a crow that buries

a hopeless valentine's escape

            Sunggyu finds Woohyun on a rainy day, and he thinks that it is so cliché. Woohyun is standing right at the bus stop, nowhere near the benches and shelter from the rain, but right next to the sign. The rain falls on Woohyun’s face, and Sunggyu just knows.

            The second time that Sunggyu sees Woohyun, he’s a little confused. Woohyun is smiling and laughing with his arm around someone who seems to be his boyfriend. Sunggyu wonders what has attracted him to Woohyun if he looks so happy, but looking closer Sunggyu realizes that Woohyun’s grip on his boyfriend is tighter than it should be. That probably should’ve been a sign to get closer to Woohyun, but Sunggyu decides that he wants to wait just a little more.

            The third time is when Sunggyu finally decides to enroll in Woohyun’s school. He enters the classroom and finds Woohyun staring out the window instead of at the board where the teacher was lecturing. He introduces himself and catches Woohyun’s eye for a second, and Sunggyu feels his body catch on fire because when Woohyun glances away, he sees Woohyun’s boyfriend from before next to him, sending notes and winks to the boy diagonally two rows ahead of him. Sunggyu notices Woohyun’s hands clench up into fists and suddenly, Sunggyu’s so drawn to him that he sits right in front of Woohyun, turning around to say ‘hello’ the second he sits down, because, to be honest, the teacher didn’t really care for those students that sat near the back.

            After Sunggyu decides that he wanted to have Woohyun, he goes and moves in the empty apartment next to Woohyun’s. He hears screams and slams from Woohyun’s apartment, and he knows that he’s made a very good yet terrible choice. He hears the loud noises from next door stop, and he opens the door to his apartment, pretending that he didn’t hear anything and inviting the very bruised and bleeding Woohyun into his home.

            But Woohyun knows that the walls aren’t soundproof, but he doesn’t think of Sunggyu’s lying as much, because maybe the new kid just wants a friend. Sunggyu wipes the blood off of Woohyun’s face, arms, and legs, and he places them in a bucket at the corner of his bedroom. He sits in front of Woohyun, attending to his wounds and making up stories about his past. He continues to pretend that he didn’t hear anything from Woohyun’s apartment, and Woohyun plays along, pretending that falling down while walking home is the reason that he’s so busted up. A few minutes into their conversation, Sunggyu notices that Woohyun’s lip is also cut, and instead of taking a cloth to wipe it off, he leans closer to Woohyun and the blood off of his lips. Woohyun widens his eyes but doesn’t move as Sunggyu gets even closer to him, grabbing his hair to bring him closer and closer until all Sunggyu could think of is Woohyun Woohyun Woohyun.

            A few weeks later, the two apartments on that floor are empty and the two seats in that classroom in that old school are empty as well. There’s no record of a Nam Woohyun anymore, and there was never a record of a Kim Sunggyu in the first place, because Sunggyu wasn’t an actual human.

            Sunggyu could sense death, and when he notices an empty Woohyun, as Woohyun's crow, Sunggyu eats him up and takes the last bit of personality and life Woohyun has until he realizes that he actually cared about him, and so Sunggyu becomes the first crow that buries the dead he's created.