those eyes

a hopeless valentine's escape

            Woohyun chooses soul mates, and it’s something that he has fun doing. He likes watching people fall in love, and he especially likes that look in someone’s eyes when they meet the person they’re meant to be with. It’s like they suddenly become this much brighter person. Woohyun can literally see them shine next to their soul mate, and it’s one of the best feelings ever.

            Woohyun’s not allowed to make them meet too early—he’s not allowed to make soul mates meet earlier than they are supposed to. That’s the only thing that makes his job a little sufferable. He absolutely hates watching soul mates pass by each other, especially in coffee shops because that’s where he thinks the greatest loves always blossom. It bothers him so much when he watches them pass by each other without knowing. It bothered him so much, because all it took was a single glance—a single glance and they would fall in love; they’d find the person they were born to be with. They’d find the person to share their life with.

            He likes making everything perfect for the people he’s been assigned. He likes making it snow a light beautiful snow during their first kiss, and he likes to watch them kiss in the slight shower of rain he’s created for them. Woohyun likes watching weddings the most. He enjoys listening to their vows and knowing that those words came from their hearts. He likes the fact that when they say ‘till death do us part, they actually mean it, because soul mates stay together forever, like they’re supposed to.

            Sometimes it gets lonely for Woohyun though. Sometimes he watches people fall in love and wishes that there was someone down there on earth for him. He never asked if he had a soul mate though, because there was an even amount of humans on earth, and that meant that even if he did have a soul mate, it wouldn’t be someone down there, and it was too bad, because only humans had soul mates. There was no such thing where he was. There wasn’t any person who was born just for Woohyun, and it was probably the one reason why Woohyun was jealous of humans, but he still loved watching humans and making them happy more than anyone else. The look in their eyes when they meet their one true love is still the most fascinating thing to him, and he wishes that one day someone would look at him like that, but most humans can’t see him anyway.

            So, the day that Sungyeol sees him and accidentally bumps into him at a coffee shop, of all places, Woohyun almost spits out his hot chocolate because he sees those eyes. He sees that look that he’s been seeing on other people’s faces, and he doesn’t regret his first trip to earth at all. He immediately falls for those beautiful eyes with that soft, beautiful color, and that wonderful, wonderful look he sees in them. He watches as Sungyeol seems to start glowing in front of him, and he thinks yes, this is what soul mates must feel when they meet their other half, and he smiles, and Sungyeol smiles back. But then Sungyeol takes a step forward and Woohyun feels as if his heart was beating at 1,000 beats per second, which is strange, because his heart doesn’t beat, and he’s not supposed to have a soul mate, but Sungyeol’s still walking towards him, and now he’s so close, and he walks right through him.

            Woohyun, so incredibly surprised, turns around and sees another person on the floor with coffee spilled all over him. This other person isn’t angry at all though, because that person was Sungyeol’s soul mate, and Woohyun’s not allowed to have a soul mate, because he’s not human, and for the first time in his entire life, Woohyun thought this isn’t fair, and he knows he shouldn’t be thinking that, because he’s not even human, but for the first time his heart is in pain. He hates the feeling—he hates it so much, but he feels like he should’ve known, because only humans get soul mates, and coming down to earth was a big mistake.

            But when Woohyun leaves earth and goes back to watching over his assigned soul mates, he find out that the other man was named Myungsoo, and he and Sungyeol were meant to meet at that exact moment, at that exact time, and it was just an unfortunate coincidence that Woohyun happened to be the middle of it.

            Woohyun wasn’t supposed to have a soul mate, and yet he fell in love anyway, all because of those eyes. Woohyun had always loved the way a person’s eyes lit up when they met their soul mate.

            And if he had seen the way Sungyeol’s eyes looked when he had bumped into Myungsoo, because he had caught a glimpse of Woohyun, he would’ve known that once you step onto earth, you are a human.