And Baby Makes Three: Part 1

Bits and Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            Kyuhyun popped the trunk as he exited the car.  Ryeowook grabbed the gallon of milk and one of the brown paper sacks of food, leaving only one for Kyuhyun.  “I can carry them both.”

            “I got it,” Ryeowook said, smiling as he ditched his husband.  “You can go get the mail on the way up, since you have a free hand.”

            Kyuhyun grimaced as he shut the trunk.  The mailroom was on the other side of the building, near the front doors, which they both usually avoided like the plague to keep from letting the fans who camped outside their building catch glimpses of them.  Still, he didn’t complain and headed for the other end of the ramp, taking the elevator up to the mail room, collecting the letters, and then took the elevator back up to their floor.  He was trying to flip through the mail while maintaining his grip on the grocery bag when he saw movement on the floor in front of him and stopped short to look down.  A baby in a pink sleeper crawled past him…in a hurry.

            “What the—”

            “Chaewon!” exclaimed Ryeowook, walking out the door of their apartment and scooping up the infant.  “Did you hear me in the hall?”

            Kyuhyun stepped closer to his husband and looked down at the little girl, who was excitedly flapping her arms and laughing at the goofy faces Ryeowook was making at her.

            “Our fangirls get younger and younger all the time!”

            Ryeowook narrowed his eyes.  “Don’t listen to him, Chaewon.  He’ll corrupt you if you stay around him too long.”

            “Chaewon,” a young woman called out, exasperated, as she rounded the corner.  “Oh, Ryeowook!  Thank goodness!  I was trying to bring in my purchases from the clothing store and set her down by the door just so I could set the bags inside and the next I knew, she was down the hall!  I’m such a bad mother!”

            “Don’t say such a thing!  You’re practically raising her by yourself, things like this are bound to happen from time to time.  I think she heard me talking to myself while unlocking the door and now that she knows how to crawl, she decided to come visit me on her own.”

            “She’s so fond of you.  I think she gets tired of seeing only me all day!”

            Ryeowook ticked the baby for a moment and then stopped suddenly.  “Oh, I forgot!  You haven’t meet Kyuhyun yet, have you?”

            The young mother shook her head.

            “Kyuhyun, this is Micha, our neighbor down the hall, and her daughter, Chaewon.  Micha, this is Kyuhyun.”

            “Ah, I finally get to meet your husband!” she beamed, holding out her hand to him.

            Kyuhyun nearly dropped the bag in his hands and fumbled to get a grip on it again without losing the letters too.  Nothing had prepared him for someone he didn’t know—who lived on their floor—being aware of his relationship to Ryeowook. 

            “Shhh,” Ryeowook reminded her.  “My roommate,” he whispered.

            “Oh, yes, of course.  Your roommate.  I’m sorry!”

            Kyuhyun finally managed to grasp the bag again with one hand, deposited the letters into the bag, and then shook hers with the other, nodding to her.  “Pleased to meet you.”

            “I sometimes go over to have tea with Micha and play with Chaewon when you’re at work filming,” Ryeowook informed Kyuhyun.  “And there was one failed park attempt as well, but I attracted too much attention and had to leave.”

            “Oh, I think I remember you mentioning it a while back,” Kyuhyun finally said, but clearly he’d been ignoring most of Ryeowook’s gushing about cute babies, because he didn’t realize that Ryeowook spend any significant time with one in particular.

            “You know, I would be more than happy to watch Chaewon next time you want to get some errands done or even if you want to go have coffee with one of your friends and have a couple hours to yourself,” Ryeowook offered.

            Chaewon looked up at Kyuhyun for the first time since they began talking and the smiled wiped right off her face.  Her little eyebrows furrowed and she frowned.  Then she hid her face in Ryeowook’s shoulder.

            “I don’t even have many friends to go have coffee with,” Micha admitted, her cheeks turning pink.  “We only moved to Seoul a few weeks before I gave birth to Chaewon and then I had so little time to go out and meet people afterwards, you’re one of the only people I met with regularly.”

            “Ah, we’ll have to find a way to remedy that, won’t we, Chaewon?” Ryeowook said to the baby.

            “Micha, if you ever want help carrying anything in, just call and I’ll do it for you,” Kyuhyun offered.  “If you’d rather not leave Chaewon behind.”

            “Thank you,” she said, holding her arms out to take Chaewon, who practically flew out of Ryeowook’s arms to get to her.  “You two are such wonderful neighbors.  I’m just glad that you don’t complain about all the noise she makes.  I’m shocked you don’t hear her cry when she’s hungry.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter