Chan: "Heat Pack"

_cam17

                I hated the cold, and now that temperatures were slowly starting to drop, I was not particularly happy.

                I looked forlornly out the window as I got ready for school that morning, making sure to layer my clothing.  It seemed like just another day, but I knew that once I stepped out the door, I would walk straight into a wall of chilly air. 

                My mother watched me as I shuffled into the kitchen and heated up last night’s left over soup as breakfast.

                “Is it really that cold?” she asked, looking me up and down.  I hugged myself.

                “It’s freezing.”

                “Do you want a ride to school?  I don’t have to be at work until a little later today.”

                I pulled my food out from the microwave and paused, considering it.  But then my mind wandered to something else that made me turn down her offer.

                “It’s just a few minutes outside.  I’ll survive.”

                She gave me a skeptical look but didn’t press the matter.  I ate quickly and packed my bag.  I made sure to take a hot pack with me as I left my house.

                I gritted my teeth against the burst of cold and trudged to the bus stop.  I started to feel a bit better when my eyes found one person standing there, his hands stuffed deep in his pockets.  My pace quickened.

                “Lee Chan!” I greeted with a slap to his arm.  He looked over and smiled.

                “Morning,” he replied. 

                Seeing Chan was always the highlight of my morning.  I’d had a crush on him since the first day of middle school when I was worrying about the transition and he cracked a few jokes to take my mind off the nerves.  We’d become friends, but we never could interact at school as much as we did waiting for the bus.

                He started talking animatedly about a new dance routine he was learning, demonstrating the steps.  He hit his moves with precision and power but I bit back laughter at his intense facial expression. 

                “What?” he asked with a cautious grin, noticing my feeble attempts at trying to be straight-faced.

                “Nothing…it’s just that when you hit your final pose you look so serious,” I said, imitating him.  He burst out laughing.  He did the moves again but this time with an even more exaggerated expression, sending me into hysterics.  For a moment, I forgot about how cold I was.  But then Chan tripped and almost collided with me, saved only by him grabbing my arms.  With our faces only inches apart, warmth flooded over me and receded just as quickly when he pulled away.  We both let out an embarrassed chuckle.  I shivered and clutched my heat pack. 

                “Are you cold?” he asked.

                “Not really,” I lied.

                He hesitated.  “Here, give me your hand.” 

                I glanced at him warily and held out my palm.  He grasped it and then placed our clasped hands into his pocket. 

                “Is that better?” he asked, not looking me straight in his eyes.  His ears were turning pink.

                I smiled to myself, my cheeks flushing with heat. 

                “Yeah, that’s better.”