Chapter XVII and XVII

With Her

 

Chapter XVII

 

“I wonder what kind of color Joo In prefers.” Chen mused over lunch. The boys are eating pizza after a heavy schedule.

“Why do you ask?” Baekhyun asked.

“It’s her birthday tomorrow, remember?”

“Really??” (O_O) the others exclaimed.

“Where’s Luhan hyung by the way?” he asked looking for Joo In’s husband.

“The manager wants to talk to him about this photo shoot something for tomorrow,” Kai replied.

“You mean he will not be there for her birthday?” Chanyeol exclaimed.

“Probably, and Sehun too because the photo shoot includes the two of them,” Kyungsoo added.

“Why don’t we surprise her?” Suho suggested.

“Yeah, as far as I can remember, she will be off from school by 2 in the afternoon, that’s according to Luhan,” –Tao

“That’s nice! We can borrow the key from Luhan,” –Xiumin

And they talked about the surprise party for tomorrow. They even went shopping together for the other items needed, ordered a 3-layered cake and some balloons.

 

OCT. 5 (Her Birthday)

 

As early as 7, both Luhan and Joo In were off. Luhan dropped by the boys’ room to join their manager and Sehun for the photo shoot, while Joo In went straight to school.

“Hyung, can I borrow your key?” Kai asked as Luhan is busy checking his things.

“Here,” he handed him the key still engrossed on fixing his things.

After a while, the three left as their manager reminded the rest to practice.

 

Just as the three are gone, the boys opened the couple’s unit to start their surprise party for Joo In.

“No matter how busy that two can get, they can still manage to clean their unit before they leave it,” Kris comments as he went over the rooms.

In a moment, they are all busy decorating the place. Kyungsoo, Lay and Xiumin were the one assigned for preparing the dishes and rest are for the decorations. While doing their own parts, they let their song 365 liven up the place.

 

It took them almost half the day to prepare since they can’t agree in terms of the color complementation. The ordered cake had arrived so they set the table already at the living room adjusting the couches to give some room.

“It’s two already, wear your party hats. Turn off the stereo and the lights, I bet she’s on her way.” Suho exclaimed as the other rush off to get their party hats.

After 10 minutes, they heard the lock got unlocked.

 

Joo In slowly took off her shoes and reached for the switches turning the lights on.

*pop* *pop* *pop*

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!” the boys greeted in chorus.

Joo In was startled at the party poppers and looked at the boys who were all smiling and singing a happy birthday song for her.

“Happy birthday Han Joo In!” they greeted in chorus again after singing.

She blinked and broke into a sincere wide grin which made them cheer the more.

“Finally! She smiles for real!” Chanyeol cheered.

She laughed and bowed her head, “Thank you!” she smiled again at them.

“Come on! Blow your candles!” Kyungsoo pulled her inside as Kai puts on the party hat on her head.

“What’s your wish?” Chen asked.

“I wish for-“

Baekhyun cuts her off, “Don’t tell your wish. Make it by heart,” he instructed.

“Tell us the first then keep the second one then tell us again the third one,” Tao suggested.

“That’s too many,” she frowned.

“Make the best out of it,” Tao grinned at her.

“Ok, I’ll tell my first two wish. First, I wish that EXO will reach the top and be number one everywhere. The second one, I wish that my works will be recognized and that I get to be accepted on the scholarship program,” then she bowed her head and made the last wish. After a while, she blew the candles.

“YEAH! PARTY! PARTY!” they cheered popping up another party popper.

 

Throughout the afternoon, they just enjoyed the party doing some games and even playing with the cake. Joo in got hyper which made the party livelier.

“Where’s Luhan oppa?” she asked Chen while the others are busy playing.

“He is in a photo shoot right now with Sehun. They will just catch up with us later,” he smiled at her.

Joo In finally opened up, showing the real her. She got hyper and keeps on talking and laughing with them.

“Is that sugar rush?” Suho whispered at Kyungsoo as they watch Joo In laugh along with the others, pulling up a prank on Tao.

“Stop complaining, it’s good that she is already comfortable being with us,” he hushed him.

 

The next part is the gift giving. Each of them handed a box to her.

“Ok, let’s start with Suho oppa,” she started ripping the box cover. Inside is a brand new pink watch.

“Thank you,” she smiled at Suho.

The other gifts followed which were mostly girl stuffs. The last one is from Lay.

“Why is yours so small?” Kris comments as he hands it to Joo In.

“Aniyo! It’s okay with me,” Joo In smiled.

She gasped and hugged Lay upon opening the gift.

It’s a personalized silver necklace with the inscriptions ‘LUHANloveJOOIN’

“Why is that he is the only one who gets a hug?” Chanyeol pouted tugging Joo In’s sleeve.

“Arasseo,” then she gave Chanyeol a hug which made the others protest.

She ends up giving each of them a hug, which led to a group hug.

The last part is meal time. The birthday girl was given the honor to slice the cake first before the others followed.

*-*-*-*-*-*

 

“Luhan have you already bought a gift for your wife?” their manager asked as they had a break from the photo shoot. It took them almost a day since they had to travel on the rural areas for the setting.

“Gift? For what?” he asked confused.

“Hyung, it’s her birthday today. Have you forgotten about it?” Sehun looked at him.

Luhan checked his phone and there was a message from Chen.

 

From: ChenChen

            Hyung! Hurry up so you won’t miss the party!

            Joo In-sshi finally smiled and laughed for real.

            Man! She’s a beauty when she smiles, you should see

            It for yourself. Don’t forget to buy her a gift.

Sent: 02:30 PM

 

When he checked the time, it’s already 5 pm. “Are we done already?” he asked their manager.

“There will be last few shots to be taken before we can leave,” he checked his watch too. “Don’t worry, we will be able to catch up,” he assured him.

 

“OK! Let’s finish this and wrap it up! Luhan and Jeo Hyoon please come up in here.” The director called them.

“What? But, what about Sehun?” Luhan looked at their manager.

“He’s free already, go on and finish this up so we can go home earlier,” their manager smiled at Luhan.

“Hyung, can I go first?” Sehun asked their manager.

“HUH? Sehunnie wait for me,” Luhan protested as the director pulls him to join the girl.

Before Sehun leaves, he watches Luhan feel awkward at the way the girl acts.

“Isn’t that girl too showy? I mean look at how she clings and look at hyung,” Sehun whispers.

“Aren’t you supposed to be running back home to catch up with them?” their manager looked at Sehun.

“Oh, right! I gotta go now,” and he immediately dashed off.

 

It took him almost an hour and a half to get back to their unit. He had to spend another 30 minutes to buy a gift for her. When he is already outside Joo In’s door, he took a deep breath before ringing the doorbell.

Chanyeol opened the door, “Oh, Sehunnie! Where’s hyung?” he asked.

“He will arrive shortly. The last part were all for him. Where’s the birthday girl?” he asked as Chanyeol led him inside.

Their house was dark while the large screen is playing some sort of horror movie.

“SEHUNNIE OPPA!” Joo In greeted and rushes off to give him a hug.

He was caught off guard by the sudden motion and her reaction.

“Do you have your gift for me?” she asked after parting.

Sehun gave a dazed nod handing her the gift.

Joo In immediately the lights.

“AWH! Joo In-sshi! Turn it off, you’re cutting the thrill!” Tao complained.

“It appears like Sehun is her husband from the way she welcomes him,” Kai whispered over Kyungsoo who nodded in return.

“Just a minute,” she then unwraps the gift, “WOW! A cute baby panda! Tao oppa! Look!” she rushed to Tao.

“Is she hyper or what,” Sehun whispered at Chanyeol.

“I don’t know. She had been like that the moment we started the party. Do you think it’s cute?” Chanyeol smiled.

“It’s cute but somehow scary,” Sehun whispered back.

Chanyeol shrugged it off and sits back to his place.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

11:15 PM

 

Luhan is getting uneasy already as they are heading home.

“Hyung, do you think I will be able to catch up with them?” he asks their manager.

“Luhan, that’s the hundredth time you had asked that,” their manager sighed.

“But you said we will be off early, but look, I only have 45 minutes before her birthday ends,” he sighed getting uneasy again on his chair.

“We should have been, but that girl is way too clingy and seems like committing mistakes intentionally to prolong the time.” – Manager Hyung

Luhan just sighed and leans on his chair as they enter their street.

Their hallway is silent as they arrived on their floor. When they checked the boys’ dorm, everyone is already tucked in which made Luhan more scared to get inside their unit.

 

When he entered, Joo In is still up, cleaning the mess the others had left.

“Oppa!” she gasped startled at her husband standing by the doorway.

“Why are you still up?” he asked trying to feel casual.

“I had to clean up first. The boys left a mess after we watched some movies, and I set aside a slice of cake for you,” she smiled at him.

‘Did she really smile at me or am I just tired?’ he thought as Joo In resumes on picking up trashes.

“Oppa, would you want to eat the cake?” Joo In asked. Luhan just gave a nod, still frozen on his place.

When he realized the time running, he went over the kitchen.

“Joo In-na,” he called over.

She turned around, “Ne?”

He reached for her hand, slowly putting the gold bracelet with a tag ‘LUHANandJOOIN’, “Happy birthday” he whispered.

Joo In broke into a wide grin, “I thought you forgot already.”

He looked at his watch, “I still got five minutes before midnight,” he smiled back.

‘And smiling like that makes everything complete,’ he thought.

Joo In reached to hug him, whispering, “Thank you, saranghae Luhan oppa,” she parted giving him a quick kiss on the cheeks before proceeding to clean up the mess in the living room.

Luhan was the one left dazed again as he reached for his cheek.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Just as she was to go to sleep, Luhan knocked over her door. “Come in,” she answered sitting up on her bed.

He was hesitant at first to get inside but manages to do so after a while.

Joo In looked up at her husband as he gets uneasy standing there.

Later, he sits on the bed as Joo In adjusted herself.

“Is there something wrong?” she asked blinking at him.

“Would you smile at me again?” he asked rubbing the back of his neck at the silly request.

(O_O) … (^_^)

Joo In gave her warm smile shaking her head at his simple request. Before she could look up at him again, it’s her time to get frozen on her place.

It happened too fast, but like every show, it played in a slow motion for her.

His hands reached for her face, slowly turned her head, lift her chin and plant a kiss on her lips.

It was not that kind that flows with intense ual desire. It’s just one sweet kiss full of love ang gratitude.

“Thank you Joo In, I’ve always dreamed of seeing that real smile,” he whispered after they parted.

She smiled again and hugs him, “Let’s get to sleep, I still have my class tomorrow at seven,” she whispered making him chuckle.

She let go but Luhan didn’t let go instead tightens the hug.

“Oppa, let’s go to sleep. It’s late already,” she yawned leaning on his shoulder.

“Do you want me to sleep with you?” he whispered, teasing her.

“I would love to, but o don’t want to end up on the floor,” she chuckled.

Luhan immediately parted, “I am not like that!” he defended.

Left with no choice, he reached for her face for one last kiss on the forehead before bidding her goo night.

“You’re not coming with us?” Luhan asked as he opens their door.

The boys are scheduled for a fan signing for the day.

“I’ll follow soon enough; I’ll just need to submit these pictures. Don’t worry I won’t be lost on my way,” she assured him.

“Ok, be careful on your way, okay?” he looked at her for the last time before going out the door.

 

The fan signing was held in a mall. There are press people present.

The crowd was all girls of all age, all eager to meet their biases close up and have their signatures.

Some even had their cameras with them to take pictures of the boys.

There was a short program before they started the fan signing. 12 boxes were aligned on the back for them to put the gifts they will receive.

 

After almost an hour and a half, Joo In arrived at the mall where the fan signing was held. The line was extremely long that made her jaw drop. One of the staff recognized her and ushered her to come closer the stage.

“Come on Joo In,” the lady smiled at her.

“Later, after the signing,” she smiled at the lady.

The lady smiled at her as she patiently waits for her turn.

 

When it was her turn, she smiled at Chanyeol who sits at end of the table.

She motioned him not to react. As he was signing the album, she noticed that almost all the boxes were filled to the brim, except for Chen.

“Is that for me?” Chanyeol asked looking at the paper bag Joo In was holding.

She reached for the album and shook her head. She obediently followed the line, going from one member to another.

When she reached Chen, she immediately handed him the paper bag.

“For me?” he asked in disbelief.

“Ne,” she smiled before giving him the album.

 

After having all their signatures, she proceeds to the other staffs who called for her.

“So what did you brought for your husband?” one of them whispered at her.

She smiled, “I forgot to bring something for him.”

“Then what’s that paper bag you gave to Chen?”

Joo In smiled, blushing.

 

On their way back, she joined the Exo M on their van. The boys were all talking about their gifts.

Joo In and Luhan were seated apart since it was Chen who is sitting beside her.

“Joo In-na, what did you gave Luhan-ge?” Tao asked.

“She didn’t give me anything, it’s only Chen who received a gift from her,” Luhan looked at Joo In.

“EH?” –Tao

“You already have a load in there!” Joo In pointed at the boxes.

“But Joo In-na, it still feels different if someone special to you made an effort to give you something,” Kris explained.

“So what did Joo In gave you?” Lay asked Chen.

Chen reached for the paper bag and opened it up. He pulled out a small glass globe filled with small orange balls that floats whenever you shake it.

“Woah! It’s so cute!”Chen exclaimed, “Thank you Joo In-na!” he added marveling at the globe.

“Oppa, you need turn it on at the bottom. It lights and plays a song, try it!” Joo In smiled at him.

Chen turned it on and it really did glowed playing a sweet melody.

Luhan looked at the two who were both marveling at the globe.

 

When they arrived at their unit, Luhan immediately went to his room avoiding Joo In.

“Thank you Joo In-na! I will display this at our room,” Chen thanked her again before going inside.

“Joo In-na, where’s hyung?” Sehun asked as she turns to get to their unit.

“He had left off first, he is mad at me,” she bowed her head.

“He is mad at you? Why?” he asked looking worried.

“I didn’t bring a gift for him during the fan signing. He didn’t even talk to me while we are at the van.”

Chen suddenly appeared beside them, “Hyung is mad at you? Just give the globe to him, I will be fine,” he handed back the globe.

“Aniyo! That one is really for you, he might get angry the more if I give that to him,” she protested handing back the globe.

“Don’t worry, I’ll talk to him,” Sehun cupped her face smiling at her.

“Yah! Luhan hyung might get mad at you too if he saw you doing that.” –Chen

“He won’t!” –Sehun

“Do you like Joo In-na?” –Chen

“Ne, she’s like a sister to me.” –Sehun

“Really?” Chen grinned at him.

“Oppa, Sehunnie is my big brother like you, you’re giving malice to it,” Joo In frowned at Chen.

“Just kidding! Are you sure you don’t want to give this to Luhan hyung?” Chen asked again.

“I’ll just buy another one for him, it’s already late. Good night Sehunnie oppa, same with you Chen oppa,” she bowed before going to their unit.

 

The next day, Luhan didn’t really talk to her which saddened her at the same time worrying her.

“Oppa, what should I do?” she asked Chen as she stayed at their unit for a movie marathon that Tao suggested.

“Why? What’s wrong?” Chen asked taking his place near the couch.

“Luhan oppa wouldn’t talk to me,” she bowed her head.

“Has Sehun talked to him?”

“I don’t know. Oppa, what should I do?”

The movie started so they turned off the light.

“We’ll talk about that later, where is he by the way?” Chen asked.

“He stayed back at our unit.”

The movie is not that dramatic but at the end of it Joo In was the only one crying hard.

“Girls are really emotional,” Suho remarked handing her the box of tissue.

“Isn’t it saddening that they didn’t end up together?” she said between sobs.

(¬_¬) was all they could come up.

 

“Joo In-na, would you want to go out first?” Chen offered.

“I think I need that,” she agreed.

“I’ll come with you,” Sehun joined them as they all went outside.

Once they are out, Joo In cried again.

“It’s not the movie right?” Chen asked.

Joo In nodded reaching for a hug from Sehun, “Sehunnie oppa, he would not talk to me,” she cried.

Sehun patted her back, hushing her.

 

“I’ve got an idea!” Chen suddenly blurted out.

“For what?” Sehun asked.

“This time, we have to work together,” he smiled at the two.

“So what’s your plan?” Joo In sobbed.

He just smiled at them.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Luhan was silently lying down his bed, thinking about Joo In.

‘I think I am too childish to act this way. How did I got jealous just because she didn’t gave me a globe like that?’ he thought.

He keeps on turning and rolling at his bed trying to make up his mind.

‘I should say sorry, I am the older one and just what would her parents and my parents would tell me if she happens to tell them about what I have done?’ he thought pulling himself up.

He looked at the clock, “5:30? I have been in here all day long?” he gasped. He felt his stomach grumble, “I’m hungry,” he sighed.

Just then, his phone rang.

“Sehunnie, waeyo?” he answered it.

“Hyung want to have some bubble tea? Meet me at the canteen, I’ll wait for you,” he then ended the call.

He frowned at his phone when the call was ended.

He pulled himself up and went down the building to meet Sehun.

They stayed there for almost an hour as Luhan takes his early dinner.

It was around 7:00 in the evening when they decided to get back up.

“Hyung, you better talk to her,” Sehun reminded him again as they parted on the door.

“I know,” he smiled going inside their unit.

When he got inside, the lights are still down showing that she is not yet home.

“Where could she be?” he whispered as he slowly opens his room.

 

Small lighted globes scattered around the floor welcomed him.

“Mianhe oppa,” Joo In said from the far end of the room.

A smile crept up to his face, “You did this?” he asked bending down to pick up one of the globe.

“Yeah, Chen oppa helped me set this up,” she answered.

He stood up and walked over near her, “No need to say sorry, I was the one at fault. I shouldn’t act like that.”

“But I didn’t brought you a gift,” she bowed her head.

“It’s okay, as long as you are there, you came despite your busy schedule is enough already for me,” he cupped her face.

She smiled back at him.

“So, will you help me put all of these around the house?” he asked in which he nodded back in response.

The next hour was spent on placing the globes all around the house, on every possible place it suits to be.

 

Later that night, when Joo In was already asleep, Luhan visited the boys.

“Hyung! What’s up?” Chanyeol greeted him by the door.

“You’re all still awake?” he asked as he saw them watching another movie.

“Suho hyung suggested a movie marathon,” Tao replied.

Where’s Chenchen?” he asked looking for Jongdae.

“He is in the kitchen,” Lay replied.

He thanked them and proceeds to the kitchen. He saw him taking his meal.

“Hyung! Come and join me,” he offered.

“Aniyo, I just had dinner with Joo In,” he refused taking the seat opposite him.

“I came here to thank you,” Luhan started.

“Don’t mention it, it pains me to see her getting all worried and crying,” Chen smiled.

“What I mean is the globes and the set up both of you prepared.”

Chen smiled at him, “You should not do that to her actually. You could have just done that to me instead.”

“Yeah, I was wrong. I acted like a kid.”

“Where is she now?”

“She’s already asleep.”

Chen looked at him again, “Hyung, is Sehun that close to your wife?” he asked.

“Oh? That one? Yeah, they are pretty close. I don’t even know when did it started,” he replied.

“Really?” Chen asked in disbelief.

“Sometimes I get jealous over Sehun. She is just way too open to him,” Luhan sighed.

“Hyung, you should understand that your wife is years younger than you, so as Sehun.”

“Yeah, you’re right.”