Sandcastle 2 – Yesterday

Sandcastle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“We tried everything but…”

 

“EVERYTHING?! If you really tried everything then why is my son lying there in that white bed, lifeless?” The man with clothes soaked in the rain angrily yelled in the corridor as he grabbed the collar of the doctor in charge that night. “If you really are a doctor, you’ll be able to save my son’s life!” He wailed once more as he can’t accept the fact that his only son, the son he loves the most, whom he doesn’t know was a part of gang of young men, got involved in a gang war, and was shot right through his chest.

 

“W-We are not gods.” The young doctor, who has just started his residency at the hospital and was assigned in the Emergency department that night, reasoned out.

 

“What kind of reason is that? You’re not a good doctor! You’re useless! You don’t know anything! You’re just a ing bast*rd!” The man shouted before he punched him in the face and shoved him on the cold floor of the hospital.

 

“Dr. Kim!” The nurses who were trying to stop the man shouted, as they too weren’t able to stop the enraged man.

 

It has been years since that incident happened.

 

But it left a deep mark in his soul.

 

Each time he losses a patient, he doubts his skills. He doubts himself. If it weren’t for his younger sister, he would’ve quitted a long time ago. It if weren’t for the promise he made with his sister before she died of brain tumor, he wouldn’t be right there, sitting in his own clinic in the very hospital, where his sister died and that incident happened.

 

He looked at his watch as the last patient for that day stepped out of the clinic and decided to go out for a walk. There was a small park in rooftop of the hospital that he frequents and everytime he goes there, he looks up at the sky and silently talks to his sister, whom he believes is smiling up above the heavens, looking down at him.

 

As he was walking on his way towards the elevator, he noticed a crowd in the lobby of the hospital. There, he saw some cameras on standby and flashing lights, which bothered him. He then asked a nurse, who passed by his way what’s happening in the lobby, and only got an answer, “TVXQ,” as she rushed to where the crowd is.

 

He doesn’t really have much information about the said group. He only knows them by name, and that according to the newspapers and television, which he rarely use since he only watch TV for the news updates, the said group is one of the most famous when it comes to Hallyu wave. He doesn’t really care much since it was just a year ago since he came back from the US after completing his residency in a hospital there in Neurology. And there in the crazy daily living in America, he found refuge in listening to classical and jazz music.

 

Meanwhile, amongst the crowds in the said hospital, the duo composed of Jung “U-know” Yunho and Shim “Max” Changmin, stepped out of their own cars that were the fruit of their years of working in the entertainment industry. Being the leader and the eldest, Yunho has always lived under the pressure of being a mature, responsible adult ever since he started training under their entertainment company, SM Entertainment. Starting at a young age, he gave up what it’s supposed to feel like a teenager to pursue his dreams. He went to Seoul alone and took different part-time jobs to sustain himself, but there were also times that he’d feel like quitting and just go back home. He’d quickly change his mind every time he looks at himself years after if he’d continue his training and struggles. Right there, he was standing in front of his fans, holding the microphone in his hand, singing and dancing to his heart’s content, as if there’s no tomorrow.

 

He was not born as a strong person, but he had to. And so, leaving his youth behind, he worked hard to be where he is right now. All those tears and sweat were worth it.

 

But as he became famous, he sometimes overworks himself. There are times that he loses track of time and even overlook his own health.

 

His fans might see him as a strong man, a reliable leader.

 

But whether he likes it or not, he has to accept the fact that he needs someone who’ll look after him and take care of him.

 

“Everything will be alright. You can do this. You’ll get through this, okay? FIGHTING!” He encouraged the little girl in the Pediatric Hema-Onco ward. Afterwards he, together with , Max, performed a song that she requested.

 

“You really like kids huh?” Changmin remarked as soon as they got inside their van to go to their next schedule.

 

The older man smiled before saying, “Hm. Maybe it’s because it feels like I can somehow bring out that little kid in me.”

 

“Hmm…” The younger nodded in response. “Anyway, hyung!” He called their manager, who’s sitting in front of them. “Can we stop by that coffee shop? I’m kind of hungry.”

 

The men inside then laughed before their manager responded, “When are you not hungry? We can. I’ll also get some coffee for us. It’s going to be a long day anyway.”

 

-----------------------------------

 

A shorthaired girl heaved a deep sigh before closing a small journal and put it in her bag. It was lunch br

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter