The Lake and Sulliet

THIS CHRISTMAS

"Annyeonghaseyo,"

"Ah, Yang Seungho. Annyeong," greet Soyeon back careless.

Soyeon was sitting on the front porch with her laptop and a stack of paper work. Seungho sighed quietly when he see that. Two things that can not be separate, Soyeon and work.

"Where is your brother and sister?" ask Seungho.

"They're inside." Answer Soyeon once again with a short answer.

Seungho then sat on the bench next to Soyeon while trying take a peek at the papers on the top. Plan of activities for the company next year. Many programs will be plan. And almost all of the person in charge for the programs is Kwon Soyeon.

"You will be responsible for all of these programs next year?" asked Seungho.

"Um.." Soyeon replied a little. She did not divert even  bit of her concentration from the laptop screen.

"Today is a day off. Are you really going to keep working like this for the entire holiday?" asked Seungho again. This time Soyeon only answer him with a nod of the head.

Seungho purposely sigh once again, harder, to make Soyeon heard of it. To make her realize that there’s another person next to her. But, still, Soyeon remained unmoved with her laptop and papers. Can’t hold it any longer, Seungho press the turn off button on Soyeon’s laptop and make her laptop shut down immediately. Soyeon shocked and stared at her laptop speechless.

"Ya! Keumanhae. I'm still alive, Soyeon-a. Stop treating me like a ghost!" Said Seungho at Soyeon. But the girl was still staring at her laptop without blinking. And when she realized a split second later, Soyeon re-open his laptop really panic.

"Oh my God, all of my work! I haven’t saved it all yet. All of it! Yang Seungho!" Soyeon immediately shouted angrily at Seungho who instantly jump because of shocked.

"What do you think you were doing?!" Soyeon shouted angrily. But Seungho reply Soyeon’s eyes.

"I’m the one who should be asking that question to you, Kwon Soyeon. What were you doing all this time?" Said Seungho at Soyeon. Soyeon looked at him with a frown.

"Stop acting like you don’t know. You always live with your work. Even on the day off like this? You're even willing to waste many moments with your family on this wonderful Christmas. If you just want to be like this, you better don’t have to go home as well. Simply send parcels to Misook Ahjumma and also a Christmas greeting cards to all your brothers and sisters. I suppose it is better than you're here but not really here." Said Seungho makes Soyeon suddenly realize and looked over to see what is her family doing through the window.

Jiyeon and Hyomin are wrapping some Christmas gifts that have been separated by their mother. While Jihoon, Jongki, Jinwoon and Joon are decorating the ceiling with many Christmas decoration. Soyeon also can see their laugh and happiness.

Since Hyegyo left, Soyeon immediately retreated to the patio to complete all of her work that is still pilling up. And she even refused when Jiyeon asked her to go buying some Christmas supplies.

"They’re doing it without you. And they will feels much more fun if you were there, Soyeon-a. You've passed many wonderful moments for your work." Said Seungho. Soyeon finally realize, the purpose of completing her work that was never finished it so that she could spend this holiday with her family in peace. But it binds her instead.

Soyeon shut laptop and then collect all the papers. She then walked into the house without saying anything to Seungho and make him feel so disappointed. Soyeon definitely angry and do not want to see him anymore. And Seungho knows it well, when she's angry, Soyeon will be so much harder to reach.

But then Seungho looked at someone coming out from the house and sat down next to him.

"I want to go somewhere." Said Soyeon made ​​Seungho looked at her confused.

"You're not angry?" asked Seungho make Soyeon looked amused. Since a long time ago Seungho is always the one who is able to make her feel better.

"Why would I have to be angry? Are you done something bad that I need to be angry at?"

Seungho look at Soyeon confused. Soyeon then stood up and took the car keys from Seungho’s hand.

“I want to go somewhere. Your job is to be a good co-pilot. You understand?" Said Soyeon and lead the way toward Seungho’s car. Looking at her, Seungho smiled happily. Soyeon that he wanted is comeback. Before following Soyeon to his car, Seungho greet all of Soyeon family and ask permission to walk with Soyeon.

"Do you still remember the streets here, Soyeon-a?" Said Seungho at Soyeon when she started the car’s engine.

"I remember the way to the lake behind the high school we used to be." Said Soyeon and start to drive the car. Indeed, Pyeongchang has undergone many developments and changes. Soyeon who is only got home once a year really feel so unfamiliar with her hometown. Moreover, since the establishment of fairly large department store in the middle of downtown, it make the new street pretty hard to remember.

Soyeon parked the car right in front of the school entrance when they finally arrive. She immediately got out from the car followed by Seungho who previously took the jacket from the back seat. Seungho prepare the jacket because the weather is too cold and Soyeon just using a dress with a thin cardigan.

"This picture is still there?" Said Soyeon when she see a photo that still displayed neatly in cabinets and trophy plaque. Photo of Seungho with his basketball club that won the basketball competition in the entire high school in Pyeongchang.

"This school has not received a better team after the team in that photo." Said Seungho. He joined the team and became the captain that time, also with Jinwoon.

And suddenly Seungho pointed on something. " Hey, look! Kwon Soyeon, Seoul championship-winning English debate national level. Kwon Soyeon, Korean National Exam winner. Kwon Soyeon, winner of the best university scholarship in South Korea. Kwon Soyeon, Kwon Soyeon, Kwon Soyeon. It’s all your name here. Daebak!" said Seungho, pointing to the various frames contain certificates as well as charter, all bearing the name of Kwon Soyeon. Soyeon smiles proudly .

"I think this school is not yet find a replacement of Kwon Soyeon." Soyeon said as she walked back down the corridor class and now is heading to their old classroom. Slowly, Soyeon opened the door and walk inside.

"The composition of the table and the chair is still the same. I wonder if my olf table and chair is still there?" Soyeon said to herself. Seungho also do not plan to answer. He let Soyeon flew in her the memories of her high school alone.

Soyeon walked to the table and the bench in the middle of the classroom. Her position at the class before. Seungho followed her but still outside the walls of Soyeon and her memories.

Soyeon looked at the table and was surprised when she saw a carving on the table that written 'SsongMelody04'. It was Soyeon’s craved with her pens while she was bored in Korean language lessons on that time.

"It’s still here." Soyeon said softly, almost whispering. He it smoothly and smile about it.

"SsongMelody." Said Soyeon .

Seungho found Soyeon was thoughtfully silent staring at the table. "What are you doing?"

Soyeon instantly realize and hastily closed the crave with her hands. She shook his head quickly. "No. I just looking at the table and the chairs. I miss the atmosphere of the class." Soyeon revealed the lies that are able to make Seungho nodded his head.

"I want to go to the lake." Said Soyeon at Seungho.

"But it’s very cold outside. Maybe will snowing soon. It’ll better to go to the lake tomorrow. Wait for the weather getting warmer." Seungho replied instantly make Soyeon give him an annoyed glance.

"If you won’t join me, let me go there by myself. Wait for me in the car." Said Soyeon, who then immediately left the class. Make Seungho can’t do anything rather than follow. This girl does not ever get banned by anyone.

Seeing Soyeon who is now standing alongside the lake, hugging herself, trying to stay warm, Seungho walked over and put the jacket that deliberately brought from the car around her.

"Wear this jacket. Or you will catch a cold." Said Seungho. Soyeon only accept jacket that Seungho gave and looked back at the lake with a little smile.

"You know why the lake is very quiet?" asked Soyeon. Seungho stared at the girl did not understand. Why is she suddenly talking about the lake?

"What do you mean?" Seungho said. Soyeon looked at the lake in front of her. Seungho also start to stared at the lake, trying to find answers to Soyeon’s questions.

"People will fall in love with the beach and waterfalls rather than a lake. More beautiful and more interesting to look at. Not boring and quiet like a lake." Said Soyeon make Seungho frown don’t understand.

"Lake is very quiet because there is nothing special in it. Nothing can make it move. Uninhabited lake. Empty. There is only water and the water in it. Maybe just a small fish that are not capable of causing a ripple effect there. Nothing special." Said Soyeon. Seungho just shut up and looked at the girl without trying to trick him because he does not understand .

Soyeon hair flutter because the wind blow. Seeing that, Seungho reflex straighten hair and put it behind Soyeon ear.

"Your hair are really hard to handle, just like its owner." Said Seungho. Soyeon heard him saying and chuckled. She then looked at the clock and finally decided to go home.

"Let's go home. Mother makes Samgyetang tonight. You need to eat dinner at jome, okay." Said Soyeon and walk to the car after Seungho nodded his head.

-0-

“Ya, ya, ya! Where are you going this late?” ask Soyeon to Jinwoon who’s taking her helmet and want to walk outside the kitchen door without greet anybody first.

“Help me this once, noona. Cover me, eo? I really need to go.” ask Jinwoon to Soyeon that still washing dishes.

“Jinwoon-a, where are you going?” ask Soyeon make Jinwoon finally sigh and walk to Soyeon.

“I’m just going to meet with some friends, jinjja. I’ll be home before midnight.” Said Jinwoon make Soyeon look at the clock. Eight o’clok.

“I need you to be here at ten thirty o’clok.”

“Mwoya?! It’s to early. Eleven pas fifty. Eo?”

“Ya! You said before midnight!”

“It’s truly ten minutes before midnight, noona. Jinjjaro! Okay?”

“Eleven thirty!”

“Araso! Gomawo noona-ya. Saranghae!” said Jinwoon and kiss his noona cheek. He finally walk outside the house and push his motorcycle outside the house. After he arrive at the alley, he turn on the engine and go to Sulli house.

Sulli who still writing a novel on her laptop suddenly hear something. A sound of something that hitting her window. She walk to the window of her balcony and look down. And when she found the person who did that before, Sulli smile happy.

“Good night, Sulliet, how beautiful you are in front of the moonlight.” Said Jinwoon make Sulli suddenly laugh shyly. Jinwoon hitted Sulli windows with a little rock and now he whispering something like Romeo said to his Juliet.

“Ya, Oppa. Shiuss…” said Sully, afraid of her father maybe wake up.

“Sulli-ya, Sully-ya, let down your hair.”

“Now it’s Rapunzel.” Said Sully and laugh again. Finally, Sully walk down from her bedroom and found Jinwoon at her backyard.

“Ya, Oppa, how can you walk inside?”

“I climb up the fence. Kimbab and tteokbukkie, and one bottle of milk soda. Where can we have our night snack a little chit chat?” ask Jinwoon make Sulli laugh and pull Jinwoon. She take him to the attic by the back door that Sulli’s family usually use to have a night chit chat while looking at the star above the sky.

“You have a place like this?” ask Jinwoon make Sulli nodding her head and sit on the gazebo. They finally start to enjoying their food while telling story about each other.

“Sully-ya, it’s been a long time since I never saw you anymore. And now, you’ve change. I never thought that I can see you like this.”

“Wae, oppa? Because my bangs, braces, and my fat tummy?” ask Sulli.

“No. You were cute back then. But right now, you are beautiful.”

Sully smile shyly and biting her lips.

Suddenly,

“Jinri-ya, where are you?”

Sulli and Jinwoon startled together when they heard Sulli’s father’s voice. And they also can hear footstep. Both of them start to panic and start to packing all of the food.

“Oppa, hide. Quickly!” said Sulli and make Jinwoon walk behind the wall, try to hide himself. Not so long, Sulli’s father come.

“Why are you here, Sulli-ya? It’s already late. Go inside and get some sleep.” Said Sulli’s father.

“Eo… eo, appa. I just want to look at the star. I’ll get back in five minutes.”

“No. Now!”

Sulli nodding her head obediently because of her father order. She finally follow her father downstair. But before that, Sulli look at Jinwoon and waving her hand. Jinwoon also wave at her back and tell Sulli with that he will call her as soon as he gets back.

Soyeon look at her dongsaeng that come inside the house. She look at the clock and frown a little. “Still eleven o’clock. Why are you already here?” ask Soyeon make Jinwoon sigh and take a glass of water from the water dispenser.

“If I still there for a minute, I will die forever, noona. Thanks for your advice.”

“Eh?” said Soyeon didn’t understand what was her dongsaeng speaking. What an odd Jinwoon.  

To be Continued