June

The Twelve (on hiatus: writer's block)
Please log in to read the full chapter

J U N E

“Oh, I feel the patient’s heartbeat. Nurse Gui Le, can you call Mr. Minseok for me? Oh, and her parents as well.”

My eyes fluttered open. A white room greeted me, along with a small green plant of some sort. A young man jotted down a few notes, I assume. He was mumbling things in Korean. He looked at me in curiosity, and then at the monitor hung above my head.

“Hello. How are you feeling, my friend?” he asked. My stomach growled in hunger, and the man chuckled away. I turned my face away in shame and embarrassment.

“I am not anyone’s friend. Tell me, where is Xiumin?” I asked in my broken Mandarin.

“Mr. Kim Minseok? Oh, he had to go back to college and attend his lessons. And it’s okay, don’t try too hard speaking Mandarin. I can speak Korean just fine,” the man replied.

“Who are you?” I snapped back in Korean.

“Byun Baekhyun. Also known as, your doctor,” he said with a big smile.

“Doctor? How old are you? 12?” I mumbled, stifling a laugh.

“Yah. That hurt. I am a manly 25-year-old for your information,” Baekhyun said, pretending to pout. A nurse rushed in with my parents, who had trailed behind her.

“Baekhyun, is she okay?” My mother asked, worriedly. Oh, so now she starts to care? When I nearly met death? 

“Yeah. Thankfully, she had a very short coma. I expected around, hm, 6 months? Fortunately she woke up in a week. I believe it is the work of a miracle,” Baekhyun replied. Coma? I was in a coma?

"Mwoh? What coma? Baekhyun-ssi, what are you talking about?" I asked in frustration.

"Mr. Minseok told me you were hit by a vehicle in the street," Baekhyun said, looking through a series of papers. I tried to recollect my thoughts. I remember feeling emotions for Xiumin, angrily walking out into the streets. I remember now. It was a hit and run. 

"So, how long will my daughter need to rest?" My father asked. Baekhyun scratched his chin, and thought for a bit. 

"Maybe a week or two. Just to make sure she will be okay," Baekhyun replied. My mother and father bowed and left. Dad was probably late for a meeting or something. They seemed to be in a rush. Why bother showing up then?

"What do I do now?" I asked Baekhyun. He pulled out a chair and placed it next to my bedside. He took a seat and plopped his elbows onto the bed. 

"Well, tell me about yourself sweetie," Baekhyun said flirtaciously. I scoffed. What kind of doctor talks like that? 

"Who do you think you are?" I screeched. 

"Byun Baekhyun. Age 25. Doctor at Beij--"

"Just leave me alone." I spat at him, cutting him off mid-sentence. He gave me a weird surprised look.

"Usually people enjoy talking with me; what makes you so different?" Baekhyun asked in pure curiousity.

"I am not who you think you are. Trust me, I am not someone worth your time," I mumbled.

The night at the hospital was lonesome. I stared up at the ceiling fan hung above me, distributing cold air through out the room. No one to talk to, too many things on my mind. I felt out of place. I couldn't understand my emotions or how I was feeling. I felt a strange emptiness inside of me. I didn't feel a secure sense of safety.

I wanted to go back to Korea. See if Jongin was still around, my only friend there. But what if he wasn't nice to me anymore? He might not even have the same feelings for me like he had before. He was a playboy, right? Once a playboy, always a playboy. He probably wouldn't change

I think back to the beginning of this year. Joonmyun and his heart cancer. Yifan and his arranged marriage. Kai and his popularity. Tao and his new love. Xiumin and his steam bun addiction. And here I am, with no one. Lost in the world without any guidance. Losing everything I get, everyone I love. 

I felt like a failure. Maybe I was one.

I woke up hearing a rap on the door. The time was around noon. 

"C-Come in," I mumble. Baekhyun peeked out of the doorway, holding a plastic bag.

"Good afternoon, jagiya!" Baekhyun sang in his cheeky voice. His smile was stretched along his face, as he placed the bag on my bedside.

"Jagiya? And what's in here?" I asked, pointing at the whit

Please log in to read the full chapter