Ending 2: Choice: Be brave and face Taemin to settle the problem

31st October

Minji took in a few deep breaths, garnering courage, she had decided to be brave and face Taemin to settle their problems. She realised that she needed a talk with Taemin to sort things out. They need a heart to heart talk. She need to understand Taemin's brain and heart. She needed to know what was he thinking when he stole away her first kiss. She needed to know what was his feelings to her. All they need is a pleasant talk, but would the talk even be pleasant? Minji have to take the risk.

Typing a text on her mobile phone had never been so difficult in her life. It was because choosing the right words gave Minji a hard time. The words chosen for the text is an important factor as it sets the tone right. What should the tone be anyway?

She initially typed: Taemin oppa, let’s meet up now. Where do you want?
It sounded like she isn’t mad at Taemin for even a bit and that everything is alright and it seemed like an invitation of a causal meeting between two friends. However that wasn’t the case.

Upon realising the wrong context set, she erased the chunk of words and replaced with: Let’s meet up.
However, with no details in the text, she knew that she would be then questioned by Taemin on the location on where to meet and that’s going to waste her time that she can use it to sleep after she come back from meeting Taemin.

She then added on to the initial words displaying on her mobile phone and it became: Let’s meet up at Han River, turn up by midnight, else, we won’t be meeting ever again.
That sounded harsh for that it was already 11:15pm and that it is further for Taemin to travel than Minji and that made her hesitated before she actually send the text to him. Then before she hit the send button, Minji then called Kikwang, wanting to politely decline Kikwang’s invitation and get a mini consultation from Kikwang.

Kikwang and Minji are relatively closed. They had hung up frequently and they are close and comfortable with each other. Kikwang is like an older brother to Minji for that he cares for her so brotherly. He would get her lunch during the rehearsals for the Halloween Inkigayo special during the October of 2010. Then whenever Kikwang and Minji met up from their own dance sharing which consist of battling dances with each other, he would always get her sandwiches for that they would need some light snacks during the breaks of their meetings.

After a couple of rings, Kikwang answered the call, “Yeboseyo, Minji-ah.”

“Oppa, I am sorry that I can’t meet you. I have to meet Taemin to talk things out,” Minji hesitated.

“About?” Kikwang inquired upon hearing the hesitation in her voice.

Minji then reasoned in a softer voice though she knew she could trust Kikwang, “Taemin had stole away my first kiss, without warning. I don’t know why but I responded back. Then, I ran from him because I was overwhelmed with feelings. I guess I decided that I should meet him and talk to him about it. Am I doing the right thing?”

Kikwang nodded in understanding the situation. He then encouraged Minji, “Minji, you are doing the right thing,” and he offered, “Do you need my help?”

Minji hesitated, “N-no need, I s-should be able to manage on my own. I guess... I will be at the Han River before twelve.”

Kikwang nodded. When he heard the extra information that Minji had gave him, he felt that she wanted his help but didn’t dare to voice up. He encouraged, “Minji, be courageous. I know you can do it!”

Minji smiled at Kikwang’s encouragement and she finished with, “Oppa thank you, we shall hang out on another day! Bye!”

After Minji bid goodbye to him, Kikwang replied the same and hung up the call. Kikwang was a bit worried about Minji which made him decided that he would go to Han River and check if Minji is okay, from afar. To him, Minji is just like a younger sister that he wanted to protect. He liked her lovely smiles, her aegyo, her cuteness. He liked her will to dance. Her dances are always powerful and having friendly battles are challenging as they battle to get on par with each others dance standard. He liked the way she teach him dances as she would put in her hundred percent in making sure that he learnt it right. He also liked the attentiveness as the way she learnt the dance was always a joy to him as it made him proud that she learnt it quickly and evacuate the dance moves sharply.

Minji ended the call with Kikwang. It was 11.20pm when she sent Taemin the text. Taemin would be able to meet Minji at the venue as he have a car though he stayed away from the area. Minji, on the other hand, stayed in the area. If she had a driver she would be able to reach in five minutes. Since the driver in the group, Dara wasn’t in the dorm, she would have to walk to the Han River all by herself. Minji quickly grabbed her jacket and wore it, it was autumn already and the temperature is about 18°C in the day and it would be cooler at the night. She then put a headphone over her head and connected the phone to the headphones, blasting music into her ears as she walked out of her dorm onto the streets. Staying in the district near the Han River, she can easily walk over within fifteen minutes time. It was late already so she strode as fast as possible while consolidating on what to say to Taemin. She was enjoying the cold fresh air and it smelled like freedom. It’s not that she does not enjoy being an Korean idol, it’s just that she is too a human and that she also need some freedom. Being free from the public eyes, is something that she too enjoyed.

Upon getting a reply from Minji, Taemin, who almost dozed off to sleep, woke up instantly. He had been feeling discomfort as his body heat sky-rocketed. He suspected that he caught flu due to the soaking in water for the long period of time that day. He wore his coat over and rushed to his car in the car park and set off from his dorm to Han River. He was overjoyed that he got a chance to explain his acts to Minji. He was cloud-nine that she allowed him to meet her. Taemin accelerated at the highest speed stated on the road, not exceeding the laws of the government, he was a considerate citizen after all.

Minji had arrived at the spot that she had agreed to meet Taemin, she smiled. She was glad that she was the one who arrived first. By arriving first, she gained the upper hand.She was even happier that that place was isolated. Two minutes after Minji arrived, she then saw Taemin, running towards her in his black coat. That makes two, the two blended well into the darkness.

“Minji,” Taemin panted, as he slowed down to stand few steps in front of Minji, followed by a series of coughs.

“You kept me waiting,” Minji insisted with her cold voice, with her eyes starring at Taemin, despite knowing the reason why he came later than her and that was the distance that he travelled was further than Minji.

Though it was dark, with dim lampposts around, they can clearly see each other. She could see his pale lips. He could see her swollen puffy eyes.

“Minji, I’m sorry. I had rushed from my dorm once I got your response,” Taemin said, as a matter of fact, with his warm eyes looking at Minji, it was clearly reflected in his eyes that he wanted Minji’s forgiveness.

In order not to allow herself to melt easily at the sight of Taemin warm eyes, Minji countered by changing the topic, “What do you want to talk about?”

“Us,” He gave a simple response with a small warm curve on his lips.

“There isn’t anything between us,” Minji countered, glaring at Taemin with her still cold eyes.

“If there isn’t anything between us, why would you respond to the kiss that I started with? You would have not respond, push me away and give me a tight slap. If there isn’t anything between us, why would you run away just now? You would have stayed there and we would talk about it, with me apologising. If there isn’t anything between us, why would you cry till your eyes so swollen and so red? You would have ignore me and not waste your time and tears on me. This proves that you have feelings for me,” Taemin predicted.

Minji eyes melted, the glare that she setted on Taemin melted into a warm gaze. The predictions that Taemin made were right and that surprised Minji. She couldn’t believe that Taemin actually knew Minji’s personality so well already, after several meet-ups within the three years some with Amber, some with the bunch of people who had collaborated together for the special stage on 31st October 2010, some with just the two of them. Never had she thought that he would be able to know her so well. In fact if she wasn’t in the emotional chaos, she would be composed and calm.

He was right, she does have feelings for him. She does like him. It was because of his words that made her realised that the mixed feelings were because it was liking. It was a feeling that was new to her for that she hadn’t been into any relationships yet. She hadn’t had time for that she had joined YG entertainment when she was in elementary school and her life had gotten busier since then. As much as her group always sing love songs, she never actually understood the feeling of being in love and all.

“You’re right...” Minji admitted breaking the silence bind in the atmosphere, she let out a small pause and continued on with a confession, “I like you else I won’t overreact. But even if I like you, you have no feelings for me. It’s a one-sided love. It’s meaningless. Anyways, let’s stop being friends, we are just people in the same industry so no need to meet up privately.”

With that Minji was about to sprint away from Taemin again. Her vision was blurred again with the familiar warm fluids. She had to contain the warm fluids in her eyes, hiding away her feelings. She was done with her conclusion and she had to go else her face will be stained by the warm fluids from her eyes again. However, she was pulled back by a strong force. Taemin grabbed her arm with force but not too tight as he was afraid that his strength might hurt Minji.

Taemin voice filled the atmosphere once more while Minji was forced to stand on the spot, “There is something about you that caused my heart to beat rapidly, it's the way I had never felt before around other girls, it's a new feeling to me. There is something about you that caused me to smile whenever I see you smile. There is something about you that made me personally pick gifts for you. There is something about you that made me want to be close to you, even without a real reason. Being around you brings me the overwhelming happiness that is more than happiness. You make me crazy over you till I became your fanboy, checking your schedules, fan taken photographs and a lot more. Before you asked if I was free today, I already know you are free and I had planned where to go beforehand. Always after spending a day with you, I would spend time recapping what we had done together like the dances we did together that day and I would dance to the dance moves you taught me while having a foolish smile on my face, or if you gave a me a signed album of yours, I looked at the content of the album repeatedly and then smile foolishly at the photographs of yours and I kept on touching the autograph you gave me. I am crazy over you! But I never realised. I never realised and always claimed that we are just friends. But today, before I went to find you, I realised that it was love. It was me who love you.”

As Minji expected, the warm fluids from her eyes welled down her face as her heart was overwhelmed by Taemin’s words. She never knew Taemin actions was more extreme than hers as she recalled herself being hooked onto Taemin’s music videos and fangirled, jumping around after getting Taemin’s autograph on his group album, and being like any other ordinary fangirl. Minji realised that she like Taemin because she realised that the happiness that Taemin gave was unique: not one that fans can give, not one that her group members can give, not one that anyone who care for her like a little sister can give and not one her parents can give.

The air was silence once more as Taemin had paused his confession, allowing her to have the time to absorb those things he said. Then, he stared intently into her eyes. Despite the darkness, both of them can see each other facial features distinctly. Taemin moved himself nearer to Minji and left a reasonable spacing between them but the hot breaths from each other can be felt. Taemin’s breath was warmer than Minji’s and that made Minji puzzled.

Taemin then continued by finishing his whole confession with a fine faint finish that was, “Minji, I love you. Would you be my girlfriend?”

Minji’s heart was already beating furiously, too fast for her liking. She felt her cheeks felt too warm and she was thankful that the darkness hid the blushes on her cheeks away from Taemin. She saw the proposal coming up, nevertheless, her heart was about to explode. Taemin eyes went soft on her, she knew that was because he was being patient with her. Wiping away her tears, her lips gave way curving up, forming a heart-warming smile, one that was able to melt Taemin’s heart. Taemin flashed a smile upon seeing that Minji had melted away the coldness she had earlier on.

Minji tipped toe. She shyly confessed in her softest voice, “I love you.” Though it was so soft, it was loud enough for Taemin to hear as the quietness by the Han River at this hour was a breathtaking scene for idols like them. After confessing to Taemin shyly, her cheeks began to burn, trying to hide away her burning cheeks from Taemin, Minji turned her head away in embarrassment. Taemin saw that and smiled while wrapping his arms around her shoulders. He then let out another series of cough. He seemed like he had caught a flu. Then both continued staying in the state of embrace but Minji felt something was wrong with Taemin as Taemin’s body temperature was getting warmer.

From the darkness, there was this voice, “Dongsaengs, hope you last long!” This particular voice brought the newest couple back to Earth from whatever paradise they thought they were in. This stunned the couple. Both of them had jumped on the spot and broke the embrace. They turned to the direction where the voice was coming from, it was a male who was wearing a pair of shades, a cap, a black jacket over him and a pair of black shoes. It was obvious that he’s an idol, who would wear shades in the middle of the night anyway? That male put his hands together and applauded. He took out his shades and flashed his smile.

It was Kikwang.

“Minji, I was quite worried about you. But seems like everything was fine, no, it became the start of a love story instead of the end of a friendship,” Kikwang said.

“Oppa, thank you for caring for me. But can you...” Minji paused glancing at Taemin for a bit and continued, “Can you keep this as a secret?”

Taemin nodded upon hearing Minji's request to Kikwang and he was not surprised with Minji’s request. He knew why she did that. They just started anyway. They are idols from the rivalry companies.

Kikwang smiled and answered, “No,” he paused getting the stunned expressions from the two of them which made him continue by, “I won’t tell the others.” That received relived smiles from the couple.

Minji faced Taemin, and touched his forehead and asked, “You not feeling well? You seemed to have a flu.”

Taemin shook his head.

“Kikwang oppa, can you check if Taemin have fever?”

Kikwang abided to that request and he nodded his head.

“You was alright just now,” Minji said as she remembered Taemin was all fit and healthy just hours ago.

“After you left me there, I stayed at that stop then the waves came clashing onto me,” Taemin said.

“Ah...” Minji mouth went wide and became guilty. She was touched by Taemin yet again. Minji then suggested, “Oppa, stay at my dorm tonight so I can look after you.”

Kikwang stared at Taemin and warned him, “You better not do anything to Minji.”

Taemin nodded and smiled.

Minji then asked, "Kikwang oppa, how about you also come along so we can exchange dance moves?"

Kikwang thought for a bit. Looking over at Minji then Taemin, who glared at him. He looked at Minji  again and replied, "Since I'm free, why not?"

Taemin shot a fury glare at Kikwang upon hearing his answer whilst Kikwang smirked at Taemin.

"Now, how are we going to go to her dorm when we have 2 cars and 3 of us?" Kikwang asked.

"The answer is obvious," Taemin said as he placed his arm across her shoulders.

"Which means that I'm following Kikwang oppa else I might be kidnap by you to God-knows-where," Minji said.

Taemin 's eyes were throwing out lava for the second time. In his heart, he was brewing the stew of jealousy. They had just became a couple but they cannot even send some alone time with her to build up this relationship. His jaw was hanging in the air. He had never expected that answer that Minji gave, in fact, he never saw that coming.

Kikwang played along, grinning from ear to ear. Kikwang reached out and held onto Minji hand. They walked a few steps forward. Kikwang then looked behind and saw a sulking Taemin.

"Minji-ah, go with your boyfriend. I better get going," Kikwang whispered.

"Oppa, let's play along. I want to know if he's the jealous type," Minji replied softly.

Minji walked a few steps behind while holding on Kikwang's hand, she interlocked  Taemin's hand. Together, they walked towards the place where the males had parked their car at. In the quite empty car park, they easily spotted their cars. Coincidentally, they parked their cars side by side.

Minji told something to Kikwang and he nodded his head. Minji then went to Taemin's car and sat on the driver seat before Taemin was able to do so.

"Oppa, let me drive. Safety first and you should rest so you can recover from your fever," Minji said.

Taemin nodded his head and grinned from ear to ear. They set off. In that ride, they began chatting and chatting. When they were really enjoying each other's presence, though Taemin's body temperature became higher, they arrived.

Kikwang was already out of his car waiting for the couple. He waited for the duo where Minji was supporting Taemin. Taemin's fever had gotten worse and was looking paler.

 After bringing Taemin in Minji's dorm, Kikwang excused himself, "Minji, my group members are calling me back. I should get going. Let's hang out another time!"

Minji nodded and allowed Kikwang to go. Taemin then walked towards Minji. Taemin then brought his hand over Minji's shoulder, expressing his closeness with Minji compared to Kikwang.

"Why did you do that?" Taemin exclaimed grumpily.

"Ehhh? Someone is jealous..." Minji teased Taemin.

Taemin nodded his head admitting, “As much as I want to deny, I am seriously jealous. Don’t purposely try to make me jealous the next time, okay?”

“Okay!” Minji agreed and Minji started to be Taemin's nurse for that day and took care of him.

Since that day, Taemin and Minji had been secretly dating. They would usually go to each other dorms when it is emptied or the unpopular places in South Korea. No one had caught the maknaes yet though their group members are quite suspicious that the maknae of their group is dating someone. But never would they expect the maknaes to be dating the other from the rival company.