Root of the Issue

If It was Meant to Be -

The black van pulled into the parking space. There was only the sound of breathing when the engine died out. Ryeowook closed his eyes, hand still gripping the key.

“Get out.”

Kyuhyun was still behind him, “Ryeowook-”

“Get out. Now.”

He kept his voice clipped and stiff. Anything more and he would unravel.

As he had for most of the night, Kyuhyun hesitated and then obeyed. That was likely the only reason they made it back. With a click of the seatbelt Kyuhyun was out of car. It was another minute before the car door shut. And as he had for most of the night, Ryeowook stared straight ahead and tried not to cry. The deep breaths really weren't working.

He slammed his head against the steering wheel in absolute frustration. Immediately, a painful dizziness enveloped him. Ryeowook grimaced, putting a hand to his head. He almost laughed at how stupid he was but what was the point?

He stayed like that for a while; leaned back in the driver’s seat. Eyes closed, he could almost ignore everything that ate at him. But an irritating beeping refused to let that happen.

Still with that grimace, Ryeowook looked at his watch. Eleven o’ clock.

Gradually, he found the energy to pull himself out of the vehicle and grab his bag from the back. Wearily dragging himself up to the hotel, Ryeowook didn’t notice the change until he was inside the lobby.

The lights were on.

He blinked. It was too late for the lights to be on. Something about power saving and cutting costs and a bunch of other reasons he didn’t understand but the point was the lights were supposed to be off. Yet they flooded the lobby.

Ryeowook wandered further in a haze. The shuffle of his footsteps caused the boy at the front desk to look up and consequently spring at him.

“Wookie! You’re back! We were freaking out when Yoona called for a ride!”

Jonny bounded over in relief. Ryeowook barely heard the blur of chatter bombarded at him. His head throbbed at the mention of Yoona. What was he going to tell her?

The younger jerked sharply on the taller’s sleeve, making Ryeowook blink.

He gestured to a figure behind him. “That girl has been here for five hours. She won’t let us take her to the airport and she wouldn't let us call your girlfriend.”

As he spoke, the brown-haired woman turned around to face them. Ryeowook blinked. Upon seeing him, Seo Joohyun smiled and stood from her place on the couch.

“They kept trying to get me in their car but I just couldn’t leave unfinished business.”

Ryeowook stared at her. The woman in front of him looked tired, frazzled, and nothing like the woman he’d met five days ago. A bag sat by her feet. Yet her expression was more content than he’d ever thought Seohyun could be. Snapping out of his daze, Ryeowook took a step back.

“Kyu – Kyuhyun left for your cabin,” he croaked out.

She only smiled, albeit sadly, “I'm done with Kyuhyun, Ryeowook. It's you I need to talk to....


 

He wasn’t sure how he made it back to his cabin. He wasn’t drunk but he felt like it. Everything passed by in a distorted haze; the trees, the path, the cabins. Not one drop of alcohol yet he felt like crap. Life was so unfair.

It seemed like a small victory when he found his cabin door unlocked, propped open by rocks. So Seohyun left after all. Shoving his way inside, Kyuhyun promptly threw himself on the bed, not bothering with the lights. His body was exhausted but he had no intention of sleeping. Rolling onto his back, Kyuhyun stared up at the ceiling.

Attraction: it was normal, right? To anyone, to any gender. It had to be real and sure and stable because … he was attracted to Ryeowook. Undeniably so. The fluttery heart and uncontrollable smiling. The need to be close and a fear of letting him go. All the pieces of a schoolboy crush. And with Ryeowook next to him, it felt like all those pieces were meant to be.

He wanted laugh and be happy because then Ryeowook would smile. And he loved his smile. He loved the way his hand would softly squeeze his because it meant they were connected. He loved being able to talk and tease and argue with him knowing that he wouldn’t get judged or shamed and eventually everything would work itself out.

But maybe it wouldn’t.

How long had he known Ryeowook? Five days; not a week. Who was he to think he knew the man? Attraction was normal but he had taken it too far. He couldn’t say what he’d wanted to say so he’d kissed him instead. Brash, stupid, irrational; no one word could sum up that one action. Just like no one word could envelop just what he felt for the guide.

Against his body’s protests, Kyuhyun rolled out of bed. Stepping towards the remaining bags, he tried to rationalize his next course of action. Leaving. As long as he had his papers, he could leave by the morning. And why wouldn’t he? There was no reason to stay, nothing to gain from waiting. Leaving was the logical decision.

Seohyun hadn’t touched much. The main suitcase lay opened on the floor with his passport on top of his clothes. That was good. Yet he didn’t feel relieved.

Almost too slowly, Kyuhyun packed up his sparse belongings. Zipped up his bags. In the near darkness, he picked up his passport. Something slid off, falling back onto the clothing. Kyuhyun ignored it as something else had caught his eye: a sheet of paper slipped behind the passport cover. He pulled it out.

 

Kyuhyun,
Ambiguity was never your strong suite, and I should have kept that in mind.
I’m sorry you wasted so much time with me. Imagine all the things you could have realized without a girlfriend tying you down. I guess I did stand more in your way than you did in mine, mostly because you did pay for everything. Have fun at Ryeowook’s performance tomorrow. He’s an adorable little man.  
Formally speaking,
Seohyun
P.S. This doesn’t mean you get the apartment.

 

Kyuhyun read it. Then he reread it and read it again. The disjointed note, printed in the world’s neatest handwriting, was truly the epitome of his ex-girlfriend’s style of communication. From the indefinite apology to the closing remark, everything screamed of Seohyun. Well, except for the fact that she’d left a note.

Looking down, he saw what had fallen from the passport. Nestled between a pair of boxers, was his ring. And it was still his ring because he had never proposed. With great care, he picked it up.

Holding it to the light, he smiled, remembering Ryeowook’s expression when he was first told of the proposal. A true little romantic. So excited. And now here he was: rejected once again, by the girl who’d known his plan the entire time. How had he not seen this coming?

And Ryeowook’s face resurfaced in his mind. Ryeowook laughing, smiling, screaming, hurt. A petite and perky guide transformed to a beautiful, clever man; weaving his way into his heart and making him question everything he thought he knew. The answer seemed simple enough. How could he have seen that coming?

As much as Kyuhyun had tried, life had not become stable due to this trip. It had weakened, destabilized, and then fallen apart. And he was so glad. He did not want another second of his awkward, predictable life with the biggest risk being his annual yes-or-no question.

He wanted traveling. He wanted music. He wanted Ryeowook.


 

“Here’s the phone you gave me for the beach by the way.”

Ryeowook limply accepted the device, eyes still glued to the floor. His expression was one of complete devestation.

Seohyun sighed. She wished she could do more, but this itself was too much. Already, she had to remind herself the real reason for his pain. Lifting her bag up off the floor, she walked past the man still  staring at nothing. Seohyun tapped on the chauffeur beside him.

"Airport. Please." Her clipped English jolted the boy out of his confusion. She gave him a tight smile and held out her bag. It took him a moment, but when the boy grabbed the strap and headed outside, Seohyun gave allowed herself to look at Ryeowook one last time. 

“You were a great guide,” she whispered, unsure if he’d heard her as he slowly dialed the cellphone.


 

*Dial tone*

*Click*

SeungGi, stop calling! I told you I’d get to it when I get to it!

(Pause) You should probably pay more attention to caller ID, Yoona.

(Pause) Oh…Oh, Ryeowook! Where are you? I’ve been waiting for hours!

I’m sorry it took so long to get back. Kyuhyun kissing me kind of threw off the schedule.

(Long pause) What?

I didn’t pull away or anything. Just let him kiss me. It felt nice. Didn’t have to use any energy or anything. I can see why you let me do it all the time.

(Silence)

See? It’s not that hard to tell the truth is it?

Ryeowook. What are you talking ab-

Why would you lie to me, Yoona? Do you really think of me as so pathetic that I would want your pity?

Ryeowook-

Seohyun told me everything. 

(Pause) That -!

Don’t call her that!

I can’t believe she would lie to you! Just because her relationship failed-

SHE IS NOT A LIAR! SHE HAS NO REASON TO LIE! I SEE YOUR EMAILS AND PHONE CALLS AND YOUR FAKE EVERYTHING! YOU ARE THE LIAR! WE’VE BEEN TOGETHER FIVE YEARS AND YOU STILL TREAT ME LIKE SOME CHILD TO PITY OVER! YOU – YOU ARE THE !

(Heavy breathing on both ends)

Ryeowook, whatever you think you know-

You’ve been cheating on me. That’s all I need to know.

(Pause) Ryeowook, where are you?

Not anywhere that you’ll find. You’re not breaking up with me face to face Yoona. If my boss hadn’t offered you a free trip to the tropics you would have just kept leading me on-

That’s not true!

-and I would have let you. (pause and shaky inhale) But I'm not letting you anymore. So it up Yoona. Because you’re getting dumped over the phone.

Ryeowook-!

We’re over. Goodbye.

*Click*


 

He’d tried the lobby. Then the dining hall. He’d even considered trying every single cabin on the property, but he gave up when a man came out and yelled at him. Kyuhyun just didn’t know where else Ryeowook could be.

Collapsing into the bedside armchair, he gazed wearily at the clock. Two in the morning. That was either really late or really early.

Every bone in his body ached for a rest. His eyes could barely stay open and he could barely find the effort to move his head. 

Carefully, he pulled out the golden band from his pocket. He no longer had the velvet box but he did have the ring. Kyuhyun held it up to eye level, smiling. The thin band, pinched between his fingers, still shined. As exhaustion took over and his eyes drifted shut, Kyuhyun couldn’t help but let the little sliver of hope into his dreams.  

All the drama, all the confusion, all the chaos; all started by the arrangement of polished minerals before him.

Maybe, just maybe, it would end it as well.


 

This is so short. I apologize.

It's a week before Spring Break which means testing galore. On the other hand, I'm about to get a week without any school so more time for updates! Yay!

Thank you for all your helpful comments!