제 16 장

The Girl with Pink Hair

 Hana’s POV

Jimin poked my arm, and made me look at him in annoyed face, ‘Bwoh?’ I mouthed at him. He grinned, “I’m bored.” Well, the teacher is teaching and he’ll notice us any soon by now.

I took out 3 different of colours file from my bag and I hand it to him, “That’s for you.” He slowly opened the file and he slumped his shoulders and his expression turned as he sighed even loudly, “Thanks and I wouldn’t imagine that the home works will be these much.”

After 10 minutes of end-day prayer, all of us packed our stuff and making our way to go home. “How can I finish all of this?” Jimin mumbled. Ara laughed, “You should thank her than sighing all-day bagel boy.”

He glared, “Half of these must be passing up by this week and I just … *sigh” Seriously, Jimin, it’s not that hard.

“I’ll be going now.” Jina and Ara mentioned. I nod and gave them a hug, “See you tomorrow.” I waved at them and sat back on my seat. “Aren’t you gonna home now?” I ask him.

He laid his head on the desk, “I will in another half an hour. Hyung trapped in a traffic.” He mumbled and slowly closed his eyes. I smiled and ruffled his mushroom hair, “Well, I must be gone now. See you.”

I slung my bag over my shoulder and something flicks my mind at that moment, “Oh Jimin. In case you’re having trouble with the works, you can call or text me. I left my number in one of the files.” He only raised his thumb up and waved without lift his head from the head.

He sure feeling damn tired. I look along the corridor only a few students around and it’s quite deserted from what I normally had in the morning. The feels was like dead.

“Hana! Wait up!” I turned around and to my concern, it wasn’t Jimin but Sehun. I crossed my arms and look at him, “What do you want?”

Sehun, don’t you have a life? I can’t have you chasing me all around whenever you see me in school and clinging on me. I had a hard time last night and my relationship with my aunt and uncle are at the peak of an iceberg. It’s in bad terms, alright?

He smirked, “What’s up love? How are you feeling?” he placed his arms at the back of my back, like on the waist. Dude, I’m not even your girlfriend. Don’t touch me! I made a slight gap between me and Sehun, “Sehun, what do you want?”

Sehun wiped his invisible tears, “I can’t believe you remember my name. Don’t worry; I’m not doing anything to you, yet.” He winked.

“I was planning to watch some movies. Wanna come?” he grabbed my wrist.

I look at him, “Don’t worry. The guys will be there too.” He added. I snickered and pull my wrist from him, “I have my own plans and thank you for your offer.” I left Sehun with his shocked face at the corridor and walks off.

I fastened my pace and I saw my uncle leaning on the driver’s door, fiddling with his phone. What is he doing here? I walk to the school gates, “Hi Hana.” Uncle greets me. I try to smile and slightly bowed at him, “I was thinking having lunch with you.” He took my backpack and escorts me to the passenger seat beside him.

I can’t give any response since we’re already on our way there. “Hana, are you okay?” Now he noticed why I am so quiet all the way. I nodded, “I’m sorry about yesterday.” I try to say in the softest voice I’ve ever made.

Although, I felt guilty, but I felt slightly amused with everything that happened. “How’s your day?” he try to make it up to me since the bad argument last night. “Fine.”

He pulled the car and parked it aside, “Hana, if it’s regarding about what we’re having last night, I bid my apologies, so does your aunt. We’re just worried. We can make it out.” I don’t even wanna talk about that.

“So, you think by having a decent lunch at some fancy restaurant can make it up to me?” I asked him back. He looks surprised and finding his right words, “I get it. I’m the unfortunate daughter that nobody wishes for. I’m the omen for the family.” I try to open the car’s door but it won’t budge.

It still locks.

He sighed, “Hana, whatever you’re having right now, you have to let it out. You can’t bottle up every problem inside you.” For some reasons, his words sounds like an understanding father. “I know, it must be hard being raised without your father by your side and your mom hardly gave her attention to you.

Your childhood for the past three years wasn’t the same as the other kids around your neighbourhood. We try to understand you and you have to help us to understand you. I know you don’t wanna share your past life or your privacies with us, but for your information, we’re always ready when you need someone. Even when we’re busy with our works.”

“Then what?” I mumbled.

He smiled, “Finally, my niece is talking to me.” I raised my eyebrow at him. What the heck just happen? He starts over the engine and get back on the road, “So, any request for lunch?” well, I’m engraving for pizza right now.

“My treat. Anything would be fine.” I looked at my nervous fingers and tapped on my lap a few times. He’s right, maybe I act too much on my selfishness and doesn’t concern about people who really can help me.

Why am I like this? Can someone explain to me?!

“Hana~” uncle cooed. “Y-yeah?” I look at him. “What do you want to eat? Your stomach’s growled louder than mine.” He teased. I glared at him, “Pizza would be fine. Papa John?” I gave suggestion on one of my favourite restaurant.

He giggled, “I was thinking the same thing.” I giggled and sat patiently in the car, waiting for him to park the car in this parking area. “Is this gonna be safe?” I asked him for the umpteenth time since we’re at a shopping complex.

And I don’t wanna the same thing happen like we went to Myeongdong.

He sighed, “Oh my god! Hana, it’ll be fine.”

He walks next to me in the shopping complex. So, it’s 2.30 now and it’s not that crowded with people, but mostly occupied with high school students. “Look! Isn’t that JYP?” an older woman said to her friend when we walk in front of her.

“Excuse me, are you JYP? I’m a fan of yours.” a middle school kind-of student stopped us. JYP look at her, “Yes. Thank you for being my fan.”

“Oppa, who is she? Is she your daughter? Your cousin?” the girl asked. JYP grinned, “You can choose any of that. I have to eat right now, I’m kinda hungry. I’ll se you girls soon.” He waved.

The girl look surprised but, “See you soon, oppa.”

“Where is that restaurant?” he mumbled while taking his steps to the elevator.

“Oh! There!” I point accidently in a high-pitch voice which made some people around look at me. I bowed in apology. “Table for 2.” He said to the customer reception and we’re seated next to the glass window which everyone can have a clear view of me.

“Aren’t you to be too young to be call as ‘oppa’?” I really don’t like that call. But Ahjusshi sounds too old for me. Ugh! Have you guys had this moment? Confuse to call older guys as oppa or Ahjusshi because they’re in the 30’s.

He shrugged, “Nope. I don’t mind. Even there was once a girl called me Ahjusshi because he thought I was his uncle.” I laughed badly at that one. But, uncle doesn’t look young or old either.

“Uncle, can I ask you something?”

He nods and sipped his coke, “Does aunt still mad at me?”

I brushed my hair, “No, she isn’t. In fact, she’s worried more than I am when you when ‘out’ last night. She didn’t slept last night, waiting for you. In the end, she falls asleep when I insist.” I look down; try to register every word that I’d said to her and my stupid action. I sighed, “Can we go somewhere after this?”

He nods, “Sure but these have to be done first!” he point at the chicken wings, cheese stick and an 11-inch size pizza. It’s not that much, but I’m damn starving since I didn’t have my breakfast this morning.

I heard few click sounds from outside. I took a glance and there is a group of fangirls with their huge camera with lenses, taking photos of me and uncle. I tapped the table and point outside. “Oh, look! You have your own fans!” he smiled.

I look at the crowd again and some of them waved. ‘Me?’ I mouthed and they nod. I waved back and gave few smiles to the camera with uncle and continue our food adventure.

After 15 minutes of silence, enjoying our food, uncle swipe his card, “Hana, do need anything? Your girls stuff?” (Like pads, tampons etc) he whispered at the last sentence when we walk out. I shook my head, “Nah, everything’s are fine.”

We went around the complex and uncle decides to buy something for aunt since there are Christmas sale. “Black or white?” he asked for the colours for the knitted blouse for aunt. “White. It’ll look nice on her.”

He nods and paid at the counter. *Buzz* Oh, a message in.

To Hana:

I got a major headache. – J

From Hana:

You should take a rest and don’t force yourself too much. Bagel boy, are you home?

To Hana:

NO! Hyung is still stuck in the traffic. I’m with the basketball school team.

From Hana:

It’s already 1hour. That’s a bad traffic. You want me to fetch you home? Wait, you play baskets?

Uncle drag me and encircle his arm around my arms to the car, “Looks like you’re having a conversation with your boyfriend.” He wiggles his eyebrow. I gave him are-you-kidding look. “He’s a classmate of mine.”

To Hana:

It’s alright though. I can wait a couple more minutes. If he’s not here, I’ll be walking home. I do play. With the maknae sometimes.

From Hana:

Alright, if you said so. Have you eaten your lunch?

No One’s POV

The car ride was accompanied with Hana’s giggles and the smooth engine sound. “Hana, you ask me that we could go somewhere after we ate. Where do you wanna go?”

 Hana’s finger stopped from tapping her phone screen and look back at her uncle, “I wanna visit daddy.” Her uncle smiled and changed their route.

To Hana:

Yeah. These guys treat me some Starbucks and Burger King. Sure thing, they’re rich. Hey, where are you?

From Hana:

Wow! I bet they spend nearly 100$ of even more. I’m going somewhere to ease my mind.

To Hana:

Well, I hope you’re fine and take care cheerleader. See you tomorrow.

Hana smiled at Jimin’s last text. Her uncle drove to the Yanghwajin Foreigners Cemetery, where her father buried. “Are you okay? You look pale. We can go back home and come back when you’re …”

Hana shook her head and smiled, “I’m fine and let’s not make him wait.”

They tightened their jacket onto their body. The cold winds blow as it giving a clue that snow will be coming any soon. Hana and her uncle made their way to the cemetery’s office. “How may I help you?” Hana look around.

Hana look back at the guy, before she could answer, “Yes. I’m the legal guardian of Dayton Park’s daughter. We’re here to visit him.” Jin Young said to the guy in responsible. Hana wait for the ‘receptionist’ guy with few papers in his hand, “Park Hana? If you may, please sign here.”

Hana walks forward and saw few names above hers. That bad handwriting made her paused her gaze. Her mind rang a bell and then, she written some information in the papers. “You too sir.”

“You just need to walk straight ahead and turn left on the second junction. You’ll find his tombstone, right away.” JYP and Hana bowed.

They walk out and kept in silence. “Who’d visit dad before?” Hana asked out of the blue. Her uncle smiled at a glimpse, “We did. Your aunt and I. A Couple of times when we’re free and whenever we missed him.” Hana slightly nods.

“Uncle, why isn’t dad’s name is in Korean? I mean, he’s Korean, right?”

JYP smiled, “From what your aunt told your great grandfather was a reverend. During your father was born, he gave that name to him. So, he use that name until he grew up.”

“But, isn’t aunt supposed to have liked ‘that’ kind of name?” Hana grew in suspicious. “That is the saddest part. A year before your aunt was born, your great grandfather died. Your great grandmother gave her Korean name. I know, I kinda confused with the whole thing, but it’s not that important though.”

Their pace paused as they arrived in front of Hana’s father’s tombstone. Hana hung her head low and softly sighed. JYP bowed, “Annyeonghaseyo, Hyung, I finally bring your daughter along.”

“She’s grown beautifully. You must be proud with her. I must say, she’s the brightest kid I’ve met. Hana is moving to Korea until whenever she’s legal. Don’t blame my Hae Young but your wife asks us a favour to look after her. I must say, we’ll never regret having her.”

JYP having his time, praising on Hana at Dayton. Hana secretly laughed, ‘You don’t have to make me look like a nerd, uncle.’ She thought to herself. “Well, I think she needs to talk to you and you gonna have some time with your daughter.”

JYP gave a soft peck on Hana’s head, “I’ll be at the bench behind and I won’t eavesdrop you. Take your time.”

In memories,

Dayton Park

1970·07·29-2010·07·29

Husband-Father-Engineer

The world will never forget.

“H-hi dad! It’s me, Hana. I’m here, seeing you again after 13 years.” One tear escape. Hana softly giggled as her tears begin to sprawl out, “It’s been a while. I was 15 the last I came and I’m back. I’m sorry that you have to see me, crying like this.”

She wiped her tears away with the back of her hand and sat comfortably on the grass, “I just came back from lunch with uncle and I didn’t get home yet, since I’m still in my uniform. Dad, I miss you. I can only see you in photos but that doesn’t mean anything to me. All those feelings, I can’t keep it together. I miss you dearly dad.” She softly sighed.

“Dad, sometimes I wonder how things will be going on if you’re still here. I’m not blaming on anybody but I guess God’s have destined my fate, yours and our family. Life won’t be this miserable.” Hana mumbled the last sentence.

“Aunty and uncle have taken care of me, very well. It’s just that, I’m still being to my old self lately. Oh, I met few friends at my new school here. And I join the school cheerleading team. Yeah, it’s weird but I gave a shot and I made in.

You know dad, I really miss you. I need you by my side. Even when you’re gone from my sight, but I believe you’re still with me. You probably wonder why mom’s not here. She’s still in Dallas, work. She misses you too and she sent her regards.”

JYP walks back to Hana, “You still wanna have this conversation?” Hana smiled, “Dad, it’s been a while, I’m talking to you; nearly 2 hours though. I’m gonna miss you dad.”

“Hyung, we’ll come again. We have to be home right now. I'm worried that Hae Young will be worry. I’ll bring Hae Young too, when we visit you. Goodbye!” JYP and Hana bowed the last.

“Goodbye dad! I’ll visit you around.”  She caressed the tombstone and walk together with her uncle. 


 

 

Oh lord, don't tell me. It's bad, isn't it?