Sandcastle 1 – Old faded photograph

Sandcastle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: You might want to check the Foreword first before reading the first chapter, which focuses on Jung Soojung's character in this story.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Happiness. Some people perceive that you are living in happiness if you smile a lot or laugh a lot. If one is to ask a child, he may get the answer of the being able to have that very beautiful toy regardless of its price or being able to eat the sweetest chocolate or candies ever existed in the world. There are some wise men though who say that happiness is when you are contented with whatever you have, and you no longer worry about tomorrow.

Having a happy life is all I ever want since I was a child. Being born from an average family, I've seen how my parents worked hard everyday just so we'll have food in our table and have our own comfortable and warm home. I grew up filled with love from my friends and family, but I have a dream. I was in high school when I realized that I want to be a ramp model and later on have an important place in the fashion scene. Some doubted that I'll ever reach my dreams because I'm just a girl from the countryside. So when I found an opportunity to have a taste of living my dream, I took the first bus to the capital city and enrolled myself in a modeling school.

It was hard for an 18 year old, who has never set foot in Seoul, to live. I got myself a small apartment that my small salary from my two part-time jobs, could afford. I got a culture-shock for the first month that I stayed in Seoul. It was hard catching up with the fast-paced life int he city and the independence of people. I knew it'd be like this, but i never imagined that it would be like this.

There was just this one day when got back in my apartment after a tiring day, that I asked myself, "Is there really a place for someone like me in here?" I started to doubt the possibilities that I'll be able to reach my dreams and for nights, that realization hit me down to my roots that it started to kill my hopes and my urge to fight.

"Say, you are like this ink pen." My workmate in the coffee shop, where I'm working at, started when I told her my problems.

"How did I become like that ink pen, Amber?" I asked her.

"This is just a cheap ink pen that I bought in the bookstore..." She continued, but hearing that it was just a cheap pen, and that she compared me to it, made me a bit mad and annoyed at her.

"Here I am thinking that you're going to comfort me as a friend. Thanks for hurting my feelings even more." I said as I cut her and motioned to leave the employee's locker room, only to be stopped when she grabbed my wrist.

"Can you please just let me finish first before you walk out on me?"

Knowing that she won't let go of my wrist, I slumped back at the bench where I was seating earlier and annoyingly looked at her. "Now what?"

Sensing that I'm now ready to listen to her, she picked up a white paper and started scribbling random shapes and lines on it using the cheap pen.

"Did you see what this pen did to the white paper? It's cheap, but it was still able to leave a mark in this white paper. It can be as small as this dot..." She said as she pointed the pen on the paper and left a small dot on it. "Or you can leave the point of this pen in this exact position and see what happens. It left a big blot right?" She asked as she looked at me, who's still busy looking at the blot on the paper. "It doesn't matter if you're just a countryside girl Soojung. Of course, what are you compared to those rich kids in the fashion school right? The point here is, whether I use an expensive pen, you will both have the same function. It's now up to you if you're going to be that pen which will leave a big blot or the pen that will draw the most elegant designs the world has ever seen, or if you're going to be that pen that will only leave a small dot and that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter