Seungcheol: "Taekwondo"

_cam17

                I had already waited until I was sure all the boys had left the room, but I changed in the showers anyway in case a straggler decided to walk in on me dressing.  I petitioned several times for our gym to get a girls locker room, but with me being the only girl and the gym being short on funds, it seemed like that wasn’t going to be an option for awhile. 

                I swept my hair in a ponytail and gave myself a quick assessment in the mirror.  I didn’t know why I was being such a girl about getting dressed in the guy’s locker room.  I had always been a tomboy anyway, and it was just underwear.  Like a bikini, but made of cloth.  Then again, I never wore bikinis either.

                I stepped out onto the mats and was paired with my sparring partner for the day, a lean guy who’d just recently gotten his black belt.  He grimaced when he heard our names called together and for a moment I felt sorry for him.  He wasn’t walking away without bruises today, not with me as his opposite.  I stretched a bit and sighed.  It would be another uneventful day. 

                By the end of the three rounds, the boy had only scored once and was sweating hard, lying on the ground. I approached him.  He flinched when I outstretched my hand to help him up.

                “She’s scary, isn’t she?” a voice said from behind me. 

                I turned abruptly at the familiar sound.  I stared blankly at the boy who stood beside me.  He offered his hand to my sparring partner, who took it and hoisted himself up.  He then turned his attention to me.

                “Long time, no see,” he said with a grin.

                “Seungcheol, what are you doing here?” I asked. 

                “Came to look around, see what’s new.  You’ve improved.”

                “Spar with me.”

                He laughed.  “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

                “Why not?” I was already fired up at the mere thought of getting to spar with my old rival. 

                “I’m kind of rusty.  And I don’t want to fight you after not seeing you in the gym for so long.” 

                “You’re not scared, are you?”

                His face set into a smirk at my taunt.  “Well, if it’s what you want…”

 

                Twenty minutes later, I was lying on my back, my hair loose and my chest heaving from my harsh breaths.  It had been awhile since I was so worn out.  I struggled to pull myself to my feet but did anyway before Seungcheol could offer to help.  I walked off the mats with my chin up, even though I was completely mortified.  Throughout the entire match, I hadn’t scored at all. 

               

                Back in the locker room, I peeled my uniform off and changed into the t-shirt and athletic shorts I’d walked in with.  My body was sticky with sweat and I was sore.  I moved to the mirrors and inspected my battle wounds.  There was a particularly nasty bruise forming on my hip where Seungcheol had kicked me and another on my arm. I sighed and splashed some water on my face.  It was embarrassing, but I asked for it.  After growing up in Taekwondo alongside him I sometimes forgot he was bigger and more powerful than I was. 

                “Oh, you’re here,” Seungcheol said.  I raised my head and caught his reflection in the mirror.

                I immediately covered my eyes, shielding my gaze from his currently bare chest.  “Um, do you mind?”

                “Ah, sorry.”  I could hear the sound of fabric slipping over skin and I lowered my hands.  “They should really make a second locker room for you.”

                “They’re not going to spend the money just for one girl.”

                “Still. It’s fine when it’s me, but not all those other guys on your team.”

                I raised an eyebrow.  “What makes you think it’s okay when it’s you?” 

                He smirked.  “We grew up together.  We took baths together.”

                My face contorted in horror, and I smacked him in the shoulder.  He took my wrist before I could pull away and examined the greenish bruise on my upper arm. 

                “Ouch,” he said sympathetically.

                “Yeah, ‘ouch’.  I wonder who did that to me.”

                “Your attack is good.  Your defense just needs a little more work.”

                I sighed.  “I need to get better.”

                “You will.  I’ll help you.”  He leaned closer and kissed the bruise.  Warmth flooded through me and I yanked my arm away in surprise.

                “Cheol!”

                He laughed.  “What?  I kissed it to make it better.”

                I kicked him in the shin.  “I meant in the skill sense, not the healing sense.”

                “Okay, okay, okay.” 

                I crossed my arms over my chest.  “I’ll beat you next time.”

                He grinned.  “I’m looking forward to it.”