In its Place

If It was Meant to Be -

Quickly, Ryeowook directed his attention to the half-eaten dessert. He did not want to see what was about to come next.

A harsh scrape of chair against tile flooring and the sharp clack of heels were the only signs of Seohyun’s departure from the table. No yelling. No drama. Her silent departure was both relieving and unnerving.

Slowly, the clamor and noise of the restaurant returned to them to reality. Ryeowook idly spooned his pudding; desperately ignoring the intense gaze focused upon him. Maybe he shouldn't have infuriated the man's girlfriend. Actually, he definitely should have kept quiet. Ryeowook legitimately feared looking up for the chance that he would meet a glaring Kyuhyun. The thought was paralyzing enough. So Ryeowook continued to play with his food.

After a few moments of this, he felt the weight of the other’s eyes lift and heard him return to scraping his own dessert. Exhaling, Ryeowook dared to glance up. Turns out he was wrong. 

Kyuhyun still had his eyes trained on him and by looking up, Ryeowook inadvertently met his gaze. Unlike what he’d assumed, Kyuhyun seemed neither hostile nor angry. Instead, the handsome male had his head tilted curiously, as if observing smaller. When their eyes met, he offered a timid smile.

“Ryeowook?” The man’s lips moved in a soft whisper.

“Yes?”

“I missed you today.” His round eyes were sincere and apologetic as he stared straight into him. The sudden statement made Ryeowook stiffen as a wave of uncertain emotions swept in. The scene was far too resonant of last night.

Realizing he’d crossed a line, Kyuhyun hurriedly attempted to retract his statement.

“I-I meant, I wish you’d been there to-to guide us and-and tell us what not to do today. It was kind of boring without you and – I poked a dead jellyfish-”

Slowly, the shock from his previous statement wore off. Watching the nervousness before him, Ryeowook could feel the corners of his mouth turn up into a stupid grin only Kyuhyun seemed to bring out.  Genuine laughter bubbled up which covering his mouth did little to hide.

The other man groaned in frustration, “God, I must look ridiculous to you. It's like I can’t stop saying stupid stuff today.”

Ryeowook shook his head. That wasn’t stupid, “You’re not ridiculous, just too tense.”

“That’s the ridiculous part. It’s you. I shouldn’t be tense.” Kyuhyun laughed nervously.

Ryeowook joined in, completely unaware as to what he meant. “Yeah, you’re right. I’m just the guide; I shouldn't give you any reason to be tense. Just, relax. Nothing from before should affect you or....”

“No, this isn't your...” Kyu glanced away as if embarrassed, “Okay. I meant: You’re my friend. I consider you a friend. I should want to be around my friends. I should be comfortable around my friends.”

Ryeowook blinked. “So that make me not your friend?”

“No! I definitely… You definitely are a friend. If you weren’t my friend, I wouldn’t know what to call you.”Kyuhyun his lips nervously, his eyes seemingly glued to the tablecloth. 

Ryeowook was floored. Friends? They had said five words to each other all night. Kyuhyun was miserable on the double date Ryeowook had dragged him on, and now they were - 

“Friends? Friends,” He repeated, a small laugh spilling out, “Where did you - ? How did you even - ? Friends?

Kyuhyun looked up at him, puzzled. “Um, yes?”

“Friends? You sit through a miserable dinner that I drag you on and now we’re friends? Is that how people make friends nowadays?” His amusement had now overflowed into a loud and probably unattractive laughter, but Ryeowook didn't care. It too damn funny. 

“Well, it's not just tonight,” Kyuhyun brows were furrowed as he tried to catch up, "It's...everything. You've been just great, I guess. I mean, I usually take so much time to get comfortable around people but you're always so genuine and caring, it's hard to not want to be your friend."

As his words sank in, Ryeowook's breathing slowly steadied out and the hysteria faded to a slight buzz. Still a little euphoric, he tried speaking again.

“I-I don’t think I saw that one coming.”

“Yeah," The taller frowned, "I hope that's not how you react to love confessions or people could get seriously offended.” 

Another laugh spilled out but Ryeowook quickly suppressed it, “I'm sorry. I just, I didn’t think you wanted anything to do with me after yesterday,” he avoided mentioning last night, “I’m just pleasantly surprised, I guess. Especially now that we’re on this double-date and everything is just going wrong for you,” Kyuhyun grimaced which really made him want to laugh again

“I really didn’t think Yoona would be so overbearing with the idol questions. It's obviously weird for you and I should've said something. I guess that makes me a lousy friend. Plus,on top of that, we’re just sapping away your pre-proposal time with Seohyun which is exactly what you needed more of.” His voice faltered out. The taller was staring at him blankly. Ryeowook cringed internally, wondering if pointing out all these flaws was really his best idea.

Kyuhyun blinked at him for a few seconds then very slowly, he spoke. “Ryeowook. Are you blind? I am not proposing to Seohyun. I’m going to be lucky to leave with our relationship intact.”

Now it was Ryeowook’s turn to be dumbfounded, “What? Are you serious?”

“Yeah,” The other stated as if it were the most obvious thing in the world, “Have you noticed how we've been interacting? I think talking with your girlfriend was the most fun Seo’s had all week.”

“Wha- But- You-” Ryeowook stuttered.

“Look, I know this made sense to you, but it just doesn't make sense right now, you know? Work has put a lot of things between us and I suppose I didn’t realize until now how much we needed to fix them. I just cannot propose until we do. I mean, what’s the point in asking if she’s just going to say no?” He chuckled as if amused, “I think we just need to unwind for the rest of this trip and find a counselor when we get home. She’ll never even know my orignal plan and life will go on.”

A slight pause. “Wow.” Ryeowook slumped back in his seat. What Kyuhyun was saying made sense. He would look like a moron if he proposed at this point, but it hadn’t even occurred to Ryeowook that he wouldn’t even try. Strangely enough, he didn't know how he was supposed to feel. The news triggered something in him, oddly enough. He wasn't even sure what it was.

“So anyways, going off that,” Kyuhyun continued as if nothing had happened, “It seemed like Seohyun was actually more comfortable with you around. She didn’t even want to go in the water after I found that jellyfish, but if you could come with us tomorrow, it might calm her down. Just hang around like you usually do, basically.”

“Um, yeah, sure.” His mind reeled from the sudden change of events. Ryeowook could barely comprehend how Kyuhyun had gone from flustered to composed so quickly leaving him the bewildered one. As he hurriedly brushed off the confusion, the meaning of Kyu’s request finally triggered in his mind.

“Oh! You mean you want me to go with you to the beach?”

 The other male looked up from his dessert. “Yeah, does that work for you?”

“Well, that works perfectly!” Despite the news, Ryeowook’s excitement was back in full swing, “There’s a ferry that takes you to the other island where they have the black sand beaches. They’re completely unique to volcanic islands! You will love them!”

“Sounds good.” Kyuhyun responded with a small smile.

“Yeah! I didn’t want to send you off because then you couldn’t get back without English but if I go with you it works perfectly. And since you said Seohyun likes Yoona, we could bring her too!”

Something flashed Kyuhyun’s eyes. His jaw shifted and the smile fell off his face.

“Actually, I don’t think-”

“Ryeowook!”

The guide turned to see Seohyun striding towards him in a panic.

“Ryeowook!”

“Seohyun!” he exclaimed, “Your blouse is all wet!”

The high-strung woman didn’t seem to care though as she flew straight towards their table.

“Ryeowook, I have to show you something.”

“Oh, it can wait Seohyun. Your shirt is soaked!”

“Yeah, but-”

We should pay and get you back to your cabin. Yoona and I will be taking you guys to the sister island tomorrow and there will be much more interesting stuff to see there. ” He said, dismissing her urgency as a tourist finding a crab or scorpion.

“Yoona? No. Ryeowook!”

“Seohyun, what is it?” Kyuhyun finally interjected, looking slightly ticked off.

His girlfriend grimaced, “It’s-”

Just then, Yoona appeared from the bathroom hallway. Ryeowook eagerly waved her over, much to the apparent dismay of both Seohyun and Kyuhyun. Bouncing to the table, the doe-like girl quickly absorbed scene before her.

“Hey, what’s going on?”

“Seohyun’s soaked. We’re going with them to the black sand beaches tomorrow, but we should get back to hotel right now.”

Yoona gasped. “The beach? That sounds great! Oh, we do get more time together!” She chirped excitedly, beaming at Seohyun.

The other girl gawked at her for just a second. The slamming shut, she offered the tightest of smiles. “Yay. We’re going have so much fun.”

His girlfriend squealed and grabbed Seohyun’s hand, pulling her towards the exit in excitement. Picking up her jacket, Ryeowook turned Kyuhyun. The man was still slightly gaping at whatever scene had just taken place.

“Hey, come on. We pay at the front.” Snapping Kyuhyun out of his daze.

“Oh, um, yeah.” Hesitantly, the taller stood and gathered his things. The hardness of his jaw was still there but he wouldn’t look up so Ryeowook couldn’t tell if that strangeness in his eyes remained.

“Hey. Are you okay?”

Kyuhyun merely grunted. Ryeowook frowned. This was not Kyuhyun-moodiness. It seemed like Seohyun-moodiness. Wandering up to the taller, he lightly grabbed his shoulder. Kyuhyun reacted almost violently to the touch, jerking backwards in a spasm.

“Sorry,” Ryeowook apologized quickly to the other’s stunned expression, “I just wanted to make sure you were okay.”

“Well, I’m fine.”

"Are you sure? Because-"

"I'm fine." The taller roughly shook him off and started heading for the exit. 

“No, wait,” he grabbed Kyuhyun’s arm this time. The taller stiffened but didn’t pull away. Ryeowook made sure to look him in the eyes, “You decided we were friends tonight. I think I agree, but for you to be my friend we have to more than just comfortable around each other. You have to be truthful. Now, are you okay?”

Kyuhyun and his lips. At first it seemed like he wasn’t going to say anything but with a sigh he relented.

“I’ll be okay.”

“…Good.” Reluctantly, Ryeowook released him. As much as he wanted to ask what was bothering the taller, it didn’t seem his place to ask.

But perhaps Kyuhyun wanted him to ask. Instead of leaving, Kyuhyun lingered staring into Ryeowook’s eyes. They were a dark warm brown, tinted slightly with confusion. Or maybe it was distress. Something troubled. And It would have been so easy to get lost in those dark round orbs, right there in the middle of the restaurant, but Ryeowook forced himself into reality. 

“Congratulations. You are now officially my friend.” There was a slight waver in his voice but the taller still smiled in return. 

“And you are completely mine.” Kyuhyun’s voice felt like less than a whisper but somehow, the chaos of the outside world faded to nothing and he heard his words loud and clear. Perhaps it wasn’t so easy to escape those eyes.

Tentatively, Kyuhyun raised his hand near Ryeowook’s face. It was so close. He could almost feel the warmth on his cheek. A soft caress. But at last second, he lowered his hand and awkwardly brushed at the shorter’s shoulder.

“Lint.” He offered blankly.

The abruptness of motion jolted Ryeowook out of his trance. A thousand disappointments crashed onto him, but he only brushed them off as nothing.

“Thanks. Friend.” He mumbled, when Kyuhyun pulled his hand away.

“No problem. Friend.” Before anything else could happen, the taller quickly turned away and continued for the front desk where the girls stood.

Ryeowook's heart pounded, watching Kyuhyun retreat. His face flushed and his breathing hitched. All stirring up the troubling emotions which made him want to scream. 

Well that was odd.

______________________________________________________________________________

 

I can’t just dump him.

Seohyun poured the contents of her bag onto the bed. Napkins, sunscreen, chapstick; none of which she was looking for.

We’ve been together for five years.

She had to have packed it. She had to. They were on an island near the equator. How could she not think to pack something for sunburns?

Well, what am I supposed to do?

“Seo?” Kyuhyun’s voice rang out from the bathroom.

“Yes, Kyuhyun? Can you shower?” She began ruffling through the other bags, desperately searching for just one tube of treatment.

“No. It really stings. I think this is a really bad burn.”

Of course I don’t want to stay with him.

Coming up empty handed, Seohyun mentally cursed herself. How could she have forgotten something so obvious?

Her boyfriend strode out half into the bedroom with a sour expression on his face. If his torso wasn't bright red, Seohyun might have found herself mildly attracted him.

“Seohyun, since a shower really isn’t possible without burning pain on my part, would it be okay if I-”

“No!” No way was he getting in bed smelling like seaweed.  

This caused her boyfriend to heave an annoyed sigh which in turn only served to make her even more irritated.

“Look, Kyuhyun. Just rinse your hair normally and scrub down the rest of your body with a wet towel or something.”

“But it really stings.”

“Well too bad! You’re the one who refused to put on more sunscreen.”

He still needs me right now. He’s always needed me.

Exhaling loudly, Kyuhyun turned back into the bathroom muttering something about crappy hotels with no bathtubs.

“You’re the one who booked this place!”

Her comment earned her a loud door slam.

Well I don't care!

Sighing she went back through all the bags one more time. Just because he would wash himself didn’t mean she wanted to hear him groaning in discomfort all night.

Do you not understand? I can’t just dump him! 

A slumped black bag sat thrown into a corner. Edging over to it, Seohyun cautiously began to rifle through the contents. She’d already found its ultimate secret, but perhaps Kyuhyun’s backpack contained more.

Are you saying it’s bad that I won’t do it over the phone?

A laptop. Flashdrives. About twenty different cords and cables. Seohyun scoffed at her technology obsessed husband. Though to his credit, he hadn’t played his games once this week. In fact, the equipment looked untouched. A cover, maybe?

I am letting him go. Just give me some time.

Digging through the bag, she came up with nothing but business cards and more cables. She ped the final pouch in the desperate hope that her boyfriend had thought ahead for once. But no. It was just the engagement ring.

That doesn’t mean anything. 

The little black box fit perfectly in her hand. It was standard velvet, perfectly new. Seohyun chuckled dryly. On an emotional level, Kyuhyun was both blind and deaf, but even he couldn’t have the nerve to propose after the way she’d treated him all week.

Trust me. I know how to handle a break-up.

Cautiously, she pried open the box. Inside sat a simple square cut diamond on a golden band. The lines were elegant and classy, adding just enough sparkle to look daring. It was a pretty piece. 

And suddenly, it hit her.

He just needs to stand on his own. As soon as he can do that, I can call it over.

The ring triggered nothing.

She'd been so furious when she had first found it. Just blinding anger and frustration. But now ... nothing. Nothing at all. Where she once felt anger and hurt, there was only indifference. 

He might not even be upset.

Was she still outraged at his audacity to propose after two months of ignoring their relationship? Of thinking one week would fix everything? Completely. But it was Kyuhyun. She knew Kyuhyun and she understood how he thought. How could she hate the man for doing what he thought was right? Last-ditch effort or not...

We’ve been drifting apart for years, anyway.

The ring in her hand was just that. A ring. It wasn’t Kyuhyun’s thoughtlessness or her own overreacting. It was nothing.

Just like their relationship.

Trust me. Once Ryeowook gets through his performance on Friday, he’ll realize he doesn’t need me anymore and we can all move on with our lives. I won’t even have to tell him about us. 

Are we good? Okay.

Bye. Love you. 

 

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________

[For those of you who got confused, the italics in the second scene show what Seohyun heard Yoona saying at the restaurant.] 

Yay! A little Kyuwook because it's been lacking lately. Forgive me if I'm taking forever to move on from set-up, but I realized I screwed up the orginal plot and now I'm rebuilding a good chunk of my storyline. Ah well. We'll be moving forward soon!

Thank you to all my patient and motivating readers! =)