Ming Ming: "First Snow"

_cam17

                “You know,” my coworker sighed wistfully.  “They say that whoever you spend the first snow with is your soul mate.”  We were in the break room, getting our things after the end of our shift.

                I scoffed.  “If that was true, I’d have a hundred different soul mates.”

                She frowned and threw a lip balm she kept in her locker at me. 

                “Your cynicism is not appreciated.  I have a feeling this year will be special.”

                I rolled my eyes.  She was the sappy romantic type, although it seemed she could never stick with one guy for a period longer than a month.

                “What about you?” she asked as we left the room and went to the front, where the manager was doing inventory at the register.  “What about that Ming Ming guy you’re always talking about?”

                I whipped around and gave her a look, to which she responded with a laugh.

                “You have such a big crush on him, it’s hilarious.”

                I shook my head at her and said goodbye to the manager.

                “You sure that’s going to be enough to keep you warm?” she asked as I shrugged on my jacket.  I glanced warily at the darkening street.  The difference in temperature from the inside compared to the outside was making the windows fog up.  The coat I had left the house with had been fine at the time, but now I wasn’t so sure.

                “I think I’ll be fine.  It’s not far to the bus stop,” I told her, trying to reassure not only her but also myself.  Just then, the door to the clothing shop swung open and my friend walked in.  She spotted me.

                “There you are!  Come to the park with us; they’re having some sort of Christmas tree lighting festival,” she chirped cheerfully.

                “Right now?” I asked, shivering slightly at the burst of cold air she had let in.

                “Yeah, everyone’s going,” she told me.

                “I…” my voice trailed off as I saw none other than Yao Ming Ming standing outside.  Our gazes met and he grinned and waved.  “Maybe just for a little bit,” I agreed.  My coworker gave me a knowing smile.

 

                “What time does this start?” I asked my friend through chattering teeth as we stood at the park, surrounded by people.  There were reports of celebrity guest appearances at the event, which would explain the crowd.  Even then, the body heat wasn’t enough to keep me from shaking like a leaf.

                “In five minutes,” she replied, glancing at her phone.

                “Are you cold?” Ming Ming asked beside me.

                “Just a little,” I lied, trying not to sound weak.  In fact, I was freezing, my hands and feet going numb.  The temperature had dropped ten degrees since I went for work and the occasional chilly gust wasn’t helping one bit. 

                “Here,” he said, pulling a heat pack from his pocket.  “I’ll share one with you.”

                I laughed and took it, thanking him. But then he also unwrapped the scarf around his neck and draped it around mine.

                “You’re not dressed for this,” he observed.

                I had recovered quickly enough from the initial shock of his gesture to glare at my friend.  “I didn’t know I was coming.  A little warning would have been nice.”

                My friend dismissed my apparent irritance.  “Life is about spontaneity.”

                Ming Ming laughed and looked up at the sky.  “I hope it snows. Wouldn’t that be cool?  If they lit up the tree and suddenly – bam! – the first snow of the year?”

                My coworker’s words echoed in the back of my mind.  I simply nodded and smiled.

                The warmth from talking to him didn’t last long though.  Soon enough, my nose was running and I’d lost all feeling in my toes.  My friends started moving to be closer to the huge Christmas tree, but I hesitated.

                “Why are you just standing there for?” my friend asked.

                “I’m going to go find a coffee shop to sit in,” I decided.

                “But what about...” Her eyes darted in Ming Ming’s direction.  He was unaware that we were straggling and was moving forward with the rest of our group. 

                “I’ll meet up with you guys afterwards,” I told her.  She raised an eyebrow as if to say “suit yourself” and turned to join the others.  I sighed, blowing a puff of white smoke into the air.  So much for that.

                I left the park and found solace at a nearby café.  It was blissfully warm, and I shed my jacket as I took a seat at the window bar.  I was careful with Ming Ming’s scarf and heat pack, setting them neatly on the counter.  I rubbed my hands together and looked through the menu.  The bells at the door jingled as someone stepped in.

                “There you are!” exclaimed Ming Ming.  “I was afraid we lost you in the crowd.”

                My eyes widened.  “What are you doing here?  The event started.”

                He sat beside me and took off his coat.  “I didn’t want you to be alone.”

                “But—”

                “Have you ordered yet?” Ming Ming asked, cutting me off.  “I could use some hot chocolate.”

                “Me too,” I said, fishing some bills out of my wallet and starting to stand.  “Stay here.  I’ll treat you.”

                “Don’t be ridiculous,” he replied, putting his hands on my shoulders and lowering me back into my seat.  He strode up to the counter, looking back occasionally to make sure I remained still.  I smiled and turned to face the window.  I could see the tree from this distance, towering over the rest.  It suddenly lit up as someone turned the switch and there was distant cheering.

                Ming Ming returned with our order and set mine in front of me.

                “Hey, we still get a good view from here.  You were smart.”

                “Yeah, but you won’t get to see the mini concert.  I heard a girl group is performing.”

                He pretended to sob with disappointment and we laughed.  He focused his attention on his drink, blowing through the steam.  I looked out the window again and saw a little white speck float across my view.  Then another.

                I blinked, thinking that it might be a trick of the eye, but then more began to gently fall.

                “Ming Ming, it’s snowing,” I said in awe.  He raised his head and put down his drink.  The sky was now full of small flakes.  He grinned warmly and took my hand.

                “Good.”