture of temperatures, perfectly mirroring his emotions. He's devastated; sadness threatening to drown him in its cold depths, but he's also burning with red hot anger. At himself as well as at the person who stole the song.

The person who probably stole the song. Probably. You don't know for sure...

Minseok reminds himself.
But that's what he chooses to believe, because it hurts a lot less to believe that, than to believe that he just stupidly lost the precious sheet of paper on some random street corner.

All too soon, Minseok arrives at his destination. The door seems to laugh at him cruelly, as he stands there staring at it. He's too afraid to knock.

I was so afraid of Luhan hurting me, I never expected that I'd be the one to hurt him...

Finally Minseok draws enough of his remaining courage to take the final few steps to the door, and knock.

Once, twice, three times. He waits, but nobody answers.

"Lu-Luhan...?" He hesitantly calls out. There's still no answer. Luhan must not be home.

Minseoks energy drains completely, and he sinks to the ground, his back against the smooth, painted wood of the door. He'll just wait for Luhan to come home