Break-Up: When I Was Your Man

What It Feels To Be In Love

Song: When I Was Your Man by Bruno Mars


It was three o'clock in the morning and Choi Minho found himself sitting on his bed , staring at a black screen in front of him. No, he wasn't too lazy to pick the remote up and turn in on, but, he was depressed. Depressed to the extent that he couldn't even move anymore.

He missed her. I think everyone knows that. He thought the love was strong, but, she didn't feel the same way. Minho knew his mistakes, probably the reason why their love was dying out.

He looked all around him, and he could her in his room. He could imagine her smiling, or making popcorn, or checking out in new tapes for them to watch, and, he imagined her in his arms. He could imagine the way they cuddled, and he really missed it.

Now, it was all gone. Long gone.

Minho sighed as he looked all around him, and he realized that her picture was still on her bedside table. Minho didn't know what to do, he wanted to get back with her, but, he also knew that whatever he does, his girlfriend would never accept a proud, needy and selfish boy like him.

He looked at the picture, sighed and said:

" I wanna hear you one more time."

Afterwards, he grabbed his phone, dialed a number and waited for the other line to pick up. Minho had a lot of emotions rushing through him. He was feeling excited, scared and for some reason, he was nervous.

The phone rang for about three times before the other line picked up.

" Hello?" the other line asked, whose voice clearly sounded like she just woke up.

" Sulli-ah." Minho said, with that slight tone of regret.

It was silent for a moment before Sulli said:

" Oh My Gosh, Minho! Don't you have the decency to call me some other time? It's three o' clock in the morning!"

" Mianhae. I just wanted to hear you." Minho apologized.

" But I don't wanna hear you! I don't wanna hear your voice! I don't wanna hear your name. I don't wanna hear anything about you! Not anymore!" Sulli shot back.

Minho was crushed. Yes, he misses her, but, after hearing that she never wanted to get back with him, it just left him speechless.

He just sat there with his mouth open for a few moments, completely ignoring the "already- yelling-over-the-phone" Sulli.

" Yah! Chou Minho, are you still there?" Sulli yelled.

Minho gulped, and asked:

" What are you doing, Sul?"

Sulli groaned as she replied:

" Trying to get some sleep! You know, Minho, you should get some sleep too, you're voice is getting way too annoying for me to hear right now."

" You think I could sleep when I'm thinking about you? Thinking about us? You know, Sul, this bed I'm on, it's the same bed, but it feels just a little bit bigger now." Minho said, his voice as gentle as possible.

" Okay, like a care." Sulli sarcastically said.

" Are you just gonna forget all those, Sul? What about our theme song?" Minho asked.

" Don't remember." Sulli replied, trying to make her conversations with the male as short as possible.

" You don't remember? It was Haru Haru. That's our song. Our song on the radio, but it doesn't the same." Minho said, his voice faltering.

" Minho, just tell me what you want!" Sulli asked.

" I miss you." Minho blurted out.

It was silent for a moment. Minho immediately place his hand over his mouth, and Sulli on the other hand, was also speechless, unable to open .

" Miss me?" Sulli asked.

" Yeah. Like so much! Just as you know, when our friends talk about you all that it does is just tear me down, because my heart breaks a little when I hear your name. I need you back in my life, Sul." Minho replied, finally shedding his tears.

Sulli sighed on the other line, before replying:

" You're just being selfish, Minho. I couldn't take that from anyone anymore, especially from you."

" Sulli-ah, can't you just please forgive me for doing these to you. I know that my pride, my ego, my needs and my selfish ways
caused a good strong woman like you to walk out my life." Minho begged.

" I'm sorry Minho, it's still a no. I just can't be with you anymore. After the history we have." Sulli replied, her voice faltering a little.

" Please, just give me a chance. If you don't, now I'll never, never get to clean up the mess I made, and it haunts me every time I close my eyes."  Minho said.

" Minho, I'm sorry, I just can't." Sulli said as she sniffled.

She was crying, Minho knew that.

" Sulli-ah, are you crying?" Minho asked.

" No. I'm not." Sulli lied as she sniffled.

" You're sniffling. I know you're crying. Your voice sounds different." Minho said.

Sulli sighed as she replied:

" Minho, I miss you too."

Once Minho heard this five words, he widened his eyes and asked:

" Did I just hear it right? You miss me?"

" Yeah, I do. But, Minho, I just can't take it anymore. I can't love you as my boyfriend anymore." Sulli replied.

Minho was silenced. Yeah, sure it hurt. But, all he need to do was face it. Sulli herself said that she couldn't love him anymore.

" If I couldn't love you as my girlfriend, could I love you as my friend? Or, could you be my soulmate perhaps?"  Minho asked

" Soulmate? What do you mean?" Sulli asked.

" Soulmate, more of like a guardian angel. If you have problems, you could come to me, just ask me anything and I'll be there. Sul, this relationship we had was so strong and I don't want to put it to waste." Minho said.

" Me too. I mean, having little contact is better than having contact at all." Sulli replied.

" It sure is." Minho said as he sighed.

It was silent for a moment before Minho asked:

" So, can I at least see you tomorrow? In the coffee shop by the park?"

" Um, tomorrow's not really a good time." Sulli replied.

" What? But tomorrow's Saturday, you don't have class." Minho asked, sounding quite confused.

" Uh, that's the thing. Victoria-unnie sort of set me up with someone." Sulli replied.

" Victoria, you mean that tall Chinese girl who used to go out with that exchange student from Thailand? Victoria,as in my friend Jonghyun's Chemistry Lab partner?"  Minho asked.

" Yeah." Sulli replied.

" She set you up? " Minho asked, just to clarify what Sulli just said.

" Yeah. You got a problem with it? Sulli asked.

" Well, um, no. I don't ." Minho lied. " Who's the dude?" he asked.

" Uh, I don't know his name. But, what I know is that he's a dancer." Sulli replied.

Minho was silenced. And he couldn't believe what he was hearing.

" So, you've moved on, huh?" Minho asked.

" Kinda had to. I needed to get over you, and everything you did." Sulli replied.

Minho sighed loudly, as he let his tears fall, and silence followed after that.

" Minho, are you still there?" Sulli asked.

" Yeah. Um. Sulli, I gotta tell you something." Minho replied.

" What is it?" she asked.

" Look, that boy you're gonna meet tomorrow, I hope he buys you flowers, I hope he holds your hand, give you all his hours when he has the chance. Take you to every party cause I remember how much you loved to dance." Minho said.

" He will, Min." Sulli replied.

Minho sighed as he added:

" And do all the things I should have done, when I was your man."

Afterwards, he hung up the phone, and started crying.

Break-ups can be tough, that's a fact. But, they way Minho and Sulli ended it, was fine. They promised that they'd be each other's soulmates, each other's guardian angel. Sulli said it, she couldn't love Minho the way she did before,
but, Minho promised to love her as a friend and always be there for her, because that's what's real friendship is all about. Friendship is strong, and it never dies out.

Sometimes, Minho just regretted how he treated Sulli, and sometimes, he just wanted to go back in time and start all over again.

Do all the things I should have done, when I was your man.